HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why isn't Nitty playing more games than Biron yet?

Old
01-04-2009, 12:26 AM
BlackTuuk

vCash: 500
Why isn't Nitty playing more games than Biron yet?

I know Marty took us to the conference finals, but Nitty is really having the better year. I mean, Nitty is going to be around for a bit more time, right? Kid is 28.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:28 AM
BerubeBox*

You answered your own question. Marty is better for the playoffs. The goalie you're going to use for the playoffs needs a full year of NHL conditioning.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Nitty is the backup, plays against weaker competition, and has proven over and over and over that he is merely a great backup and below average starter.

Your god and saviour, by the way, just looked putrid in the shootout. Everyone's favourite whipping boy stole the shootout yesterday...

Marty is 31, by the way. We're not talking about light years in age difference. Both goalies are what they are at this point.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:35 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Nitty is the backup, plays against weaker competition, and has proven over and over and over that he is merely a great backup and below average starter.

Your god and saviour, by the way, just looked putrid in the shootout. Everyone's favourite whipping boy stole the shootout yesterday...

Marty is 31, by the way. We're not talking about light years in age difference. Both goalies are what they are at this point.
No offense but Ryan's and Getzlaf's saves yesterday werent hard at all. Personally I think both are pretty much equal. They both go hot at certain times, and it seems that they constantly switch off being good.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:40 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
No offense but Ryan's and Getzlaf's saves yesterday werent hard at all. Personally I think both are pretty much equal. They both go hot at certain times, and it seems that they constantly switch off being good.
You're really advocating Nitty for the playoffs?

Really?

Old
01-04-2009, 12:43 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
You're really advocating Nitty for the playoffs?

Really?
???

I didnt say anything about playoffs... Plus we have no idea how Nitty would play in the playoffs do we? I dont prefer either of them so Im not really in this conversation.

Old
01-04-2009, 12:45 AM
BlackTuuk

I don't know why people are so terrified of Nitty in the playoffs.
As of right now, Biron requires a goal-support of 4 in order to secure a win on an average night: That is a a lot. Luckily, the team has firepower, but that has to be a troubling stat.

If he isn't resigned, I have this feeling he is going to make us regret it. While the Sharpie regret is a different kind of regret, I hate to see players we have slip away in any fashion.

Old
01-04-2009, 12:53 AM
BerubeBox*

I'm terrified of Nitty in the playoffs because Nitty is inconsistent. He can get on a roll during say the olympics, but NHL playoffs are a lot longer.

Even Esche was better in the playoffs than nitty could be, and that's sad.

That's why the team is paying Marty this much.

Old
01-04-2009, 01:10 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
I'm terrified of Nitty in the playoffs because Nitty is inconsistent. He can get on a roll during say the olympics, but NHL playoffs are a lot longer.

Even Esche was better in the playoffs than nitty could be, and that's sad.

That's why the team is paying Marty this much.
Biron = inconsistent also. Nitty has only played 2 playoff games. Im pretty sure Biron played in his first playoff games last season. That being said, I guess if you want to compare their ahl playoff experiences, its:

Biron:
1 season 12 wins 8 losses 2.16 GAA

Nitty:
2 seasons: 21 wins 11 losses 1.78 GAA ( he was 1.81 one season and 1.76 the other)

Also to us paying Marty that much. We signed Marty before we made the playoffs. I guess if your talking about nhl experience, then yes I guess your right on that part. Biron's record of 170 wins, 143 losses is better then Nitty's 47 wins, 53 losses.

Old
01-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Terence Peterman

really? this conversation again?

i hope all you people blowing nitty right now don't jump **** and transition to slobbing marty's knob come playoff time.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:37 AM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
really? this conversation again?

i hope all you people blowing nitty right now don't jump **** and transition to slobbing marty's knob come playoff time.
Go easy. No one is praising Nitty endlessly here. Just stating some mid-season truths, really (mid-season is basically upon us).

Why should Nitty, if he performs better than Biron, sit on the bench like a bump on a log?

Right now, I'd like to see more of Nitty. I think goalie's should be rewarded more than placed in a game based on opposing team win history. Or at least more flexibility in such a call system. But yeah, obviously Nitty should get Atlanta, every time.

Old
01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Mr Oysterhead

I think Nitty gives up too many rebounds to be successful when the chips are down in the playoffs on a regular basis. He gets a way with a lot of during the season but rebounds in the playoffs will find a way into the net.

I like the tandem we have going right now. If Nitty can continue to play this well as a #2 and Biron can gain consistency then I think we are fine in net. Nitty will play enough to keep Biron fresh but focused and ready for the postseason.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
Go easy. No one is praising Nitty endlessly here. Just stating some mid-season truths, really (mid-season is basically upon us).

Why should Nitty, if he performs better than Biron, sit on the bench like a bump on a log?

Right now, I'd like to see more of Nitty. I think goalie's should be rewarded more than placed in a game based on opposing team win history. Or at least more flexibility in such a call system. But yeah, obviously Nitty should get Atlanta, every time.
there may not be people directly praising nitty, but there certainly is a group of people who strongly prefer him over biron at this point. my statement, while seemingly harsh, is just cutting to the point. this thread's just gonna turn into a "who's done more for me lately (while blowing things out of proportion and conveniently ignoring others)" and biron bash fest. that's what all the goalie threads do.

nitty's not getting the starts because he simply isn't cut out to handle it. there's absolutely no reason to ignore his history in the NHL when given such opportunities. he's not a starter. he plays so well in the games he gets because of the role he's clearly settled into, whether he, or anyone else for that matter, wants to acknowledge it as that or as still fighting for a starter's job (be it here or somewhere else).

biron was brought here to be the number one. he is the number one. he plays better overall. he's played better since his rough, off and on start at the beginning of the year. he's even stood on his head a couple times since. i'm riding him until he dies, not until the next time he gets a cold.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:23 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I think they both suck and both should only be backups.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:

Not this season. I actually think Nitty took some big steps forward this season. Still a back up but a very good one.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Niittymaki has played 7 of the last 10 games. Not sure what the complaining is about.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:22 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

were in 1st place, and it was done by having the team infront of the goalie actually playing like a hockey team.

does anyone remember the lackluster performance by the blue line that sent most forum posters into panic mode?

putting all games on an even keel over an 82 game season marty would edge out nitty 44.2 wins over nitty's 38.4

id like to take into factor marty played a lot of those games that sub par playing and soft goal allowing happened. you could deduce that the soft goals wouldnt have gone in if there was a strong backcheck.

the simplest formula is the one that is used by every team.

go with who's hot.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
mm6492

Nittys rebound control will kill him throughout his career. He can not have continued and consistent sucess leaving te puck on the doorstep, just sitting there

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Niittymaki has played 7 of the last 10 games. Not sure what the complaining is about.
Yeah, but only by default because of Biron's illness.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:36 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I think they both suck and both should only be backups.
Glad others think the same as me.

EDIT: I beleive in this cause I dont see us winning the Cup by throwing the hot goalie in. Thats what I think

Old
01-04-2009, 11:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Yeah, but only by default because of Biron's illness.
He's still been playing. What did people expect to happen earlier in the season?

Quote:
EDIT: I beleive in this cause I dont see us winning the Cup by throwing the hot goalie in. Thats what I think
That's interesting, because most of the time, that's basically how you get that far. Either one of your goalies gets hot, or the one who doesn't lose it for you.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Mota

Nitty was the man in the 05/06 season...when there was the whole esche/nitty controversy. The next season he pretty much gained the starter job...but ended being injured most of the year and playing through it...not to mention he had the worst team in franchise history in front of him. Because of those two factors...he didnt exactly have the best season number wise...and because as we all know...when the teams doing bad its the goalies fault...so they went out and got biron.

Nitty hasnt been given a chance to reprove himself as a starter since he got his hip surgery last offseason...but i think in his back up role hes shown signs of what hes capable of. I think for this year biron is the number 1 guy...and needs to be unless his game really falls off...but nittys hardly a wash and i think still has potential for being a top guy.

This team is an offensively built team...thats what gonna get them far in the playoffs...offense not goaltending. Both of our goalies are good enough to keep the team in the game so the offense can win it for us.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:07 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

both goalies have serious flaws; Nitty's big rebounds, and Marty's puck handling/and not being able to stop the wrap around

RoDu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He's still been playing. What did people expect to happen earlier in the season?

That's interesting, because most of the time, that's basically how you get that far. Either one of your goalies gets hot, or the one who doesn't lose it for you.
Do you really think we will win with Biron getting hot for a set of games then cooling off for another set?

Old
01-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Mota

Quote:
Do you really think we will win with Biron getting hot for a set of games then cooling off for another set?
With our offense? Yes.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote