Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First round draft pick in 2009

Old
01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
JorgeRocks!

vCash: 500
First round draft pick in 2009

If the regular season ended today, we would get the 25th pick in the draft, (assuming the lottery just results in last place-1rst pick, 2nd last-2nd pick).

Ethan Werek is currently rated 25th by ISS, but i would be more interested in his Kingston teammate, 6'8 defenceman Taylor Doherty, who is ranked 24th by ISS.

Of course i have seen neither of them play, but are there any other prospects you guys hope we can nab in the first round of this years draft?

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
serratedmuffin

Scott Glennie or Landon Ferraro

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:19 AM
BearChi

Toni Rajala?

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:57 AM
AndersEriksson*

Klingberg. Or any other Swede for that matter.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:05 AM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 50
Peter Holland

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 04:53 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
Ethan Werek is currently rated 25th by ISS, but i would be more interested in his Kingston teammate, 6'8 defenceman Taylor Doherty, who is ranked 24th by ISS.
Good God!
The Flames depth on D is pretty decent and I do not see, what Taylor Doherty brings to the table that the Flames not already have. Keith Aulie and Matt Pelech are comparable players and both of them are pretty promising prospects at the moment. Thanks, but no thanks!
Peter Holland would be an intriguing pick. My favourite pick from the OHL, however, would be Zach Kassian. He is a match made in heaven for a Sutter managed team, but the Flames would need a much higher pick to acquire him (unless something unforeseen happens). A gritty power forward who has a nose for the net and is tough as nails, but also has good puck and skating skills.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 05:40 AM
Lunatik*

actually is the regular season ended today the Flames would be drafting between 15th and 30th as the remainder of the draft order is determined by the playoffs

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 05:52 PM
jeremywilhelm

Tatar!!!!

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 06:59 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Tatar!!!!
Totally agree! He was great against Sweden.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 09:52 PM
The Gaud Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Tatar!!!!
Yes, but not with the 1st rounder.

The Gaud Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy4hart View Post
Toni Rajala?
He'll be gone by the time we draft unless of course we move up in the draft. We had better be drafting a forward or goalie, we already have a bunch of young defensemen and a ridiculously stellar one in Phaneuf. Lunatik's idea in the other thread of trading Lombardi to move up was a decent one. I'd like to nab a skilled forward if we could. If he was there, Rajala wouldn't be a bad option.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 05:10 AM
Snoil11

Didn't Rajala drop considerably over the course of the past few months? He isn't even ranked in the ISS Top-30 December edition.

Old
01-04-2009, 11:28 AM
serratedmuffin

poor performances at the WCJ can affect stock quite a bit...see Janus and Tatar..
I'd love to move someone to go up in the draft.... maybe Jacob Josefson?

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Abonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
He'll be gone by the time we draft unless of course we move up in the draft. We had better be drafting a forward or goalie, we already have a bunch of young defensemen and a ridiculously stellar one in Phaneuf. Lunatik's idea in the other thread of trading Lombardi to move up was a decent one. I'd like to nab a skilled forward if we could. If he was there, Rajala wouldn't be a bad option.
I dont agree with this. While we have a bunch of young defensemen, we also have a bunch of young goalies as well (Mac, Irving, Keetley, Lalande). None may be "blue-chip", but I doubt we could draft a blue chipper in the latter half of the 1st round anyways.

I think you have to draft the best player available. Then you can trade from your position of organizational strength (whether it be a surplus of forward, goalie or defensemen prospects) when you have a better idea of what type of player you have as he is further along in his development. I'd be happy with a good forward, but no more than a good player who plays any other position.

Abonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj43r View Post
Peter Holland
+1

He'd be a great fit with the Flames.

Leperus Leprechuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
BearChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
Didn't Rajala drop considerably over the course of the past few months? He isn't even ranked in the ISS Top-30 December edition.
yeah. in some hes ranked 26 to the second round i wouldnt mind getting him has has good speed and great hands

BearChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abonics View Post
I dont agree with this. While we have a bunch of young defensemen, we also have a bunch of young goalies as well (Mac, Irving, Keetley, Lalande). None may be "blue-chip", but I doubt we could draft a blue chipper in the latter half of the 1st round anyways.

I think you have to draft the best player available. Then you can trade from your position of organizational strength (whether it be a surplus of forward, goalie or defensemen prospects) when you have a better idea of what type of player you have as he is further along in his development. I'd be happy with a good forward, but no more than a good player who plays any other position.
I was getting at the idea of moving up the draft so we could draft a blue-chip forward.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 08:40 PM
JorgeRocks!

This is one of the best drafts to move up in, in a long time. If we do get around that 25th pick, do you think a team in the top 10 would take lombardi, boyd, and the 25th overall pick, for say one of those picks in the top 10, or something similar to that trade?

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
jeremywilhelm

Nah, trade Lombardi, Moss and the 25th for something in top ten....

or.... just... get....

TATAR!!

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:37 AM
tfong

Hmmm if we offered Keetly + Lombo, do you think we could move up and get Nazem or Kane?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:22 AM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Hmmm if we offered Keetly + Lombo, do you think we could move up and get Nazem or Kane?
Whos going to warm the pine next year when McE bolts for a team that will let him play more than 3 games a year and 2 games of mop up? Keets will be in calgary next year and warming the pine. I feel bad for him. Calgary is decent shape in the D department and Goalie Department. Dont forget Irving is in qc Has stolen the show and thunder from keets and we also have Lelande. Lelande was hurt at the beginning of the year and went to vegas who isnt the same vegas team from last year. Plus his father just passed and hes got to get his game back.

Calgary wont need to draft another G for 2 years.

Calgary needs to find a young scoring threat that could make the team possibly in the first year. nothing like a crosby or ovie but more of the Kane type. They will have to move up in the draft. They are going to have to. Because the fact that they will be drafting in the later part of the rounds for the next couple of years and those guys take 1-3 years to be ready. Crap look at Nystrom he was a top 10 and it still took a over a year and a half to make it and hes nothing to go write home about.

Chucko will be a 4th liner Greentree could be a 2nd line fill in but more than likely a 3-4th liner. they have nothing in the farm thats going to fill the role. Time to stop drafting western canadian grinder/power foward types. they need a scorer.

Snoil any good Germans to look for?

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:23 AM
PIMking

Besides what kind of deal are you going to get for an unprooven AHL goaltender? really?

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
tfong

If its riding the pine, I think we could either have Lalande or resign McE you know. Goalie positions are pretty scarce, I don't think Mac can go anywhere really yet.

I was just thinking that if we offer up lombo plus one of our good goalie prospects plus our pick we could move up and pick one of those two dynamic forwards.

So its more like 1st pick + lombo and/or keetly for a top 10 pick?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Snoil11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
So its more like 1st pick + lombo and/or keetly for a top 10 pick?
Won't be enough. The Kings had to use the Flames-pick (17th overall) and a late first-round pick (28th) to move up five spots in last year's draft, which was also a very talented one.