HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Synergy Elite?

Old
12-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Wease

vCash: 500
Easton Synergy Elite?

Anyone use one of these? Let me tell you a quick story...

I have an older Easton Synergy Pro Stock Jody Shelley. Long story on how I got it, but it's been a great stick and I can be a cheapskate when it comes to buying new equipment. I haven't been able to break the thing, but there are chunks missing from the blade, etc., so I decide to get one of those new S17's. Bad idea. I've broken TWO in about a month. F me. And I am NOT hard on sticks. Both sticks broke the same way, they cracked along the bottom of the blade. So now I'm back to square one on what to get, after I get this last S17 replaced via warranty and sell it on Ebay or something.

I was in a store last night and was checking out the Easton Synergy Elite sticks. Very lightweight, but I'm concerned that it will be just as crap as the S17 in terms of wear. I play about three times a week and I want something that's lightweight and will last. I'm sure I can't have both of those, so I'd rather it be the lightest, best balanced stick that will put up with some punishment. A few guys have told me to get a Easton Synergy SL, but I'm not even sure if they make those anymore. I was told they will take a beating and I think it might be the same thing as my Shelley stick.

So, is this Easton Synergy Elite any good? What else should I check out? A good closeout stick is a bonus, so I can save some cash. Thoughts?

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Brodeur

The older sticks like the ST/SL will be limited in terms of flex/curves. Since it seems like you're breaking the blades as opposed to the shaft, perhaps you can consider a two piece tapered stick?

Most "one" piece sticks are really two piece tapered sticks that have the connection point painted to cover up that it's a two piece stick. This way you're buying a $45-50 blade instead of a $200 stick if you need a replacement.

Theoretically you shouldn't be able to tell the difference. Although plenty of my friends are pretty stubborn in this regard and will only use one piece sticks.

Most companies offer a high end tapered shaft equivalent of their one piece sticks. That might just be the way I'd go personally.......and you'd have the bonus of being able to switch curves. Ie, I might like Easton/Mission shafts but neither make a 3/4" mid curve anymore.....but I could slap on a CCM Thornton, RBK Bergeron, Warrior Smyth instead.

Otherwise, the best deal I've seen lately has been Warrior sticks for $99: http://hockey.philbricks.net/page.ht...icks&aff=front

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Wease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Otherwise, the best deal I've seen lately has been Warrior sticks for $99: http://hockey.philbricks.net/page.ht...icks&aff=front
Great response, thanks! And that's a killer deal right there!

Old
12-23-2008, 01:59 PM
JorgeRocks!

One90's are tanks man, can not go wrong. Same with vapor xx's

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 09:04 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
I've got a pro-stock Tom Gilbert SE that's held up for 6 months, and I don't see myself breaking it anytime soon...

(I play in beer league once a week where slap-shots are very few and far between.)

AHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2008, 09:57 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
SL's are not durable. Great while they last but durability is not something I would say comes with an SL. If you want durability and performance the best stick I have used is a Warrior Dolomite with the soft grip. No chips but it's not as light as an SL. Haven't used the One90 so no opinion on that. I'd try a Warrior.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 05:23 AM
iceman_88888888

easton elites are amazing when they're new and still pretty awesome when it's breaking down. the stick's durability issue lies in the blade and not the shaft... which seems to be the issue with all easton sticks. i've gone thru 4 elites and 2 s17's in about 3 years and all the problems have been with the blade breaking or the foam inside breaking down to powder and then breaking.

the performance and the feel is unmatched in any other stick but if the durability is an issue, go with a warrior dolomite. i've used one for about a year and a bit and had no problems until some jack@$$ hacked it and snapped it. the shots rocket off the stick but the feel is lacking due to its full carbon-fiber blade. nbh190's are also great sticks but feel a little unbalanced. either stick pales in comparison to the balance and the weight of the elite, tho, but are still good primary or backup sticks (and they're on blowout now to boot).

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Wease

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
all the problems have been with the blade breaking or the foam inside breaking down to powder and then breaking.
That's exactly what happened to my two, I believe. I just picked up a Warrior Dolomite on clearance for under $100 and I got it today. You are correct, it does not feel nearly as light and balanced as the S17, however, it feels more solid. The S17 almost felt too light and there was nothing to that blade. The Warrior Dolomite has a heavier blade to it and I'll get to try it out this weekend...