HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban will be fun to watch as a Hab

Old
01-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Hab it

vCash: 500
Subban will be fun to watch as a Hab

Players come around all too rarely that actually make the game more fun to watch. I truly believe P.K will be one of those players. Like Kovalev but a lot faster. It will be frustrating when he turns over the puck on an unsuccessful rush BUT his successfull rushes will more than make up for it and it will add exitement and we can only hope he is not stifled. Currently leads the world juniors in points by a Dman and has the highest plus minus at +12. On the ice for 23 of Canada's 31 goals so far I read . I know we need the stay at home safe Dmen as well but I am really excited to see what this great talent and amazing personality add to our team.

Hab it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Kman777

He's got the same jump in his step and the same enthusiasm that makes Ovechkin exciting.

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Lone Rogue

The moment he is ready I can't wait to see him on the Habs. I don't want the kid rushed either. I'd rather see him put up 40 points in the AHL than be pushed onto the roster and be murdered for bad defensive mistakes.

If we play our cards right, we'll never have to worry about putting a forward on our PP or hoping Swiss players step up for us. Subban will be the PP Quarterback for at least 5 years.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

he's still skinny. I can't wait to see him get some more muscle on his frame, he will be a force.physically as well as offensively if he does. I see him as becoming a harder hitting, more defensively aware but maybe not as offensively gifted mike green.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
he's still skinny. I can't wait to see him get some more muscle on his frame, he will be a force.physically as well as offensively if he does. I see him as becoming a harder hitting, more defensively aware but maybe not as offensively gifted mike green.
Skinny? He's 5'11" 208lbs. He's built like a tank.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Toro

I agree, Subban really looks like he has progressed greatly. I really like his transition game and his ability to move the puck quickly from anywhere. Subban will play for montreal at some point next season for sure. Maybe he will need 20 or so games in the AHL but he will crack the lineup next year. He is really becoming a complete top defenceman. I would like to see him on the second pair with Hamrlik.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
^ not sure if he'll be a reg next year but i totally agree with hamrlik. every rookie D should be broken in with Hammer

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:37 PM
1UP

From fringe player in the WJC to it's finest defenseman in 1 year.

And a fantastic attitude and ethic. Go Subban!

1UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:53 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Skinny? He's 5'11" 208lbs. He's built like a tank.
Really? I saw him with those skin tight suits in an interview on RDS and he looks thin. I wouldn't have placed him at over 200 and i'm usually great at guessing weight (don't ask).

Sorry, i just get the feeling that if he were in the NHL now he'd get pushed around by the tougher forwards. I'd LOVE for him to be physically dominating, but if he already weighs 208 and he isn't crushing people at his level, maybe he never will be a hard hitting monster.

Don't get me wrong, i'm really loving p.k and i'm not trying to be negative. Anyone here watch belleville games? I wouldn't be surprised if he has toned down his physical game to be more defensively reliable at such a prestigious event. Is he very physical with belleville?

Old
01-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

IMO Subban is the best Dman in the WJC so far.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:06 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Really? I saw him with those skin tight suits in an interview on RDS and he looks thin. I wouldn't have placed him at over 200 and i'm usually great at guessing weight (don't ask).

Sorry, i just get the feeling that if he were in the NHL now he'd get pushed around by the tougher forwards. I'd LOVE for him to be physically dominating, but if he already weighs 208 and he isn't crushing people at his level, maybe he never will be a hard hitting monster.

Don't get me wrong, i'm really loving p.k and i'm not trying to be negative. Anyone here watch belleville games? I wouldn't be surprised if he has toned down his physical game to be more defensively reliable at such a prestigious event. Is he very physical with belleville?
i would agree that subban isnt the most physical defenseman out there, but during the tournament and also during the pre-tournament games, i have seen pk lay out some pretty nice open ice hits, knocking people on their butts

cap10bfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Kman777

Tied for fourth overall in WJC scoring, ahead of guys like Boychuck and Van Riemsdyke.

