HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I want a rivalry with the Caps

Old
01-04-2009, 02:49 AM
BerubeBox*

vCash: 500
I want a rivalry with the Caps

But there just isn't one. As much as I want one, as great as last year's playoffs were, I just don't feel like there's an actual hatred there between Flyers fans and Capitals fans.

I remember the days when Washington was in the Patrick. It was cool hating them. Keith Jones was a ******* along with 20 other players I could name. But that was a long time ago, and 1 playoff series plus ovechkin? I'm just not feeling it.

I hate lots of northeast division teams. I think that might be it, it's a divisional thing. I think I can't respect a team that's in the Southeast division.

If you're in the Southeast division, you do not have a soul. Yep, that's what it is.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Well I want a toilet made of solid gold, but thats just not in the cards now, is it?

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:09 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post
Well I want a toilet made of solid gold, but thats just not in the cards now, is it?

That'd be great if their name was Ivanna Humpalot

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:10 AM
chaosof99*

All I want is a healthy team :/

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:51 AM
kicksave27

all i want is the caps game to not be on CN8. That and cutting the teams in the league down to pre-90's expansion.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:01 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I actually like the Capitals. I'll root for them if it doesn't involve the Flyers.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I don't find the Capitals to be a hateable team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:26 AM
XS Chop

I don't know. There's no Dale Hunter type on that team anymore. I think most Flyers fans have a healthy respect for Ovechkin. Rivalries start because you play that team a lot (especially in the playoffs year after year) and specific players that just get under your skin. Caps just don't have either of those things.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:29 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
I don't know. There's no Dale Hunter type on that team anymore. I think most Flyers fans have a healthy respect for Ovechkin. Rivalries start because you play that team a lot (especially in the playoffs year after year) and specific players that just get under your skin. Caps just don't have either of those things.

What about this Tasmanian Devil? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJffY2lOFME

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
But there just isn't one. As much as I want one, as great as last year's playoffs were, I just don't feel like there's an actual hatred there between Flyers fans and Capitals fans.

I remember the days when Washington was in the Patrick. It was cool hating them. Keith Jones was a ******* along with 20 other players I could name. But that was a long time ago, and 1 playoff series plus ovechkin? I'm just not feeling it.

I hate lots of northeast division teams. I think that might be it, it's a divisional thing. I think I can't respect a team that's in the Southeast division.

If you're in the Southeast division, you do not have a soul. Yep, that's what it is.
Funny you should mention that, there was an article on ESPN.com about where the NHL goes next with the Winter Classic and one idea was a Flyers/Caps game in State College so that the NHL can get more exposure for Alexander Ovechkin.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:32 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
What about this Tasmanian Devil? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJffY2lOFME
oh my god, that was hilarious. slapfight?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

We're the ****ing Philadelphia Flyers, how can you have a rivalry with a team whose players do this:

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:04 PM
TheFlyingP

That last game at home on Dec. 20th was a great game. There were some big hits. The Caps came out real hard Nitty kept us in it in the first period. Then we just took over. Ovechkin was frustrated all night. Richie had some good hits on him. This next game coming up with them is going to be tough they are on a tear at home.

TheFlyingP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:07 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
We're the ****ing Philadelphia Flyers, how can you have a rivalry with a team whose players do this:

Best. Fight. Ever.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:

He can play a wicked drums on Rock Band!

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:

Amen!!!

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:14 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I want Brashear to not run any of our players into the boards from behind

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

There's a rivalry, but it's a friendly one -- not like the Penguins (How about tough boy Crosby?! Look Sid, like this ... ) or Rangers. Since the Caps have no Hunters or Langways, maybe the Flyers need Marty or Niitty to score on them.
I went down there for a playoff game last year and only one fan even tried to haze me. Most instead had to come up to me and ask when Adam Oates played for the Flyers (I was in my 77 jersey).
Not being in the division anymore will always be difficult to overcome. Just like the Canadiens and those Northeast teams.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:37 PM
ELab2

I like the Caps, I'm pretty much a fan of one team kind of guy but I really enjoy watching the Caps more than almost everyone except the Flyers.

I suppose it could be a rivalry but I think prefer the Pens be our arch enemy because I really despise them.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:20 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I don't. They're one of the 3 teams I like in the East(Flyers, Caps, Canes). It's hard enough to pick teams other than the Flyers in the East (though I like numerous teams in the West), so I don't want a reason to hate one of them.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:24 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I just like the flyers *shrug*

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I just like the flyers *shrug*
I got Center Ice and it's the 2nd year I have it. You learn to pick up on other teams with it. Canes are and exciting team to watch minus their epic-homer announcers, and the Caps are just plain fun to watch.

Flyers will be my number one always and I make a priority to watch their games no matter what. The others, if a game is on I'll put it on, that's about it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Chainsaw

Quote:

NHL.com agrees with you
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|home

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:37 AM
sickamore

Quote:
.....I just don't feel like there's an actual hatred there between Flyers fans and Capitals fans.
There was one?

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:53 AM
txpd

From the Washington perspective there is plenty of rivalry like dislike here. The plain fact is that while Caps fans hate the Flyers and hate Flyer fans, but its a one way hate. Flyer fans have other teams they hate far more and really don't notice the Caps. For the Flyers to hate the Caps like Caps fans hate the Flyers, the Caps need to torment the Flyers for a few years.

Here is a excerpt from a Washington Post column from the playoffs.
"Midway through the third period of this demoralizing 6-3 loss at Wachovia Center, 20,000 people in fluorescent orange howled for their World Extreme Cagefighters, and a crowd in the upper bowl chanted vulgarities at Ovechkin that went beyond the bounds of loutish fan behavior. As the frothing masses left the arena, they felt good about the bull being struck and killed -- checking the multi-generational Russian wizards Ovechkin and Sergei Fedorov into humility as much as the boards."

"The Caps' postseason slogan: "Rock The Red." The Flyers? "Vengeance Now," which comes across as less of a slogan and more of a sequel to Charles Bronson's "Death Wish."

"It's almost impossible to fathom, but the Capitals took the ice in front of a building as loud as Verizon Center last Friday. The fans wore orange instead of the Capitals' red, and many of the women and children looked as if they could work security for Megadeth."

"They flat-out market and sell violence here, sanctioned, unbridled assaults disguised as sport."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...503637_pf.html

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote