HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ottawa-Florida Shake Things Up

Old
01-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Ottawa-Florida Shake Things Up

Ottawa sends Spezza, Vermette and Gerber plus a first rounder contingent on signing Bouwmeester to Florida for Jaybo, Horton and Vokoun. Vokoun has a no-trade but is unhappy with DeBoer and likely could be persuaded to waive it. Works Cap-wise for both teams. Thoughts?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:41 AM
H2O

vCash: 50
I like it for Ottawa. Not sure I would for Florida though unless Ottawa's 1st round pick turns into a top 5 pick (which is likely but not guaranteed).

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Sureves

Value wise it looks good but then Ottawa has no #1 center.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 09:23 AM
4rde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Value wise it looks good but then Ottawa has no #1 center.
Exactly, Ottawa would have to look for centers. Otherwise it looks good i think.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Anasazi

It looks good if you make that first rounder SJ's no way Murray would be stupid enough to trade the Ottawa first rounder. Or maybe replace it with Kuba...

Anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Kaktus*

Horton is a lot better then Vermette. No comprising.
Gerber is UFA and Vokoun is a much better goalie and under contract.
Bouwmeester is UFA but still is top 10 d-men in the league.
Spezza is a great player but ptoposed deal is more then just a "shake up things up" type of deal.

Florida should trade Bouwmeester for picks and young players instead of trading their top 3 players.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:26 PM
harv3317

sorry, don't like it won't do it. fl. losses big imo.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:27 PM
tony d
Giant Doctor

Great deal for Ottawa but an awful deal for Florida, so no deal.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:56 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I like that even though Ottawa wins this hands down they still aren't willing to move their pick it must be SJ's and only if Jay Bo resigns. That pick will be in there no matter what and it would have to be Ottawa's. If not Florida without hesitation moves on from this. Although even with the pick I don't see them doing this. Ottawa get's nothing but guys playing well this year. Florida get's guys underachieving this year.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Peter Griffin

Interesting deal for sure.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I like that even though Ottawa wins this hands down they still aren't willing to move their pick it must be SJ's and only if Jay Bo resigns. That pick will be in there no matter what and it would have to be Ottawa's. If not Florida without hesitation moves on from this. Although even with the pick I don't see them doing this. Ottawa get's nothing but guys playing well this year. Florida get's guys underachieving this year.
Horton isn't playing well this year, and Vokoun has been off and on. However, I wouldn't make the trade.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Horton is a lot better then Vermette. No comprising.
Gerber is UFA and Vokoun is a much better goalie and under contract.
Bouwmeester is UFA but still is top 10 d-men in the league.
Spezza is a great player but ptoposed deal is more then just a "shake up things up" type of deal.

Florida should trade Bouwmeester for picks and young players instead of trading their top 3 players.
These aren't Florida's top 3 players any longer. Jaybo is the Cats best player but given his impending UFA status, hard to consider him that and I would rank him third, in trade value, on the blueline behind Ballard and McCabe. Booth, Weiss and Frolik are playing better than Horton as forwards this season for Florida. Vokoun is no longer the clear number one in the nets for Florida and is sharing the job almost equally with Anderson. So, IMO, what Florida would be dealing in Bouwmeester, Horton and Vokoun, is an impending UFA they can't sign and two players who aren't major contributers this season.

Old
01-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
These aren't Florida's top 3 players any longer. Jaybo is the Cats best player but given his impending UFA status, hard to consider him that and I would rank him third, in trade value, on the blueline behind Ballard and McCabe. Booth, Weiss and Frolik are playing better than Horton as forwards this season for Florida. Vokoun is no longer the clear number one in the nets for Florida and is sharing the job almost equally with Anderson. So, IMO, what Florida would be dealing in Bouwmeester, Horton and Vokoun, is an impending UFA they can't sign and two players who aren't major contributers this season.
Horton is Floridas best forward and just because Anderson (who by the way played only 97 NHL games total) had a good run this season does not make him #1 in the future.

Yes, Florida will deal Jay if they can not sign him for picks and prospects or young player(s). They have no need for Gerber. Zero.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-01-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:55 PM
pigeon9

Jacques Martin and Spezza don't like each other. Martin burried Spezza in the AHL for a few years and gave him limited ice time because he wanted Spezza to play defensively (not Spezza's strength). After Martin left Ottawa Spezza became a point/game player in Murray's offensive style. Needless to say, Martin wouldn't trade for Spezza.

I think Bouwmeester will test the market regardless of which team he gets traded to, so he may only get a "rental" player return.

pigeon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon9 View Post
Jacques Martin and Spezza don't like each other. Martin burried Spezza in the AHL for a few years and gave him limited ice time because he wanted Spezza to play defensively (not Spezza's strength). After Martin left Ottawa Spezza became a point/game player in Murray's offensive style. Needless to say, Martin wouldn't trade for Spezza.

I think Bouwmeester will test the market regardless of which team he gets traded to, so he may only get a "rental" player return.
I think JM already came out and said he didn't want to trade for anyone with a contract as high as Spezza, so the deal would hit another speed bump.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:11 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:

Yeah but Martin isn't the coach anymore and Pete DeBoer favors a much more open, aggressive system. Though there certainly could be some sour grapes on Martin's part and I agree that I don't think Martin would trade for Spezza.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Kamina
Amok

vCash: 50
Horton, Fisher, Kelly, McAmmond as our center depth?

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Horton is Floridas best forward and just because Anderson (who by the way played only 97 NHL games total) had a good run this season does not make him #1 in the future.

Yes, Florida will deal Jay if they can not sign him for picks and prospects or young player(s). They have no need for Gerber. Zero.
Someone needs to remind Nate of that because he's not playing that way by any means. GeorgiaPanther is big on not having a netminder who costs a ton, though, I think he forgets Gerber's contract (thoguh, it's not as high as Vokoun's). I don't want Gerber here, he's not insurance in case Andy faulters, which he has already. I do expect him to pick it up again.

Quote:

You don't know that he wouldn't and how do you know that Spezza's time in the AHL didn't refine his skills and allow him to grow as a player able to play with linemates like Alfredsson and Heatley?

Noone knows what he'll do and I doubt Martin moves him for someone else he'll have to worry about possibly walking away.

01-01-2009, 03:36 PM
pigeon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Someone needs to remind Nate of that because he's not playing that way by any means. GeorgiaPanther is big on not having a netminder who costs a ton, though, I think he forgets Gerber's contract (thoguh, it's not as high as Vokoun's). I don't want Gerber here, he's not insurance in case Andy faulters, which he has already. I do expect him to pick it up again.

You don't know that he wouldn't and how do you know that Spezza's time in the AHL didn't refine his skills and allow him to grow as a player able to play with linemates like Alfredsson and Heatley?

Noone knows what he'll do and I doubt Martin moves him for someone else he'll have to worry about possibly walking away.

You're right, I don't know that Martin wouldn't trade for Spezza for sure, I'm making an educated assumption based on their rocky relationship in Ottawa.

The AHL probrably did help Spezza, but like you said to me, "you don't know that". He played as an underaged player for Brampton in the OHL and averaged a point per game. He played as a 16 year old for team Canada, a feat that was previously only accomplished by Gretzky and Lindros, and has since been accomplished by Bouwmeester (ironically) and Crosby. I think it's safe to say based on his past that he can hang with the big boys and didn't need to play in the AHL to play with Alfredsson and Heatly. I'm not saying the A didn't help develop him, I'm just saying he was as "sure thing" a prospect as you could get.

Old
01-01-2009, 03:38 PM
pigeon9

Quote:

I didn't mean Bouwmeester will get a rental in return. I meant he'll get a rental player type of return. As in, he's not going to get a huge return as he himself will likely only be a rental player.

Old
01-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
GeorgiaPanther is big on not having a netminder who costs a ton, though, I think he forgets Gerber's contract (thoguh, it's not as high as Vokoun's).

C'mon Laus, you know Gerber's only in my trade because he's a UFA at the end of the season and someone has to share the load with Anderson the rest of this season. My goalie plan is to sign Anderson to a 3 year extension at $2-3 mil per, cut Gerber loose and sign a cheap back-up in free agency.

Old
01-01-2009, 11:10 PM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

Florida says hell to the no.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
ShootIt