HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Juniors

Old
01-01-2009, 11:19 AM
NWAvsFan

vCash: 500
World Juniors

There is a lot of discussion about WJC and I didn't see a particular thread for it so I will ask a question in this new one. I watched the game last night and after the USA vs. Kaz game I was nervous whether the US could stay with a more talented Canadian team. They came out on fire though and really, really took it to Canada. After the US 5 on 3 though I thought the refs allowed Canada far too much leeway. Specifically their should have been a roughing call at the end of the 5 on 3 and the only reason the refs didn't call it is because all the calls were rightfully going against Canada. Then the punch to Van Reimsdyk should have been at least a penalty if not a match. I could not believe there was no call there. After that the cross check of Blum (I think) into the boards should have been at least a double minor and even the TSN guys seemed to think that was a 5. I think all these non-calls did 2 things: 1 they shifted the momentum to Canada who could play any way they wanted and not suffer. 2: It contributed to an already tired US team being absolutely out of gas in the 3rd. Would the game have been different if the non calls were made? I think it would have but that is not to say that the USA didn't have problems that led to their loss. First they need to clear their end better. There was a glaringly obvious example of this that led to a goal but it was a problem all night. Second they need to control the front of the net better as some of the goals would not have happened without a Canadian uncontested down low. Third they need to have stellar goaltending. McCollum was OK but Tokarski took control of the game for Canada and the US did not match.

Am I a homer?

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 11:42 AM
quesosauce

i didnt get to see the game, but i like that we were able to stay with the canada team, and even force them to play from behind.

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
There is a lot of discussion about WJC and I didn't see a particular thread for it so I will ask a question in this new one. I watched the game last night and after the USA vs. Kaz game I was nervous whether the US could stay with a more talented Canadian team. They came out on fire though and really, really took it to Canada. After the US 5 on 3 though I thought the refs allowed Canada far too much leeway. Specifically their should have been a roughing call at the end of the 5 on 3 and the only reason the refs didn't call it is because all the calls were rightfully going against Canada. Then the punch to Van Reimsdyk should have been at least a penalty if not a match. I could not believe there was no call there. After that the cross check of Blum (I think) into the boards should have been at least a double minor and even the TSN guys seemed to think that was a 5. I think all these non-calls did 2 things: 1 they shifted the momentum to Canada who could play any way they wanted and not suffer. 2: It contributed to an already tired US team being absolutely out of gas in the 3rd. Would the game have been different if the non calls were made? I think it would have but that is not to say that the USA didn't have problems that led to their loss. First they need to clear their end better. There was a glaringly obvious example of this that led to a goal but it was a problem all night. Second they need to control the front of the net better as some of the goals would not have happened without a Canadian uncontested down low. Third they need to have stellar goaltending. McCollum was OK but Tokarski took control of the game for Canada and the US did not match.

Am I a homer?
It was Shattenkirk that was sent head-first into the boards and the reftard completely blew the call. It should have been a 5 minute for sure.

The US got shafted big time by the officiating yesterday. If he makes the right call on the hit from behind, who knows what could of happened. Also, on Canada's 4th goal (to make the game 4-3) the timekeeper (total moron who can't count) let the Canadian player out of the box early and they scored. The US coach made a huge stink about the goal to the official right after but they somehow let the goal stand.

I was rooting for Canada and Shattenkirk but was simply disgusted by the officiating, it was horrid.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:50 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Am I a homer?
No.

The officiating was frustrating.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:52 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
It was Shattenkirk that was sent head-first into the boards and the reftard completely blew the call. It should have been a 5 minute for sure.

The US got shafted big time by the officiating yesterday. If he makes the right call on the hit from behind, who knows what could of happened. Also, on Canada's 4th goal (to make the game 4-3) the timekeeper (total moron who can't count) let the Canadian player out of the box early and they scored. The US coach made a huge stink about the goal to the official right after but they somehow let the goal stand.

I was rooting for Canada and Shattenkirk but was simply disgusted by the officiating, it was horrid.
OK, as long as it wasn't just me. The other thing that kind of sucked was that the Canada got a day of rest before this big game and the US didn't. In watching the Kaz vs. Canada game I thought they got some calls that were sketchy and Kaz got called on some just because the refs thought they must have taken a penalty. They definitely have been given a leg up in this tournament.

That all said, they have looked pretty darn good and I am not sure any of this really matters. From what I have seen Canada is the best team in the tourney and I too am impressed with the US boys staying with them. If they meet in final it will be a barn burner.

Old
01-01-2009, 04:09 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I was wondering what happened on that play. I had the game muted while listening to the Avs game, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why he was so steamed.

Anyway, that was a very entertaining game and I hope these teams meet up again in the finals.

detrude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Jori

Twenty minutes away from another epic fail for Team USA. I hope McCollum plays like this when he becomes a Red Wing

Shattenkirk has been pretty poor on both ends of the ice, easily his worst game of the tournament.

Old
01-02-2009, 04:31 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Twenty minutes away from another epic fail for Team USA. I hope McCollum plays like this when he becomes a Red Wing

Shattenkirk has been pretty poor on both ends of the ice, easily his worst game of the tournament.
Maybe if the US could stop bumping into the goaltender, they could get this thing tied up.

Old
01-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Jori

To be fair, Janus was doing his best Hasek impersonation, but this is a failure by the coaching staff, specifically Rolston imo. The selection process should also be at fault. Petrecki should have been on this team, they have been too soft.

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Jori

Detroit don't wait...sign McCollum now

I feel bad for the kid, Rolston should have used Unice sometime during this tournament. Poor coaching by him and these US teams continue to lack cohesiveness.

Well, I'm putting my Canada hat now...time to root for my mother's home country.

Old
01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Though when one team gets the better goaltending, and catches a few breaks, anything can happen.

Old
01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
To be fair, Janus was doing his best Hasek impersonation, but this is a failure by the coaching staff, specifically Rolston imo. The selection process should also be at fault. Petrecki should have been on this team, they have been too soft.
The Slovak goaltender really played quite well.

And Shattenkirk can shoot.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
The Slovak goaltender really played quite well.

And Shattenkirk can shoot.

-AB
Yes he can...pucks and sticks

Old
01-02-2009, 05:05 PM
nova scotia

Other than the Major Junior players on team USA the others had no stamina!!!!! The result of a soft schedule.

nova scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:07 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Canada may as well go out and get drunk tonight. They've got this thing won already. They may as well let their sisters play the Swede's for the finals too.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova scotia View Post
Other than the Major Junior players on team USA the others had no stamina!!!!! The result of a soft schedule.
I realize part of that post is in jest, but this constant putting down of the NCAA and it's schedule is a bit annoying. It was the least of the problems for the Americans today and in this tournament.

Old
01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Canada may as well go out and get drunk tonight. They've got this thing won already. They may as well let their sisters play the Swede's for the finals too.
Tavares and Hedman head-to-head should be fun

Old
01-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
I realize part of that post is in jest, but this constant putting down of the NCAA and it's schedule is a bit annoying. It was the least of the problems for the Americans today and in this tournament.
I agree. I don't think the NCAA is on the level of Canadian Major Juniors, but it's still a damn good league and produces quite a few quality NHLers.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:06 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
Though when one team gets the better goaltending, and catches a few breaks, anything can happen.
That was my biggest fear after the Canada loss - run into a hot goalie with a team scrapping to stay alive. USA has no excuses though, every team around them overcame odds and adversity but the US folded like a set of cheap lawn chairs. That top line really failed to get it done and even Schroeder looked pretty bad in this game. My grandma can skate faster than his penalty shot attempt. He allowed the goalie the ability to match him deke for deke by not using time and space properly. VanReimsdyk sure looked out of place to my eyes as well. Shatty looked OK but definitely not a game to base a career on. USA Hockey has to look hard in the mirror and evaluate every aspect of the team: selection, preparation, coaching, goaltending, the whole she-bang. Just wow.

Old
01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

I am not sure who it was, but there was a scout on Sirius today talking about the American team and the loss today. They asked him who impressed him from the team in the tournament. He said Shattenkirk and Schroeder. I know I am biased but I really think Shatty should have been the captain of that team. He stood out in every game I watched and was their best d man, in both ends.

Last edited by bohlmeister: 01-02-2009 at 10:12 PM.
bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote