HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-call Cheapshots On Flyers

Old
12-21-2008, 10:08 AM
kicksave27

vCash: 500
The league could still hand down a penalty on a play the refs blow. But the league is a joke, and run by idiots. It just is. They say the want to protect the players from head shots. Gagne, in the top 10 in scoring, with a history of concussions gets a blatant late cheap shot. Carter, leading the NHL in goals gets a forarm to the back of the head after scoring a goal, but no call. On a franchise that is actually turning a profit and one of the most successful in the league history. But they just want to protect certain star players who get preferential treatment, like crosby (who you can't touch since he got in the league). Much like the NBA with the "jordan rules", funny bettman used to work for the NBA. Too bad Snider didn't take the commish job. Maybe the league wouldn't be a roting corpse.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:01 AM
MountainHawk

The officiating is poor leaguewide, and unless the NHL starts publicly punishing officals for horrendous performances (see: The NFL, who publicly apologizes to teams for calls that affect games, and occasionally even announces discipline), it's not going to improve, IMO.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 11:46 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Sure, there have been some ridiculous non-calls on the Flyers this year, but without the Canes walking out from Walker's board on Alberts with a 5 on 3 plus, I doubt the Flyers would be able to summon the emotion that was needed to make that comeback.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:02 PM
turkinaa

I was really hoping that Brasher would have gotten a much harsher call and a review. I was under the impression that all games were monitored, but lately I get the feeling that they don't even care about the health of the players or the quality of reffing in the league. I can understand a missed call here and there, but when bad hits are not reviewed and reffing isn't fixed (this could be for any number of reasons like if the player isn't put into the hospital) the league is doing something wrong.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2008, 08:39 PM
wrx27

I was ready for Gratton to get a ten gamer today! Not that the hit warranted it but we seem to get smoked on those types of hits where it seems its ok to do it to us. I hate the double standard and it is very evident!

wrx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2008, 07:44 AM
kicksave27

I thought the devils dmen turned back into the boards at the last second or two. You gotta be a little smart and take care of yourself if you feel a guy coming. It's still a minor. Those hits on powe and alberts were blatant and dangerous. If they refs were smarter than a toaster you could make the turning at the last second calls 2 min, and the trailing a guy who's back is facing you the whole time and drilling him in to the boards (aka the hollweg), a 5 min major.

Old
12-31-2008, 07:34 AM
rayearth

Tack another one onto the list.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:25 AM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Gagne, in the top 10 in scoring, with a history of concussions gets a blatant late cheap shot.
again

Since cambell is useless, at some point you gotta send gratton or cote after the other teams top player, i don't give 2 craps about bieska, they take out gagne, you take out a sedin. Clarke would have made sure one of them left on a stretcher.

Old
12-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
again

Since cambell is useless, at some point you gotta send gratton or cote after the other teams top player, i don't give 2 craps about bieska, they take out gagne, you take out a sedin. Clarke would have made sure one of them left on a stretcher.

By your way of thinking, they then send out Hordichuk to take out Carter.

...what does that accomplish?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
By your way of thinking, they then send out Hordichuk to take out Carter.

...what does that accomplish?
Opus, I agree -- it makes a game unplayable at some point.

But, again, we keep getting cheapshots on our players with no calls, and borderline calls at best go against us. It's not a homeristic view, either. What are we to do exactly? These are people, and one day, someone is going to be seriously injured by one of these cheap shots. How can we stand by and let it continue?

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Opus, I agree -- it makes a game unplayable at some point.

