HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

February 10 -- Injury reports and updates (post #176)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2009, 11:16 PM
  #76
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
How about the league instituting an eye for eye policy. If any hit is deemed illegal and worthy of any suspension, than the offending player is suspended and fined for as long as the player he injured is out. I like it.
So, what would Todd Bertuzzi be doing with his time, I wonder?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:03 AM
  #77
smokin018
Registered User
 
smokin018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
yeah but the problem is, it wasnt a clean "hit"

If Hartnell hit one of the Sedins exactly like that it would have been a bigger story then the hockey game. TSN and other canaidan markets would have been the Flyers are at it again with their questionable, dirty hits and they would have pushed the league office for a suspension.
As I said earlier, I am not asking for a suspension. I just want a fair shake with these type of hits.
Was Coburn's hit really any worse then this? Coburn got a 5 and a 10 in that game.
Actually, Hartnell's hit on Alberts last year (when Alberts was a Bruin) was almost identical to this hit on Gagne....

Hartnell got a 5 minute major and suspended for a few games...

I don't think either hit warranted a suspension, but it has to make you wonder why the punishment differs based on the team, the players and the situation.

smokin018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:20 AM
  #78
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin018 View Post
Actually, Hartnell's hit on Alberts last year (when Alberts was a Bruin) was almost identical to this hit on Gagne....

Hartnell got a 5 minute major and suspended for a few games...

I don't think either hit warranted a suspension, but it has to make you wonder why the punishment differs based on the team, the players and the situation.
It was not the same hit. Not even close.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
  #79
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
How about the league instituting an eye for eye policy. If any hit is deemed illegal and worthy of any suspension, than the offending player is suspended and fined for as long as the player he injured is out. I like it.
That would never work for the fact that if say, Ovechkin hit Asham from behind. Well the Flyers could just keep saying asham isn't ready for a return and Ovechkin would havce to sit out

Teams would use it to there advantage to often

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 01:56 PM
  #80
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
How about the league instituting an eye for eye policy. If any hit is deemed illegal and worthy of any suspension, than the offending player is suspended and fined for as long as the player he injured is out. I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
decent idea, will never happen
No, its a god awful idea. You are punishing the result, not the act -- that is the WORST idea ever. By your standards, a seemingly clean hit could result in a guy being "suspended" for months. This is hockey, there can be no intent but the end result could be just as bad.

Last year, Randy Jones did not INTEND to injure PB, yet he would have been out for much longer than his given suspension based on the situaiton. Is that fair?

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
  #81
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Under those rules, The flyers can sign me up, I'll run into ovechkin and move his elbow into my face. Then retire through "injury"

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 02:05 PM
  #82
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Under those rules, The flyers can sign me up, I'll run into ovechkin and move his elbow into my face. Then retire through "injury"
Why would you want to destroy the career of a player who is simply dynamic? Because he is on another team?

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
  #83
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
the NHL already kinda punishes by result. Guy bleeds on a high stick, it's a double minor. Upshall hits a guy late, he stays down for a few seconds match penalty. Gagne gets up and works his way to the bench, no harm to foul. I bet if gagne pulls a crosby and grabs his shoulder writhing in pain on the ice, the flyers get a powerplay.

The flyers are just too tough, they tend to get right back up after getting boarded, like alberts when walker boarded him.

The refs are also just that bad. Tim Peel was literally 10 feet from the net on the goal line when he waved off that goal in the winter classic. He was in the perfect spot to see it, everyone in the rink and on TV knew it was a goal. Not only could you easily see the twine move, there was no sound(hence no post). But peel waved it off, So two of his sense are completely useless. And that wasn't even a judgment call like boarding!

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 02:47 PM
  #84
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
the NHL already kinda punishes by result. Guy bleeds on a high stick, it's a double minor. Upshall hits a guy late, he stays down for a few seconds match penalty. Gagne gets up and works his way to the bench, no harm to foul. I bet if gagne pulls a crosby and grabs his shoulder writhing in pain on the ice, the flyers get a powerplay.

The flyers are just too tough, they tend to get right back up after getting boarded, like alberts when walker boarded him.

The refs are also just that bad. Tim Peel was literally 10 feet from the net on the goal line when he waved off that goal in the winter classic. He was in the perfect spot to see it, everyone in the rink and on TV knew it was a goal. Not only could you easily see the twine move, there was no sound(hence no post). But peel waved it off, So two of his sense are completely useless. And that wasn't even a judgment call like boarding!
I agree that some ref's aren't terrific, but I had NO idea that was a goal until they slowed it down. The way it hit the net and bounced out, it looked exactly like it hit the crossbar. Not to mention, anyone who has ever played hockey knows that not every post/crossbar hit makes the same post/crossbar sound, if it makes one at all.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:07 PM
  #85
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
I agree that some ref's aren't terrific, but I had NO idea that was a goal until they slowed it down. The way it hit the net and bounced out, it looked exactly like it hit the crossbar. Not to mention, anyone who has ever played hockey knows that not every post/crossbar hit makes the same post/crossbar sound, if it makes one at all.
As a goalie, I can tell you where and how square a puck hit the pipe by the sound it makes. That was a slap shot and if any of it hits iron, deflected or not, it's going to make a loud sound and rebound off the post way more than it did. Sound or no sound, he's in the perfect spot to see the puck go in and he still missed it. It was just atrocious.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:21 PM
  #86
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
As a goalie, I can tell you where and how square a puck hit the pipe by the sound it makes. That was a slap shot and if any of it hits iron, deflected or not, it's going to make a loud sound and rebound off the post way more than it did. Sound or no sound, he's in the perfect spot to see the puck go in and he still missed it. It was just atrocious.
I'd invite you to take some slap shots off posts and a crossbar. Notice that not every one will sound the same, and add in the sounds on the ice, the sounds of the crowd -- and with an outdoor game, the sound of the elements -- its not as easy as you think. I've taken shots off the post, slow and fast, and I've conjured up some interesting sounds.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:55 PM
  #87
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,625
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
wha?

Anyway spong said it best. Stop feeding the troll. He just likes feeling special by disagreeing with an entire fanbase. He's already started backpedaling, going from it was a clean hit to "well I just meant there shouldn't be a suspension". Let the troll starve.
probably should have clarified my comment about the Coburn hit. He got a 5 and a 10 for a hit earlier this season. Might have been one of the Atlanta games.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 06:02 PM
  #88
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
I'd invite you to take some slap shots off posts and a crossbar. Notice that not every one will sound the same, and add in the sounds on the ice, the sounds of the crowd -- and with an outdoor game, the sound of the elements -- its not as easy as you think. I've taken shots off the post, slow and fast, and I've conjured up some interesting sounds.

He was too close to miss that goal. The puck went in and out quick but it dented twine on the replay. He should've seen at least that much, it's his job. It's what he's supposed to be looking for. Agree with you on the variance of the sounds of posts hitting crossbars or posts though.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 06:22 PM
  #89
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
He was too close to miss that goal. The puck went in and out quick but it dented twine on the replay. He should've seen at least that much, it's his job. It's what he's supposed to be looking for. Agree with you on the variance of the sounds of posts hitting crossbars or posts though.
You would think, but thats as bang-bang as it gets. It was a heck of a shot that LOOKED exactly like it clanged off the crossbar and out. I think 95% of the people who saw it, myself included, thought the same thing. I am glad he made a split decision, and they reviewed it and found it he was wrong. Football referee's are wrong a TON now, but they review it and it gets fixed (for the most part). It's human error, and I'm not upset about him missing it in the least. Some people need to relax.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:08 AM
  #90
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..
 
HellasLEAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,028
vCash: 500
any updates on Giroux and Lupul?

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:27 AM
  #91
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,336
vCash: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
any updates on Giroux and Lupul?
No updates. The team has flown (or will fly) from California to the East coast with the next game at Washington Tuesday, so I doubt there will be any news today.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
  #92
lefty2time*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
LOL it wasnt that dirty of a hit...it was a bit late....it makes me laugh to read you guys complaining about it..mentioning "suspension" hahaha.
Cmon..the Flyers are one of the toughest, grittiest...and maybe dirtiest teams over the last few years, yet you guys complain about a hit that was a bit late.

the hit deserved 2 minutes maybe.....if Gange wasnt hurt, you guys probably wouldnt notice or complain. It was a bit late. Bxa is as tough as nails...he kick yo ***

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:41 AM
  #93
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Any news on
Briere
Gagne
Lupul
Giroux
and Asham?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:16 AM
  #94
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
LOL it wasnt that dirty of a hit...it was a bit late....it makes me laugh to read you guys complaining about it..mentioning "suspension" hahaha.
Cmon..the Flyers are one of the toughest, grittiest...and maybe dirtiest teams over the last few years, yet you guys complain about a hit that was a bit late.

the hit deserved 2 minutes maybe.....if Gange wasnt hurt, you guys probably wouldnt notice or complain. It was a bit late. Bxa is as tough as nails...he kick yo ***
Brilliance is abound, my friends.

Our suspension stigma is somewhat deserved, but all we ask for is consistency. If our players make mistakes, so be it. It was nice to FINALLY see someone rightfully suspended for late and dirty hits in Corey Perry. I hope this trend continues.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:25 AM
  #95
Blazini
Registered User
 
Blazini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Any news on
Briere
Gagne
Lupul
Giroux
and Asham?
For Tuesday's game, Gagne and Asham will be game-time decisions and Briere is doubtful.

Blazini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:06 AM
  #96
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazini View Post
For Tuesday's game, Gagne and Asham will be game-time decisions and Briere is doubtful.
and Lupul and Giroux?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:15 AM
  #97
runkle
Registered User
 
runkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,222
vCash: 500
Some injury updates here, it's not pretty. Add Niitty to the wounded list.

Quote:
The latest news concerns goalie Antero Niittymaki. According to Holmgren, Niittymaki suffered a groin injury in the shootout loss in Los Angeles on Saturday night. The injury was not disclosed right away and he did not leave the game, playing injured in the overtime and shootout.

But he is doubtful for tomorrow night in Washington and the team will not say anything more before today at the earliest. Scott Munroe will be called up from the Phantoms to take Niittymaki's place on the bench, but for how long no one knows.

"The fact that he stayed in the game, played the overtime and participated in the shootout should mean that it's not that serious," Holmgren said. "I just hope it's not his hip."

Rookie Claude Giroux likely will be out for Washington and maybe longer, depending on the severity of the concussion he suffered when Corey Perry elbowed him in the side of the head in Anaheim. The league suspended Perry for four games as a result of the blatant headshot.

Darroll Powe, with an unspecified lower body injury, played in Los Angeles, but did not feel good and will be re-evaluated. Scott Hartnell is playing with a broken, black and swollen big toe, and Timonen is playing with a chip fracture in his right ankle; both those injuries were sustained in Chicago.

Simon Gagne is still uncertain for Washington. He suffered a left shoulder injury in Vancouver and is day-to-day.


Another small report on Giroux... this one doesn't call it a concussion though...

Quote:
Stevens liked the way his team battled even though regulars like Joffrey Lupul (lower-body injury), Simon Gagne and Arron Asham were sidelined. The Flyers also lost rookie right wing Claude Giroux to an upper-body injury (he's complaining of a sore jaw) courtesy of a Corey Perry elbow in the Anaheim game...

"Giroux's not doing great, he's just OK,'' Stevens said. "So he's doubtful for Tuesday. Same with Lupul. He's pretty sore, so I would say he's doubtful as well.''


Last edited by runkle: 01-05-2009 at 06:32 AM.
runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:29 AM
  #98
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Its just getting worse and worse. That must have been the worst holiday road trip ever.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:33 AM
  #99
Flyersfan1216
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: FL ( From Philly)
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Call up Matsumoto and Nodl.

Flyersfan1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
  #100
Mike Richards 18
Registered User
 
Mike Richards 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 50
does this mean we officially look for goaltending help??? Backstrom looked great last night but majority flyers fans are against acquiring him.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.