HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Lost tonight but good road trip

Old
01-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Domenic

vCash: 500
UFAs

Keep:
Saku Koivu
Michael Komisarek

Cia-cia-ciao:
Alex Tanguay
Alexei Kovalev
Robert Lang
Steve Begin
Tom Kostopoulos
Francis Bouillon
Mathieu Dandenault
Patrice Brisebois

Addition by subtraction.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:52 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
UFAs

Keep:
Saku Koivu
Michael Komisarek

Cia-cia-ciao:
Alex Tanguay
Alexei Kovalev
Robert Lang
Steve Begin
Tom Kostopoulos
Francis Bouillon
Mathieu Dandenault
Patrice Brisebois

Addition by subtraction.
Right. Getting rid of 3 of the top 5 scorers on this team is addition by subtraction.

It's guys like Plekanec, and both the Kostitsyn's that need to step up to the plate more. Kovalev is leading the team with points, so he's obviously doing something right. His linemates haven't been particularly great this season either.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Domenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Right. Getting rid of 3 of the top 5 scorers on this team is addition by subtraction.
Neither of which are in the top 60 in the NHL in scoring.

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:17 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

For what it's worth I thought you guys still played a solid game given your injuries

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Bluebillion

Thumbs up to Max for an awesome 1 goal in 1 game of his career.
Halak seems rusty since Price came back, Denis didn't do so well either but improvement.

The Habs "NEED" Carey Price right now, he's their main frame since Koivu, Tanguay, Laraque, ect are injured.

If Price plays on Sunday against the Panthers, should be an easy 3-1 win I'm predicting

Bluebillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:36 AM
kernkraft

Sergei Kostitsyn: 21
Matt D'Agostini: 21
Max Pacioretty: 20
Andrei Kostitsyn: 23
Kyle Chipchura: 22
Maxime Lapierre: 23
Guillaume Latendresse: 21

Holy crap that's young, if this team can go over .500 while Koivu and Higgins are gone, it'd be mighty impressive.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Dripper

vCash: 50
My lines for next game:

AKost-Plekanec-Kovy
MaxPac-Lang-Dagger
Lats-Laps-Kostopoulos
Begin-Chipchura-Weber

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:15 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I won't lie, on a season-wide basis I've been somewhat disappointed with Kovalev....whether it be his drive, motivation, smarts, or something else......what he had last season is lacking this season.

But maybe that's okay -- last season he was an absolute beast but disappeared in the playoffs....PERHAPS this year he is a bit off-and-on and he'll be his usual dominant self in the post-season. That's my own personal prediction. But I would also like to express how much I think Kovalev is coming around in the past few weeks. I'm not upset with his recent play at all.

Even though many of the Devils acted like Pylons on the PK tonight, he danced a bit around them. It was fun to see and when I look back at past Habs seasons when I'm older, Kovy will always be the cream of the crop. He's who you model your skills after, he's who you wish you could rival one day

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:49 AM
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Doubt he'll do it tonight though, I heard he is in Hamilton for their game tonight and tomorrows game too.
He is evaluating the team like he has been evaluating the habs for the last 5 yrs.

Who is left in hamilton.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 06:00 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn: 21
Matt D'Agostini: 21
Max Pacioretty: 20
Andrei Kostitsyn: 23
Kyle Chipchura: 22
Maxime Lapierre: 23
Guillaume Latendresse: 21
Halak: 23
Gorges:24

Holy crap that's young, if this team can go over .500 while Koivu and Higgins are gone, it'd be mighty impressive.
added two

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
what he had last season is lacking this season.
It's called "luck". Everything clicked for him last year. He has the same drive this year, but, unlike last year, not everything he touches turns to gold.

Kovalev doesn't have elite talent (not even close) which is why he'll never be a consistent elite player. He has elite skill which gives him a chance to be one of the league's best during any given year, but he simply can't do it every year.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 08:29 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Price being out for this game shows how important he has become to this team. When Price is in net it doesn't seem to matter how many players are out with injuries, he keeps the score low giving the team the opportunity to win every game. When this team gets healthy again I think this team is going to be in for a very good end of season rush into the playoffs.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 08:49 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66lemieux View Post
Trade Kovalev, please

He was invisible once again tonight, except for his usual 3rd period penalty.
this is becoming tiresome to me.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 10:00 AM
la25ecoupe

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 10:08 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
so.. what you're saying is "kovalev is ticklish! ship him out!"

anyways.. apparently 1 thing hasnt changed since ive been gone and thats the knee-jerk reactions around these parts haha.

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 10:33 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Neither of which are in the top 60 in the NHL in scoring.
Your point being? They're still the top scorers on the team right now. You're deluding yourself if you actually think we'll be "gaining" something by losing those three players.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:24 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66lemieux View Post
Trade Kovalev, please

He was invisible once again tonight, except for his usual 3rd period penalty.
ugh...NO.

He is still the same Kovalev as last year...the puck is just not going in (SH%8.41). Look at his career stats and you will see that he is on pace for a 60+ points season although he is not producing on the PP.

Also, let's be honest, the guy is watched like a hawk out there. To neutralize Kovalev, you simply have to cramp the space around him - and this is no strip joint cramping he you know what I mean. You need to give a linemate that is also a threat so that focus may be diverted. Pleks and AK are no threat this year...

Kovalev is no superstar, he lacks the consistency to reach such a plateau. He is not in the ranks of Crosby, Malkin, Semin or Ovechin...Still, Kovalev provides pure greatness. By team effort or by single prowess, you don't trade away greatness.

You may not sign for greatness again but that is a whole other subject...

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
UFAs

Keep:
Saku Koivu
Michael Komisarek

Cia-cia-ciao:
Alex Tanguay
Alexei Kovalev
Robert Lang
Steve Begin
Tom Kostopoulos
Francis Bouillon
Mathieu Dandenault
Patrice Brisebois

Addition by subtraction.
Tomko and Kovy are keepers and we might squeez Tanguay somewhere. Letting Kovy go has never been an addition for any club and i doubt it will ever be.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Maurice Richard*

This is what has happened to a once proud franchise .It started with accepting just making the playoffs is good enough , now its yeah they arent in the top 50 in scoring BUT they lead our team in points .Dominic is probably an older hab fan like myself where we remember the season wasnt a success unless the team photo had the big mug sitting in the front row with the captain .When usually 4 or 5 of the top scorers wore the CH .
Now Montreal is a team content to be just good enough and our guys try hard .What a debacle ...what is the risk of getting rid of guys who arent even in the top 50 in points ?? Anything we get back wether it be drfat picks or warm bodies would be an improvement , heck there is kids in the system who could probably score on par with half of the stifferellis we got .
We are becoming the 80s Leafs !!!!
Trade em , change it up maybe we can be the ones who win a deal for once , maybe we end up stealing a Leclair in a deal for once .Anything is better than hoping Kovi is gonna have a " on " year this year , and lets hope the Kostitsyns play like last year .Roll the dice , maybe we miss the playoffs by lots and can retool like the Flyers did , one bad year and they stock the shelfs with studs like Carter and Richards .

Maurice Richard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:58 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I won't lie, on a season-wide basis I've been somewhat disappointed with Kovalev....whether it be his drive, motivation, smarts, or something else......what he had last season is lacking this season.

But maybe that's okay -- last season he was an absolute beast but disappeared in the playoffs....PERHAPS this year he is a bit off-and-on and he'll be his usual dominant self in the post-season. That's my own personal prediction. But I would also like to express how much I think Kovalev is coming around in the past few weeks. I'm not upset with his recent play at all.

Even though many of the Devils acted like Pylons on the PK tonight, he danced a bit around them. It was fun to see and when I look back at past Habs seasons when I'm older, Kovy will always be the cream of the crop. He's who you model your skills after, he's who you wish you could rival one day
It's statements like this that stun me when I read them on a Habs board. We all knew coming in that Kovy was not going to have a year like last season. Why? Because it was a career year and those happen occasionally not every single year. We all agreed that 80% of what he did last year with all the younger players getting better made us a strong contender. The younger guys are soiling the bed right now so Kovy takes the blame?

Also, without Kovy we don't get past Boston in round one. Period. How people make the statement that he disappeared in the playoffs because we didn't sweep Boston is beyond me. And like Kovy said: the goalie beat us when they lost to Philly.

This board blows when we lose.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Richard View Post
This is what has happened to a once proud franchise .It started with accepting just making the playoffs is good enough , now its yeah they arent in the top 50 in scoring BUT they lead our team in points .Dominic is probably an older hab fan like myself where we remember the season wasnt a success unless the team photo had the big mug sitting in the front row with the captain .When usually 4 or 5 of the top scorers wore the CH .
Now Montreal is a team content to be just good enough and our guys try hard .What a debacle ...what is the risk of getting rid of guys who arent even in the top 50 in points ?? Anything we get back wether it be drfat picks or warm bodies would be an improvement , heck there is kids in the system who could probably score on par with half of the stifferellis we got .
We are becoming the 80s Leafs !!!!
Trade em , change it up maybe we can be the ones who win a deal for once , maybe we end up stealing a Leclair in a deal for once .Anything is better than hoping Kovi is gonna have a " on " year this year , and lets hope the Kostitsyns play like last year .Roll the dice , maybe we miss the playoffs by lots and can retool like the Flyers did , one bad year and they stock the shelfs with studs like Carter and Richards .
They drafted them both.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I've never been a Kovalev fan (even before he joined us) and never will be. I find him to be selfish and lazy and that's not the type of player that I like on my team.

Having said that, I don't blame him for not performing as that's who he is. Kovalev should be our second line winger, not being relied on so much. I blame management for their inability to secure a true star player for many years and that needs to change and soon enough, Koivu and Kovy will be retiring.

Trade Kovalev? Only if it's in a package for a true star player like Kovalchuk.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:17 PM
sampollock

what is bob waiting for, make a deal, and bring some scoring to this team......

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Istvan

This game wasn't much of a surprise. Halak was a little rusty. The PP is still struggling. Gorges keeps proving he's a legit top 4 dman. Chipchura and Pacioretty played very well. Kostopoulos' fight seemed pointless. The Devils could put you to sleep. Parise would look very good in a Hab jersey. Breezy needs a rest. he team didn't phone it in they were just outgunned by a much healthier team.

And of course the game ignited the usual lynch Carbo, BG is a dolt, team is gutless, Kovy hater crap. So, everything pretty much as expected. Looking forward to Sunday.

Last edited by Istvan: 01-03-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add
Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:49 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Come on Kovy pull my finger Carbo is right behind me.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote