HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

long island hockey players

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2008, 10:29 AM
  #26
Eagle20
Registered User
 
Eagle20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Just checked out the Sportime site. Is is just leagues though or is there Open hockey there as well (was looking at the Syosset one)?
I know he sport time in bethpage has open hockey on fridays from 11 pm - 1am and open on sunday from 10am - 12 pm. Not sure about hte syosset one.

Eagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
  #27
pattyb91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
I live on LI and play hockey(goalie). Hockey is decently popular here. I live in Merrick and start in net for my schools Varsity team and I would say we get 200-300 people to our games in some games we even get cheerleaders and a band

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
  #28
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles39 View Post
I live on LI and play hockey(goalie). Hockey is decently popular here. I live in Merrick and start in net for my schools Varsity team and I would say we get 200-300 people to our games in some games we even get cheerleaders and a band
merrick still share a team with bellmore?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 05:01 PM
  #29
LongIslandDevilsFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LongIslandDevilsFan
Just throwing this out there to any hockey fans on LI. Universities of the Hofstra Pride and Stonybrook Seawolves Roller Hockey teams will be playing each other tomorrow night, Friday Jan. 2nd, at the SportsArena in St. James, Long Island, Suffolk County.

Both teams B and A division teams will be playing. 7PM the festivities start with the B Division game, followed at 8PM by the A Division game.

LongIslandDevilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 07:16 PM
  #30
DGirardi5
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandDevilsFan View Post
Just throwing this out there to any hockey fans on LI. Universities of the Hofstra Pride and Stonybrook Seawolves Roller Hockey teams will be playing each other tomorrow night, Friday Jan. 2nd, at the SportsArena in St. James, Long Island, Suffolk County.

Both teams B and A division teams will be playing. 7PM the festivities start with the B Division game, followed at 8PM by the A Division game.
Awesome, I play there.

DGirardi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:36 PM
  #31
xstartxtodayx
 
xstartxtodayx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles39 View Post
I live on LI and play hockey(goalie). Hockey is decently popular here. I live in Merrick and start in net for my schools Varsity team and I would say we get 200-300 people to our games in some games we even get cheerleaders and a band
Seriously? 2-300 fans? That's nuts... when I played high school we'd be lucky if we got 20-40 spectators besides family I played for Wantagh/Seaford back in the 90's and we had a pretty decent rivalry w/ Bellmore/merrick... you guys still playing at newbridge? I miss that rink... best ice on the island by far

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandDevilsFan View Post
Just throwing this out there to any hockey fans on LI. Universities of the Hofstra Pride and Stonybrook Seawolves Roller Hockey teams will be playing each other tomorrow night, Friday Jan. 2nd, at the SportsArena in St. James, Long Island, Suffolk County.

Both teams B and A division teams will be playing. 7PM the festivities start with the B Division game, followed at 8PM by the A Division game.
College roller hockey teams? Wow times have changed in the few years since I was in college I remember Stony brook had a really good ice hockey team, they left our division my sophomore year to play in the higher division to get into NCAA division 3 or 2 (or something like that, I know they wanted to get to D1 eventually), so I'm guessing their roller team should be pretty good as well.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:29 PM
  #32
pattyb91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
merrick still share a team with bellmore?
yupp

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:35 PM
  #33
pattyb91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
"Seriously? 2-300 fans? That's nuts... when I played high school we'd be lucky if we got 20-40 spectators besides family I played for Wantagh/Seaford back in the 90's and we had a pretty decent rivalry w/ Bellmore/merrick... you guys still playing at newbridge? I miss that rink... best ice on the island by far "

yeah, its school sponserd now so we have alot of people know about the games. Im a freshmen so its my 1st varsity year but talking to Seniors they have said that last season we had around 30 fans a game but this year at home we get a great turnout.And yeah we play at newbridge, the ice is not that great. All the time the crease is very chewd up.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:20 AM
  #34
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles39 View Post
"Seriously? 2-300 fans? That's nuts... when I played high school we'd be lucky if we got 20-40 spectators besides family I played for Wantagh/Seaford back in the 90's and we had a pretty decent rivalry w/ Bellmore/merrick... you guys still playing at newbridge? I miss that rink... best ice on the island by far "

yeah, its school sponserd now so we have alot of people know about the games. Im a freshmen so its my 1st varsity year but talking to Seniors they have said that last season we had around 30 fans a game but this year at home we get a great turnout.And yeah we play at newbridge, the ice is not that great. All the time the crease is very chewd up.
i used to love the SMELL of that rink.they always had excellent ice(nice and cold in there). what's different?
do they still have those handles/grips on the top of the boards. i hated those. they would kill my hips when i got hit against the boards.


blue slushies in front of the fire at newbridge.what memories!
when i was a teen( mid 80's)we used to be try to spray snow OVER the end glass with a full stride stop. good times friday night skate chasing the girls .wearing the hockey jersey trying to impress girls. man do i feel old now.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:38 AM
  #35
pattyb91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
i used to love the SMELL of that rink.they always had excellent ice(nice and cold in there). what's different?
do they still have those handles/grips on the top of the boards. i hated those. they would kill my hips when i got hit against the boards.


blue slushies in front of the fire at newbridge.what memories!
when i was a teen( mid 80's)we used to be try to spray snow OVER the end glass with a full stride stop. good times friday night skate chasing the girls .wearing the hockey jersey trying to impress girls. man do i feel old now.
lol sounds like a great time.

You know the ice is not terrible but it just seems IMO the crease's always have alot of ruts. Also as a goalie the lighting in there always seems to annoy me a lil as one side is alot lighter than the other. Also I do admit i love the smell in there.

They re-did all the boards and stuff about 3-6 years ago.

They actually had handles on the boards?

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
  #36
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles39 View Post
lol sounds like a great time.

You know the ice is not terrible but it just seems IMO the crease's always have alot of ruts. Also as a goalie the lighting in there always seems to annoy me a lil as one side is alot lighter than the other. Also I do admit i love the smell in there.

They re-did all the boards and stuff about 3-6 years ago.

They actually had handles on the boards?
it was a black "runner" that went around the rink on top of the boards. it stuck out about two inches. very annoying.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
  #37
pattyb91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
it was a black "runner" that went around the rink on top of the boards. it stuck out about two inches. very annoying.
o yeahhh I remember that. When it was there though it wasent really a problem for me cause I couldnt even reach it

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:01 AM
  #38
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles39 View Post
o yeahhh I remember that. When it was there though it wasent really a problem for me cause I couldnt even reach it
HAHA LOL. keep skating .happy new year

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:04 AM
  #39
pattyb91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
HAHA LOL. keep skating .happy new year
lol thanks, same to you

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:18 PM
  #40
xstartxtodayx
 
xstartxtodayx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
it was a black "runner" that went around the rink on top of the boards. it stuck out about two inches. very annoying.
It used to actually drop down a few inches behind so the puck would get caught and stuck... they "fixed" it by maiking it more level when I was in high school but it would still sit up there every now and then. Oh and yea getting hit on those boards wasn't fun, your body would bend over the railing a bit and if your hips were lined up with it you'd get pretty banged up.

I used to love how hard and fast the ice was, the benches sucked just like the boards and the penalty box was pretty bad since the teams shared it, but yea that ice was great, it puts Syosset's soft ice to shame.

xstartxtodayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.