HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC Thread

Old
01-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Feicht

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
No need to "Brule" him, but I think calling him up for a week AT LEAST until a few people get back from injury would be a good idea.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:38 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

A few posters on the main board believe Filatov is the equal of Tavares. That's saying a lot.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
The team seems to want Filatov to play the season out in Syracuse.

That being said.....

With the injuries this team has suffered, I wouldn't be surprised to see him do a 3 game stint up here till everyone comes back.
I agree and think Columbus will do everything they can to keep him under that 10 game limit so they don't lose a contract year.

Now if he is lights out the team has to keep him if they continue to win. Tough spot but a few games might let us know where that stands...

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Congrats to Canada, your team of goons is about to win gold, with alot of help from the refs and cheap shots to other team's star players.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Congrats to Canada, your team of goons is about to win gold, with alot of help from the refs and cheap shots to other team's star players.
Hahahaha try again, Timeless.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

You're right, I forgot to mention the classless fans.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Macster

Quote:
You're right, I forgot to mention the classless fans.
Man, I'm not sure you know what you are talking about. You've been whining for the whole tournament. It doesn't matter what result, you were going to root against and whine about the Canadian team.

Is it because your "team" crapped the bed? Is that getting you sour? Because guess what? Canada-US is a fierce rivalry. It's a shame you guys don't care because you'd do the same thing. The Finns do it to the Swedes and vice-versa, the Russians and Czechs do it to eachother.

You say that the Canadian team won because they played like "goons". Give me a damned break. You must have miscounted the amount of penalties Sweden took. Undiscilpined penalties. Backlund's goonery is what cost the game for the Swedes, plain and simple. You want to talk about cheap shots? How about Hedman on Espo? Markstrom on everybody? Speaking of Markstrom, the guy really needs to grow a pair. He should win an oscar for his performance out there. Flopping around everywhere.

Regardless- i think you need to become more informed, and have fewer preconceived notions before you come out with the kind of comments you've been making in this thread lately.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

I had nothing against the Canadians before this tournament. But the behavior by the players and a large majority of the fans were atrocious at best. When Hedman was injured the fans were cheering at that.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Macster

Quote:
I had nothing against the Canadians before this tournament. But the behavior by the players and a large majority of the fans were atrocious at best. When Hedman was injured the fans were cheering at that.
That's it? Ok I've wasted my time.

GO CANADA!

Side note- Filatov made the tournament all star team!

Old
01-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

I can't argue with someone who's biased.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Feicht

Hmm yeah I don't know about the reffing in this one... but whaddya gonna do, eh?

Congrats to Canada... can't argue with 5 straight

Old
01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Macster

Quote:
I can't argue with someone who's biased.
Likewise, you won't budge from your stance. I'm going to bat for my country (sounds so epic) because you are way off-base. If anything I'm just trying to set you straight so that you don't continue on thinking incorrectly about the nature of this tournament.

Anyway, see you this time next year.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

On a serious note, I got to see alot of great talent I've been wanting to watch.

John Tavares is a stud, I can see why he'll go #1.
Hedman is solid, great positionally, knows what to do with the puck at all times.
Ryan Ellis is probably a top 10 pick and a future PPQB of some team's blueline.
Magnus Svensson Paajarvi was just as good as I thought he would be. Looks like a younger Forsberg.
Jakub Markstrom is the best goalie not in the NHL, I have no idea why Pickard and McCollum were picked above him.
Janoslav Janus will be drafted by somebody.
Maxim Goncharov was a steal by the Coyotes, what a player.
I love Dmitri Kulikov.
I never got the chance to watch Finland, so that was disappointing.
Erik Karlsson was better than I expected.
Colin Wilson is overrated imo, Schroeder and JvR are the better ones on that line.
I didn't see a whole lot of Pietrangelo.
Tedenby & Backlund were impressive.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Hmm yeah I don't know about the reffing in this one... but whaddya gonna do, eh?

Congrats to Canada... can't argue with 5 straight
I agree with the reffing. Some of the calls were spot on, both ways, but there were some chincy calls and some things that didn't get called at all. Hedman's mugging of Espo comes to mind.

Goloubef had a great rush by himself, partial breakaway, and when he was driving to the net he was pushed into Markstrom and was called for goaltender interference- very bad call.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Likewise, you won't budge from your stance. I'm going to bat for my country (sounds so epic) because you are way off-base. If anything I'm just trying to set you straight so that you don't continue on thinking incorrectly about the nature of this tournament.

Anyway, see you this time next year.
I love the tournament, and I have nothing against Canada from Jan 2 through Dec. 26, so I hope you know that. But clearly you didn't see alot of the inappropriate and ignorant comments made by alot of your countrymen directed at Americans in the WJC boards. But I'm over it now.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
BlaXXXima

You guys have a good one in Filatov. He looked fantastic against Canada in the semi-final game on Saturday. He was a man among young men on many shifts, and many of his double shifts as well

Enjoy that guy!

Oh, and to the clowns bashing Canada. Give me a break. There was a LOT of cheap shotting and bad play this whole tournament - because they're kids. As the announcers noted so many times - they are 17+ year olds playing on a huge stage. It's going to be chippy. I saw very few blatantly hideous cheapshots.

I DID however note a great number of hits from behind by many teams, and that didn't impress me.

Overall - great tournament. Stop bashing the team that won it. The Canucks played great - even though they had to scramble like mad to beat the Russians.

BlaXXXima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Feicht

Quote:
I love the tournament, and I have nothing against Canada from Jan 2 through Dec. 26, so I hope you know that. But clearly you didn't see alot of the inappropriate and ignorant comments made by alot of your countrymen directed at Americans in the WJC boards. But I'm over it now.
I forgot Canadians were the ones who invented arrogant nationalism

Old
01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Macster

Quote:
On a serious note, I got to see alot of great talent I've been wanting to watch.

John Tavares is a stud, I can see why he'll go #1.
Hedman is solid, great positionally, knows what to do with the puck at all times.
Ryan Ellis is probably a top 10 pick and a future PPQB of some team's blueline.
Magnus Svensson Paajarvi was just as good as I thought he would be. Looks like a younger Forsberg.
Jakub Markstrom is the best goalie not in the NHL, I have no idea why Pickard and McCollum were picked above him.
Janoslav Janus will be drafted by somebody.
Maxim Goncharov was a steal by the Coyotes, what a player.
I love Dmitri Kulikov.
I never got the chance to watch Finland, so that was disappointing.
Erik Karlsson was better than I expected.
Colin Wilson is overrated imo, Schroeder and JvR are the better ones on that line.
I didn't see a whole lot of Pietrangelo.
Tedenby & Backlund were impressive.
I'll put our other discussion behind me, and comment on this post. You are spot on on most, but I have to disagree with MSP. I don't see Forsberg, I see more Alfy. That's just me though.

Markstrom was picked later simply because there was talk that he was going to take a 3mil deal over in Sweden, where he will play pro right away. Otherwise, he was the top goalie in the past draft. That said, he showed tonight that he needs to learn to control his emotions. He wasn't focused at all, and was looking for a call any time anybody went near him. When his own defenseman accidently elbowed him, he flopped like a seal and whined to the refs.

IMO this tourny has cemented Ellis' spot in the top 10. If his shot wasn't so hard and accurate, he might not be a lock for the top 10, but he's got it for sure. I'd love to get him on the Jackets, especially if Russ is traded.

Janus plays in Erie, so NA scouts know all about him. He's incredibly streaky, luckily for the Slovaks he was "on" for this tourny. I can see him going down the same path as Sebastien Dahm, in Syracuse. A Euro who needs to hone his skills who will take the long road to the NHL.

Kulikov doesn't do much for me, but Chudinov the blueliner really impressed me. The Russians haven't developed a lot of quality defensemen (since Toots really) so it's good to see Voinov and Chudinov as the future of Russian blueliners.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Macster

Quote:
Before I put this one to bed, I'm not speaking for the people on the WJ boards. People do and say stupid things over the internet, so I wouldn't put much stock in that. I am speaking for the fans in the building, who are the people I was under the impression you had a problem with.

Anyway- that's another year in the books.

Old
01-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I've said it once and I'll say it again...

I have a TW-Richards/TS-Tucker-esque mancrush on Cody Hodgson. I still wish we'd taken him over Filatov.

01-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Skraut

Though he probably deserves the rest, I hope Nick-Fil-A is playing SOMEWHERE tonight. Either in the Joe, or in the Q, as I'm recording one, and will be at the other.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Juneemoon

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...me_at2009_wjc/

And as for the future? Filatov smiled and said he was hoping for the best.

"For next year I don't know," he said. "From here I'm going to Syracuse, then I'm going to listen to Columbus and what they'll want from me."

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
And...does anyone know why Mayorov got sent home so early?
He took initiative and showed up to meet the team at the airport when they were arriving in Canada without anyone actually inviting him.

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
He took initiative and showed up to meet the team at the airport when they were arriving in Canada without anyone actually inviting him.
Seriously? Was he attempting to be a "walk-on" or something?

Weird. I remember reading that Howson had to secure his release because he was invited?