HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak

Old
01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Habs83

vCash: 500
Halak

We're missing our entire first line including our Captain, we're missing our franchise goalie, we're missing our heavyweight enforcer who also does a pretty good job of protecting the puck and we're missing a veteran blueliner who bleeds for this team, he friggin played with a broken arm because he didnt want to get a minus on the play! And despite all of this, we're still winning games!

Now i'm not saying he's a bad goalie, but Halak needs to play somewhere else. He could be a number 1 someday, but he has no confidence when he doesnt play regularly, and unfortunately he wont get that chance here in Montreal. For his sake, and for ours he should be dealt this year IMO. A veteran backup would do wonders for this team. On the last goal, Halak, definitely made that alot harder than it should have been. He closed his trapper and used it as a blocker to stop the puck, thus creating a rebound and then a goal. If it were Price, it would have been gloved with no rebound.

If we had a veteran, who has more experience, it would be a little more calming to the players knowing they have someone back there who doesnt need to play alot to be competitive. Marc Denis is not the answer. I would look at someone like Olaf Kolzig, has playoff experience, loves Price, wouldnt need alot of games.

What's everyone else's opinion?

Habs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Lone Rogue

If we could get a Roloson or Kolzig after dealing Halak for a blueliner, I would definitely do it. Even if we don't snatch a Kolzig or Roloson, if Price goes down, regardless who our backup is, we win the Cup with Price and that is it.

However, that said, Halak is still a talented goalie and once he calms his nerves down, we'll be able to rely on him again. I think he is still shaken from being completely bailed on in the Ducks game. The team didn't start exploding until Carey came back and it was too late.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM
GoodKiwi

So, you'd use assets to acquire Kolzig while shipping a young cheap RFA out without getting anything significant back?

It does not make sense for us to trade Halak at this point, no matter how you look at it.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Habs83

Kolzig could probably be had for a 3rd or 4th round pick.
Halak could be packaged for a top 4 d-man. Yes he's young, cheap and could be amazing someday, but truth is, he has no confidence, doesn't make the big save when it counts and isn't going to get the games in that he needs in order to be effective.

Old
01-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Stradale

This is the kind of opportunity for a 2nd goalie to prove himself that he can be a 1st goalie in the nhl. His stats may be decent but he havent shown that he could be a 1st goailie anywhere else in the nhl.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs83 View Post
Kolzig could probably be had for a 3rd or 4th round pick.
Halak could be packaged for a top 4 d-man. Yes he's young, cheap and could be amazing someday, but truth is, he has no confidence, doesn't make the big save when it counts and isn't going to get the games in that he needs in order to be effective.
I would do something like that in a heartbeat.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I would do something like that in a heartbeat.
Especially with the whole Kolzig lockout mentorship of Price in the WHL

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
Especially with the whole Kolzig lockout mentorship of Price in the WHL
Very interesting. I'm not sure TB would be a great fit. They have good depth in net. Well it's TB so anything is possible from them.
What is Kolzig's salary?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Very interesting. I'm not sure TB would be a great fit. They have good depth in net. Well it's TB so anything is possible from them.
What is Kolzig's salary?
$1.5M

Old
01-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Habs83

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
What is Kolzig's salary?
I wouldn't deal Halak for Kolzig, i'd try a 3rd or 4th round pick.
Kolzig's salary cap hit is 2.5million.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs83 View Post
I wouldn't deal Halak for Kolzig, i'd try a 3rd or 4th round pick.
Kolzig's salary cap hit is 2.5million.
It wasn't suggested to trade Halak for Kolzig. It was suggested to trade Halak in a package for a top 4 defenseman and get Kolzig for what you've mentioned, a late pick.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Kirk Muller

To me Halak has lost a lot of his luster with his play this year. He still could turn it around however as it stands, i'd rather have a veteran backup. I have ZERO confidence in Halak this year.

Price getting hurt is starting to bug me. To me this guy is allowed to have too many liberties taken against him and it needs to be addressed. Breezy, Bouillon, Markov all need to stop being little powder puffs when it comes to defending Price.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
A player was on Halak for two of the goals. The first goal was the only one I blame him for. He's not Price, he's small, so point shots have a better chance of going in. He's a good goalie. We've seen him when he's good and we've seen him when he's bad. He's young, only 23, plenty of time to get these consistency issues dealt with. I'd rather have him than Denis that's for sure.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

At the end of last season, I made a thread suggesting getting Kolzig, for his connection to Price and to have a solid veteran presence to support him, one who unlike Huet, has already made his millions and wouldn't mind being the support guy for Price. Most didn't agree.

Now as for Halak, I wish it could've been different for him and for us, but that's life, you can't have two such young goalies handling the most important spot on the team, and Halak doesn't seem ready, and if its better playing time he needs, we can't afford to give him that. Price is the top priority, and is also a good notch over Halak in terms of talent and has shown great progress and despite his young age, is dominating and our most important player. We really need that solid veteran presence to back him up.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:34 PM
le_sean

I'm sorry, but Kolzig? Have you seen his stats this year? 3.66 GAA and .898 SV%. And don't say "well he's playing in Tampa" because Mike Smith is doing perfectly fine. He's washed up and not a competent back-up.

Who cares about the mentoring of Price? Carey can call him on the phone after if he needs to talk to someone. We're trying to ice a competitive team and you want Kolzig playing a couple of games down the stretch? Jesus.

Not to mention he's on the IR right now.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 10:46 PM
otto bond

[QUOTE=Asterix;17150629]It wasn't suggested to trade Halak for Kolzig. It was suggested to trade Halak in a package for a top 4 defenseman and get Kolzig for what you've mentioned, a late pick.[/QUOTE]

I can see the logic. Not sure what kind of package the habs could offer for a top 4 dman.
Kolzig at 2.5 cap hit is a bit high but if he brings a good dimension, well why not.
Despite the injury bug, habs are just a few tweaks away from getting much stronger.
Few thing people forget;
We are heads and shoulders wen it come to ES scoring.
Good in net(Price). Bigger, still young and lots of depth.
Points wise, ahead of last year.

So Halak has a few bad games and .....jump ship. One thing is for sure, he has value. Enough for something packaged for a top 4 dman? not sure.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
BadHabit

Is Jeff Hackett still available?

J/K. I'm not ready to jump ship on Halak yet... he did very well a couple of years ago when he was filling in for Huet and I liked what I saw. He's just a little rusty and is lacking in confidence.

He hasn't played well, but I don't think he's a wash yet. He's only 1 year older than Price!!

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Running with the ball here, on the idea of using Halak in a package deal to get a top 4 defenseman...

I wonder if the Coyotes would be willing to trade Mikael Tellqvist in Phoenix? Maybe we could kill two birds with one stone in trying to get Derek Morris as well?

What about Halak and something to Dallas for Stephane Robidas?

Although he's not having a great year, would Mathieu Garon in Edmonton be a possibility?

Old
01-04-2009, 11:12 PM
kovalost27

Lets face it, Halak isn't worth a top four defenseman. Teams with a strong defensive core make the goalie a lot better, and teams that don't have a strong goalie or strong goals against will never deal a top four defenseman.

Montreal would have to trade Halak plus Hamrlik (I couldn't see anyone taking Gorges, Cube and Brisebois as replacement top four and Montreal dealing Komisarek and Markov) in order to get that top four defenseman.

However, I do think it would be nice/ideal to get a veteran goalie to back up Price.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Chet-Nick

Halak's peformance in New Jersey warranted Carbonneau pulling Jaroslav and replacing him with Denis for the third period.

Today was a bizarre game. I don't blame him for Florida's fourth and fifth goal. Kostopoulos screened him on one and Gorges fell back into the net for the tying marker.

Montreal's defensive play has been below par on both occasions. Sloppy clearing attempts and the odd giveaway (ahem ... Mr. Kovalev).

Goalies are like skaters. They experience highs and lows too. I have faith in Halak. He just didn't, all of the sudden, turn bad. Had a couple rough outings. That's all.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Lets face it, Halak isn't worth a top four defenseman. Teams with a strong defensive core make the goalie a lot better, and teams that don't have a strong goalie or strong goals against will never deal a top four defenseman.
I don't think that anyone here thinks that Halak could bring a top 4 defenseman. What people are saying though is that Halak could be included in a package deal (not the key piece here) to land a top 4 defenseman. It would most likely have to be with a team out of playoffs' contention and/or looking for a young goalie as a project. Personally, I've always thought that Halak could be the next Tomas Vokoun...

Old
01-05-2009, 01:17 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
It's an interesting proposition however, I'm not for it. I like halak. I think he's a solid goalie. I don't care about 2 games. This guy dominated the AHL, nearly lead us to a playoff spot two years ago. I'm not concerned. He rarely plays, lacks confidence. If he has a bad game, he doesn't get to get it off his mind with a strong start next game. He's screwed, because he has to wait 2 weeks to play. I just don't think Halak was prepared mentally for the game, he lacked the focus. Does this make him a bad goalie? No. He's young, he'll adapt. Once he learns and gets used to the situation of being a #2, he'll learn how to be a solid backup. I wouldn't deal him just yet, we don't have goaltender prospects in the system to replace him. Patience! Rather have halak than kolzig if price went down.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:39 AM
suprez

That why i hate brunet.We should be happy with our team right now.
He always yell - the other team played yesterday or got lot of injuries..Why he never give this excuse to the habs when they lose vs a heatly team?

We're missing a lot of keyplayer and like you said the entire first line.We're doing quite well considering the circumstance.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:07 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

As we speak Halak is a back-up. He may become a starter someday, but he isnt one now...

and just like EVERY back-ups, he's inconsistent, gives soft goals from time to time and is also shaky...

Unless you're an exceptionally gifted goalie theses issues will take years to be fixed... same for other young back-up out there...

If we ever trade Halak and get another back-up from somewhere else, we'll be having the exact same topic right now, just using a different name...

reality is simple : If Halak was any better NOW, he would be splitting duties with Price at the very worst.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:30 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprez View Post
That why i hate brunet.We should be happy with our team right now.
He always yell - the other team played yesterday or got lot of injuries..Why he never give this excuse to the habs when they lose vs a heatly team?

We're missing a lot of keyplayer and like you said the entire first line.We're doing quite well considering the circumstance.
Agreed, add to that his man love for Lapierre, Begin and Tenderness....gawd!!

As for Halak, I would not move him. He is having a bad stretch but I think the OPs argument does not hold water as over the last month he has had more starts, and has played more regularly then Price. I say keep him for as long as we can and I would never bring in Kolzig who is washed up.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote