HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mock Offseason

Old
01-03-2009, 07:01 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Mock Offseason

This was originally a post in the Giroux thread (I posted it in there) but after about 45minutes, I thought it might be worthy of its own thread. It is what I would liek to see happen this offseason

Here is what I would like to do...

CALL UPS
- James vanRiemsdyk makes teh etam out of camp, showing the critics that he is ready.

- Ryan Parent earns a job out of camp, along with Luca Sbisa, pushing Andrew Alberts to the 7th d-man. Andrew is traded by the trade deadline.

RESIGNINGS
Ossi Vannanen- 2 Years, 3.5 mil- 1.75 mil/per
Martin Biron- 2 Years 8.5 mil- 4.25 mil/per
Mike Knuble- 1 Year 1.5 mil- hometown discount
Scottie Upshall (RFA)- 3 Years 6mil
Totals 8.5 mil/per

TRADES
Joffrey Lupul, 3rd, 2010 2nd
for
Corey Schneider
>> This gives us a legit goalie prospect who is already in the NHL. He will take Nitty's job as he devlops to become the future #1. The Canucks trade him after Roberto Luongo signs a big extension.

Randy Jones
for
3rd Round Draft Pick
>> This is if he does not get traded before that. Randy is a solid d-man whose contract is seen as pretty good as the price for D continues to go up. The Flyers aquire a 3rd roudn pick and salary cap releif.

DRAFT

1.(25-30?) Taylor Doherty-D- 6'6", 220LB's
>> A strong defensive player, he has learned to use his size more effectively. Many people worry about the lack of physical play from our defense but Taylor should help to solve this problem. He is is the Chara mold and is still filling out his frame.

2. Zach Budish - C- 6'1", 229
>> A torn ACL will hold him out of hockey for around 4 months but eh has already committed to Minnseota. A late 1st round pick before, the ACL will allow him to slide into our laps.

LINEUP
Gagne(5.25)-Richards(5.75)-Knuble(1.5)
Giroux(.875)-Carter(5)-Hartnell(5.2)
Upshall(2)-Briere(6.5)-JvR(3.5)****
Cote(.55)-Metropolt(1)-Asham(.625)
Gratton
****= the maxium he could earn
TOTAL: 37.75mil

Timmonen(6.3)-Coburn(1.3)
Vannanen(1.75)-Carle(3.4)
Parent(1)-Sbisa(.875)
TOTAL: 14.625mil

Biron(4.25)
Schneider(.85)
TOTAL: 5.1 mil

TOTAL SALARY= 57.475 mil
Salary Cap- 56.7 mil
A few changes woudl have to be made, but remember, I accounted for the MAXIUM that JvR coudl make, including all rokkie bonuses. If needed, we would move someone else or not bring back Knuble

What do you think? I spent some time on this but I wanted to figure out how I would handle this offseason

Also, what would you do differently

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:10 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Pointing out a couple things, Alberts is a UFA after this season, he'll need to be re-signed. We also don't have a 2nd round pick next year. I also assume you are saying that Budish would be selected with our 2nd this year, but we don't have one. I think that's an overpayment for Schneider as well, I think Lupul straight up is fine. I'll just do the draft.

1. Olivier Roy-the long overdue drafting of our blue chip goaltending prospect. Out of Cape Breton in the Q, Olivier is a very talented young goalie out of the Quebec Goaltending Factory

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
rizface

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Pointing out a couple things, Alberts is a UFA after this season, he'll need to be re-signed. We also don't have a 2nd round pick next year. I also assume you are saying that Budish would be selected with our 2nd this year, but we don't have one. I think that's an overpayment for Schneider as well, I think Lupul straight up is fine. I'll just do the draft.

1. Olivier Roy-the long overdue drafting of our blue chip goaltending prospect. Out of Cape Breton in the Q, Olivier is a very talented young goalie out of the Quebec Goaltending Factory

I love the last name ...

Roy with the glove save...sounds beautiful

rizface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:19 PM
mm6492

Quote:

I messed up on the 2nd part

But I beleive that is fine payment for Schneider as he gives us a LEGIT goalie prospect who has shown that he can perform in teh NHL. He is teh type of goalie we need IMO

Old
01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
rizface

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I messed up on the 2nd part

But I beleive that is fine payment for Schneider as he gives us a LEGIT goalie prospect who has shown that he can perform in teh NHL. He is teh type of goalie we need IMO
I would give Van Lupul and 1st for Schneider (it's an overpay, I know), but I'm so desperate to see philly with a good goalie. makes them favorites of the east if they do get that good goalie. Defense is good, Offense is great....

that's it

edit- there is NO WAY vancouver takes only Lupul straight up for Schneider.( for Billy Shoes)

Old
01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
FlyerFire

I like it.I would like to keep Alberts around though somehow.Hes played pretty well lately and we know injuries hit at inopportune times for us. Randy Jones im ok with trading as well as Lupul even though I do think both have played well for us as well.

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:37 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizface View Post
I would give Van Lupul and 1st for Schneider (it's an overpay, I know), but I'm so desperate to see philly with a good goalie. makes them favorites of the east if they do get that good goalie. Defense is good, Offense is great....

that's it

edit- there is NO WAY vancouver takes only Lupul straight up for Schneider.( for Billy Shoes)
Joffrey lupul or JvR or both?????

Old
01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Van as in Vancouver

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
rizface

Quote:
I meant to say I would give Vancouver Lupul and 1st....

JVR is untouchable

Old
01-03-2009, 07:40 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
I like it.I would like to keep Alberts around though somehow.Hes played pretty well lately and we know injuries hit at inopportune times for us. Randy Jones im ok with trading as well as Lupul even though I do think both have played well for us as well.
I agree that all 3 have played well for us. But I am a beleiver of bringing up young, CHEAP talent when it is ready

Replacements
Alberts-Parent
Lupul- JvR
Jones- Sbisa

Also, I would be interested in bringing Alberts back. But I think that Parent is ready for a full time role and he has proven it. He might have had it this year iof not for ths shoulder injury

Parent is my favborite player, so that also should be taken into consideration

Old
01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
mm6492

Quote:
I meant to say I would give Vancouver Lupul and 1st....

JVR is untouchable

My fault, I am an idiot

Old
01-03-2009, 07:42 PM
rizface

Quote:
I agree that all 3 have played well for us. But I am a beleiver of bringing up young, CHEAP talent when it is ready

Replacements
Alberts-Parent
Lupul- JvR
Jones- Sbisa

Also, I would be interested in bringing Alberts back. But I think that Parent is ready for a full time role and he has proven it. He might have had it this year iof not for ths shoulder injury

Parent is my favborite player, so that also should be taken into consideration
I think Parent has a chance to be a real good D-man in the league and will never be too expensive to keep becaus he wont score so many points. I think next year a Parent-Carle combo would be nice.

Old
01-03-2009, 07:44 PM
mm6492

Quote:
I think Parent has a chance to be a real good D-man in the league and will never be too expensive to keep becaus he wont score so many points. I think next year a Parent-Carle combo would be nice.
I like Carle with Vannanen personally as the 2nd pairing, I beleive they compliment each other enarly perfectly

And I want to have Sbisa-parent as our 3rd, and have them almsot develop together. That would be a cheap and talented 3rd pairing.

Old
01-03-2009, 07:50 PM
rizface

Quote:
I like Carle with Vannanen personally as the 2nd pairing, I beleive they compliment each other enarly perfectly

And I want to have Sbisa-parent as our 3rd, and have them almsot develop together. That would be a cheap and talented 3rd pairing.

I don't think Parent-Sbisa will fly....basically 2 rookies on a defensive unit will create too many problems, if the flyers were rebuilding I agree with this, but they're gonna be competing for a cup in the next 5-6 years here.

Timonen-Vaananen
Coburn-Sbisa
Carle-Parent/7th D-man

Old
01-03-2009, 07:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Flyers won't draft Roy just because he is a goalie. If there is a guy who they like better and is not a goalie, they will take him. Actually they should do what I was hoping they'd do last year with our original pick and that is move down. I don't want a goalie just because he is from Quebec, and I don't want a goalie in the 1st round just because he is a goalie. That's not how good teams draft. Although, good drafting teams don't do what they did last year when they tried to cut corners and trade for Eminger in an utterly unnecessary trade.

Alberts probably will not be back. It will be a choice between he and Vaananen.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 08:12 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Flyers won't draft Roy just because he is a goalie. If there is a guy who they like better and is not a goalie, they will take him. Actually they should do what I was hoping they'd do last year with our original pick and that is move down. I don't want a goalie just because he is from Quebec, and I don't want a goalie in the 1st round just because he is a goalie. That's not how good teams draft. Although, good drafting teams don't do what they did last year when they tried to cut corners and trade for Eminger in an utterly unnecessary trade.

Alberts probably will not be back. It will be a choice between he and Vaananen.
I know it has been the theory of the franchise for awhile that they draft BPA, and I'm not saying draft Roy because he's from Quebec, or just the fact that he is a goalie. I think that he's a good goalie, who may not even reach our drafting position. I've seen him all over the place, going in the top 15 or not in the first round at all. He's 21-8 this season and his numbers might not look outstanding (2.96 GAA, .905 SV%) but in a league where it's all about offense, they aren't bad.

Old
01-03-2009, 08:21 PM
mm6492

Quote:
I don't think Parent-Sbisa will fly....basically 2 rookies on a defensive unit will create too many problems, if the flyers were rebuilding I agree with this, but they're gonna be competing for a cup in the next 5-6 years here.

Timonen-Vaananen
Coburn-Sbisa
Carle-Parent/7th D-man

I understand what you are saying..
But I do not like your pairings either. If I was to seperate them I would go

Timmonen- Coburn
Carle-Parent
Vannanen-Sbisa

Old
01-03-2009, 08:32 PM
rizface

Quote:
I understand what you are saying..
But I do not like your pairings either. If I was to seperate them I would go

Timmonen- Coburn
Carle-Parent
Vannanen-Sbisa
ya re-uniting coburn-timonen is a good idea actually.

I like this better than my original thought...

the bottom 4 is a good mix of offensive d-man/stay at home

this is a really good top 6 IMO....

imagine if they get a good goalie....

it's driving me nuts that the flyers could have gotten Jakob Markstrom , the young up-coming Swede goalie currently playing in the juniors tourney.

Old
01-03-2009, 08:47 PM
mm6492

Quote:
ya re-uniting coburn-timonen is a good idea actually.

I like this better than my original thought...

the bottom 4 is a good mix of offensive d-man/stay at home

this is a really good top 6 IMO....

imagine if they get a good goalie....

it's driving me nuts that the flyers could have gotten Jakob Markstrom , the young up-coming Swede goalie currently playing in the juniors tourney.
Yea, many peiopel around here wish we had grabbed him but we do not have a time machine

Old
01-03-2009, 09:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I know it has been the theory of the franchise for awhile that they draft BPA, and I'm not saying draft Roy because he's from Quebec, or just the fact that he is a goalie. I think that he's a good goalie, who may not even reach our drafting position. I've seen him all over the place, going in the top 15 or not in the first round at all. He's 21-8 this season and his numbers might not look outstanding (2.96 GAA, .905 SV%) but in a league where it's all about offense, they aren't bad.
Yeah, that's the other thing. Over the past few years, goalies were kind of down on the draft board during the season, and steadily rose. You look at Pickard and Riku Helenius the last two years and they were both guys who in January were not considered 1st round picks, or at least first round locks. I think they were both taken 15th in the draft, so the top goalie prospect, typically goes higher than the Flyers tend to draft. Roy is the only one I've really heard about thus far, but I typically don't really start doing much research on the draft until after the WJC's.

Quote:
Yea, many peiopel around here wish we had grabbed him but we do not have a time machine
I was in favor of grabbing him, only if the Flyers were able to produce an extra pick. If we nabbed him, there wouldn't be any 'what to we do about goaltending down the line' because everyone would be perfectly content with what's going on, we would have a better prospect pool with just that alone, and our draft and trade options would be wide open. For instance, trading a 1st round pick this season to improve the team, or if we wanted to trade for someone like Bouwmeester [this season] or some other trade for a defenseman and the other team wanted a 1st instead of a prospect or a 2nd or 3rd we wouldn't have much a problem with it for them to take some salary.

One example of this [and I'm not saying this is the only example or would have or even should have happened] would have been when we traded with the Kings last year to get them to take Gauthier. With some creativity, we could have ended up with Lubomir Visnovsky. Visnovsky is right now on a 5-year contract, at a very good $5.6 number when you look around the league. We don't have to dump more picks next year just to get them to take him. Then we may not be going out of our way to trade for Matt Carle, and we perhaps still have Steve Downie as a trading chip, or it gives him the time to become a better fine-tuned player. Going into camp you have a top 4 of Timonen, Visnovsky, Coburn and Vaananen. You allow the bottom of the depth chart to work itself out. I'm not saying this would have happened, we could have played this game all night, but it was certainly an option, and one that was no longer available.

I'm not a '1st round pick is gold guy' (although it makes researching the draft more fun, although being a Kings fan too...it's not a major issue). Every time I see the name 'Jacob Markstrom' it makes me want to destroy something beautiful.

Old
01-03-2009, 09:41 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

We could also look at Joni Oritio in the 2nd round if we could trade for a 2nd round pick, using one or both of our 3rd rounders.

Old
01-03-2009, 10:11 PM
ELab2

Sounds pretty good to me.

And if Vancouver resigns Luongo Schneider isn't going to have a whole lot of value at all. If that's the case Lupul will probably end up being an overpayment even if he's being moved partly for cap reasons

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 10:34 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Sounds pretty good to me.

And if Vancouver resigns Luongo Schneider isn't going to have a whole lot of value at all. If that's the case Lupul will probably end up being an overpayment even if he's being moved partly for cap reasons
Well it is kind of double at that point.
1. We need to clear cap
2. We need a top goalie prospect

They realize our side and give him for Lupul.

It all hinges on Luongo

Old
01-03-2009, 10:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

With the Canucks trading for Labarbera, they're now finding reasons to keep Schneider out of the lineup. If he was so great, he would be getting some more playing time.

Old
01-03-2009, 10:44 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
With the Canucks trading for Labarbera, they're now finding reasons to keep Schneider out of the lineup. If he was so great, he would be getting some more playing time.
He is still young and I beleive tehy want to bring him along slowly. Just ebcause he is not ready does not mean taht he is not great

And he looked pretty damm good against us