HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tang/Price out Pac/Chip/Weber/Denis Up

View Poll Results: Who will be called up from the Dogs before Friday?
Belle 7 7.78%
Weber 49 54.44%
Carle 5 5.56%
Henry 11 12.22%
Chipchura 78 86.67%
Pacioretty 61 67.78%
Lehoux 10 11.11%
Stewart 6 6.67%
Other 24 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-02-2009, 08:36 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
O'byrne only needs time. To give up on a player of that size that we know can play well and can skate well is ridiculous. If he starts hammering guys he will be a keeper.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I bet you Weber plays solid hockey, maybe makes a few mistakes but plays well offensively and we never think twice about OB again.

Good riddance to O'Byrne, a career AHLer
Reminds me of another defenceman we had, around the same age. He made god-awful decisions and it often seemed like his head was in the clouds. I had him pegged as a career AHLer, until he was picked up off waivers when we tried to recall him from Hamilton.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:57 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Lets jump to conclusions! Start the year strong!
I wouldn't take the opinion of somebody whose name is "coldplay" very seriously to begin with.

No offense but their music is dreadful and anyone whose opinion is SO high of them that they chose them as a username, imo their opinion of other things is likely as dreadful

Seriously though, the band rips off other bands music and imo has always sucked. I never understood the huge success they've gotten. Not saying they aren't the type of band I feel some people would enjoy, but the amount of mainstream success they've gotten just seems crazy to me for such a simple band that has really got nothing new to offer.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:58 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
Habs don't play Saturday. I think you meant Sunday.

how ironic speaking of looking things up ?

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Seriously though, the band rips off other bands music and imo has always sucked. I never understood the huge success they've gotten. Not saying they aren't the type of band I feel some people would enjoy, but the amount of mainstream success they've gotten just seems crazy to me for such a simple band that has really got nothing new to offer.
Led Zeppelin and the Beatles ripped off earlier artists and admitted to it.

Eventually, everything you do in music will sound very similar to what someone else did, or eventually, sound a lot like your own stuff. There is upright plagiarism and there is "unfortunate sonic co-incidence". Remember "What I got" by Sublime? Exactly like "Lady Madonna" by the Beatles, but its not they were stupid enough to rip off the Beatles, it was something they came up with which ended up being very similar to a classic Beatles tune.

I'm one of the most stuck up music people there is, but if there are two terms i hate, its "rip off" and "sell out". It's like people thinking a guy falling funny must be a dive. There's more to music than just what you hear, and there's more to music than just what you see.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:42 AM
kevinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shealy04 View Post
Most likely a therapy day, I wouldn't start stressing over pure speculation.
He was hurt blocking a shot last game. Just a precaution. You guys need to take a deep breath.

kevinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:47 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
If OB plays 50+ games as a hab next season and IS successful at it (meaning not a minus player, or even leniance of -5 or better) then I will change my Title to something of your choosing so long as it isn't ban-able.

What are you going to do for me though if he isn't a success?

You control my Avatar for a month.
I do not want to change my name.

We can make yours a monthly thing as well.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I'm one of the most stuck up music people there is, but if there are two terms i hate, its "rip off" and "sell out". It's like people thinking a guy falling funny must be a dive. There's more to music than just what you hear, and there's more to music than just what you see.
+1 - had the same discussion with my bandmates regarding songwriting. There's 10,000,000 heavy bands out there, someone somewhere has played that riff or progression you've been humming, get over it. And as for "sell out" -- it must have been some snotty rich kid with too much money and not enough blow who invented that phrase. Family's gotta eat!!!!

Even when I hate the music I just don't feel like slaging other bands anymore, it just seems petty and in a musician's case always comes off as jealousy.

But to be on topic:

I think the real plan here is to get O'Byrne back to feeling the game rather than fighting it. Montreal is a terrible, terrible place to be for a young player struggling. I'll be surprised if Weber isn't dressed as #7 D as I doubt very much his ability to handle NHL forwards.

Having seen more than usual AHL games this year I really notice the difference between the levels of competition... even if Weber has progressed sine day 1, he's going to have to be protected somewhat during the game so that his inexperience doesn't cost us a goals. I'm sure some will want to argue, but a D-man absolutely dominating in the AHL (which Weber is not yet) still has a ways to go before being reliable for regular shifts in the big league.