Kman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:09 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
i would agree that subban isnt the most physical defenseman out there, but during the tournament and also during the pre-tournament games, i have seen pk lay out some pretty nice open ice hits, knocking people on their butts
Agreed. Actually two of those open ice hits were against other habs prospects. One was on Torp and another on Kristo. Maybe he's laying out big hits where he knows habs management will see

Old
01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Toro

Subban is a lot like a young Serge Savard.

Size, mobility, sooby doo/savardian spinorama offensive ability, passing/puck moving. Take the blueline and set up the play.

And can lay out a big hit. Subby's defensive ability has shown brightly this season. He became a better player big time after this summers camp just ask his junior coach.

Subby has the desire,attitude,drive,character,support(family) and of course the skill to be a top offensive defenceman on par with a Markov/ young Serge Savard.

Trevor Timmins hit a home run here. Of sourse its early to make these type of predictions but thats what were here on Hf for right?

Go Subby Doo Go!!

Old
01-01-2009, 02:17 PM
googlymoogly

He looks like a Paul Coffey the way he skates. Coffey was mostly an offensive Dman but occasionally could throw a monster hit. Hopefully Subban will be a bit better defensively than Coffey was.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
I'd LOVE for him to be physically dominating, but if he already weighs 208 and he isn't crushing people at his level, maybe he never will be a hard hitting monster.
Who says that he should be a crushing machine? Not his game but he needs to win battles along the boards and get out of those battles with the puck. No need to send people in the 3rd row, not his game. But nowhere is he soft and doesn't me he's not strong.....but he's not 6'4', 240lbs either....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Toro

I don't usually get this excited about a prospect but this kid is worth it. Can't wait to pull up this thread at the end of next season.

Old
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Who says that he should be a crushing machine? Not his game but he needs to win battles along the boards and get out of those battles with the puck. No need to send people in the 3rd row, not his game. But nowhere is he soft and doesn't me he's not strong.....but he's not 6'4', 240lbs either....
yeah. i was just saying how great it would be if he did become more physical, that's all. Nothing against him if he doesn't become another komisarek in the hitting department.

Old
01-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

He seems to be a lot more physical in the OHL, possibly the biggest hitter in that league, but in this Tournament he's not done it much.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:28 PM
dd

Subban will be good, but he is not NHL ready.
How many have seen him play regularly in the OHL?
He still has flaws to correct before being a top four defenseman and receive regular time. A year in the AHL will do him good.

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd View Post
Subban will be good, but he is not NHL ready.
How many have seen him play regularly in the OHL?
He still has flaws to correct before being a top four defenseman and receive regular time. A year in the AHL will do him good.
who said he was NHL ready? thx for pointing that out.......

He still has to finish this tourny, finish the OHL regular season, Finish the playoffs, maybe a memorial cup tourny, maybe an AHL playoff??? hehe

Then summer rookie camp, then montreals camp, then some more preseason and maybe he is nHL ready. If not still he gets some time in the AHL to get ready. But his stay there will be short.

Old
01-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
He's not afraid to drop the gloves either, so that's a plus.

He can also play decent on offense, so he might become a very versatile player like Streit was and Dandy is.

It was great to see Subban/Kristo/McDonagh all play in the same game yesterday.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 50
Quote:
He looks bigger and not afraid to use the body this year, he seem to be harder on the puck as well. Also he can stay up on his skates last year he was falling down quite often. If he keeps working hard he's gonna fill that frame and be ready to face grown mens in the NHL. I think he will learn a lot from a guy like Bouillon.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 04:42 PM
SOLR

Considering his age, I think Mcdonagh as been more impressive than Subban thus far, but PK is a real force for team Canada as well.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Railman
Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Considering his age, I think Mcdonagh as been more impressive than Subban thus far
Considering his age? McDonagh is exactly one month younger than Subban.

Subban has been more impressive than McDonagh in this tournament. McDonagh has been good, but Subban has been better. McDonagh is not the best defenseman on his team, Subban is.

Railman is offline   Reply With Quote