HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Does Gainey have access to all NHL player salaries?

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2004, 03:12 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Does Gainey have access to all NHL player salaries?

I know you can find out how much they are paid, but as for the length of contract, sometimes that is kept secret. Do you think Gainey has access to every contract in the league and how?

Old
07-29-2004, 03:19 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I know you can find out how much they are paid, but as for the length of contract, sometimes that is kept secret. Do you think Gainey has access to every contract in the league and how?
I would have a hard time imagining any GM being able to accurately and effectively adjust their team using trades, free agent signings or waiver pickups, without having access to vital, albeit confidential, contract information.

Imagine shopping for a car without knowing how much you are going to pay per month, the warranty and how long you will be paying it for. It's just not good business.

The NHL probably has some system in place where authorized individuals may request information about other teams players and so forth. Management staff for all teams are probably bound by a pretty air tight NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) preventing them from sharing such information with the public.

Old
07-29-2004, 03:22 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABDUCTOR
I would have a hard time imagining any GM being able to accurately and effectively adjust their team using trades, free agent signings or waiver pickups, without having access to vital, albeit confidential, contract information.

Imagine shopping for a car without knowing how much you are going to pay per month, the warranty and how long you will be paying it for. It's just not good business.

The NHL probably has some system in place where authorized individuals may request information about other teams players and so forth. Management staff for all teams are probably bound by a pretty air tight NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) preventing them from sharing such information with the public.
But the contract that is signed is a Standard Player's Contract. Where would the non-disclosure stop? Maybe all teams are bound to not disclose any player's contract throughout the league unless given permission?

I'm thinking along these lines because maybe Gainey has been planning for Bonk since last year and probably has a chart of who is going to be available in upcoming years so he can match to his overall plan.

If I were GM, I certainly would do that and I would throroughly map out each route with all logistics.

Old
07-29-2004, 03:33 PM
habfan4

It's my understanding that all contracts have to filed with and approved by the league. After a deal is approved copies are given to the League and the NHLPA. I'm sure the league is allowed to share that information with it's member teams.

Old
07-29-2004, 03:34 PM
ControlFreak

Quote:
But the contract that is signed is a Standard Player's Contract. Where would the non-disclosure stop? Maybe all teams are bound to not disclose any player's contract throughout the league unless given permission?

I'm thinking along these lines because maybe Gainey has been planning for Bonk since last year and probably has a chart of who is going to be available in upcoming years so he can match to his overall plan.

If I were GM, I certainly would do that and I would throroughly map out each route with all logistics.

I totally see where you are coming from. However, I think that the Radek Bonk move was a relatively quick move. In that I mean that it wasn't totally official that Juneau was going to retire at the end of the season, thereby making the third line center spot available.

Life is too filled with intangibles and variables for someone to have a master plan. The best you can do is set fixed goals and objectives and adjust your decisions and choices along the way to get there. The same is true about Hockey. GMs certainly have preferences in the types of players they want, but will seldom plot and scheme for months on end to get that "specific" missing piece of the puzzle.

The mark of a good general manager is one that knows how to make those quick adjustments on the fly that will benefit his team.

All that being said, I still say that the NHL NDA covers a player contract.
NHL contracts are always submitted to the league for approval. Once approved they are authorized and filed. Access to those files is regulated and supervised. Devulging personal information or other sensitive information in those contracts by any NHL employee or member entity would constitute a breach.

Old
07-29-2004, 03:53 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABDUCTOR
I totally see where you are coming from. However, I think that the Radek Bonk move was a relatively quick move. In that I mean that it wasn't totally official that Juneau was going to retire at the end of the season, thereby making the third line center spot available.

Life is too filled with intangibles and variables for someone to have a master plan. The best you can do is set fixed goals and objectives and adjust your decisions and choices along the way to get there. The same is true about Hockey. GMs certainly have preferences in the types of players they want, but will seldom plot and scheme for months on end to get that "specific" missing piece of the puzzle.

The mark of a good general manager is one that knows how to make those quick adjustments on the fly that will benefit his team.

All that being said, I still say that the NHL NDA covers a player contract.
NHL contracts are always submitted to the league for approval. Once approved they are authorized and filed. Access to those files is regulated and supervised. Devulging personal information or other sensitive information in those contracts by any NHL employee or member entity would constitute a breach.
I wonder if this is in the CBA?

Old
07-29-2004, 04:27 PM
ControlFreak

Quote:
I wonder if this is in the CBA?
Has to be. It would be relatively impossible to conduct business otherwise. The league has always approved deals and will continue to do so. Making that information available to other teams makes teams accountable to eachother in terms of what money they are spending on their players.

Old
07-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Every GM in the league has access to every player contract. The NHLPA and by extension the players do as well. It not only provides complete salary information, but complete statistical information as well. This was required in the CBA for arbitration hearings and to determine the average league salary.

Old
07-29-2004, 05:53 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Every GM in the league has access to every player contract. The NHLPA and by extension the players do as well. It not only provides complete salary information, but complete statistical information as well. This was required in the CBA for arbitration hearings and to determine the average league salary.
So, there is no question that all the teams use that to see what the free agent market will look like in future years.

Old
07-29-2004, 06:12 PM
RE-HABS

Contract length isn't kept secret, the league has to know when a player will be a RFA or a UFA. Salaries are kept hush hush by some teams, but they are revieled to the public by the league at some point.

Nothing is secret.

Old
07-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
I would certainly hope so! But with some of his moves it does leave a fellow wondering doesn't it?

Old
07-30-2004, 02:40 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
I would certainly hope so! But with some of his moves it does leave a fellow wondering doesn't it?
What do you mean?

Closed Thread