HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Flames @ Preds, Game 38

View Poll Results: Who was the Flames' MVP tonite?
Daymond Langkow 2 11.11%
Todd Bertuzzi 12 66.67%
Miikka Kiprusoff 4 22.22%
Adam Pardy 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2009, 04:26 PM
  #1
Snoil11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,336
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
PGT: Flames @ Preds, Game 38

Fire away!!!

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
  #2
The Gaud Father
Registered User
 
The Gaud Father's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,266
vCash: 50
Either Bert's brilliant plays in the 2 points he had, Kipper's magic in keeping us in or Langkow's monster defensive plays.

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:30 PM
  #3
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,842
vCash: 500
Nice to get the win. Our PP sucked but the team found a way to win the game and leave with the 2 points. I love it.

MVP to Todd Bertuzzi.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:33 PM
  #4
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,699
vCash: 50
Sorry SR, didn't see your thread, my bad.

MVP goes to Big Bert

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:39 PM
  #5
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Went with Kipper as he kept the team in it when for the most part when they were busy under achieving. Kudos for the Bert, Langkow and Borque line... great way to bring in teh dirty road win! Love the 2 points, 4 over Vancouver with 2 games in hand and only 5 behind Detroit!

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:40 PM
  #6
Lanny'sDaMan
Registered User
 
Lanny'sDaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,729
vCash: 1075
Third Period
Yet again a half and half period. The Flames couldn’t get anything going for half the frame, then they tied the game up and completely took control. They started hitting again, and skating hard. The passing again was lack lustre, and there simply was no urgency or intensity from the Flames. When they did start it up finally they showed they can own the game almost at will.
The power play again left everything to be desired. No energy, no skating, piss poor passing and never getting set up. It certainly didn’t help when Bourque took a crap hooking penalty to negate the only man advantage the Flames had in the third. The penalty kill was again a shining beacon. They simply get it done. Blocking shots, getting the puck out by any means, and sacrificing the body for the team. Yes I speak of Lombardi mostly there with his brilliant no stick defense and then using his hand to shovel it out, and being smart enough to not close his hand on it.

Overall Impressions
I understand the Flames hate playing afternoon games, and I too am not a fan of them. But the time of the game should never matter and the players should show up for the game as if it were the seventh game overtime Stanley Cup Final. Today’s game was just not up to par for the Flames. They got the win and I suppose that’s the most important thing, but had the Flames actually showed up for this game the score would have been a much more appropriate 6-2 or 7-3.
This was easily Todd’s best game of the season. He worked hard all game and did everything in his power to help out when he was on the ice. Nystrom also deserves a huge series of Kudos. His play was at a whole other level. He was the Pk this afternoon and I for one am very pleased with his progress this season.

Three Stars By Me
1. Todd Bertuzzi
2. Daymond Langkow
3. Eric Nystrom

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 05:28 PM
  #7
flamesfan12
Registered User
 
flamesfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Beaumont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Points in 10 straight game now. (7-0-3). Next two games are going to be huge.

Nice to see Bertuzzi get that goal. What a shot. Also made a great play on Langkow's goal by taking the body and stealing the puck then making the great pass.

PP continues to be a weak link for the team. Just embarrasing to watch it today. Atleast the PK continues to get the job done. Huge kudos to Boyd, Nystrom, Lombardi, Conroy, Bourque. Just a fantastic job all game long.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 07:46 PM
  #8
Pomeranian
Registered User
 
Pomeranian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
I went with Todd because he set up a goal, then scored the next one. But, I thought another big story of the night was Conroys 500 career points. Congrats to him!!!

Pomeranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:00 AM
  #9
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
The team was lucky to win this game. The Predators hit two goalposts and one crossbar; otherwise, this game easily could have been 5-2 or 5-3 Nashville.

The team played a very good first 20 minutes but then were extremely flat for the next 30 to 35 minutes. They seemed totally disinterested and in desperate need for a mid-afternoon nap. Iginla, Phaneuf, and Aucoin, in particular, were sleepwalking most of the game. Fortunately, the rest of the team woke up just in time from their slumber.

Glencross was quite good today. He's finding his legs. Bertuzzi were all right for most of the game but he was terrific in the last 10 minutes and that was enough to make him the difference maker. I would like to see Bertuzzi use his size more consistently, like how he separated the Predators defenceman to force the turnover and set up Langkow for the game-tying goal.

Speaking of Langkow, he was really good today. He does a lot of the little things that go unnoticed buta are necessary to win games.

One final comment - I hope Keenan shows the team the replay of Nashville's 2nd goal. On the play, Moss got the puck on the RW boards and is alone against three Predators. His teammates, meanwhile, are changing, and remember this is the long change. Moss had two options - dump the puck into the corner to allow for the change or put the shot right on net. What does he do? He shoots way wide of his target leading to a huge carom off the boards. The Predators quickly retrieve the puck and transition into the attacking zone against a disorganized Flames team. Nine seconds after Moss shot the puck, the Arnott taps in a pass from Dumont. It was just a bad play by Moss.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:22 AM
  #10
abracanada
Registered User
 
abracanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
The team was lucky to win this game. The Predators hit two goalposts and one crossbar; otherwise, this game easily could have been 5-2 or 5-3 Nashville.

The team played a very good first 20 minutes but then were extremely flat for the next 30 to 35 minutes. They seemed totally disinterested and in desperate need for a mid-afternoon nap. Iginla, Phaneuf, and Aucoin, in particular, were sleepwalking most of the game. Fortunately, the rest of the team woke up just in time from their slumber.

Glencross was quite good today. He's finding his legs. Bertuzzi were all right for most of the game but he was terrific in the last 10 minutes and that was enough to make him the difference maker. I would like to see Bertuzzi use his size more consistently, like how he separated the Predators defenceman to force the turnover and set up Langkow for the game-tying goal.

Speaking of Langkow, he was really good today. He does a lot of the little things that go unnoticed buta are necessary to win games.

One final comment - I hope Keenan shows the team the replay of Nashville's 2nd goal. On the play, Moss got the puck on the RW boards and is alone against three Predators. His teammates, meanwhile, are changing, and remember this is the long change. Moss had two options - dump the puck into the corner to allow for the change or put the shot right on net. What does he do? He shoots way wide of his target leading to a huge carom off the boards. The Predators quickly retrieve the puck and transition into the attacking zone against a disorganized Flames team. Nine seconds after Moss shot the puck, the Arnott taps in a pass from Dumont. It was just a bad play by Moss.
Perhaps the biggest improvement this team has shown is their resilience. They can recover from bad periods. That is the difference between this and other years the Flames have played recently. I can't tell you how many games I have seen Detroit win games they never should have won. Confidence, belief in your team, belief you can score or come back no matter what, are earmarks of strong teams. Like Detroit, the Flames are developing a team that is never out of it. Relax and it will cost you. That ability to come from behind has kept this team winning or getting points out of there last games. I don't think it is luck, I think that is the type of team this is.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:21 AM
  #11
Caged Great
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,102
vCash: 500
MVP of the game was not Bertuzzi. He did score the winner and set up the tying goal. The rest of the game he was a sack of crap. Kipper should get the MVP because he kept us in the game till Bert learned how to actually play hockey.

Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:23 AM
  #12
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Perhaps the biggest improvement this team has shown is their resilience. They can recover from bad periods. That is the difference between this and other years the Flames have played recently. I can't tell you how many games I have seen Detroit win games they never should have won. Confidence, belief in your team, belief you can score or come back no matter what, are earmarks of strong teams. Like Detroit, the Flames are developing a team that is never out of it. Relax and it will cost you. That ability to come from behind has kept this team winning or getting points out of there last games. I don't think it is luck, I think that is the type of team this is.
Agreed. There are also two other big differences with the team this year:
- Speed. This team is much faster than the team's of years past. Keenan can roll four lines that can skate and pressure the opposition.

- Depth. When was the last time the Flames had three lines that could score? The team already has 6 players with 10 or more goals (Iginla, Cammalleri, Langkow, Bertuzzi, Moss, and Bourque) plus three defencemen that can contribute offensively.

Keenan has the team playing excellent hockey. Fortunately, Sutter and his staff didn't listen to the majority of us who wanted Keenan fired at the beginning of the season.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:58 PM
  #13
abracanada
Registered User
 
abracanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Agreed. There are also two other big differences with the team this year:
- Speed. This team is much faster than the team's of years past. Keenan can roll four lines that can skate and pressure the opposition.

- Depth. When was the last time the Flames had three lines that could score? The team already has 6 players with 10 or more goals (Iginla, Cammalleri, Langkow, Bertuzzi, Moss, and Bourque) plus three defencemen that can contribute offensively.

Keenan has the team playing excellent hockey. Fortunately, Sutter and his staff didn't listen to the majority of us who wanted Keenan fired at the beginning of the season.
Depth is huge. Only a few teams have as many players as Calgary at or over 10 goals. Not even San Jose has six 10 goal scorers. Neither does Chicago. Detroit and Boston do. This team is not depending on top line players only any more.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 03:18 PM
  #14
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=abracanada;17142995]Depth is huge. Only a few teams have as many players as Calgary at or over 10 goals. Not even San Jose has six 10 goal scorers. Neither does Chicago. Detroit and Boston do. This team is not depending on top line players only any more.[/QUOTE]

This is so true. A crude way to compare things would be a more skilled group of hard working (less lunch pail version but still hard working, puck battle winning) of the 2004 Flames. Sure the big players are big players as they should be but this depth is simply amazing and makes it a great time to follow the Flames. Hope they keep the streak alive today. 6 players have 10 goals or more. Boyd can make it 7 players too with a couple more.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.