HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade idea

Old
01-05-2009, 07:08 AM
crystal ball

vCash: 500
Trade idea

I was looking at the Penguins salary structure the other day and noticed they've got 28 million tied up in four guys. With a potential cap drop next season and an almost certain cap drop for the following year, and Jordan Staal coming off his entry-level contract this summer, I wonder if it's possible to make a trade for him. I think he's under appreciated as the third-line centre in Pittsburgh, but he's got heart, size, skill at both ends of the rink and he can skate. Looking at Montreal's situation with the looming loss of Saku Koivu within the next couple of seasons, Gainey's got to be thinking of acquiring a centre. Maxwell is promising, but not proven to have first-line centre ability. Staal could do great things for the Habs, and they'd have the cap flexibility to sign him as an RFA.

Two questions stand out though. Would Pittsburgh part with him? And what would it take to get him? Considering the need the Pens have for solid wingers for Crosby, perhaps they'd give up Staal to fill that need. To that end, the Habs have a lot of talented wingers in the Kostitsyns, Higgins, D'Agostini and Pacioretty. Of those, I'd give up either Higgins or Sergei Kostitsyn. Either would hurt to let go, but for Staal, it'd be worth it. Higgins would replace Staal's PK ability for the Pens, as well as offer speed and hard work on Crosby's wing. As an RFA, he can be signed to a decent long-term deal, but wouldn't cost what Staal will for them to retain. Sergei also offers good two-way play and speed and a good shot. He'd be able to finish for Crosby, but also relieve him of some of his playmaking burden. Also RFA, he'd be part of their team for a long time, likely at a pretty conservative salary to start. Of course, Staal would be worth more than just one of those guys, so Gainey might have to give up both of them, or one plus a defence prospect like O'Byrne and maybe a pick or two.

I think Staal would be a great aquisition for Montreal, and worth giving up some current roster value. What do you think?

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:21 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I think a trade for a center could come in the offseason. Unless either Pleks or Lang were involved in the deal during the season, we would be left with 4 top 9 centers. In the offseason, Lang will go off to free agency (or retire?) Saku Koivu will start aging and we have Plekanec. We either play any combo of Maxwell, Chipchura, Lapierre on our bottom 6 or sign/trade for another center.

Just IMO

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:30 AM
HotHabsFan*

2 things, there will be NO cap drop next season this has been said many times its the following year, second Montreal will not trade Lang after signing him as a free agent in the offseason, we have enough troubles attracting FA's, theres not a snowballs chance in hell that he will be trading one !
ih yeah i forgot, why the NO respect for Lang ? he is your second best point getter on the team and you are talking about him retiring, holy **** the Habs are in trouble !

Last edited by HotHabsFan*: 01-05-2009 at 07:40 AM.
HotHabsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
2 things, there will be NO cap drop next season this has been said many times its the following year, second Montreal will not trade Lang after signing him as a free agent in the offseason, we have enough troubles attracting FA's, theres not a snowballs chance in hell that he will be trading one !
ih yeah i forgot, why the NO respect for Lang ? he is your second best point getter on the team and you are talking about him retiring, holy **** the Habs are in trouble !
The Habs traded a second round pick to Chicago in exchange for Robert Lang, who was already signed at the time.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:53 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the finnish flash View Post
The Habs traded a second round pick to Chicago in exchange for Robert Lang, who was already signed at the time.
I still think it'd be a bad PR move to trade someone who just came to Montreal.. especially after the dedication he showed after being traded.

Not to mention, he's one of our leading scorers.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I still think it'd be a bad PR move to trade someone who just came to Montreal.. especially after the dedication he showed after being traded.

Not to mention, he's one of our leading scorers.
I'm not arguing with that, I was just correcting a factual mistake. And Gainey has to much class to do something like that anyway.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:09 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the finnish flash View Post

yep my bad, and the worst part is i was correcting someone no more than a month ago.. and Natey is absolutely correct ! not a chance in hell

Old
01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
crystal ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn3 View Post
I think a trade for a center could come in the offseason. Unless either Pleks or Lang were involved in the deal during the season, we would be left with 4 top 9 centers. In the offseason, Lang will go off to free agency (or retire?) Saku Koivu will start aging and we have Plekanec. We either play any combo of Maxwell, Chipchura, Lapierre on our bottom 6 or sign/trade for another center.

Just IMO
Oh, I agree about the timing. My question wasn't about when as much as it is about whether Staal could be a possibility for Montreal...and what you think the chances are Gainey could swing a deal for a guy like that.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:38 AM
HotHabsFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
Oh, I agree about the timing. My question wasn't about when as much as it is about whether Staal could be a possibility for Montreal...and what you think the chances are Gainey could swing a deal for a guy like that.

once he gets the cobwebs off his cell phone...

Old
01-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

There is no doubt in my mind that I'd love Staal on this team. In Pittsburgh, he's third center asking to play in a checking role. What a waste! When Crosby went down, he took over as an offensive center and did extremely well. He'd be great here in Montreal because he plays well in both zones and would be given a more offensive role. I like his size as well.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Noldo

Unless Penguins continue to struggle big time, Staal won't be traded during the season, no team is willing to make offer that would make Pens to trade him. Also, any trade possibility is naturally based on the asumption that Pens and Staal can not agree on extension. If they can find common ground, Staal will stay.

If Pens continue to struggle (and I mean seriously hovering below playoffsline around trade deadline), moving Staal could be possible. Enven in that case Pittsburgh is better of keeping Staal, unless they are getting true top line winger at least in return. For Montreal to get Staal at that point team would probably has to offer Kostisyn, and I mean Andrei, not Sergei. Just face the facts, Penguins has no need to trade Staal and they are always going for the cup, so trade would have to make Pens better already this season.

The interesting time arrives on most likely around draft day. Provided that Staal is still unsigned at that point, Pittsburgh has to consider the option of trading him. His is RFA to be and without necessary experience allowing him to be taken into arbitration, so if Jordan wants to see his worth in market, it is totally up to him.

So there will be two venues concerning Jordan Staal: trading for him or RFA offer sheet. Just remember, based on this season, Lowe would have been genius had Buffalo not matched that offer sheet to Vanek.

Now, concerning the offer sheet first. Big contracts signed last summer + many teams operating close to higher cap this season have most likely guranteed, that average salaries and corresponding the compensation levels for offer sheets will be up from last season (even if Cap stay on the same level or even decreases a bit, offer sheet are not based on revenues but on salaries). Most likely an offer on 1st & 3rd or 1st, 2nd and 3rd range could already be quite tought one for Penguins to match (based on previous numbers, I would assume that high point for 1st & 3td will be a bit over 4 million [last year 3,923 million] while 1st, 2bd & 3rd will cover salaries at least up to 5,5 million [last year 5,231 million]. With Pens salary structure, they would be quite hard pressed if Staal would be offered 4,5 million or 5 million for next five years (good deal if he truly becomes even dominant 2nd line center [think Rod Brind'Amor], great if he becomes 1st line center and poor if he actually is 3rd line defensive center).

Now, Pens should be aware of all that I have wrote above and additionally they would know what kind of money Staal is trying to get. If Jordan is really looking for 4+ million, the trade could be more interesting option (after all, 1st, 2nd & 3rd as 25th/55th/85th pick are probably worse return than couple of young top-6 forwards signed for good contracts). Unfortunately, Pens and Montreal are looking at fighting against each other for Eastern crown for years to come, so if team on West offers equal package, I would assume Staal would be changing coast.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:04 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I've always been a fan of Staal. Jordan being my favorite. I see him having so much potential to be a huge offensive force only to be shoved in a corner and told to play a Defensive D. Its not his style, and I feel he'd fit perfect here. Pittsburgh wouldn't let him go without milking us dry. Top prospects would definitely be at stake seeing as how they pissed all of theirs away for Hossa. Not to mention a first, and probably a Defensive Roster forward to fill the void staal left.

Needless to say I'd be surprised if everything we gave up would come up to be worth it in the end. I'm Just spit balling here, but I would hazzard to Guess that the Management of Pittsburgh doesn't value prospects like we do. And with that said the price for Staal would be either ridiculous, or reasonable. My only reasoning behind this is because of their careless push to get Hossa, a rental, they gave away a fair amount of players. It still never sat well with me.

Anyway thats my take on it.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote