HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa Senators - Edmonton Oilers

Old
12-30-2008, 10:35 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

vCash: 500
Smith is done, sorry to say, but his Oiler days are behind him.

As far as Cole, he was having a terrible year (albeit an awesome PKer and hard worker, top 5 in the league at drawing penalties) and I wanted to get rid of him too.

But our team seems to have turned a corner and now looks to be playoff bound. With Cole finding great chemistry on a line with Nilsson and Gagner, it would be stupid to trade him now - as we would need him in the playoffs. Lets see what happens around deadline time, team would be willing to put up a lot for someone like Cole at the deadline (1st and blue chip prospect).

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 11:15 AM
SenatorsLegionary
Member of Sens Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
If your gonna start bringing up stats than i hate to break it to ya but

Goals for: EDM 18th , OTT 30th
goals per game: EDM 11th, OTT 25th
Plus Minus: EDM 13th, OTT 26th
Powerplay: EDM 14th, OTT 17th
Shootouts: EDM 16th OTT 25th

And there is more but nice try anywase...

About the proposal, I think Cole's really turning it around this past month or so. And he was finally rewarded with a 3 point night yesterday. I think edmonton better hang on for him for a bit.
Yeah, other than the +/-, those are all offensive stats. The point was that the oilers were 28th in penalty killing and 22nd in goals against which are both defensive aspects of the game which can be improved by adding a player like Kelly.

As a sens fan I'd be all over this but I don't think the oilers do it.

SenatorsLegionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Kamina
Amok

Maybe after the game a few days ago, it would be worth discussing this again.

I know that Cole has stepped it up lately, so maybe it can be Kelly and Smith for Cole and another player as a package.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:07 PM
SammyTheBull

Why would the Sens need another snakebitten underperformer with stonehands for?

Vermette
Fisher
Schubert
Kelly
+Cole

Kelly gets nice setup passes and always gets stoned by the goalie, vice versa for Vermette, when they're on the same line.

Vermette would slip and fall on his ass all game long.

Fisher would race down the wing with the puck on an odd man rush and shoot the puck from a bad angle.

Schubert would get a breakaway fumble with the puck when the goalie is beaten and get crosschecked into the crossbar.

Cole he'd just get a bunch of breakaways and have no finish at all making the backup look like an all-star.

Come to think of it Cole fits right in with Ottawa's current roster.

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:25 PM
pigeon9

I don't understand why Edmonton fans think this is a bad deal. Cole's a UFA after this season who's likely going to sign with another team with a smaller contract, maybe even with the Sens.

At least you'd get two players who can contribute instead of losing him for nothing. It's not like you would be able to sign a big free agent (if any judging by the past couple of years of players refusing big bucks to play for the Oilers) with Cole's cap space.

From Ottawa's perspective, they'd have to trade both the players for Cole to make the salaries match (Melnyk doesn't want to increase the Sens payroll), and they wouldn't do it because Cole's not worth that much and they can sign him as a UFA if they want in the summer without giving up anything.

I understand fan bias, but come on... we're talking about Cole, not Hemsky.

pigeon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Massena Sens Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Cole is turning it around, trading him now would be a big mistake. Had your chance.
Well what do you know, Cole turned it around right after the trade proposal I made involving him, which, incidently, all the sens fans criticized me for. Like the marble says, "you had your chance". The key to making good trades is finding undervalued commodities.

Massena Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrepeterson View Post
Well what do you know, Cole turned it around right after the trade proposal I made involving him, which, incidently, all the sens fans criticized me for. Like the marble says, "you had your chance". The key to making good trades is finding undervalued commodities.
Funny, seeing as you haven't made any good ones.

Old
01-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Funny, seeing as you haven't made any good ones.
grade 3 burn? its a internet site man 90%+ of the stuff on here prob arnt considered good trades if u ask a real gm so take the childishness down a notch ah?

ps. plz plz plz dont say i know you are but what am I

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
grade 3 burn? its a internet site man 90%+ of the stuff on here prob arnt considered good trades if u ask a real gm so take the childishness down a notch ah?

ps. plz plz plz dont say i know you are but what am I
Suspecting an alternate account.

Anyway, this user has a certain notoriety for making trades that don't have a chance in hell of happening, and rehashing the concepts over and over again in multiple threads. I'm kind of tired of it.

That's the last we'll have on this discussion, because this thread is about my proposal and not about that user.

Old
01-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Roof Daddy

I like how players and trade value are treated like stock on wall street here.

Cole was worth nothing 3 weeks ago, but now has value and should be kept on the strength of picking up points in consecutive games.... and this is from an Oiler fan

If you watched every game since the start of the year, outside of production, Cole has been one of the more consistent Oilers. But everyone hyped him up as a 30-goal, firs-liner and when the numbers weren't delivered, the media was there to point it out every time. IMO, he has been ridiculously snakebit, but to be that blatantly unlucky, you must be creating a lot of chances that just aren't going in. But when you break down his individual game...

Hits - Yes, one of the few on our team that does.
Size - 3rd biggest forward (of guys that are going to play more than 5 minutes a night)
Speed - I think he might be faster than Cogliano... definitely while carrying the puck
Draws more penalties than he takes - check

IMO, I think we see if he'll sign for a reasonable number before the trade deadline. If not, he'll still fetch more than Kelly or Gator. A 2nd rder at worst.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote