HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why isn't Nitty playing more games than Biron yet?

Old
01-04-2009, 12:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Do you really think we will win with Biron getting hot for a set of games then cooling off for another set?
Sometimes they don't cool off.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
With our offense? Yes.
Well I dont know how much a team can win, winning games like 5-4, or 6-5.

Quote:
Sometimes they don't cool off.
Well as we can see with our pair of goalies, they usually do... Unless Biron plays like he played against Montreal last year, in all of the playoff games, I just dont see us winning the Stanley Cup with our current goaltending

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Oh and these are quick stats against some people's arguements that Nitty plays easier teams

Teams Biron played:

NYR
MTL
COL
SJS
NJD
NYI
EDM
TBL
PIT
BUF
DAL
CHI
VAN
ANA
CAR

Teams Nitty played:

NYR
PIT
SJS
ATL
OTT
CAR
COL
MTL
WSH
NJD
CBJ
LAK

As we can see they are pretty similar. The only teams Nitty has not played that were good were ANA, VAN, CHI (BUFF also if you consider them good).

Teams Biron have not played when the team is good is OTT, WSH, and maybe even CBJ.

This is pretty much even if you ask me.

Old
01-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Tommy D

The only way were all going to be happy is if we dump both their inconstant ***** and find a real starter.

Tommy D

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:40 PM
phlocky

Basically neither guy is an elite goalie and not capable of consistantly carrying this team in the playoffs. If one of them gets hot then they can win us a cup just like what happened in TB and Carolina. It would be a one and done with them in goal. Biron is better but not by much. Why should we re-sign Biron to the 4-4.5 mil a year for 2 years (what most people are predicting it will take to re-sign him) when we can probably re-sign Nitty for 2 year at about 2 mil a year??? That frees up 2-2.5 mil to spend elsewhere and still have about the same quality in goal.

Can we win the cup with Biron in net??? Sure, but it's only about as likely as it is with us having Nitty in net instead.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Can we win the cup with Biron in net??? Sure, but it's only about as likely as it is with us having Nitty in net instead.
Biron's track record in the NHL is far superior to Nitty. People forget how absolutely god awful Nitty looked when he was given the opportunities to be the starter here...and how he's been much, much better in the backup role playing less games, with less opportunity to get into a funk.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:44 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Niittymaki has played 7 of the last 10 games. Not sure what the complaining is about.
No complaining here (I wish there were some type of tone adjuster for written communications ). And, he played that many games because Biron was dying of the flu during that time.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Biron is better but not by much. Why should we re-sign Biron to the 4-4.5 mil a year for 2 years (what most people are predicting it will take to re-sign him) when we can probably re-sign Nitty for 2 year at about 2 mil a year??? That frees up 2-2.5 mil to spend elsewhere and still have about the same quality in goal.
Something like this.

Biron is definately the better of the two, it's just a matter if you think he's 2.5-3 million dollars better. Especially with our cap crisis.

Having said that, I think he'll be back.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:52 PM
FrederickFlyer27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Biron's track record in the NHL is far superior to Nitty. People forget how absolutely god awful Nitty looked when he was given the opportunities to be the starter here...and how he's been much, much better in the backup role playing less games, with less opportunity to get into a funk.
Niitty was hurt that whole season, getting injections in order to play through his injured hip. Also, the entire team stunk that year.

FrederickFlyer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:53 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Something like this.

Biron is definately the better of the two, it's just a matter if you think he's 2.5-3 million dollars better. Especially with our cap crisis.

Having said that, I think he'll be back.
You think who will be back? I could interpret what you stated in two ways.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederickFlyer27 View Post
Niitty was hurt that whole season, getting injections in order to play through his injured hip. Also, the entire team stunk that year.
Did his injured hip lead to the horrible glove hand? Did the injured hip lead to (the still consistent) proclivity to overplay shooters and get way out of the net?

Nitty also specifically stated that the hip didn't bother his play that season...and his play last year was not demonstrably better, he was just playing a smaller role and didn't have the opportunity to get into the funks when he was getting lit up for a few games in a row.

Nitty is a good backup.

Biron is an average starter.

Old
01-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
You think who will be back? I could interpret what you stated in two ways.
Biron.

Quote:

Nitty is a good backup.

I whole heartedly agree.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:07 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
First I wanted to say glad to see you back. Really havent seen you much lately.

Ok now to your post. We are talking about the season in which the whole team played horribly. Look at our defense that year .During the season Nitty played full time, he was injured badly. I really dont know what full season, other then Biron's 30-28-10 season, that Biron had to carry a team that was the worse in the league and played with a injury at the same time. But yes I do see what your saying that Nitty playing less means he will lose less. This kinda can be said about Biron also. As everyone knows Nitty plays alittle more then normal backup goalie mins. This does give Biron time to not get into the funk either.

EDIT: I typed too slow, I see someone beat me to it already...

Old
01-04-2009, 01:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Nitty is a good backup.

Totally agree with that also.

Old
01-04-2009, 01:14 PM
chromemaro

i hope we keep on of the two next year as a back up and sign a real goalie.

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
First I wanted to say glad to see you back. Really havent seen you much lately.

Ok now to your post. We are talking about the season in which the whole team played horribly. Look at our defense that year .During the season Nitty played full time, he was injured badly. I really dont know what full season, other then Biron's 30-28-10 season, that Biron had to carry a team that was the worse in the league and played with a injury at the same time. But yes I do see what your saying that Nitty playing less means he will lose less. This kinda can be said about Biron also. As everyone knows Nitty plays alittle more then normal backup goalie mins. This does give Biron time to not get into the funk either.

EDIT: I typed too slow, I see someone beat me to it already...
Holidays and whatnot as to the absence.

A goalie can control his own play behind a bad team...just as a good player can play well on a bad team. GAA is certainly affected by bad teams, but SVPCT can be very good on a bad team. Nitty was a BIG part of the problem in that dreadful season. He was absolutely horrible and gave that team nothing to lean on in net and rarely bailed out the D...which you need your goalie to do, even on very good teams.

That was a bad team regardless...but Nitty shouldn't get a pass on his play for that team. He was part of the problem.

Old
01-04-2009, 02:38 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Marty will be fine, our defensive zone play has been steadily getting worse though and that can definitely account for some of the goals. Let's look at the Anaheim game..

1st goal - Perry walks out in front by himself, really poor defending by Vaananen.

2nd goal - bit of a weak one.

3rd goal - Deflected Pronger slapper on the PP.

4th goal - Getzlaf left alone in front by himself.

I don't think anyone in their right mind can blame Marty for 3 of those goals. Furthermore, he did come up huge several times in the 3rd period to preserve the tie. He hasn't played as well as I would like at times, but again, the defense hasn't really done him any favors.

I think we move the puck better as a defensive unit, but contrastingly, we are prone to really getting caught out in the defensive zone.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
JS27

Quote:
Did his injured hip lead to the horrible glove hand? Did the injured hip lead to (the still consistent) proclivity to overplay shooters and get way out of the net?
Where is Niitty's problematic glove hand this year? Seems like he fixed it. Biron cannot go post to post to save his life. Niitty is much more athletic and a smarter goaltender. The few times he over plays a shooter, he can get back. Biron leaves an empty net.

JS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS27 View Post
Where is Niitty's problematic glove hand this year? Seems like he fixed it. Biron cannot go post to post to save his life. Niitty is much more athletic and a smarter goaltender. The few times he over plays a shooter, he can get back. Biron leaves an empty net.
Just not true. Last night, for example, Nitty had his ass saved by the D when he was completely out of the goal as Kopitar skated around.

As to his problematic glove hand...last night was another classic example...how many glove saves did Nitty fumble out into the slot?

Old
01-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Raffl House

I'll answer the question right now for everyone. Biron is better. End of story.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:58 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
I'll answer the question right now for everyone. Biron is better. End of story.
If it were only that simple....

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
If it were only that simple....
I'm making it that simple. Niity has talent but it doesn't really translate into NHL results -- too bad we don't play Atlanta 82 games a year.

Biron has had more consistency, NHL playoff success, and a team to back him. He is the starter, and Niity is the backup. Simple.

If Niity was better, we would know by now. The dude is 28 years old.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
I'm making it that simple.
I was being wistful...

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:25 PM
captainpaxil

i think biron may be a good target for cap relief now and definitely not next year if his contract demands are elevated. this year the difference in play between them is marginal and def not worth the 2 mil between them. im inspired to offer a proposal to the kings for zatkoff. with quick emerging and bernier the next he may be the odd man out in la but hed be a possible goalie of the future here.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i think biron may be a good target for cap relief now and definitely not next year if his contract demands are elevated. this year the difference in play between them is marginal and def not worth the 2 mil between them. im inspired to offer a proposal to the kings for zatkoff. with quick emerging and bernier the next he may be the odd man out in la but hed be a possible goalie of the future here.
I traded Nitty to LA for Boyle on NHL 09, and then they subsequently waived Nitty and he was picked up by Pitt.

What does this mean? Absolutely nothing.............

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote