HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Visiting From Out of Town/Ticket Thread

Old
01-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Oh and, I wouldn't expect too much abuse to Rags fans. There should be enough there, that as long as you aren't too mouthy, you won't hear about it.

You might get one or two mean things said your way if the Rangers start winning.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 02:23 AM
LadyIce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghoul View Post
I guess Good Guys will be open 24 hours during that time!
Most likely. Before heading there, grab dinner and some superb beers across the street at Old Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
of those 3, I'd recommend Irish Channel if you don't want a crowd, La Tasca if you want something nice, or if you want standard bar fare, and don't mind a big crowd, Irish Channel.
Say hello to your mother for me.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I hope that text makes it on the screen!

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2009, 07:51 PM
blue68

Send a message via AIM to blue68
Thanks for the recommendations - we're looking forward to the game.

Quote:
of those 3, I'd recommend Irish Channel if you don't want a crowd, La Tasca if you want something nice, or if you want standard bar fare, and don't mind a big crowd, Irish Channel.

Say hello to your mother for me.
Hey - Are you sure you weren't responding to "mom"

blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Ovys Missing Tooth

All, I'm assuming that because this is labeled the "ticket thread" that we should discuss ticket sales/exchanges here.

Anyway, I'm looking for 2 tickets in the 400s for tomorrow night's game vs. Philly. If anyone's looking to sell their's, let me know via PM.

Thanks.

Ovys Missing Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:56 PM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
Hey guys,

I'm coming down for the game on the 17th from Boston. I plan on leaving Boston early afternoon. How do you think the traffic will be with Inaguration weekend on that Friday night after 8 or so?

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyguy14 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm coming down for the game on the 17th from Boston. I plan on leaving Boston early afternoon. How do you think the traffic will be with Inaguration weekend on that Friday night after 8 or so?
Hellish, awful, vomit-inducing, bang-your-head-on-your-steering-wheel type traffic.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Foy

Quote:
Hey guys,

There are all kinds of celebration around the city. They are expecting MILLIONS of people from out of town. I for one won't be going anywhere near the city that weekend.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:19 PM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
Hellish, awful, vomit-inducing, bang-your-head-on-your-steering-wheel type traffic.
Sounds like an average drive out of Boston everyday :biglaugh

Although I'm sure it'll be worse with the Millions of people.

Quote:
There are all kinds of celebration around the city. They are expecting MILLIONS of people from out of town. I for one won't be going anywhere near the city that weekend.
So even that late it'll be bad? My buddy lives in Arlington. I plan on getting there Friday night and not driving until I leave Sunday morning.

I heard they are keeping the bars open later, is this true? If so, bonus!

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Foy

There are more than 50 black-tie, limo driving, invitation only, type celebrations planned starting Thursday night. Between the limos, the road closure for setting stuff up, etc. etc., it's going to be insane. I won't be going anywhere near the city for a week before or after.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:58 PM
The Dude

Quote:

So even that late it'll be bad? My buddy lives in Arlington. I plan on getting there Friday night and not driving until I leave Sunday morning.

You should be fine. On Friday, traffic should be heavy, but not much worse than a typical Friday before a long weekend. Be sure to check for road and bridge closures if you are coming through the city.

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
The Ghoul

At 1am on the 20th, I395 and 66 will be closed to vehicular traffic. They are expecting between 2 million to 4 million people in D.C. that day.

The Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Regular DC traffic is supposedly 2nd worst in the country (to LA). So add 4 million people to that mess, and you'll have inauguration weekend.

Bars inauguration weekend in the District can be open for 24 hours, and can serve alcohol until 5 AM, last I heard. That could have changed, though.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:08 PM
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Regular DC traffic is supposedly 2nd worst in the country (to LA). So add 4 million people to that mess, and you'll have inauguration weekend.

Bars inauguration weekend in the District can be open for 24 hours, and can serve alcohol until 5 AM, last I heard. That could have changed, though.
I think it's been cut back to 4 AM

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
LadyIce

Quote:

For traffic, check WTOP 103.5 FM, they give traffic and weather every 10 minutes and their website should have any road closures posted.

Keep in mind that just because they say they're shutting down a road at say, 8:00 p.m. it can shut down much earlier as I experienced the night the Caps were at home and the G-20 Summit was up the street at the Building Museum. Roads that weren't even listed as being closed were blocked at 6:00 p.m. and they weren't supposed to close until 8 or 9.

Once the closures and detours are released, I'll post it here and if the Mods don't mind, I'll make a separate thread like I did before since closures could interfere with getting to and from the game and people may not know to look here for that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Yep, they backed it off to 4:00 a.m. since neighborhood groups and officials had a problem with the 5:00 a.m. time.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Destroyko

Hey all,

I'm going to be in town next week and by a happy coincidence my Oilers are playing there on Tuesday. Could you suggest the best way to scoop tickets? Scalpers/stubhub/box office? Probably looking for something lower bowl.

Thanks in advance. Absolutely thrilled to be getting my first live look at AO.

Destroyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:37 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyko View Post
Hey all,

I'm going to be in town next week and by a happy coincidence my Oilers are playing there on Tuesday. Could you suggest the best way to scoop tickets? Scalpers/stubhub/box office? Probably looking for something lower bowl.

Thanks in advance. Absolutely thrilled to be getting my first live look at AO.
Tuesday, Western Conf. team = probably not as tough to get tickets as many other games. You never know of course, start looking now to see what you can find.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

OT: Traveling to DC Area Jan 26 - Feb 13

Bruins fans here, I will be in Baltimore for training right near Camden Yards, but was thinking about checking out a Caps game or two.

Anybody have any input on how hard tickets are to get on game day (and about how much if possible). Best way to get there, or any insight on places to go around the ballpark.

Thanks in advance

Shane

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It can vary based on the opponent, but the Caps are playing to about 98 percent capacity on the season. Sellouts are a regular occurrence rather than the exception.

I'd reserve a seat(s) through the website/Ticketmaster or something, to be sure. Tickets range from about $25-$35 for an upper bowl seat to as high as the $200 range for stellar lower bowl seats. All brackets in between, though pickings are likely to be slim if you wait until game day. You can always find a friendly scalper, as well.

Best and easiest way to get there is to park in the suburbs (Vienna is a good one, Orange Line terminus) and then take the Metro downtown, but you can sometimes find parking around the arena if you do drive. The Verizon Center is right in Chinatown, immediately above the Red Line, Gallery Place/Chinatown metro stop. Tons of eating options in the immediate area, walking distance.

Last edited by Drake1588: 01-08-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:36 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Thanks, sorry for not noticing the huge thread for visitors.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
sk84fun_dc

What Drake said; also, if you are trying for a single ticket rather than a pair, you may be able to pick up a ticket closer to or on game day, but if you know now what game you want, you may want to purchase your ticket. It really depends on the game - weekday vs weekend, opponent, etc.

Getting from Baltimore for DC for a game: Will you have a car? There are some around here that travel from that area on game days, IIRC, so they can provide more info. If you won't have a car, MARC (Camden line, IIRC) and Amtrak are options to get to DC and switch to Metro at Union Station, but MARC doesn't run late enough for the return. Amtrak,if you buy in advance, it's not outrageous $s (and there are some discounts, like AAA, if purchased in advance.)

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
Bruins fans here, I will be in Baltimore for training right near Camden Yards, but was thinking about checking out a Caps game or two.

Anybody have any input on how hard tickets are to get on game day (and about how much if possible). Best way to get there, or any insight on places to go around the ballpark.

Thanks in advance

Shane
If you're staying in Baltimore, and have a car, I'd drive down I-95 to the Greenbelt Metro Station, and just take the Green line straight to Verizon (Gallery Place/Chinatown stop, as Drake said).

There's ample parking at the station, and it's better than trying to drive all the way into the district, IMO. Without traffic, its about a 30 minute drive and then a 25-30 minute Metro ride.

Directions: EDIT: Just realized the Google Maps directions were garbage. Just take I-95 South to the Beltway (I-495) split and take the Left ramp for I-95 S (towards Richmond, NOT Silver Spring). Then take Exit 24, and it takes you right to the station.

It would be in your best interests to try to get down as early as possible, otherwise traffic (even just driving to Greenbelt) will eat you up.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 01-08-2009 at 02:48 PM.
NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:16 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
It has. And Metro opens at 5:00 AM, can you imagine the mess that could be the Wednesday morning commute?

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
agold2121

Following the Caps to LI

Hey everyone, so my friend and I have tickets for the Caps/Isles game coming up monday, and we decided we're gonna go sunday and maybe head into NYC and check it out. My question is, does anyone know where the caps stay? We'd like to stay in the same hotel as them (we did this last year in Boston). I assume they stay in NYC but since theyre only playing the Isles and not the rangers and devils, perhaps theyll stay on Long Island? Thanks in advance.

agold2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
malyk

There is a hotel right next to the nassau colliseum. I've stayed there. I'd think it would make sense for the caps to stay there as well since it's so close, but who knows.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2009, 01:47 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
i have a bunch of tickets to the isles caps game on monday if any of you guys are intrested in making the trip up, ill sell them below face. email me at trueblue41@tmail.com if you need any or shoot me a pm

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote