HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Renney Tinkering Again

Old
01-05-2009, 06:23 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Oh for the love of God. I actually really liked the lines he put together for the Islanders game and think he should keep them together for 5-10 games. But the thing that bugs me the most about this? Prucha has success on his off wing. Has in the past, has since he returned him there.

Other players are effing up. So what does he do? He moves Prucha. STOP it.

Hey Tom, the problem is with your STRATEGY, not the line combos. Fire Renney. I'm on the Laviolette bandwagon myself.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:22 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
Probably Renney's way of getting Voros back in the line up when this change doesn't work out...
Bingo. He only sat Voros to light a fire under him and was undermined by Prucha's efforts (and results) of late. So he is going to put him with the other 2 smallest Rangers and away from the other 2 hardest workers that he was getting results with. He'll catch Drury's minus-2-for-the-night disease and get benched for Voros next game.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Garfinkel1

Naslund-Gomez-Cally
Prucha-Dubi-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Korpedo

these should be the top 3 lines if he wants cally on the first line.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Balej20*

Well Renney couldn't have Prucha playing on a line where he was scoring, so let's put him with the human offensive void, Drury. 2 game of that line not doing a thing and Prucha will be sitting in the press box again.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:29 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Such stupidity.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:41 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Renney goes to the old tried and true eh?

Change the lines up.

Aww shucks.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Renney goes to the old tried and true eh?

Change the lines up.

Aww shucks.
What's he supposed to do?

This guy is damed if he do or damned if he don't around here.

01-05-2009, 08:45 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

The problem is that his solution for everything is a) focus MORE on defense and b) switch up the lines. So the reaction you're seeing is that he's damned if he keeps on doing the same thing and expecting different results. The definition of insanity. Leave the dang line combos together for more than two games in a row and fix what's really wrong.

Could it be maybe, just maybe that the problem is he's abandoned the up tempo attacking style that the team was constructed to play? Could the answer possibly be allowing the players to be more aggressive on offense?

Old
01-05-2009, 08:48 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Leave the dang line combos together for more than two games in a row.

The problem is that his solution for everything is a) focus MORE on defense and b) switch up the lines.

Could it be maybe, just maybe that he's abandoned the up tempo attacking style that the team was constructed to play? Could the answer possibly be allowing the players to be more aggressive on offense?
You can't control goal scoring. But you can control awareness to defense. This team has not shown the ability to score on a consistent basis. And tonight they are playing a team they get into a shootout (don't mean the period after OT) with.

The guy has fouir of his top 6 forwards who are enigmatic and far from consistent. And that has been a knock on Gomez, Drury and Zherdev their entire careers. Add in Dubinsky going through a sophmore slump and what choice does he have?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Vitto79

in all honesty the new lines were not resulting in wins so go ahead and mix it up again..........yea i know its frustrating

bad feeling about this team right now..........change is needed

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:50 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
You can't control goal scoring. But you can control awareness to defense. This team has not shown the ability to score on a consistent basis. And tonight they are playing a team they get into a shootout (don't mean the period after OT) with.
The solution to lack of goal scoring is NOT increased focus on defense. And increasing focus on defense makes it that much harder to score. This is exactly the problem I'm talking about.

Old
01-05-2009, 08:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The solution to lack of goal scoring is NOT increased focus on defense. And increasing focus on defense makes it that much harder to score. This is exactly the problem I'm talking about.
So focus more on scoring goals at the expense of defensive awareness? I think 13 short handed goals against might show the flaw in that thinking.

Old
01-05-2009, 08:59 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

Personally, i have always been against changing lines so often. I've been saying it for years.

This is nothing new. He does what he does, thats fine, maybe its the right move for tonight.

But again, I'd like a little more patience in this area, especially when your moving a guy out of a position whos got 2 goals in 2 games and has been one of the best forwards.

But like i said - awww shucks. And believe me, there are plenty of other things he could do, but thats going to get us into the same pissing match.

Old
01-05-2009, 09:03 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
So focus more on scoring goals at the expense of defensive awareness? I think 13 short handed goals against might show the flaw in that thinking.
13 SHG has nothing to do with the correct forecheck game for this squad...

Old
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
13 SHG has nothing to do with the correct forecheck game for this squad...
And there's nothing to say that a team that is defensively responsible can't forecheck.

Old
01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Just tinkering? I was thinking more along the lines of freaking ******** the bed..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
And there's nothing to say that a team that is defensively responsible can't forecheck.
Exactly, i agree.

The Rangers played a pretty damn good defensive game in Washington IMO. It was the other end of the ice that was the problem. That starts with the deployment of forecheckers, not one on the puck but two - the right way. When guys like Drury are always above the faceoff circle, making sure they are staying high, no wonder they get little to no shots from the slot area, because they arent supporting as well as they do on defense.

Old
01-05-2009, 09:09 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Well, we're down to sixth place now. By the end of this week, I would not be shocked if we were lower than that. Let him change the lines all he wants, the fact is no matter what combinations he puts out there, the results aren't likely to be dramatically different.

