HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

playing with a shorter stick

Old
01-02-2009, 04:56 PM
zakhawk91

vCash: 500
playing with a shorter stick

anyone out there who does? i got an ak27 today and it comes up to the bottom of my nose with the blade in. ive been playing a mac daddy for a while and it comes up to the middle of my nose, maybe 3/4 inch difference. i hear the shorter stick helps stick handling, but would like some advice from someone who has tried it. thanks

zakhawk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I use a stick up to about my upper lip in skates, and have gone down to a shorter stick before and felt no better at stick handling etc. The disadvantages in losing length are 1) less poke checking/receiving passes etc 2) lose little shot velocity 3) faceoffs. I know Mario Lemieux used an ultra long stick and he seemed to be okay at stick handling

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:31 PM
noobman

To be honest... I'd take a longer stick over a shorter stick, but I switch up between wing and D a lot. My stick isn't "long", but it isn't short either. The longest stick I ever used was at eye level. It was comfortable for stickhandling and GREAT for playing defence, but my shots were terrible with it.

There's a guy on my league team that uses a really short stick... it helps because he can handle the puck in close and go top shelf from in-tight. He can also get a rocket shot off despite being on one knee, which is good for him because he's a small guy that gets knocked over quite a bit.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhawk91 View Post
anyone out there who does? i got an ak27 today and it comes up to the bottom of my nose with the blade in. ive been playing a mac daddy for a while and it comes up to the middle of my nose, maybe 3/4 inch difference. i hear the shorter stick helps stick handling, but would like some advice from someone who has tried it. thanks
Well, the stick should come to the bottom of your chin with your skates on and to the bottom of your nose with your skates off. This is the proper placement.

I have been known to know Russians that use their stick at the collar bone. This will force you to keep that deep knee bend to catch that puck.

But for you, the bottom your your chin with your skates on, is the correct length.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, the stick should come to the bottom of your chin with your skates on and to the bottom of your nose with your skates off. This is the proper placement.

I have been known to know Russians that use their stick at the collar bone. This will force you to keep that deep knee bend to catch that puck.

But for you, the bottom your your chin with your skates on, is the correct length.

Head coach
It's all personal preference. I'm a great stick handler and the stick comes up to my nose. It doesn't feel tall at all, anything shorter feels to short.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:23 AM
FutureConsiderations

I went from a 5.5 lie shorter stick to a 6 lie bigger stick. Not as good at stickhandling in tight, but better reach and better shot power (longer stick means more loading capacity).

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:36 PM
nopan
we're here

Send a message via Skype™ to nopan
My Dolomite comes around to my eyes, and I consider myself a good stickhandler so I haven't had any difficulties stickhandling with a longer stick.

nopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49K View Post
My Dolomite comes around to my eyes, and I consider myself a good stickhandler so I haven't had any difficulties stickhandling with a longer stick.
Oh, how's your stride? Your a fast skater I take it? Hockey is 80% skating, not 80% stickhandling. Having the stick come to your chin, will allow the blade to rest on the ice to catch the puck, when you have that 90% knee bend. The 90 % knee bend will give you maximum power in your stride.

With the stick up around your eyes, tells me that you stand up more in order for the blade to receive the puck, which means less power in your stride. Which means that you are a slower skater. Now don't get me wrong, it's ok to be slow. in fact a lot of people skate slow.

I know, right about now you are going to say...I skate find, in fact I am one of the fastest on my team.

Well, you can be faster! If the stick is by your eyes and you are able to control the puck on your stick, then you are leaning too much forward, or your elbows are sticking out.

It just that, the shorter the stick, the more knee bend you will need in order to control the puck. The tall the stick, the less knees bend you will have in order to control the puck.

The less knee bend, the less stride you have, the less power you have. Now the next time you are trying to get around a defensemen with your fancy stick work, keep a mental picture on what happens with the puck when you start that deke.

Head coach

Old
01-03-2009, 03:02 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

You're one of those guys who coaches precisely by the book aren't you?

SyracuseBulldogs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 03:24 PM
qwertysac

Actually, he's one of the best posters on this board

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 05:35 PM
tamtamg

I think stick length, like all things related to the stick comes down to personal preference. Sure their are general guidelines that a player can follow, but if you find something that works for you, go with it. Personally I use sticks that comes up to my adams apple on skates. I found it easier to stick handle and get good snappers and wristers off at this length.

tamtamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseBulldogs View Post
You're one of those guys who coaches precisely by the book aren't you?
By the book....aaaaah, no! And no, I didn't write the book either. Trust me when I tell you, I have only been doing this now for 35 years and I am still learning.

It's just that there are some time tested truths about the game that will not change because of a new invention or a new pill that will make you skate faster.

If you want to skate with a stick that's too long, be my guest. In fact the other team will love you for it.

Example: Let's look at what a defensemen will see and think. If he's really good, he will look at your stick and see that it's too long and will use it against you. How is he going to use your stick against you?

He will control the gap a little wider because you have a longer stick, which means he will not have to control the gap that tight, which means he can poke check the puck off your stick with ease.

Now there are a lot of things you can do to keep the defensemen from kicking your a**, but that's for another day.

Good Luck.
Head coach

Old
01-04-2009, 02:56 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Oh, how's your stride? Your a fast skater I take it? Hockey is 80% skating, not 80% stickhandling. Having the stick come to your chin, will allow the blade to rest on the ice to catch the puck, when you have that 90% knee bend. The 90 % knee bend will give you maximum power in your stride.

With the stick up around your eyes, tells me that you stand up more in order for the blade to receive the puck, which means less power in your stride. Which means that you are a slower skater. Now don't get me wrong, it's ok to be slow. in fact a lot of people skate slow.

I know, right about now you are going to say...I skate find, in fact I am one of the fastest on my team.

Well, you can be faster! If the stick is by your eyes and you are able to control the puck on your stick, then you are leaning too much forward, or your elbows are sticking out.

It just that, the shorter the stick, the more knee bend you will need in order to control the puck. The tall the stick, the less knees bend you will have in order to control the puck.

The less knee bend, the less stride you have, the less power you have. Now the next time you are trying to get around a defensemen with your fancy stick work, keep a mental picture on what happens with the puck when you start that deke.

Head coach
You know your arms extend too, right? Being that some guys skate leaned over(even in the NHL), then you add length of arms and where you tuck your upper hand(under your shoulder or extended and everything inbetween)... Then add the lie of the pattern and the rocker on the blade... Stick length tells you NOTHING about skating technique.

Does stick length play a factor in how you play? Yes. ...But you're not going to tell me that I skate differently when I have a stick that is 3" shorter because the lie on the stick is 6 instead of 5.

The best puckhandlers typically use shorter sticks. Are they better because they have better skating technique because of a shorter stick? NO. It's just easier to puckhandle with a shorter stick.

Last edited by TBLfan: 01-04-2009 at 03:02 AM.
TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 03:22 AM
noobman

I maintain my form (I play a little higher than I should... knee gives out in proper position =\) regardless of stick length. I just end up carrying the puck further away from my body with a longer stick. The great thing about stickhandling with a longer stick is that you can almost always see the puck while keeping your head up. The downside is that you can't control the puck in close, you get sticklifted easily, and you lose a lot of leverage.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 03:44 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Lots of personal preference and once you use a certain length for many years, it's very hard to change. The eyes, probably a bit long but who's to say for certain? He should try one maybe an inch or two shorter to really determine so and just see how it feels.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Stick length tells you NOTHING about skating technique.

Does stick length play a factor in how you play? Yes.
The stick length will help you with proper skating posture. It's ok to skate hunched over, John Tonelli ( circa 1980's) played for the Islanders use to play forward like that all the time.

It's just that the proper stick length will allow you or maybe force you to keep that deep knee bend close to 90 degree. More knee bend means more power in your stride.

I don't care if you have a long stick, go ahead and place your arms out longer, the defensemen will love you for it.

Yeah, and I know that once you have been skating with a longer stick it's hard to change and yes I know it's a personal preference. It probably while you were growing up, your coach didn't teach you for correct you for the proper length of a stcik.

Oh, don't feel bad, I see that all the time. I get a Peewee on the ice that has problems, we cut his stick and the problem areas go away.

As for you, yes maybe it's too late to have you change. But it's ok, you will still be able to play like that.

Head coach

Old
01-04-2009, 09:52 AM
TBLfan

Quote:
The stick length will help you with proper skating posture. It's ok to skate hunched over, John Tonelli ( circa 1980's) played for the Islanders use to play forward like that all the time.

It's just that the proper stick length will allow you or maybe force you to keep that deep knee bend close to 90 degree. More knee bend means more power in your stride.

Head coach
The stick length will not force you to get a deep knee bend, only you will force yourself to get a deep knee bend. A stick isn't a magic wand. How many guys have a short stick and are bent over like they're tying their shoes. Stop acting like stick length is the determining factor in knee bend.

And FYI, I use a shorter stick, so don't act like you've seen me play, thanks.

Old
01-04-2009, 11:43 AM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Quote:
By the book....aaaaah, no! And no, I didn't write the book either. Trust me when I tell you, I have only been doing this now for 35 years and I am still learning.

It's just that there are some time tested truths about the game that will not change because of a new invention or a new pill that will make you skate faster.

If you want to skate with a stick that's too long, be my guest. In fact the other team will love you for it.

Example: Let's look at what a defensemen will see and think. If he's really good, he will look at your stick and see that it's too long and will use it against you. How is he going to use your stick against you?

He will control the gap a little wider because you have a longer stick, which means he will not have to control the gap that tight, which means he can poke check the puck off your stick with ease.

Now there are a lot of things you can do to keep the defensemen from kicking your a**, but that's for another day.

Good Luck.
Head coach
You know, you're right, you don't go by the book all the time, like when you whine about a nine year old using a trick that he was creative enough in practicing his stickhandling to learn and use in a between periods display. I have also been a coach, nearly half of my life and played as well, through college and passed on a minor league opportunity and can confidently say that what you wrote above sounds like some crap someone spews directly from a book.

My suggestion would be to do a better job of knowing when to go by the book and when not to since you seem to be doing a crap job of making those decisions...based on your posts here.

SyracuseBulldogs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
The stick length will not force you to get a deep knee bend, only you will force yourself to get a deep knee bend. A stick isn't a magic wand. How many guys have a short stick and are bent over like they're tying their shoes. Stop acting like stick length is the determining factor in knee bend.

And FYI, I use a shorter stick, so don't act like you've seen me play, thanks.
Ok, I see that you use a short stick, that's great. And it's ok if you think stick length doesn't determine knee bend. That's fine too.

It's just that a lot of kids read the forum that are trying to get ahead in their hockey career. You have already made it to the NHL and are at the top of your game.

I on the other hand am just trying to get other people to the top of their game. It's ok if you don't agree. It's all good. Beside, opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

That's what so neat about coaching, everyone has their own style of coaching. That's why some teams win and some teams lose. Yes, players that have been playing for years, (8+) pretty much know how to play the game. But it like trying to conduct an orchestra.

If you have all the player in the orchestra all want to do their own thing, just because they know how to play, then it sound like a rock and roll band and not an orchestra....you get it.

If you have a coach(s) with various coaching styles, you take what you can learn from each coach and move on. Learn the stuff that makes you a success and sh** can the stuff that doesn't.

Getting all the player on a team to play your system is one of the harderst things you can do as a coach. You see, every coach has their own way they think the game should be played.

Get players like you to play the coaches systems, so that you guys all play like a well oiled machine is the hard part. Why?

Because, we get players every year that would like me to coach, like the last coach they just had. It's kind of funny when I hear this every year. And because players like their last coach and they way he teaches systems, sometimes it hard to get players to think about setting their egos aside and learn about new ways to play the game.

I guess that's what so great about this forum, I get a lot of coaching tips on the forum that helps my game. One's never to old to learn.

Head coach

Oh BTW, I played against a Ukrainian team that kicked the ever love'n sh** out of us. So after the game, I went to the coach and invited him out for dinner. Throught an interpreter, I asked him what his secret was. He said....

"The player sticks are cut to come just below the collar bone to force them to keep the deep knee bend!"

Today, five of the playes that kicked the, you know what out of us, now play in the NHL. One of those playes, if I am not mistaken, plays for the Islanders. His name is Zubrus!

Last edited by Headcoach: 01-04-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old
01-04-2009, 11:57 AM
nopan
we're here

Send a message via Skype™ to nopan
Quote:

Head coach
Umm.. no.
I recognize that I'm not the fastest or one of the fastest on my team, and I know I have some improving to do on my speed.

nopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseBulldogs View Post
You know, you're right, you don't go by the book all the time, like when you whine about a nine year old using a trick that he was creative enough in practicing his stickhandling to learn and use in a between periods display. I have also been a coach, nearly half of my life and played as well, through college and passed on a minor league opportunity and can confidently say that what you wrote above sounds like some crap someone spews directly from a book.

My suggestion would be to do a better job of knowing when to go by the book and when not to since you seem to be doing a crap job of making those decisions...based on your posts here.
Thank you, I will take it under advisement and Thank you for the feed back.

Head coach

Old
01-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhawk91 View Post
i have an ak27 also that goes up to my mouth, barely.(skates off) its just a preference. you can stick handle better with a shorter stick. you have to bend more though for shots, especially slap shots

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49K View Post
Umm.. no.
I recognize that I'm not the fastest or one of the fastest on my team, and I know I have some improving to do on my speed.
Ok, then let me make a recommendation. Cut your stick so that it is at your chin, and if it's one of the high end sticks, ok, don't cut it. For a test, go out and get you a wooden stick, cut it, and then see how it feels. Play with it for 30 day only and then see if it helps your game. Every Ice rink in the world will have them laying around...I do. I have 10 wooden stick here at the rink for anyone to use. See if you can find one and cut to meet your chin (skates on) or nose (skates off)

If it doesn't improve your game, go back to playing with a longer stick. If it does improve your game in skating and in shooting...then change.

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 01-04-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old
01-04-2009, 02:53 PM
krax

General rules of thumb are ok. But there are exceptions.
World class player Slava Bykow was captain of the russian team in the late eighties and early nineties. He played with a stick that ended above his head. He was amazing.
His son also seems to use quite lengthy sticks:
http://images.google.ch/imgres?imgur...%3D1%26hl%3Dfr

Then there's is this 10 y.o. kid. He's the best skater, best stickhandler and best sniper in his category. His stick ends above his eyes. Everybody seeing him play, tries to play with a longer stick. He's screwing up a whole generation of hockey players around here, but it works for him...

Last edited by krax: 01-04-2009 at 03:02 PM.
krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:52 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Ok, I see that you use a short stick, that's great. And it's ok if you think stick length doesn't determine knee bend. That's fine too.

It's just that a lot of kids read the forum that are trying to get ahead in their hockey career. You have already made it to the NHL and are at the top of your game.

I on the other hand am just trying to get other people to the top of their game. It's ok if you don't agree. It's all good. Beside, opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

That's what so neat about coaching, everyone has their own style of coaching. That's why some teams win and some teams lose. Yes, players that have been playing for years, (8+) pretty much know how to play the game. But it like trying to conduct an orchestra.

If you have all the player in the orchestra all want to do their own thing, just because they know how to play, then it sound like a rock and roll band and not an orchestra....you get it.

If you have a coach(s) with various coaching styles, you take what you can learn from each coach and move on. Learn the stuff that makes you a success and sh** can the stuff that doesn't.

Getting all the player on a team to play your system is one of the harderst things you can do as a coach. You see, every coach has their own way they think the game should be played.

Get players like you to play the coaches systems, so that you guys all play like a well oiled machine is the hard part. Why?

Because, we get players every year that would like me to coach, like the last coach they just had. It's kind of funny when I hear this every year. And because players like their last coach and they way he teaches systems, sometimes it hard to get players to think about setting their egos aside and learn about new ways to play the game.

I guess that's what so great about this forum, I get a lot of coaching tips on the forum that helps my game. One's never to old to learn.

Head coach

Oh BTW, I played against a Ukrainian team that kicked the ever love'n sh** out of us. So after the game, I went to the coach and invited him out for dinner. Throught an interpreter, I asked him what his secret was. He said....

"The player sticks are cut to come just below the collar bone to force them to keep the deep knee bend!"

Today, five of the playes that kicked the, you know what out of us, now play in the NHL. One of those playes, if I am not mistaken, plays for the Islanders. His name is Zubrus!
It's not an opinion, it's a fact that I am arguing. A shorter stick will NOT force you into proper skating technique. Proper skating technique(ie practice, power skating classes, etc) will teach you proper skating technique. You're telling me that cutting your stick a couple of inches is going to get these guys to skate correctly? You're giving them incorrect information and you are HURTING their ability to get better. One power skating class is going to help your skating a whole lot more than taking a hacksaw to your stick.