Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

This is how rumours get started.....

Old
01-02-2009, 07:41 PM
JorgeRocks!

vCash: 500
This is how rumours get started.....

Watching the first intermission of the Russia Czech game on TSN, and they showed a clip of sutter and brian burke sitting besides each other and talking in the stands. (James Duthie actually said this is how rumours get started to haha.) Could be nothing but.... Burke was previously on the broadcast saying the team wants to acquire picks, seeing how they do not have picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds of this years draft, and that he is not getting real good offers now, and that he will probably move players closer to the deadline when their value will be higher. We need a d man so would Mike van Ryan be a possibility. He is hurt now, and missed a lot of last year, but he played the most minutes of his career when keenan was coaching in florida, and the second most minutes the year keenan was gm in florida. he has a cap hit of 2.9 million for this year and next, and he turns 30 in may.
I wouldn't mind having him around, maybe for a low round pick that would turn into a higher pick if he can stay healthy.

Thoughts???

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 08:44 PM
GoFlames

Hmmm interesting and Anaheim was involved in Sutters first round trades at the draft. That said an injury prone player is a risk. If the Flames could swing it and all I would prefer Kaberle... think he is paid around what Aucoin gets and he seems a better playoff guy... maybe not curious what Sutter might do at the deadline.

I would be afraid to touch the offence as they are scoring great now.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Hmm not many players from the Leafs I'd really be interested in. Obviously a guy like Kaberle would be a great addition, but the cost for him would probably be quite a bit. Going with the other thread a big guy like Antropov might be tempting to Sutter. Having a good year and could be a number 2 center. Lastly Matt Stajan interests me, but I'm not sure he is a guy Sutter would target.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:08 PM
JorgeRocks!

Yes i would prefer kaberle to, and his cost must have gone down from last year, (Jeff Carter and a 1rst rounder), but the only reason i list van Ryan is because of the Keenan factor, much like Adrian Aucoin.

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Oblivion

Has anyone considered that Burke and Sutter were scouting the Russian or Czech players?

...yeah, I doubt it as well

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 10:34 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Has anyone considered that Burke and Sutter were scouting the Russian or Czech players?

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 12:53 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:

Nah friends talking to each other? Has to be more to it than that. Whenever I see two men talking to each other I know they're discussing wife swapping or some other kind of transaction.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 01:47 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:

Nah probably talking about Lowe and how bad the oilers are.

But really these GM's talk to each other probably every day. I'm definetly not expecting a leafs/flames trade anytime soon.

Old
01-03-2009, 01:57 AM
DylanM

Quote:

DylanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 02:01 AM
abracanada

I wouldn't be surprised to see something get done. Burke is on record saying he is going to assess his team first, then in the new year, start making some trades.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor081201.html

If Burke is looking at dismantling that Toronto team and his top scorers are all being made available like the article suggests, why wouldn't Sutter be in there pitching for the Flames?

Sutter has been pursuing hot defensive prospects since the offseason with the overtures made towards Redden. If he has a crack at Kaberle, why not? Especially since he only costs a little over 4 million. With Aucoin's salary potentially coming off the books next year, to pursue Kaberle would be the smart thing to do don't you think?

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 08:28 PM
scoringmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see something get done. Burke is on record saying he is going to assess his team first, then in the new year, start making some trades.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor081201.html

If Burke is looking at dismantling that Toronto team and his top scorers are all being made available like the article suggests, why wouldn't Sutter be in there pitching for the Flames?

Sutter has been pursuing hot defensive prospects since the offseason with the overtures made towards Redden. If he has a crack at Kaberle, why not? Especially since he only costs a little over 4 million. With Aucoin's salary potentially coming off the books next year, to pursue Kaberle would be the smart thing to do don't you think?
Ever since the trade for Brad Stuart, Sutter has been more careful who we has on his team not make the same type of trade again.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 08:49 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
Ever since the trade for Brad Stuart, Sutter has been more careful who we has on his team not make the same type of trade again.

Kaberle would be much easier to swing than Bouwmeister. Sutter keeps swinging trying to bring in another defender like he did with Hamrlik. Kaberle is much the same type. Now that would be a great accompaniment for Phaneuf.

Old
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Lunatik*

I would love to have Kaberle as a Flame... he is one of the few guys I would be willing to give up Backlund, a pick & a roster player for

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2009, 11:53 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I would love to have Kaberle as a Flame... he is one of the few guys I would be willing to give up Backlund, a pick & a roster player for
Giving up on Backlund would be difficult. The first real high skill forward the Flames have drafted in the first round in some time. But, it if means putting the Flames over the top for the playoffs, I just might do it.

On the positive side, the Flames are outscoring the Penguins right now. Do they need a lot more scoring punch? People got attached to the idea of bringing in a scorer or holding onto the offensive prospects at all costs. It is not the only way to win. I believe Backlund is gonna be a player, and a very good one some day. But when you get a chance to put your team over the top, you jump at it.

I think I would want more if the pick was fairly high and the roster player was decent. Maybe Antropov would be a nice addition.

Old
01-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Abonics

Burke has stated that he wants a fighter...I wonder if Sutter would move Roy in a minor deal, or include him as part of a larger package? Roy hasn't brought anything to this team, and I think we wouldn't have too hard of a time replacing his average of 6 minutes of icetime...and THREE fights all season.

Obviously trading him alone wouldn't lead to much in the way of a return, but he might be a piece that Burke would be interested in some sort of package deal.

Abonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
flamesfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abonics View Post
Burke has stated that he wants a fighter...I wonder if Sutter would move Roy in a minor deal, or include him as part of a larger package? Roy hasn't brought anything to this team, and I think we wouldn't have too hard of a time replacing his average of 6 minutes of icetime...and THREE fights all season.

Obviously trading him alone wouldn't lead to much in the way of a return, but he might be a piece that Burke would be interested in some sort of package deal.
I disagree. He has been huge in the locker room and has actually played pretty well. May not be the best fighter, but he can play the game and hold his own. Also one of the guys who isn't afraid to step up in the dressing room and hold guys accountable.

Old
01-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Grannys

^ Roy could definitely be added within a package deal and I agree that he hasnt really done much for the Flames.

But giving up Backlund... for that we would need to get something big in return. After watching Backlung in the Junior champioships I have no doubt he will make a nice impact on the team he plays with in the future.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Grannys

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
I disagree. He has been huge in the locker room and has actually played pretty well. May not be the best fighter, but he can play the game and hold his own. Also one of the guys who isn't afraid to step up in the dressing room and hold guys accountable.
Thats definitely good and much needed but if he can be added to a package to get something good in return I would rather get rid of him that a lot of the other flames.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Abonics

Quote:
But do you really think removing him from the locker room would have a huge impact? I think the flames are a strong enough club to deal with the removal of a marginal player, even if everyone likes him.

Lots of guys can play the game, the flames have enough of them in their system to replace Roy if he is moved...and if moving him as part of a package can add a player who helps the team i doubt you'd hear any complaints.

Old
01-04-2009, 09:11 PM
flamesfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abonics View Post
But do you really think removing him from the locker room would have a huge impact? I think the flames are a strong enough club to deal with the removal of a marginal player, even if everyone likes him.

Lots of guys can play the game, the flames have enough of them in their system to replace Roy if he is moved...and if moving him as part of a package can add a player who helps the team i doubt you'd hear any complaints.
I was merely stating that Roy does indeed bring something to the team and isn't useless like you implied.

And what are you expecting back from Roy if he was traded? Definetly don't think he has much trade value right now.

Old
01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Abonics

Quote:
I was merely stating that Roy does indeed bring something to the team and isn't useless like you implied.

And what are you expecting back from Roy if he was traded? Definetly don't think he has much trade value right now.
i agree that he has limited value...which is why i suggested some sort of package. he'd be a minor part of the package, but if Burke wants a fighter I could see Roy being part of the deal.