But, again, we keep getting cheapshots on our players with no calls, and borderline calls at best go against us. It's not a homeristic view, either. What are we to do exactly? These are people, and one day, someone is going to be seriously injured by one of these cheap shots. How can we stand by and let it continue?
Last night was the second cheap shot on Gags this year, with no penalty or anything. This time he got hurt, albeit not serious, but its bound to happen. Hockey is a dangerous, violent sports, and people are going to get hurt, and unfortunately hurt badly, but when it becomes apparent that its ok to go after a certain team, it gets scary. Sorry I'm not paying to see guys deliberately hurt people. Scottie Upshall gets 5 and a misconduct for a 2 minute call at best, and a lecture about how this needs to step, yet it seems once a week someone on the Flyers gets drilled into the boards, with no mention of it. Its annoying. I understand you can miss a call here or there, but come on, 5 in a month? Isnt the league supposed to review these things after the fact?

That said, I agree with Big Guy (see what I did there? lol). How can we stand buy and let this continue? When is enough going to be enough? WHen is Mr. Snider going to rip heads off in the league office, or call them out? Whens Holmgren going to say something? WHen is Stevens going to tap Cote or Gratton on the shoulder and give them a number to go after? I heard Vancouver people *****ing about Richards not getting an instigator for his fight with Bieska. You got away with trying to hurt (and succeded I may add) a star NHL player. Shut Up. When is enough finally enough? Do we need to coax McSorely out of retirement? lol.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:04 PM
FrederickFlyer27

Snider needs to say something.

FrederickFlyer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
It wasn't a cheap shot, it was an overzealous play where the ref blew the call. It wasn't blatant or dirty or where he was trying to hurt him.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 03:27 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It wasn't a cheap shot, it was an overzealous play where the ref blew the call. It wasn't blatant or dirty or where he was trying to hurt him.
I have to agree to this. It was a board in nature, but not dirty. He hit Gagne and Gagne was a few feet from the boards, he's going to go into the boards. Should have been a penalty, no suspension. The argument for me is why the ref's head was shoved up his ass to not call a penalty.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 05:58 PM
mdm815

I have to disagree a little bit. The hit may not have been entirely dirty, but he came in late after the puck was gone, and hit him when it no longer affected the play in any way other than potentially hurting Gagne, which it did. Plus in every other suspension you have ever seen, the NHL bases the length off of the result of the play. Thats the wrong way to do it, but they blew this one bad in my opinion.

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 06:10 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederickFlyer27 View Post
Snider needs to say something.
by that dont you mean peter lukko? i love ed but i see a sad day coming when this will be completely a comcast team.

jay, where are you when we need you most.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 06:17 PM
MountainHawk

The best solution to this is to win. **** the revenge ********.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 06:58 PM
PlantersOye

And thus I say that the referees judge with bias. Besides, we have a reputation as one of the most, if not the most, "rowdiest" fans in the history of the NHL. But that's because we purely put our faith, sole into the Flyers.

How many of the referees are Canadian? Just wondering.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 09:32 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast View Post
And thus I say that the referees judge with bias. Besides, we have a reputation as one of the most, if not the most, "rowdiest" fans in the history of the NHL. But that's because we purely put our faith, sole into the Flyers.

How many of the referees are Canadian? Just wondering.
Fans != Players

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 11:42 AM
kicksave27

guess it extends to their prospects and JVR. Do they replace the stop signs on the back of canadian kids jerseys with Go green lights or a bullseye?

Old
01-03-2009, 05:21 AM
qwertysac

About Perry's elbow tonight on Giroux - Im glad the kids alright but Perry deserves a suspension for it no doubt.

Does anybody know what happens in a situation like this? Will the league automatically review the play? Does flyers management or coaching staff send the tape to the league or do anything?

it's total BS if he gets off scott free after a headshot like that, if that's not worth a suspension i dont know what is.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Anyone got a video?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:26 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
the silver lining here is, they did call a penalty, and a double minor to boot. its better than what the flyers HAVE been getting

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
the silver lining here is, they did call a penalty, and a double minor to boot. its better than what the flyers HAVE been getting
They called him for high-sticking. They could not have botched that call any worse.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:02 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
They called him for high-sticking. They could not have botched that call any worse.
There is no such thing as a double minor for elbowing. So they did whatever they could to not give Peahead a major. It's crap. It's also not surprising.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote