Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Official Swiss Hockey Fans Off-Topic Lounge

Old
01-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Eazy T

vCash: 500
Official Swiss Hockey Fans Off-Topic Lounge

All off-topic discussion for us Swiss goes here.

Please Discuss.

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 05:49 PM
koh19

what's going on in here fellas?

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 06:20 PM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

vCash: 50
Look at the video section on www.sf.tv and then search for the video called "Vorbereitung in Genf". Now you may have an idea what's going on here

bolt thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 06:36 PM
torero

Hesh di ovo huet sho kha ?

great to see some initiatives here ...

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 05:06 AM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt thrower View Post
Look at the video section on www.sf.tv and then search for the video called "Vorbereitung in Genf". Now you may have an idea what's going on here
don't get it...

Old
01-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Eazy T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt thrower View Post
I sort of get it.

anybody here like heavy metal?

Last edited by Eazy T: 01-03-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:10 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

There are not many successful on topic thread about Switzerland, so not sure an off topic one will go far...

But yeah, I like heavy metal

stv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Vodka_Tonic

i imagine games in langnau, bienne and lausanne might be fun... is it worth a trip? any metal bars there?

Vodka_Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:07 PM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
I sort of get it.

anybody here like heavy metal?
I like old school death metal and old school BM.

Old
01-14-2009, 03:54 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Lausanne sucks at hockey, don't bother with the game and go directly to a bar, the nightlife is great over there

Old
01-14-2009, 11:24 AM
koh19

Heard of the MAD (club) in Lausanne?

Old
01-15-2009, 05:35 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

The hangout for every would-be VIP in the area !

Old
01-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Vodka_Tonic

I do enjoy the abart in zurich, always some canadians there and people who like to talk NHL. mostly the music is quite decent as well.

i've heard of a pub in uznach, that is supposedly run by a canadian and shows NHL games on the big screen.
went to the snus once to watch a game, but they closed before the game was over... i LOLed a bit...

does anyone know of other pubs/bars that show games?

Vodka_Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka_Tonic View Post
I do enjoy the abart in zurich, always some canadians there and people who like to talk NHL. mostly the music is quite decent as well.

i've heard of a pub in uznach, that is supposedly run by a canadian and shows NHL games on the big screen.
went to the snus once to watch a game, but they closed before the game was over... i LOLed a bit...

nope!

Old
01-24-2009, 11:43 AM
koh19

who's everybody's favorite NHL team and NLA team?

Mine:

NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NLA: Fribourg-Gottéron

Old
01-24-2009, 05:52 PM
torero

NLA : SCB Forever
NHL : Ducks or Islanders ...

Old
01-24-2009, 06:29 PM
torero

Quote:

Pickwick's pub in Geneva ? but ... yeah ... Geneva!

Old
01-26-2009, 04:07 AM
Rafik Soliman
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
The Hooters in Zürich at the Helvetiaplatz does show NHL-Games....

But I don't know on what kind of screen, since I've never attended....

BTW,
NHL: Montreal Canadiens
NLA: Kloten Flyers

Rafik Soliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Swissfan79

Hi guys, i'm from Lugano, BTW it's my hometeam

My favourite NHL franchise are the Oilers, don't know why i falled in love with them with NHL 94 on the SNES and never changed...but i like too Detroit (so many euros!) and the others canadiens teams.

Metal rulz, i used to listen to Mayhem, Satyricon and others, lately i listen more "soft" music like Type O Negative or NIN or Pink Floyd.

Swissfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
vitogor

Hey guys, since you have an off-topic thread here, I have an off-topic question for you

I'll be visiting Switzerland in June. I'll be there for 4 days, and want to see as much of your beautiful country as possible. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of making Lucerne my home base so to speak (since it's centrally located), and then take day trips by train to other cities. Is that a good plan?

What are the must places to see/visit? Not neccessarily looking for the biggest tourist attractions, but places that you, as locals, would recommend I should visit. I'm not a hardcore outdoorsman, and I don't really care much about nightlife. I just like to sort of wander around with no purpose, and soak in the spirit and the charm of the places that I visit.

I'll appreciate any advice!

Last edited by vitogor: 04-19-2009 at 02:21 AM.
vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 06:55 AM
tycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
Hey guys, since you have an off-topic thread here, I have an off-topic question for you

I'll be visiting Switzerland in June. I'll be there for 4 days, and want to see as much of your beautiful country as possible. Any suggestions?
Hi vitogor! I'll do my best.

Quote:
I was thinking of making Lucerne my home base so to speak (since it's centrally located), and then take day trips by train to other cities. Is that a good plan?
I'm not very often in Lucerne and can't remember what the train connections there are like, but using the train in Switzerland is generally a very good idea as the public transport is excellent. The best train connections to other cities are certainly available in Zürich as it is the home of the biggest and most important train station in Switzerland - the Zürich Hauptbahnhof (Zürich HB) [1]. So it may be a good idea to make Zürich your home base, but it really depends on what you want to see and how long you are willing to ride a train to see it. So it would probably be a good idea to decide which cities you want to see first. You may want to take a look at the website of the SBB [2] (the national railway company), as it allows you to check out the train connections between two arbitrary cities and may help you to decide which is your preferred starting point for your trips.

Quote:
What are the must places to see/visit? Not neccessarily looking for the biggest tourist attractions, but places that you, as locals, would recommend I should visit. I'm not a hardcore outdoorsman, and I don't really care much about nightlife. I just like to sort of wander around with no purpose, and soak in the spirit and the charm of the places that I visit.

As I live in Zürich I can give you much more information about it than of the rest of Switzerland, but I hope someone else is able to cover the other cities.

Zürich
  • Bahnhof Strasse [5] - If you are interested in shopping this is probably the place to go. It is, as the old town, easily reachable from the Zürich HB. It is very famous for it's expensive and exclusive stores and is usually full of people.
  • The Old Town and the Lake [3] - I think it's one of the most beautiful parts of Zürich. A lot of the buildings are very old, the Lindenhof, a beautiful place when the weather is good, was probably already inhabited 1500 b.c. It is all easily walkable by foot and there is a lot to see. For example the Grossmünster, the Fraumünster, Cabaret Voltaire (the place Dadaism was invented), the place where Lenin lived during his time in Switzerland or the Rathaus. You may also want to take a tour with a ship on lake Zürich (for example to Rapperswil-Jona, a very beautiful, small city!), chances are it is already included in your train ticket. The best thing would be to ask the salesperson when you are getting the ticket, I don't know too much about those ticket matters.
  • Üetliberg [6] - It's a mountain right next to Zürich. If the weather is good it's a beautiful place to walk and enjoy the view on the Alps and the whole of Zürich. There is a planetary walk, a 10 kilometer or something walk along the ridge of Üetliberg with models of the planets along the way.
  • The Zoo [4] - There are some interesting things to see, if you belong to the people who enjoy to go to the zoo. For example there is the "Masoala Rainforest", it is a hall with over 42 different types of animals native to Madagascar freely walking, flying and swimming around. You can walk along the path through the hall and observe them. But you need a good eye and a lot of patience to see the Lemurs or the Chameleon. Note that it is pretty warm and humid in there! This is especially unpleasant in the winter when all the people have a lot of clothes on, but it shouldn't be a problem in June.
There are certainly a ton of other good places to visit in Zürich alone. But these came first to my mind.

I hope someone native to the other regions of Switzerland come up with things to see in their regions. If not I will have a shot, but it wouldn't be based on experience and probably not more enlightening than anything you'd find on the net.
You may also want to take a look at http://wikitravel.org/en/Switzerland and http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/ for other Ideas.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zürich_Hauptbahnhof
[2] http://sbb.ch/en/index.htm
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_1_(Z%C3%BCrich)
[4] http://www.zoo.ch/xml_1/internet/en/...tion/f1537.cfm
[5] http://www.bahnhofstrasse-zuerich.ch...t.php?idcat=84
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Üetliberg

tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 07:23 AM
koh19

Lucern is very nice, spent a day there.
Geneva is also very beautiful, has a huge a$$ water "spray", very touristy
Bern is also cool

Old
04-19-2009, 03:11 PM
TheFirstSaviour

Hey guys.

Anyone know what Swiss channels are showing the World Championships starting this Friday? Has a television schedule been released on the internet?

NHL: Vancouver
NLA: Bern

TheFirstSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 01:50 AM
vitogor

Tycho, thank you very much for the info! I was considering to stay in Zurich, but then decided to go to a smaller, less touristy place, so I picked Lucern. Plus, hotels were cheaper there I'll definitely spend a day in Zurich though, lots of things to see as I understand. I think I'll spend my last day+night there, before heading home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19
Lucern is very nice, spent a day there.
Geneva is also very beautiful, has a huge a$$ water "spray", very touristy
Bern is also cool
My problem is that every city I read about sounds either "very nice" or "cool", so I can't make up my mind

Given that I spend one day in Lucern, and one in Zurich, where should I go for my other two days? Bern? Geneva? Lausanne? Lugano? Basel? Other?

Or maybe I should just go to the train station, pick the first available train and surprise myself Because really, from everything I know about Switzerland so far, it sounds like anywhere you go, you'll end up in some awesome place.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 03:27 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:

Lucerne is charming, definitely a must see. Good choice to start from there. From the biggest cities, give Zurich and Bern a try, both have really nice old towns. Basle doesn't offer as much and Lausanne and Geneva, though nice places, are probably not worth the long trip from Lucerne. A must see is the Italian speaking part, so definitely plan a trip to Bellinzona and Lugano, both are gorgeous places. Then you of course need to go to some mountain places, and I think that from Lucerne the most convenient place to go is the Interlaken area.

Maybe it's too much to fit in a four days trip. Are you there for 4 full days or is that including the day arrival and departure days?