This team is heavily flawed and heading in the wrong direction, no matter what the lines are.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Fletch

Suki...

if those are potential PP lines, then it's even worse. They are horrible PP combos.

I mentioned in another thread (out of place) - I'm not a fan of these lines. On one hand, I can't fault Renney too much because this IS what he has to work with. On antoher hand, I feel that at a minimum players should be in positions in which they've had the most success in the past and in which they are most comfortable. I thought Korps coming down the right side and cutting to the left was his most comfortable position. I think Prucha on the left has been his most comfortable position. If nothing else, just switch those two to be in the right position. This has been a problem with the Rangers since way before Renney, but Renney does continue the trend of both playing players out of role and out of position.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:32 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

The Debbies had horrible lines at the beginning of the season.

The coach stuck with them all year regardless of how they played...at some point they all started clicking and now they are considered playoff contenders again...

**Sigh**

Just un real about the line tinkering.

Poor Pru...the guy plays great at LW...scores in two games that he is in. The only player who is out there banging like he should be and then he gets stuck on that right wing spot with two of the slower forwards we have. How do you give a guy a shot at sustainability by moving him around?

Last edited by MikeyLikesHockey: 01-05-2009 at 09:40 AM.
MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:14 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Forget it.

People think that by changing coaches this teams scoring problems and the rest of it's issues will magically dissipate.

The plain and simple fact is this team doesn't have a legit, consistent goal scorer.

They also forget their assignments in the neutral zone and defensive zone, and that results in goals against. A.k.A. not paying attention to detail.

Renney is correct, you can not expect to score 5 goals per game, if you are letting up an average of 4 goals per game, you are going to lose more then you win.

If you control the bleeding, you can give your self a chance to score a couple of goals and get wins.

People want a wide open style of hockey when we don't have the firepower to do it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:21 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Forget it.

People think that by changing coaches this teams scoring problems and the rest of it's issues will magically dissipate.

The plain and simple fact is this team doesn't have a legit, consistent goal scorer.

They also forget their assignments in the neutral zone and defensive zone, and that results in goals against. A.k.A. not paying attention to detail.

Renney is correct, you can not expect to score 5 goals per game, if you are letting up an average of 4 goals per game, you are going to lose more then you win.

If you control the bleeding, you can give your self a chance to score a couple of goals and get wins.

People want a wide open style of hockey when we don't have the firepower to do it.
The common misconception of the hockey most of us Renney detractors want the Rangers to play is that its a "wide open style" or getting into a "track meet" as Renney likes to say.

Thats not the kind of hockey they should be employing. What you are saying is true, they dont have the big sniper, but what they do have are players who can play an uptempo forecheck game that generates chances by getting to the net. Its tough to get to the net when the 2nd and third forwards are always worried about being high in the zone and the defenseman have little or no screens in front or options down low.

You can play an umptempo game without sacrificing defense. We saw it early this season but Renneys balls shrunk back into his mangina. Listen, theres no question that certain players should be producing more, and with that others will follow, but I think part of the problem stems from their mindset of playing not to lose, which essentially boils down to a defensive 1-2-2 game trying to win 2-1. For a team full of midgets thats not the way to go out and play. They have the force the issue and have the opponent come to them, not the other way around.

They were talking about how Ovechkin wants to be the hunter and not the hunted. Same thing applies for a team. A mindset goes a long way, that has a lot to do with how a coach approaches the team.

For me, you have to attack the other team. Currently its a half-assed effort all around because of the shyness of their system. It might work with the bigger players and power forwards, but not this team. Would it really be any worse than how they are playing now? Uninspired, listless hockey?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-05-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old
01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Remember the SJ game where we controlled the game for about 10 minutes or so of the third period? These guys just won't put in a consistent effort.

Not surprising considering the floating playing styles of a decent amount of our guys like Gomez, Drury, Naslund..I've never seen anyone of them put in a Prucha shift.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:41 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Unbelievable.

Now Korpikoski is out for Voros.

One of the only bright spots lately up front and he takes him out..

How about sitting Drury and putting Korpikoski at center? dont you think that would send a better message if "It’s a matter of getting Voros in and I had to move someone. It’s as simple as that.”"

How about Gomez???

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Old
01-05-2009, 11:18 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

this is about as dumb a move as we've seen yet...makes absolutely no friggin sense.
take out one of the few guys who have played with any desperation and physicality over the past month and put in voros who was out for "conditioning reasons" halfway through the season (wtf is that about anyway?) And the explaination is he needs voros to cure his power play woes...uhm really? what exactly has voros done on the power play anyway? His big body in front doesnt really amount to much when guys are taking slap shots from center ice on the power play. I agree 100% that either gomez or dru should sit if renney feels so strongly about Voros' game, korps deserves to play which is a hell of alot more thani can say for gomez.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote