HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: offensive show in mtl... Captain K?

Old
01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Dripper

vCash: 500
Bold prediction: Weber will play the next game instead of D'Agostini.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Souvenirs

Seems to me everyone is just always waiting for Sergei to do something wrong and then they bash him relentlessly. Honestly, I think it's normal and I expected Sergei to struggle in his 2nd (first full) season. He'll get better, get more experience and in the future him and his brother will be scoring machines for the Habs. Change the name Kostitsyn to Pacioretty on the jersey and with 2 assists and +4, everyone would be praising him, but since it's Sergei, let's go Brunet on his ass and crucify him and whine about his turnovers.(Because, he's like, the only player on the Habs who does any, mmkaayyy??!!?Yeah, totally *sarcasm*)

The fans get all excited to see AHLers up and scoring, but when they'll get regular spots on the team and that they'll struggle people will want them benched or sent back to Hamilton in favor of a brought up player who will be a flavor of the month for a while, just like D'Ags. I'm not bashing the guy at all, he'll be a great player for us but he started on fire and now he ain't doing anything. It's perfectly normal but just wait to see when people will get bored of him, he'll be the next Sergei.

Our team is so bad that we are 4-5 in the East, with key players injured and ahead of last year's pace. It's not acceptable, let's fire the coaches and GM and just bring up the whole Bulldogs team instead.Seriously, Montreal wins the prize for the most whiny and critical fans towards their team.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:35 PM
CanadianPantherFan

To clarify/point out a few things:

1. How are the Panthers a bottom feeder team? We should not have given up the 2-0 lead so quick , and we should not have been able to tie it late either

2. A lot of Kovalev bashing around here. Halak too,which is not deserved. How about the multitude of turnovers by all Montreal players today

3. If you want Bou...what you willing to give up? 1st or 2nd rounder? Top end prospect or two? An Nhl ready player ?

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
1. How are the Panthers a bottom feeder team? We should not have given up the 2-0 lead so quick , and we should not have been able to tie it late either
I think you guys deserve a little more credit as well. You're only a few points away from the 8th Playoff spot. It might not be like the West where sitting 13th still puts you 2 points from 8th, but Florida is closer than Toronto, Ottawa, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and New York.

As for JayBo... I think Florida will want too much so I'm not sure what to give that Florida will take without going over the cap.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:39 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
This is yet another proof that stats don't tell the whole story... If you've watched the game, you'll know that he didn't play a good game regardless of the stats.
I watched the game. The point sir is this:

Sergei was just about the least of Habs problems today. He played almost 17 minutes putting him 5th among forwards and was on for none of the FLA goals. He also got two assists. So who gets talked about?

Plekanec and Kovalev were attrocious. Max Pac had his troubles. Halak was bad at best. Comical that RDS chose Sergei to "highlite" between periods.

Save it for when he deserves it. I'll back you up 100%

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Embarrassing number of turnovers but the Panthers responded with their own brand of kindness.

Saddest thing: Watching Halak prove his inferiority once again.

Funniest thing: Chipchura and d'Agostini each logged exactly 1 second of PP time.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:50 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
1. How are the Panthers a bottom feeder team? We should not have given up the 2-0 lead so quick , and we should not have been able to tie it late either.
Your team hasn't made the playoffs in the last 7 seasons. You may not be in the cellar of the conference, but your team is the definition of a bottom feeder. I don't mean to be pompous or rude here, but I am trying to be realisitic.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post

Sergei was just about the least of Habs problems today. He played almost 17 minutes putting him 5th among forwards and was on for none of the FLA goals. He also got two assists. So who gets talked about?

Plekanec and Kovalev were attrocious. Max Pac had his troubles. Halak was bad at best. Comical that RDS chose Sergei to "highlite" between periods.

Doesn't mean he had a good game.
I don't think any of our players were atrocious as you put it. That's pushing it a bit. Some players had a harder game than others, but why people are on Sergei's case is because he's been mediocre at best since the beginning of the season.

I think Sergei was awright, made some bad plays, made some good ones, but the intensity in his play has dropped quite a bit.
Whereas someone like Plekanec, even during his bad games, always seems to put forth the effort.

I have nothing against S.Kost, like I said he's been mediocre/average since the beginning but that's very frequent for a 2nd year player.

To be fair, one of his assist came from an empty net and the other one was just a clear off the board. Still have to give him credit for those players, but it's not like they were amazing plays.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Anyone else think they should sennd him down to the AHL for a conditioning stint and keep up Denis for backup. He really needs to play and get back in the groove
That would be very dumb.
Send him down, and what??..Give the nets to Denis and call up Desjardins??..are you kidding me?

Even when Price comes back, I'll take a crappy Halak over Denis any day of the week.

Old
01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That would be very dumb.
Send him down, and what??..Give the nets to Denis and call up Desjardins??..are you kidding me?

Even when Price comes back, I'll take a crappy Halak over Denis any day of the week.
His point was so Halak can play a lot more and get his confidence back. We did the same for Carey Price last season.

Denis wouldn't play a single game, it would just be until Halak's game was back on track. If Price went down again, we'd just call him back up.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
That would be very dumb.

You are basing this on what exactly ? he is 4th in wins in the AHL, did you ever see him play before or are you just going by what others say ? Tampa bay stint didn't go so well but Columbus wasn't too bad considering they are both garbage teams !

HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Let's just say that it's a good thing that it wasn't Latendresse who coughed up the puck at the blue line, causing a breakaway the other way and ultimately a short-handed goal against us...
Lats wouldn't try to deke two guys at center ice while being the last man back. He'd recognize his limitations and just dump the puck deep. This isn't a Lats thing either. Almost all the Habs, in this situation, would do the same thing.

Only Kovy has that supreme confidence/arrogance.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:07 PM
BLONG7

Markov's goal in the SO always seem to be the same move, and he scores almost every time...you would think the goaltenders would catch-on?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
His point was so Halak can play a lot more and get his confidence back. We did the same for Carey Price last season.

Denis wouldn't play a single game, it would just be until Halak's game was back on track. If Price went down again, we'd just call him back up.
Last year was a completely different scenario.

We sent Price back down because he wasn't performing well, but mainly because Gainey already had his mind set on trading Huet at the deadline.

He wanted to give the net to Price and that's why he sent him back down to help his focus/confidence.

Halak will not be our #1, he won't take over Price's position, sending him in AHL for a month only to come back up and stay back up won't change a thing.

Old
01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
You are basing this on what exactly ? he is 4th in wins in the AHL, did you ever see him play before or are you just going by what others say ? Tampa bay stint didn't go so well but Columbus wasn't too bad considering they are both garbage teams !
Ive seen him play often.
In TB and CLB AND AHL.

So no, I'd live and die with a struggling Halak.

Old
01-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

And it was decreed by Habs fans, the team must win every game, and every win must be magnificent.....

A win is a win, is a win.

They can't all be pretty, this one wasn't, but in two months no one will even remember this game.

I'm actually surprised that the Habs came back after digging the 2-0 hole, showed some character.

And finally Halak gets some run support.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
Bold prediction: Weber will play the next game instead of D'Agostini.
I actually agree. I would like to see him fill a Streit ''role'' for few games.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post

Sergei was by far the worst player of both teams tonight, I dont care about pts, this kid isnt NHL material right now, has to bulk up and get stronger..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Souvenirs

If the worst player has 2 assists and is +4, I don't want to imagine who the best are.

Old
01-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Adam91

Kovalev made one terrible play on Dvorak's first goal, besides that he was creating chances, hitting posts, making stuff happen.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Souvenirs

I agree. Sometimes he does magical stuff, but it doesn't always translate into a goal and people think he's useless. Truth is, Kovalev can make something happen single handedly. If he's gone next year, we'll need another impact player.

Old
01-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Sergei was by far the worst player of both teams tonight, I dont care about pts, this kid isnt NHL material right now, has to bulk up and get stronger..
It has nothing to do with getting stronger. Sergei lacks experience to know when to pass/when not to pass. The pass that he made to Andrei and the one he made to Latendresse clearly prove that the kid is NHL ready...He just needs to learn when not to make a pass. A lot of his passes are risky and telegraphed. With time, he'll learn and become one of our most effective forwards.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
That would be very dumb.

LOL...last year with Price, what did they do in January with him to regain his confidence?? If you can't remember they sent him down to the AHL to work on his game !!! And what is the difference between Denis and Halak sitting on the end of the bench ?????????????????? What did they just do with O'Byrne ??? YES they sent him down to get playing time and get some confidence back !!!!! What is soooo bad that?????? Geez

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I liked Chipchura tonight, he was great on the PK
he got like 10 min of ice, hes not ready, I can't wait for Koivu to come back hopefully it creates some stability/balance.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
It has nothing to do with getting stronger. Sergei lacks experience to know when to pass/when not to pass. The pass that he made to Andrei and the one he made to Latendresse clearly prove that the kid is NHL ready...He just needs to learn when not to make a pass. A lot of his passes are risky and telegraphed. With time, he'll learn and become one of our most effective forwards.
Many of the plays he tries work(ed) in junior where he had tons of success. Its obvious he is still learning to play at the NHL level.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote