HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Top 20

Old
01-04-2009, 11:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Top 20

The article is up on my site if anyone wants to read the write ups. The Subban/McDonagh thing is interesting, as they are opposites but both imo are very interesting when you consider that they are still very young and in the early stages of their development, so I'm sure the Habs are happy to have both and can't wait to see what they will be doing in the NHL down the road.

Here's the list, feel free to fire away I'm used to it and some comments I keep in mind when working on these type of articles. Oh and I've seen every prospect play in game action except Trunev who I have only seen in a small handful of clips.

Top 20

1. Max Pacioretty ('07)
2. PK Subban ('07)
3. Ryan McDonagh ('07)
4. Kyle Chipchura ('04)
5. Yannick Weber ('07)
6. Matt D’Agostini ('05)
7. Ben Maxwell ('06)
8. Danny Kristo ('08)
9. David Fischer ('06)
10. Ryan White ('06)
11. Mathieu Carle ('06)
12. Steve Quailer ('08)
13. Maxim Trunev ('08)
14. Nichlas Torp ('07)
15. Greg Stewart ('04)
16. Joe Stejskal ('07)
17. Alexei Emelin ('04)
18. Pavel Valentenko ('05)
19. Andrew Conboy ('07)
20. Philippe Paquet ('05)

HM David Desharnais (N/A), Brock Trotter (N/A), J T Wyman ('04)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
HabsDood

Next year could be so filled with youth..

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:48 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

LOL at those who were insulting and rude to those that had suggested Subban has surpassed McDonagh...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:01 PM
kostitsyn1489

I would still have Fischer #5, I'm prolly the only one, but anyway. I'm thrilled about this guy he'll be huge for us.

Also I would have Conboy a bit higher too even tho there are some really good players ahead of him. I really like what he could bring to our team. From what i saw at the dev camp he's more then just an enforcer.

That said it's pretty good overall

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
LOL at those who were insulting and rude to those that had suggested Subban has surpassed McDonagh...
I hope this doesn't go down that road, what I like is that 4 of 5 of our top prospects were picked in '07, as that draft class while still in the early stages of development is looking very impressive for the Habs/Timmins and his staff.

I know it's been said before, but I hope Gainey and Timmins can work something out long term so he stays, but I can understand if he wants to be GM, it would be interesting if perhaps they would consider moving him up to assistant GM at some point as maybe Gauither will want to move to another position down the road. (yea totally guessing) just want to see Timmins stay around, look at the sens with losing Jarmo, Timmins and Andre Savard, 3 guys that seem to have an eye for talent.

Granted there's holes and a lack of top end talent but with the number of drafted prospects appearing in games for the Habs over the last 3+ seasons, and the impact many of them have had on the team, you got to be happy with the job the scouting staff has done. Of course there's always going to be if they had picked so and so over so and so we'd be in even better shape and it's true, you can't win em all and the team is doing well at the draft and in their development system.

Hopefully the recent struggles of some of the younger players is more of an abberation perhaps due to all the buzz/pressure of the 100 year fest. Hopefully guys like Kostitsyn's, Pleks, O'Byrne can get back on track and move forward.

Old
01-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Bretvincent

Subban really shot up the ranks. Is it mostly because of his Wjr championship performance? Also, I noticed our two russians defenseman in Emelin and Valentenko haven fallen. I assume that's because of contract problems?

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:08 PM
le_sean

I think Fischer should be higher, he's finally coming into his own this year.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
I would still have Fischer #5, I'm prolly the only one, but anyway. I'm thrilled about this guy he'll be huge for us.

Also I would have Conboy a bit higher too even tho there are some really good players ahead of him. I really like what he could bring to our team. From what i saw at the dev camp he's more then just an enforcer.

That said it's pretty good overall
What's funny, at least to me is that with Fischer, it's Subban/McDonagh all over, now it's Fischer/Weber. Since they imo are our top 4 D prospects. I looked at Subban and McDonagh and while it's very hard to compare an offensive D to a defensive D, I felt that since Subban is better at his best asset(offense), over McDonagh's best asset(def), with McDonagh's weaker assset of offense is better then Subban's weaker asset of defense. So I felt it was very close between the two so I put Subban higher because I think he has higher upside.

But to me it's the same thing with Fischer/Weber. Weber imo is better at his best asset (offense) then Fischer's best asset (def). I actually thought it was even closer with their worst asset, as Fischer's offense has improved each year and Weber's defense still needs some work.

Not that I based it solely off that, but it was just something I thought of while preping the article.

As for Conboy I've seen him twice at Michigan St and once in the USHL, hasn't really impressed me with his play other then some big hits. He's huge though and moves well enough for a big guy.

Old
01-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Lone Rogue

Weber is starting to get a tad overrated in the Hab circles...

I'm not surprised with Subban suddenly getting shot up, but I'm not sure if its so deserved. It really doesn't matter, at least his talent is being recognized.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretvincent View Post
Subban really shot up the ranks. Is it mostly because of his Wjr championship performance? Also, I noticed our two russians defenseman in Emelin and Valentenko haven fallen. I assume that's because of contract problems?
I had Subban #3 at the start of the season, so he hasn't really shot up this year but his WJC performance sure didn't hurt him. Emelin had an impressive WJC's too so I don't try and go overboard over any short tournament but I felt he's been great all year in the little I've seen at least. Next year I'll see him a lot more so we'll see how he makes the jump to the pros.

http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rder=0&thold=0

Emelin hasn't looked all that good to me in the games I've seen this year, and Valentenko who had the biggest drop in the rankings, may have been over doing it on my part as it appears to me to be a big mistake that could cost him down the road.

Old
01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Pascal

Kristo above Fischer seems weird to me. I'll admit i haven't seen them both play very often, but isn't Kristo's size going to be a huge question mark for him in the NHL? He seems more like a project to me. Fischer had an iffy year last yr but this season he seems to have picked it up nicely. Once he fills up he'll have an NHL body with a wide array of tools to go with them. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

I'm also surprised to see Emelin so low.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I think Fischer should be higher, he's finally coming into his own this year.
I can't say I agree and I'm willing to bet I see him play more then most since I get almost all his games on tv. Granted he's improved by a wide margin and is having his best season by a good bit, but the concern for me is that we are loaded with RD's and while he's very solid in his own end, his offensive game still isn't really there, he's not physical, so he's going to have some tough competition imo.

Still think he's a solid prospect for us, but I really like this prospect pool, lots of interesting players.

Old
01-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Rgolt

even tho hes in russia emelin should be ranked higher....well atleast according to pierre mcguire

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:26 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Weber is starting to get a tad overrated in the Hab circles...

I'm not surprised with Subban suddenly getting shot up, but I'm not sure if its so deserved. It really doesn't matter, at least his talent is being recognized.
Maybe, but I've been very impressed with Weber in his rookie year, his shot is just sick and while I'd like to see him get stronger and a little quicker, his D seems ok and I've seen him mix it up phyiscally here and there. I wasn't as high on him last year, I liked Subban much more cause of him being at a high level and still having another year in the OHL to work on things and improve. I put more stock into how these guys do at the AHL level especially in their rookie year, and I've just been really impressed with Weber. Time will tell what he can do and I'm going much more off of upside since he's still in the early stages of his development and it could still go either way for him, but he's got a lot of interesting qualities.

Old
01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I put more stock into how these guys do at the AHL level especially in their rookie year, and I've just been really impressed with Weber. Time will tell what he can do and I'm going much more off of upside since he's still in the early stages of his development and it could still go either way for him, but he's got a lot of interesting qualities.
Would I have Weber in my Top 10? Absolutely.

Top 5? Not so sure.

I personally would have had D'Agostini at 5th, Fischer at 6th, and then make the argument for Weber at 7th.

Like I said, just a *tad* overrated in my books. I just see more value in D'Agostini and Fischer at the moment. You may end up being right at the end, no sweat off my brow

I haven't really seen any of Torp or Stejskal. What is there potential? Are they improving, etc.? If they are, then wow, 2007 was a monster year for us in drafting.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Kristo above Fischer seems weird to me. I'll admit i haven't seen them both play very often, but isn't Kristo's size going to be a huge question mark for him in the NHL? He seems more like a project to me. Fischer had an iffy year last yr but this season he seems to have picked it up nicely. Once he fills up he'll have an NHL body with a wide array of tools to go with them. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

I'm also surprised to see Emelin so low.
Well I admit a little basis here, I had heard about how high Timmins was on Kristo so I am certainly not going to bet against him, and while his frame is a concern, he's still in high school, so he'll have 2-3 years in the NCAA to try and add some mass and strength to his frame before spending time in the AHL. So yea he's a project but as our 2nd youngest prospect, he's already an got an impressive resume that includes wearing the C for the U-18 team, likely 2 appearances for the U-20 club, all before going to one of the top programs in the NCAA.

Fischer has picked it up nicely, but I think Kristo has higher upside since he's done more at a younger age, he was a standout player in the USHS during his freshman year which got him the invite to the USNDTP, and while Fischer was invited to tryout for the same team, he opted not to tryout since they wanted him to tryout as a forward.

I like what I've seen from Kristo and it's still really early for him, Fischer has struggled to really standout in the NCAA, and while he has shown a good deal of improvement year over year, he still isn't a standout player despite being an upperclassmen. Fischer has filled out a bit but he needs to get a lot stronger and learn how to use said size as he does have a tall frame he needs to add more mass and strength imo.

Old
01-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Pascal

Fair assessment, thanks. I was curious to know the reasoning behind it since like I said I haven't seen them play much myself.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:47 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I can't say I agree and I'm willing to bet I see him play more then most since I get almost all his games on tv. Granted he's improved by a wide margin and is having his best season by a good bit, but the concern for me is that we are loaded with RD's and while he's very solid in his own end, his offensive game still isn't really there, he's not physical, so he's going to have some tough competition imo.

Still think he's a solid prospect for us, but I really like this prospect pool, lots of interesting players.
Yeah, I was just basing it off his stats, you're actually watching him. But it seems he has really improved, at least on the stat sheet.

How's his hockey sense? Because I never really expected him to be an offensive dman, but moreso a very mobile one that can move the puck up the ice and be reliable in his own end.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Would I have Weber in my Top 10? Absolutely.

Top 5? Not so sure.

I personally would have had D'Agostini at 5th, Fischer at 6th, and then make the argument for Weber at 7th.

Like I said, just a *tad* overrated in my books. I just see more value in D'Agostini and Fischer at the moment. You may end up being right at the end, no sweat off my brow

I haven't really seen any of Torp or Stejskal. What is there potential? Are they improving, etc.? If they are, then wow, 2007 was a monster year for us in drafting.

Well D'Agostini is someone I've liked since I saw him in the OHL, especially in that playoff round again S.Kostitsyn where both were great. But I've seen him be a streaky player and while the debut he's had has been great, and I think he's one of our top prospects, I thought I'd keep him a little lower until I see more of what he can do, so I may be underrating him but I felt more comfortable with him 6th as guys that are first year pros are really impressing me.

Torp I have only seen in the wjc's, I liked what I saw though, and the fact that he's getting regular action in the SEL at 19 on defense, is a promising sign. I am concerned about his size and playing such a physical brand of hockey but he looks like a pit bull out there. Stejskal I saw a bunch last year, but so far I haven't seen him this year. I've talked with some Dartmouth fans and they seem really happy with his play, plus he's on the top unit, top PP and top PK units since he was a freshman so he's getting a great deal of ice time which I hope benefits him down the road. He's got to add some weight to his frame too, as he's tall but skinny and while Torp looks like a pit bull, Stejskal at times looks like a caged animal let lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yeah, I was just basing it off his stats, you're actually watching him. But it seems he has really improved, at least on the stat sheet.

How's his hockey sense? Because I never really expected him to be an offensive dman, but moreso a very mobile one that can move the puck up the ice and be reliable in his own end.
Yes he has really improved but he still has a ways to go imo. His hockey sense is good moreso in his own end, he knows where to be positionally most of the time and is good at blocking lanes. He is very moblie and moving the puck is one of his best assets, he does get into a little trouble when in his own end and pressured, but overall his defensive zone play is very good. I think he stands a very good chance of being a solid NHLer so I can see why others would have him higher. So far for me, he's got to do a good bit more, which imo he should be doing since he is an upperclassmen.

Old
01-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

What happened to Carle? Two years ago he was one of the last cuts at training camp before he hurt his knee.

I saw that you didn't mention him in our top 4 D prospects

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Fischer higher. I expect Kristo will shoot up sooner or later too.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
The article is up on my site if anyone wants to read the write ups. The Subban/McDonagh thing is interesting, as they are opposites but both imo are very interesting when you consider that they are still very young and in the early stages of their development, so I'm sure the Habs are happy to have both and can't wait to see what they will be doing in the NHL down the road.

Here's the list, feel free to fire away I'm used to it and some comments I keep in mind when working on these type of articles. Oh and I've seen every prospect play in game action except Trunev who I have only seen in a small handful of clips.

Top 20

1. Max Pacioretty ('07)
2. PK Subban ('07)
3. Ryan McDonagh ('07)
4. Kyle Chipchura ('04)
5. Yannick Weber ('07)
6. Matt D’Agostini ('05)
7. Ben Maxwell ('06)
8. Danny Kristo ('08)
9. David Fischer ('06)
10. Ryan White ('06)
11. Mathieu Carle ('06)
12. Steve Quailer ('08)
13. Maxim Trunev ('08)
14. Nichlas Torp ('07)
15. Greg Stewart ('04)
16. Joe Stejskal ('07)
17. Alexei Emelin ('04)
18. Pavel Valentenko ('05)
19. Andrew Conboy ('07)
20. Philippe Paquet ('05)

HM David Desharnais (N/A), Brock Trotter (N/A), J T Wyman ('04)
Great list as usual montreal, we're lucky to have a guy like you around here.

Happy to see Torp at 14, I missed his games, can't wait for tomorrow to see him in action. Also happy to see Stewart at 15, getting some recognition, I still think he might be a better NHLer than AHLer...

Conboy at 19 and Paquet at 20 is also great to see IMO, even if they're at the bottom of the chart... I've always been intrigued by Paquet, and hopefully he goes to Cincinnati/Hamilton at the end of this season.

But, concerning Chipchura, is he 4th because of his NHL readiness or for his projected potential, or the 2 combined ? Seems a bit high...

A last question, about Quailer, is he a PF prospect, or just a big playmaker ?

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I like the top 10. Personally think Fischer can be higher and Weber can be lower.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Erika

Kyle Chipchura at number 4 ?!

Wow... just WOw....

Maxwell, Weber, D'Agostini, White, Fischer, Kristo >> Kyle Chipchura

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
GNick42

Whatever happened to Korneev...you were red hot on him after last spring's World Championships?

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote