Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need another Top Line Player

Old
01-02-2009, 06:04 PM
calgaryflames25

vCash: 500
Do we need another Top Line Player

Do you think that Sutter should go out and get a number 1 or 2 center? I know we are playing really good right now but I dont think that Conroy deserves to be on the top line and Lombarbi is to inconsistant. If we get a better center he can center Iggy Cammy or put him on line 2 so Langkow can center the top line.What do people think and who would Sutter want if he made a trade like that??

calgaryflames25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 06:21 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryflames25 View Post
Do you think that Sutter should go out and get a number 1 or 2 center? I know we are playing really good right now but I dont think that Conroy deserves to be on the top line and Lombarbi is to inconsistant. If we get a better center he can center Iggy Cammy or put him on line 2 so Langkow can center the top line.What do people think and who would Sutter want if he made a trade like that??
Well I am loving eating crow about how well Conroy is now playing. If the first line needs so much then how can Iggy and Cammy get 5 points each.

If anyone would be traded which I disagree with the premise, it should be Lombardi. I say this as Langkow is turning into a great 2 way player and there are limited numbers of those.

Lombardi is fast sure but is all over the map and generally always shoots right at the goalies chest.

If we can leverage Lombo to get some other centre that would be worth pursuing. Will see but first off I think another mobile D man might be something worth pursuing IMO.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
No, i think we should be looking at a defensemen like Bouwmeester.

Lombardi + 3rd + Pelech

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Danny__K

Right now the Flames need to address their defense, the offense is just fine.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:17 PM
cross16

If they want to be realy contenders, yes I think they do need a consistant 60 or 70 plus one at least. Ideally a true number one center would be best but those are hard to come by. Unfortunately it tends to take a boatload to land one and I don't think the Flames can afford the long term sacrifice for a very short term gain. They also need to look long term if dealing for a center, not short term.

Because a center like that is going to be extrememly tough to come by, I would settle for a depth puck moving dman to improve the team. I think getting just another top 6 forward would have no impact. A depth puck mover, like a Morris or leopold, I think would have more impact.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:32 PM
JorgeRocks!

We need another d man before a top line player. The cost for such a player would be high, but right now our plentiful secondary scoring is getting it done i think. I think the cost would be to high, but it would be a nice luxury

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:36 PM
bananaz

the flames are scoring at a pace of 3.11 goals per game, good for 7th in the league. scoring is not an issue.

imo, a defense man like j-bo, leopold or kronwall will have an immediate impact on the flames. the risk with j-bo is that we would be giving up a lot for a rental. leopold would be relatively easy to acquire and retain and the same goes for kronwall.
before every playoffs, sutter always stocks up on dman (usually around 8). i can see the flames acquiring one more before the trade deadline.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Northern Neighbour

The Flames could use two things:

1. As everyone else has mentioned, another top-3 defenceman. Bouwmeester would be the ideal acquisition, but I think someone like Buffalo or Boston will land him.

2. A 3rd-line centre with size. Langkow, Lombardi, and Conroy are decent, but the club could really use a big, physical centre. Chris Gratton would be a cheap acquisition. If the Flames wanted to be greedy, then Keith Tkachuk would be a very good fit as he can play wing or centre.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:19 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
The Flames could use two things:

1. As everyone else has mentioned, another top-3 defenceman. Bouwmeester would be the ideal acquisition, but I think someone like Buffalo or Boston will land him.

2. A 3rd-line centre with size. Langkow, Lombardi, and Conroy are decent, but the club could really use a big, physical centre. Chris Gratton would be a cheap acquisition. If the Flames wanted to be greedy, then Keith Tkachuk would be a very good fit as he can play wing or centre.
i would say probably top two line center with size, which is what olli jokinen would have been, but we would have had to part with backlund, and keeping him was the right choice IMO. Tkachuk is on pace for a 28 goal 56 point season, so he could be that top 6 player i think, but if the cost is anything even close to what atlanta paid, then no way

I also think keenan has to give mcelhinney or someone else in the organization to spell kipper a bit, who could use some rest. and if they are uncomfortable doing that, then go out and acquire a goalie then. You just can't expect a goalie to be able to play 70ish games in the regular season, then top it off by playing 20ish games during a long postseason run.

Old
01-02-2009, 08:40 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_j View Post
the flames are scoring at a pace of 3.11 goals per game, good for 7th in the league. scoring is not an issue.

imo, a defense man like j-bo, leopold or kronwall will have an immediate impact on the flames. the risk with j-bo is that we would be giving up a lot for a rental. leopold would be relatively easy to acquire and retain and the same goes for kronwall.
before every playoffs, sutter always stocks up on dman (usually around 8). i can see the flames acquiring one more before the trade deadline.
Totally.... Kronwall would be fantastic and cheaper than giving half the team away to risk on J Bouw. Sure JB might resign if we could get him but if a guy like that can not be gotten Kronwall would be fantastic. He was a killer in the playoffs. He also has a reasonable cap hit I think.

Old
01-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Totally.... Kronwall would be fantastic and cheaper than giving half the team away to risk on J Bouw. Sure JB might resign if we could get him but if a guy like that can not be gotten Kronwall would be fantastic. He was a killer in the playoffs. He also has a reasonable cap hit I think.
not to mention the rumors that detroit will have to get rid of a dman to fit everything under the cap and kronwall is looking more available than he was last week

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:36 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
not to mention the rumors that detroit will have to get rid of a dman to fit everything under the cap and kronwall is looking more available than he was last week
I like the sound of that.... I just really was blown away by how he played in the playoffs last year, especially in the finals (read: stamina). Imagine a duo of Regehr and Kronwall! Another thread says Sutter might be chatting to Burke so there are a second set of possible rumours there but I prefer Kronwall to those.

Old
01-02-2009, 10:41 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperkookeez View Post
do you have a link to the rumours?

Old
01-03-2009, 12:07 AM
bananaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
do you have a link to the rumours?
i think it's common knowledge that detroit will have cap trouble next season. it's the only reason why i brought up kronwall. hossa, zetterberg, franzen and samuelsson are ufa. detroit will only sign two of them. hudler is a rfa so he's also going to need a new deal. getting kronwall from detroit shouldnt be to difficult, draft picks and prospects should get it done.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:05 AM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
i think it's common knowledge that detroit will have cap trouble next season. it's the only reason why i brought up kronwall. hossa, zetterberg, franzen and samuelsson are ufa. detroit will only sign two of them. hudler is a rfa so he's also going to need a new deal. getting kronwall from detroit shouldnt be to difficult, draft picks and prospects should get it done.
Would Mitch Wahl and our 3rd rounder this year do the trick you think?

Old
01-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

hah. Kronwall will not be easy to acquire at all. He's played very shielded minutes in Detroit throughout his career, but I'm sure Holland is well aware what he has in him and he's still a potential top pairing blueliner.

Considering the age of Lidstrom, Chelios, etc., Kronwall will be taking on a much larger role with the Wings in the near future. ANd he's not the asset they'll move to free up cap space.

Plus, when are you going to see a Wings team weaken themselves BEFORE the playoffs?..

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
The Wings won't have cap trouble next season. Hossa is on a one-year contract and earning over $7M this year. He'll be allowed to test the market, thus giving the Wings enough money to re-sign Zetterberg.

Franzen is likely gone, but the Wings have terrific, young depth with Hudler and Flippula.

As Fleury mentioned, there's not a chance that Detroit deals Kronwall without getting a top-3 defenceman in return. He's a vital part to their blueline, as he plays in all situations. He's also the heir apparent to Lidstrom.

Old
01-03-2009, 11:08 AM
guzzy

we need to get over Jbo.

We can't afford him. Unless Regehr or Phaneuf go across in the trade and I don't think any of us want to see that.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I think trading for J-bo would be a bad move. Sounds like a Stuart trade all over again. The price to land him is very high, and with rumors that the cap is going down next year the Flames may already be faced with shedding salary. This would make J-bo a rental (unless as previously stated, we trade away Regher or Dion). So why would we trade an arm and a leg for a rental? Besides we don't "need" him, our D is probably the most solid it has been in a long time. The are other options out there that would serve the purpose for much less.