Usual execeptions for star players notwithstanding. Even if he pots one tonight I'd still use him with care. I'd rather he played lots of AHL minutes and grew stronger against weaker opponents then to rush him just because of injuries.

IMO O'Byrne will likely be back in 20-25 games anyhow.

Last edited by Lord Horse: 01-02-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Too many freakin' semicolons
Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Led Zeppelin and the Beatles ripped off earlier artists and admitted to it.

Eventually, everything you do in music will sound very similar to what someone else did, or eventually, sound a lot like your own stuff. There is upright plagiarism and there is "unfortunate sonic co-incidence". Remember "What I got" by Sublime? Exactly like "Lady Madonna" by the Beatles, but its not they were stupid enough to rip off the Beatles, it was something they came up with which ended up being very similar to a classic Beatles tune.

I agree with this post entirely. I'm merely trying to give mr. coldplay a hard time for the sake of doing so

But yeah, all music is a rip off of other music 99.99999% of the time. You're always bound to use a similar set of chords and even tempo cause so many songs have been written already. But I'm simply not a fan of coldplay in general, to me, they're a band that is more commonly known for being a copycat band then others. Not saying successful bands haven't done this, clearly 99% of mainstream music now a days isn't that original, even most underground music isn't, but to me at least SOME of said bands are more unique then others while coldplay is quite possibly one of the most stale sounding bands I've heard, it's just been overdone at this point imo (their style). To me they bring nothing new to the table in any of their songs (referring mostly to their singles as I am not a fan of the band) where as many other bands at least do from time to time.

But still, mainly I was merely trying to bug coldplay the poster

Just because a band is unoriginal doesn't mean every single one of their songs has to be is what I'm getting at I guess.

Old
01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
You control my Avatar for a month.
I do not want to change my name.

We can make yours a monthly thing as well.
Mine would be title not name, just because you need to wait X amount of time before you can do a name change

But yeah, yours is avatar, mine is title? Or should be both just go with avatar?

Old
01-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Teufelsdreck

infraKostitsyn was hit in the foot with a shot in Lightning game. We don't know whether that will affect his being able to play tonight.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:47 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Mine would be title not name, just because you need to wait X amount of time before you can do a name change

But yeah, yours is avatar, mine is title? Or should be both just go with avatar?
Either or winner decides.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Slevesque

Hamilton Call-ups: Pacioretty, Webber, Chipchura and Denis

Don't knwo this has been posted, didn't fin it if it has ...

What do you think about the call-up?? I would have loved to see weber play tonight, guess it'll be for another day lol

Anyone surprised about weber being called-up before carle ???

Slevesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 02:41 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevesque View Post
Not at all

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Not at all
What do you think Carle's upside is?

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 02:52 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevesque View Post
Don't knwo this has been posted, didn't fin it if it has ...

What do you think about the call-up?? I would have loved to see weber play tonight, guess it'll be for another day lol

Not really, Carle has 13 points and is-2, Weber 18 points +6. defensively they are both the same.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 02:53 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
What do you think Carle's upside is?
I'd say more of a bottom pairing D that will excell on the PP. He's such a good passer but needs to get stronger and a little quicker imo. The reason why I wasn't surprised that Weber got the call over Carle is that imo Weber is the better prospect. I really like what I've seen from him overall this year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'd say more of a bottom pairing D that will excell on the PP. He's such a good passer but needs to get stronger and a little quicker imo. The reason why I wasn't surprised that Weber got the call over Carle is that imo Weber is the better prospect. I really like what I've seen from him overall this year.
I sort of assumed Weber and Carle would have similar deficiencies in their game (strength and defensive play) I just didn't realize that Weber was ahead of Carle at this point.

The stats say Weber is ahead but I figured I would double check.

Weber, Carle and Subban are going to be fighting for the same spot in the line-up eventually it would seem (assuming all progress and make the NHL).

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 03:53 PM
RyanWhite53

Send a message via MSN to RyanWhite53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
You make some good points....but who would you rather have playing next to Pleks next year... a 38 year old Kovalev or a 27 year old Gaborik. Gaining 11 years of youth and a better goal scorer while paying similiar wages(don't think Gabby is gonna get close to the $8M the Wild offered). Can you picture the speed of Pleks & Gabby together(both Czecks by the way)
He is gonna be 36! not 38.

You don't have to lie to get your point across.

RyanWhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote