HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Crosby Overrated?

View Poll Results: Do you think Sidney Crosby is overrated?
Yes 44 22.92%
No 97 50.52%
Sort of 51 26.56%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2008, 02:56 AM
  #76
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
No he isn't overrated. Not by the realist.

But he is indeed overrated by some homers. I remember a poll a year ago suggesting that he would get 150-200 points. That's just silly. And he isn't the clear cut best player in the world as some people where suggesting, like it was a universal truth.

Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby. There you got the three best players in the world. They will have their up and downs. Neither of them is "miles ahead" of the other.
Meh. Equal? Haven't you read the thread where Orr, Mario, Gretzky, hell every hockey player who ever played and who ever will play is a veritble amature compared to Ovechkin? Get with the HF program.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 04:14 AM
  #77
AgentNaslund*
 
AgentNaslund*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,576
vCash: 500
to be fair most Crosby fans have been humble about him. The fardest its been said, its that, Hes the best hockey player in the world. Dont think hes overrated.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 11:42 AM
  #78
Wedontneedroads
Registered User
 
Wedontneedroads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
And he isn't the clear cut best player in the world as some people where suggesting, like it was a universal truth.

Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby. There you got the three best players in the world. They will have their up and downs. Neither of them is "miles ahead" of the other.
my argument for crosby being better than the other two is his playoff performance and ability to make the players around him better. Ovechkin did have a solid playoff performance, but couldn't make his teammates good enough to win. Part of that has to do with a young team, but i personally believe ao can do more to help his teammates. oppositely, put any decent forward with a good release next to crosby and they will have close to 30 goals every year. only special players can accomplish that type of feat. Malkin still has some maturing to do in my opinion which was clear when he steped onto the big stage in the sc finals. that is my rational for crosby being better than ao and malkin. out of those three AO is my favorite player to watch though...

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 11:53 AM
  #79
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,677
vCash: 500
Pretty much every star is overrated to a certain degree.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 01:20 PM
  #80
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Sort of. Case in point:



Why Crosby is by default the top player in the game when there are talents like Ovechkin and Malkin playing, I'll never know. Seems like everyone always has to prove why someone's better than Sid, far more often than having to prove him better than the first two.
Because he won the major (not Calder) awards before any of them, and when Ovechkin won them a year later, he did so when Crosby was waylaid. Because Malkin has yet to win a major award.

And because Crosby's the only one to have led the playoffs in scoring.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:10 PM
  #81
czechmate25
Registered User
 
czechmate25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hershey, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
The problem with Crosby is that he is billed as the "next one"......the league and the media want people to believe that he is head and shoulders above everyone else, and that is clearly not the case.

In the 80's, Gretzky was the best player in the world....he won multiple scoring titles and MVP's over an extended period of time. That was dominance.

In the mid to late 80's through the mid 90's, Lemieux was the best player in the world.....he won multiple scoring titles and MVP's. That was dominance.

From the mid 90's up until 2001, Jagr was the best player in the world....although he only won one Hart, he had 4 straight scoring titles (5 overall). That was dominance.

Ever since Jagr was traded from Pittsburgh, it can be argued that each year, there was a different player deemed the best. If Malkin wins the scoring title this year (which I think he will), it will be 7 different winners of the Art Ross in 7 years. Never in the history of the award has there been such a pattern exist. Usually there are a few players who go back and forth winning the scoring title.

The bottom line of it is, that Crosby is a great player but he is not the best, nor is he heads and shoulders ahead of everyone else. He's a good player made out to be much more. As one poster said, you can be a good player but still be over rated. This is the case for Crosby. He is over rated b/c there are some who believe that he is so much better than his nearest competitor, which is not true. How can he be compared to the likes of Gretzky or Lemieux when those players dominated the game for consecutive years while being clearly better than their peers?

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 04:13 PM
  #82
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
The problem with Crosby is that he is billed as the "next one"......the league and the media want people to believe that he is head and shoulders above everyone else, and that is clearly not the case.

In the 80's, Gretzky was the best player in the world....he won multiple scoring titles and MVP's over an extended period of time. That was dominance.

In the mid to late 80's through the mid 90's, Lemieux was the best player in the world.....he won multiple scoring titles and MVP's. That was dominance.

From the mid 90's up until 2001, Jagr was the best player in the world....although he only won one Hart, he had 4 straight scoring titles (5 overall). That was dominance.

Ever since Jagr was traded from Pittsburgh, it can be argued that each year, there was a different player deemed the best. If Malkin wins the scoring title this year (which I think he will), it will be 7 different winners of the Art Ross in 7 years. Never in the history of the award has there been such a pattern exist. Usually there are a few players who go back and forth winning the scoring title.

The bottom line of it is, that Crosby is a great player but he is not the best, nor is he heads and shoulders ahead of everyone else. He's a good player made out to be much more. As one poster said, you can be a good player but still be over rated. This is the case for Crosby. He is over rated b/c there are some who believe that he is so much better than his nearest competitor, which is not true. How can he be compared to the likes of Gretzky or Lemieux when those players dominated the game for consecutive years while being clearly better than their peers?
He really hasn't done anything to refute that. By 21 he's done more than virtually any other player in hockey history at that age, outside of Mario and Wayne.

The irony of this topic is that on the main board there's a thread about Ovechkin being the best goal-scorer in hockey history. Yet here we are discussing whether Crosby's overrated.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 06:12 PM
  #83
canuckulous
 
canuckulous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
The NHL presents him as THE BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME. For that reason he is a tad bit overrated.

Its not Sid's fault, its just the marketing approach of the NHL.

canuckulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 06:02 PM
  #84
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,845
vCash: 500
........... as for why the NHL picked Crosby as a poster boy, aside from obvious skill, and aside from being from North America so obviously an easier sell here, was the thing he gets so much flack from here. He is not a loose canon. As a contrast:

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/alex-o...ing-fast-21594

Not that there is anything at all wrong with any of those things. They are human and real and just fine. But advertising and leagues would prefer other. To say otherwise is naieve at best.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
  #85
wildone26*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Because he won the major (not Calder) awards before any of them, and when Ovechkin won them a year later, he did so when Crosby was waylaid. Because Malkin has yet to win a major award.

And because Crosby's the only one to have led the playoffs in scoring.
So what. It is not like one can prove Crosby would have won any of those awards had he stayed healthy. Their PPG was basically the same (Ovechkin's miniscule bit higher in fact) and Ovechkin was the one who carried his team to the playoffs when they were not as strong this year. Crosby would have to be winning those awards year after year before others would deserve an asterix by his absence for part of the year anyway.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 01:22 PM
  #86
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashfan24 View Post
So what. It is not like one can prove Crosby would have won any of those awards had he stayed healthy. Their PPG was basically the same (Ovechkin's miniscule bit higher in fact) and Ovechkin was the one who carried his team to the playoffs when they were not as strong this year. Crosby would have to be winning those awards year after year before others would deserve an asterix by his absence for part of the year anyway.
There's no guarantee, I'm simply saying that Crosby won his awards when all the elite competition was healthy, and Ovechkin didn't.

As for the PPG, Crosby's dropped after he came back and was regaining his conditioning and timing after being out for months.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 02:35 PM
  #87
CrosbyCrosby*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,216
vCash: 500
I put sort of. He's really good but the NHL should try marketing more than 1 player.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.