As far as for a centre, I think the Flames should wait and follow the Forsberg scenario.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Lunatik*

Ideally I would like to add another center either to play with Iginla & Cammalleri or to permanently center a checking line.I am most interested in a healthy Andy McDonald who I believe could play on the top line. However the most important thing to me is faceoff ability; guys like Radek Bonk and Manny Malhotra makes alot of sense to me as they add size and faceoff ability down the middle, they are both also impending UFAs. However if someone like McDonald could be added I would also like to add a 3rd line forward for depth reasons as I believe McDonald would cost us a roster player.

I would also like to see the Flames acquire some defensive depth. I would prefer a guy that could play with either Phaneuf of Regehr. Since I am not a big advocate of bringing back former players it surprises me to say this but my top 2 choices if they are available at this point are Jordan Leopold & Derek Morris. Other guys I would be interested in for the right price include... Jraoslav Spacek, Filip Kuba and Karlis Skrastins; I may also be willing to take a chance on Christian Backman or Nick Boynton as well

I would say adding the defensive depth is more imperative for the playoffs than adding forwards since we already have 3 lines that can score and at least a couple guys on the farm that have shown they can make an impact with the big club.

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Body Checker

The biggest thing come trade deadline is there will be more buyers than sellers. Right now almost every team in the West is in the running for the playoffs. In the East though, the top 7 spots are already decided probably with just a few teams left to battle for 8th.

So the Flames will have to look to teams like TB, NYI, Toronto and Atlanta to add depth or a top player.

I am torn whether we should go for it this year (trade for Jay Bouwmeester) or just add depth to maybe be an upset team like we were in 2004.

It's fairly obvious our top trade assets are Mikael Backlund and our 2009 1st rounder. But if Sutter doesn't want to give them up then the Flames will only add depth.

If that is the case then I think maybe Niclas Havelid and Colby Armstrong from Atlanta would be two good additions.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 05:06 PM
The Gaud Father

Colby Armstrong would be awsome. He's a hard worker and a hard hitter. Him on the 3rd line with Glencross...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Gaud Father is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I third that notion, I'd be all over getting Armstrong. He'd fit in awesome, however I wonder what his asking price might be?

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Northern Neighbour

Would you play Armstrong over Moss on the 3rd line? The Flames are pretty much set at RW with Iginla, Bertuzzi, and Moss.

I like Lunatik's ideas of MacDonald. MacDonald would be a very good fit on the top line. As for Bonk and Malholtra, Bonk is a good defensive centre, but having seen him in Ottawa he's quite soft and isn't a great playoff performer. Malholtra is a good player, but he wouldn't be an upgrade over Lombardi. I also don't think Columbus will deal him as the Blue Jackets are in the thick of the playoff race.

Jason Arnott would be a terrific fit in Calgary, but he'll cost way too much to pry from Nashville. I wouldn't mind Doug Weight in Calgary to add some more depth and he shouldn't cost too much in a trade.

Dean McAmmond would be a good depth guy to have down the stretch. He won't cost a lot but he would very good insurance in case of an injury.

On defence, Kuba and Boynton are intriguing options. Kuba would help with the PP and has had a very good season in Ottawa. Boynton is a decent two-way defenceman who plays a physical style. He's a Keenan-type of player.

Former plays Leopold and Morris would be good fits as well, although I think Keenan and Sutter would want to get a defenceman with size, leaving Leopold out. Morris' lack of durability is a question mark as well.

Two other options would be Dan Hamhuis and Greg Zanon. Hamhuis, though, would cost quite a bit while Zanon could be quite affordable, possibly a mid-round pick and a prospect (e.g., Pelech).

Old
01-03-2009, 11:58 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post

Plus, when are you going to see a Wings team weaken themselves BEFORE the playoffs?..
Good point. To that, I would add when was the last time you saw the Red Wings deliberately strengthen one of their major competitors BEFORE the playoffs?
Not gonna happen.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote