HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Hate 'Em, But Wow Them Bruins

Old
01-02-2009, 03:43 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
They have had an incredibly easy last 15 games or something with the exception of the 2 pittsburgh games. We havnt seen the real Bruins yet, they will slump and they will slump hard.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:31 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
They have had an incredibly easy last 15 games or something with the exception of the 2 pittsburgh games. We havnt seen the real Bruins yet, they will slump and they will slump hard.
No they won't. They are a good, young, well coached team playing a style where they are all on the same page. They execute very well and I was impressed with them last night as I watched them on NESN. They play for each other and have each others backs. They have a very good chemistry that is visible as well. Don't write them off they are worthy of the praise they are getting right now.

That said we could kick their ***** anytime we are so inclined!!

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 04:38 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Grattez Carbonneau et verrez la vérité. Scratch Carbonneau and behold the truth.

As for the rest, the young Bruins (Kessel, Krejci, Wheeler, etc.) may be more talented than the young Habs. Also, by splitting the goaltending duties, the Bruins are getting more out of Thomas and Fernandez.
The Bruins young players are not more talented than ours they simply are having the year ours had last year. Splitting goal tending duties doesn't work long term: you can't platoon goalies and win. It's never done. Even Julien chose to go with Huet which led to his firing but he had to pick a #1 goalie. Mind you Theo sucked then so it was an easy call but you have to make a choice, two goalie systems never work later in the season and in the playoffs.

Old
01-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
AND they drafted Maxwell just ahead of Lucic !

But, as we all know, Trevor Timmins is a genious, and the Habs should never, ever draft from the Q !!!!

Can you imagine a Lucic- Krecji-Giroux line ?
All three still haven't been given full chance yet. Maybe Boston just knows how and when to get their youth involved? As good as our prospects over the last 7 years have been, I have had my qualms with how they're developed and how they're handled when they get there (and of all the coaches, Julien did the worst with relying on veterans!). The fact UFAs go there more often has helped them, as we've constantly been turned down while they enjoy the exploits of signings like Savard and Chara (mind you before 2006 plenty of their deals were failures, ie. Zhamnov, Leetch, Lapointe). Maxwell ahead of Lucic is questionable obviously, seeing as how a tough hombre like Lucic would make our skilled guys flourish on his line.

But Chips and Fischer have yet to get their spots and we're moaning and whining over them? Let them be what they are. Boy before he even becomes a regular Chipchura has all these haters, doubters and naysayers who act like they know how good he will be. They will hold it against him if he isn't better than the guys drafted after him. If he flops, blame management. But he hasn't flopped yet when he's been kept in the AHL forever. Timmins is not perfect but to hate on him for the few mistakes he has made is simply nitpicking and borderline ungrateful.

P.S. I love how the Habs are stupid for firing Julien, but no one brings up how Lamiorello fired him at the end of the regular season despite leading the Devils to an eventual division title. How odd does that look now that Julien is coaching a superior team to both the Habs and Devils?

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

congrats to them, im in shock.

Solid lineup. Home record is scary.

Confidence is results. Playoffs are a different story, but as for regular season so far, wow.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Honestly... I think its all Claude, not much in the team itself has changed, yes, Kessel and Krejci has emerged, but I think its all in the coach. The players have bought into the system and play for eachother. There is no one "superstar" or pre-madonna its all one unit.

Question for Habs fans.... Why did Claude get the boot? I never understood that (I have heard many different things) and I never got why he was canned in Jersey (I heard because he didn't get along with Marty B and crazy old Lou decided to give him the boot)

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
Honestly... I think its all Claude, not much in the team itself has changed, yes, Kessel and Krejci has emerged, but I think its all in the coach. The players have bought into the system and play for eachother. There is no one "superstar" or pre-madonna its all one unit.

Question for Habs fans.... Why did Claude get the boot? I never understood that (I have heard many different things) and I never got why he was canned in Jersey (I heard because he didn't get along with Marty B and crazy old Lou decided to give him the boot)
Jersey I can't speak for but at least there he was doing well when they canned him. The Habs had a 13-3-3 start in 05-06 after Julien had brought the team back to respectability in 03-04. But they were really slumping and although he was fired 2 games above .500, the Habs had fallen out of a playoff spot and were just useless defensively, despite playing a defense-first system. 5-on-5 offense was pretty non-existent by this point too (January 2006).

Firing him got us to the playoffs thanks to a stellar March and April but in February the Habs looked as bad if not worse than under Julien before his firing. He was playing a defensive waiting game system that always seemed to fall apart. Theodore was really awful throughout the season even when the team was doing well, so it was really Julien's undoing. But he also made strange decisions by giving AHL callups early no ice time and no PP time instead giving struggling vets all the time to recover their form.

It became frustrating but Julien was never a terrible coach. He had promise and I figured he'd get another job one day. He seems to have matured in his style and approach to become a top flight coach. But believe me, many wanted him gone at the time so no one can tell me Hab fans never agreed with the move nor that they thought it ok at the time. A small group found the move unnecessary, but more people have come out of the woodwork since as if they hated the move from the start.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:16 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concessionaire View Post
All good points. And believe me, we Bruins fans know how lucky we are to have Claude behind the bench.

I think another thing that is working in the Bs favor this season is the absence of Glen Murray. He was a good soldier for many years, but last season he just lost his mojo completely and was killing our top line. Addition by subtraction.
Gainey fired Julien because he wanted Carbonneau, and because he disagreed with his decision to play Huet instead of Théodore. We know who was right.

Julien got fired for who the heck knows in New Jersey, after taking a semi-decent squad to a very good position in the regular season. Then he took over a Bruins team that everybody was seeing 15th (behind the 14th place habs) last year, and even with them crippled he managed to get them in the playoffs and scare the **** out of our 1st place habs.

Julien is a good coach. Not a coach that'll give you sexy news conferences and flashy stuff, but I,m sure he has the respect of all in the Bruins locker room.

This being said, we hate you even more now that you don't suck.

1UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:34 PM
cneely

Quote:
They've also played the Devils, Caps and Wings in that span. The only loss was to the Caps in Washington.

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to finish with 130+ points, which is what they're on pace for, so I'm sure they'll have a to lose a few at some point.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
suprez

Bergeron . It's ironic but the Bruins play better without Bergeron.Like someone said the Bruins don't have much ppl injured.If Savard,Tim Thomas and Chara /Lucic were injured i doubt they would win 10 in a row.

We had Komi injured for 3-4 week , Higgins most of the season . Carey Price he got perma Flu / Koivu Injured/Andrei Kostytin injured for 3 week .. Now Alex Tanguay for 6 WEEK .. Laraque well .. Always injured lol ..

I mean think about it. Our entire First line injured (Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins)
And yet we're still 4 in the east.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
The Bruins young players are not more talented than ours they simply are having the year ours had last year. Splitting goal tending duties doesn't work long term: you can't platoon goalies and win. It's never done. Even Julien chose to go with Huet which led to his firing but he had to pick a #1 goalie. Mind you Theo sucked then so it was an easy call but you have to make a choice, two goalie systems never work later in the season and in the playoffs.
Without any intent to offend you, I don't buy a single thing you say. You don't think Kessel and Krejci will zoom past the scoring marks set by Plekanec, Higgins, and AKost last season? Not to mention Wheeler. Finally, Lucic will score more goals than Latendresse did last season. So who's left for you to make your comparisons? No one.

As for Thomas and Fernandez, Julien will choose one--the one who looks the best. But in the meantime neither one will have been worked to death, so either one would be fresh.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:41 PM
koivu

These 2 guys I hate the most in entire NHL:

#2 - Chara already plays 30 minutes a game - I just hope he blows a tire at this rate before the playoffs even happen - they are really playing him a lot.

#1 - Lucic, I just hope someone would smash his face already - we know no Hab is going to - Laraque was such a bust. I still remember how he mouthed off to Kovalev and showboated when he took Komisarek out - can someone, anyone just knock this guy down already.

Both are good players, but damn do you hate them!

koivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:42 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
.They are 1 st overall.they may lose few,but no way they are gonna slump like you think.they are getting players back now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Without any intent to offend you, I don't buy a single thing you say. You don't think Kessel and Krejci will zoom past the scoring marks set by Plekanec, Higgins, and AKost last season? Not to mention Wheeler. Finally, Lucic will score more goals than Latendresse did last season. So who's left for you to make your comparisons? No one.

As for Thomas and Fernandez, Julien will choose one--the one who looks the best. But in the meantime neither one will have been worked to death, so either one would be fresh.
happy New Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprez View Post
Bergeron . It's ironic but the Bruins play better without Bergeron.Like someone said the Bruins don't have much ppl injured.If Savard,Tim Thomas and Chara /Lucic were injured i doubt they would win 10 in a row.

We had Komi injured for 3-4 week , Higgins most of the season . Carey Price he got perma Flu / Koivu Injured/Andrei Kostytin injured for 3 week .. Now Alex Tanguay for 6 WEEK .. Laraque well .. Always injured lol ..

I mean think about it. Our entire First line injured (Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins)
And yet we're still 4 in the east.
bruins played without Ference Ward Sturm and Bergeron for alot of time.Get over it already.You got a good system or not.?deep or shallow team?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-02-2009 at 11:13 PM.
22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:50 PM
CDJ

As a Bruins fan, I can say we have had our share of the injury bug, but you guys have had it the worst. Multiple key players have gone down for you guys, including your captain.

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
AND they drafted Maxwell just ahead of Lucic !

But, as we all know, Trevor Timmins is a genious, and the Habs should never, ever draft from the Q !!!!

Can you imagine a Lucic- Krecji-Giroux line ?
Uhhh...and the significance of this guy is...?

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:17 PM
GrumpyJ
My name is Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
They're awsome....but they won't keep the same pace all year long IMO (they had no injury problems so far, excpet maybe Bergeron a little) and the regular season is the regular season...

Congrats to them though!
Sturm is out on LTIR and has been out for around a month (may be gone for the season)...we just got Wardo back after about a month away and Ference has been out for most of the season with a broken leg (top 4 Dman)...add to that Bergeron, and injuries are quite a concern in Boston as they are in Montreal...I'm sorry, but I would honestly say your statement is 100% incorrect.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
marty

The Bruins will slump, the injury bug gets everyone. However, they won't finish too far down the standings - case in point - if they go .500 for their remaining 44 games they will have 108pts. Also through 38 games they have 141 goals for and 84 against. That's great coaching, and a great system. They're playing amazing, and as a life long B's fan I love it.

Hope we don't see you in the playoffs cause the Habs always beat the Bruins and it's getting sooo old - for me haha.

marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:41 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu View Post

#2 - Chara already plays 30 minutes a game - I just hope he blows a tire at this rate before the playoffs even happen - they are really playing him a lot.

#1 - Lucic, I just hope someone would smash his face already - we know no Hab is going to - Laraque was such a bust. I still remember how he mouthed off to Kovalev and showboated when he took Komisarek out - can someone, anyone just knock this guy down already.

They play Minnesota next week maybe yellowstripe Lucic will ask Boogard to go

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:03 AM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
They play Minnesota next week maybe yellowstripe Lucic will ask Boogard to go
Well he did go with Boulton, so who knows.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty View Post
Hope we don't see you in the playoffs cause the Habs always beat the Bruins and it's getting sooo old - for me haha.
The who beats who in the playoffs was reversed in the late 80's-early 90's.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:26 AM
MetroOpensDoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu View Post

Actually, Chara plays only 26:16 a game, which is 6th in the league, and down from last season when he was a Norris finalist.

MetroOpensDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:57 AM
guapo23

I'm really impressed with the Bruins this year.
But methinks they are peacking too early and setting themselves up for
some serious heartbreak in the playoffs.

If they stay healthy, you have to remember that their top players do not have much playoff experience.

Savard (did Atlanta ever make the playoffs with him ?)
Wideman (rookie)
Kessel

etc..

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:39 AM
koivu

Bruins better win it this year, because next year they have Cap problems - Big time. They will not stay together.

How long do you think Lucic, arguably the best PF in the league, goes along with playing for $850,000 per year?? I smell a holdout.

Boston Cap is already 12 million higher than Canadiens, (63 millions vs. 51 million)

Zdeno Chara $7,500,000
Marc Savard $5,000,000
Patrice Bergeron $4,750,000
Manny Fernandez $4,333,000
Glen Murray $4,150,000
Michael Ryder $4,000,000
Dennis Wideman $3,938,000
Marco Sturm $3,500,000
Tuukka Rask $3,200,000
Aaron Ward $2,500,000
Chuck Kobasew $2,333,000

Lot of big salarys there - but look at where some of there Best Players are at:

Phil Kessel $2,200,000
David Krejci $883,000
Milan Lucic $850,000

Kessel and Krecjci are Restricted Free Agents.
Lucic is signed next year - but they will need to renegotiate, no way he plays for that low salary next year.

Boston cap hit for next year $43 million
Montreal's cap hit for next year is... only $21 million

Old
01-03-2009, 08:30 AM
koivu

Habs vs. Bruins Salary Cap

Bruins better win it this year, because next year they have Cap problems - Big time. They will not stay together.

How long do you think Lucic, arguably the best PF in the league, goes along with playing for $850,000 per year?? I smell a holdout.

Boston Cap is already 12 million higher than Canadiens, (63 millions vs. 51 million)

Zdeno Chara $7,500,000
Marc Savard $5,000,000
Patrice Bergeron $4,750,000
Manny Fernandez $4,333,000
Glen Murray $4,150,000
Michael Ryder $4,000,000
Dennis Wideman $3,938,000
Marco Sturm $3,500,000
Tuukka Rask $3,200,000
Aaron Ward $2,500,000
Chuck Kobasew $2,333,000

Lot of big salarys there - but look at where some of there Best Players are at:

Phil Kessel $2,200,000
David Krejci $883,000
Milan Lucic $850,000

Kessel and Krecjci are Restricted Free Agents.
Lucic is signed next year - but they will need to renegotiate, no way he plays for that low salary next year.

Boston cap hit for next year $43 million
Montreal's cap hit for next year is... only $21 million

Old
01-03-2009, 10:42 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post

Why would I take offense? It's just a simple debate.

If your GM reacted to most posters Kessel would have been traded over the summer so you can plainly see that one season means nothing. Let the young players develop and then make the comparisons. Let the season end before estimating where the players rank against each other. Zooming by scoring marks is a big statement. If they finish 5-10 points ahead of our players while having career years is that really such a big deal?

The B's are very good there is no denying it and the young players are part of the reason as well as the beneficiaries of a very confident team that plays like they are all on the same page...Juliens page.

I agree that Julien will choose one goalie because he has no choice but to do so. No debate there.