HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney Tinkering Again

Old
01-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
getting a pick for Prucha is better than getting nothing and watching him go back in the doghouse. He'd barely get a pick - he's essentially a rental (I think he's RFA at the end of the season, but who would qualify him to retain his rights?). I still don't understand how Renney goes from "I've seen enough" when referred to benching Prucha the last time to him being back in the lineup - and for a third straight game!

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
The common misconception of the hockey most of us Renney detractors want the Rangers to play is that its a "wide open style" or getting into a "track meet" as Renney likes to say.

Thats not the kind of hockey they should be employing. What you are saying is true, they dont have the big sniper, but what they do have are players who can play an uptempo forecheck game that generates chances by getting to the net. Its tough to get to the net when the 2nd and third forwards are always worried about being high in the zone and the defenseman have little or no screens in front or options down low.

You can play an umptempo game without sacrificing defense. We saw it early this season but Renneys balls shrunk back into his mangina. Listen, theres no question that certain players should be producing more, and with that others will follow, but I think part of the problem stems from their mindset of playing not to lose, which essentially boils down to a defensive 1-2-2 game trying to win 2-1. For a team full of midgets thats not the way to go out and play. They have the force the issue and have the opponent come to them, not the other way around.

They were talking about how Ovechkin wants to be the hunter and not the hunted. Same thing applies for a team. A mindset goes a long way, that has a lot to do with how a coach approaches the team.

For me, you have to attack the other team. Currently its a half-assed effort all around because of the shyness of their system. It might work with the bigger players and power forwards, but not this team. Would it really be any worse than how they are playing now? Uninspired, listless hockey?
Ex-freakin-actly.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
getting a pick for Prucha is better than getting nothing and watching him go back in the doghouse. He'd barely get a pick - he's essentially a rental (I think he's RFA at the end of the season, but who would qualify him to retain his rights?).
Exactly. That is why I doubt Pru is showcased. He is not tradable at this point. He is what he became - a depth forward. Those are not every game players. He will be like that till the end of his current contract. He will be in press box by his choice, if he wanted to play hockey, then HFD would love to have him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I still don't understand how Renney goes from "I've seen enough" when referred to benching Prucha the last time to him being back in the lineup - and for a third straight game!
I do. Renney has a feeling he is getting canned and he is just buying himself some time. The only sense for him to continue his work was to get Sundin and try to buid or re-rebuild the NYR offense. His boss failed him. Second time, first Jagr, now Sundin. After that the only logical step for Sather would be to replace Renney. BOSSES RID OF THOSE THEY FAILED.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
NYR Viper

voros, IMO got off to a great start this season playing more minutes then he really ever has. I could tell he would tail off because as he played more games he seemed to lose steam and he seemed to get a little tired. This is a guy who predominantly played on the 3rd or 4th line for most of his NHL career. IMO renney needs to either ease him into more time or give him a game off here and there in order for him to recover because the type of game he plays he needs a TON of energy in order to battle and be effective. He isnt a perimeter player which means he is always in the high-traffic battle zones and is always getting in on the forecheck, which is what he needs to do to be effective, but also saps a lot of energy.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:45 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
But Voros doesn't go to the net. Not always. That's the only way he's useful and he usually just skates around aimlessly. Like I said before, he's a nuisance, not a distraction. Oh and we're not in first place. We're in sixth.

I don't see it that way at all. The biggest reason why the Devils are doing better than the Rangers is that they have better players. Simple as that.
hmmm then it was kinda wierd that they played so bad at the beginning of the season, and without changing lines around tehy started to come around....kinda coincidental.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:55 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I still don't get why Renney would split Dubi, Z, & Prucha.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Well i'd like to see Zherdev pick it up tonight for sure.

Its pretty simple with Z, if hes skating things happen. When hes going 80% he gives the puck away and gets knocked off the puck.

Keep skating fella and you'll be alright tonight.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:27 PM
NYR Viper

Look for zherdev to have a BIG game tonight playing against malkin

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Fletch

PruBlue...

one explanation is to see if he can rekindle some of that magic Voros had with Dubi and Zherdev earlier in the season, and another may be to see if Prucha gets Drury going and if Cally gets Gomez going.

Old
01-05-2009, 04:44 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
he can't stand seeing Prucha succeed

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
The common misconception of the hockey most of us Renney detractors want the Rangers to play is that its a "wide open style" or getting into a "track meet" as Renney likes to say.

Thats not the kind of hockey they should be employing. What you are saying is true, they dont have the big sniper, but what they do have are players who can play an uptempo forecheck game that generates chances by getting to the net. Its tough to get to the net when the 2nd and third forwards are always worried about being high in the zone and the defenseman have little or no screens in front or options down low.

You can play an umptempo game without sacrificing defense. We saw it early this season but Renneys balls shrunk back into his mangina. Listen, theres no question that certain players should be producing more, and with that others will follow, but I think part of the problem stems from their mindset of playing not to lose, which essentially boils down to a defensive 1-2-2 game trying to win 2-1. For a team full of midgets thats not the way to go out and play. They have the force the issue and have the opponent come to them, not the other way around.

They were talking about how Ovechkin wants to be the hunter and not the hunted. Same thing applies for a team. A mindset goes a long way, that has a lot to do with how a coach approaches the team.

For me, you have to attack the other team. Currently its a half-assed effort all around because of the shyness of their system. It might work with the bigger players and power forwards, but not this team. Would it really be any worse than how they are playing now? Uninspired, listless hockey?
best...post....EVER

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Ovens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Come on Prublue25, you really have to feel for the coach, he stuck Prucha in to show that he adds nothing and to give Voros a little kick, Prucha then plays his socks off and it screws coach's plans badly so he has to sit Korpedo as he really wants Voros back in, never fear Korpedo will be back in soon when Prucha fails to score on a line with captain crotch...

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
shoothepuck

It's a sad day when the benched kid has to inspire captain clutch to try and produce in Renney lala land

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:00 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

The tinkering worked last night.

I am by no means a Renney fan and do believe every squirrel gets a nut sometimes, we all know the negatives, he's not consistant as a coach in terms of how he coaches his players, he keeps playing vets that aren't showing how good they can play.

But a couple of positives from the tinkering.

1. Prucha got a point and Drury got a goal. If this continues, then that creates a very productive line.
2. If Voros can get his head out of his butt and plant it in front of the net , Dubi's line could pick up. (Voros' skating looked very good against the pens, compared to his last outings)
3. Redden is looking better out there, a bit meaner...hope he keeps it up.
4. The Gomez line looked better with Callahan on it, now Gomer needs to figure out how to get the puck to a streaking Cally.

On a bad note.
1. Z is looking kinda slow, wonder if he is playing injured or if he is just getting over his New Years hangover.
2. It seems all our acquisitions are looking tired. Maybe a couple games off will let them recharge their batteries, and get Korpedo back in the lineup , maybe even Fritche.

Credit is to be given where credit is due, even though I still don't like the coach.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:32 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesHockey View Post
The tinkering worked last night.

I am by no means a Renney fan and do believe every squirrel gets a nut sometimes, we all know the negatives, he's not consistant as a coach in terms of how he coaches his players, he keeps playing vets that aren't showing how good they can play.

But a couple of positives from the tinkering.

1. Prucha got a point and Drury got a goal. If this continues, then that creates a very productive line.
2. If Voros can get his head out of his butt and plant it in front of the net , Dubi's line could pick up. (Voros' skating looked very good against the pens, compared to his last outings)
3. Redden is looking better out there, a bit meaner...hope he keeps it up.
4. The Gomez line looked better with Callahan on it, now Gomer needs to figure out how to get the puck to a streaking Cally.

On a bad note.
1. Z is looking kinda slow, wonder if he is playing injured or if he is just getting over his New Years hangover.

2. It seems all our acquisitions are looking tired. Maybe a couple games off will let them recharge their batteries, and get Korpedo back in the lineup , maybe even Fritche.

Credit is to be given where credit is due, even though I still don't like the coach.
It helped that the penguins battle level wasn't very high last night.

The Rangers shot the puck at opportune times though, and they got to the net. I still saw 1 man in deep, but there was more support getting to that man, and quicker... especially on the Drury goal, even though Prucha went to the back of the net, he was deep in the zone - Thats precisely why Renney keeps him out. Prucha like to go deep more than Renney likes, but it resulted in a marvelous pass for the Drury goal.

Its kinda of a hybrid 1-2-2 where certain players will take advantage or "offensively pinch" to support the forechecker or recognize when to take the chance to get deep, when theres not a cycle already established. If the Rangers arent going to play a straight up forecheck game, this is the next best thing. But its certain players like Gomez, Zherdev, Drury Prucha, Dubi, etc... that have to make that happen and that happens when the team is skating and the other team is beaten to pucks because of that relentlessness. Renney might not employ a different system, but the players can tweak it themsleves, and Renney will allow that if its successful.

They played well last night, scored 3 and hit 2 posts. Gomezs goal doesnt count. I did see better play from Redden and Kalinin though, and that goes a long way. The thing is will they continue to play this way? Does the New Year suddenly jolt their system? That remains to be seen.

We can get all hunky-dory over one win, but i want to see the consistency from all areas, especially the veteran leaders of this team through to next week. They have to keep the foot on the pedal, and we'll see if the team, and more importantly Renney can help sustain that.

The one thing that is massively positive is Lundqvists first game of the year. that can only be good for the Rangers.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
It helped that the penguins battle level wasn't very high last night.
I don't care who the Rangers played last night, it was there best full effort and they beat the other team from head to toe in all ends of the ice.

01-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't care who the Rangers played last night, it was there best full effort and they beat the other team from head to toe in all ends of the ice.
Didn't you hear? We don't win games. The other team loses them.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:45 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Precisely, let's not forget that the Rangers have a tenancy to either make a tight game or lose to teams that they shouldn't. It was nice to see a clean win.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Didn't you hear? We don't win games. The other team loses them.
Well, then people must admit that the other team won it when we lose (at least once in the while). So far it is always "WE lost".

I didn't see the team effort any different than usual. We had BY FAR better goaltender. That is how we beat them. If Lundy is back (like last night) Renney's job could be spared.

Old
01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Well, then people must admit that the other team won it when we lose (at least once in the while). So far it is always "WE lost".

I didn't see the team effort any different than usual. We had BY FAR better goaltender. That is how we beat them. If Lundy is back (like last night) Renney's job could be spared.
That's my point. No credit for a win. All the blame for a loss. That's the M.O. around here.

The team effort was much better last night. It was only compounded by the solid performance by Lundqvist.

Old
01-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
That's my point. No credit for a win. All the blame for a loss. That's the M.O. around here.

The team effort was much better last night. It was only compounded by the solid performance by Lundqvist.
Agreed. 94, if you think the team effort was the same old same old last night you really havent been watching.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Agreed. 94, if you think the team effort was the same old same old last night you really havent been watching.
The team wasn't flat, but was far from being dominant. I take the win gladly, but do agree that PIT handed it to us. They look more and more like cabon copy of Bolts. Their coach is losing the team to Crosby

Old
01-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The team wasn't flat, but was far from being dominant. I take the win gladly, but do agree that PIT handed it to us.
I don't think they handed it to us, but they certainly weren't the team we all know they can be. Sometimes it takes a big win against a struggling team to get back on the right track.

Old
01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Fletch

trx....

Lundqvist was the key. Maybe he didn't have to be spectacular, but at the same time, when his game is on and his confidence is high, it appears as though the guys in front of him follow suit. I think we saw a lot of this in the late-90s. When Richter was giving up a soft goal here and there, the rest of the team seemed to slump. I think that's the case here to a certain extent.

I do believe that the team looked more organized and played harder, and I can't not throw away the notion that perhaps it helped that the team that came in was slumping, but in the end, if that's what helps this team's confidence in future games, then so be it, and two points is two points is two points. At the end of the season when they tally up the points to see who's in the playoffs they don't discount points gained against certain teams or in certain manners. I understand people are looking forward to determine how this team will do against better teams (although I think people are sitting here looking to the playoffs already and determining if this team can beat the Wings in the Stanley Cup). That's only natural, but perhaps this team shouldn't be compared against the Wings and we should look more at their position in the conference. PITT's #9 in the conference with 42 points, 9 behind the Rangers and only one game in hand - not a bad place to be for the Rangers 1/2 way into this...

Old
01-06-2009, 10:43 AM
94now

Quote:
I don't think they handed it to us, but they certainly weren't the team we all know they can be. Sometimes it takes a big win against a struggling team to get back on the right track.
I'm not sure about the latter. The single loss tomorrow will disprove it, while a few wins will make me think that way.