HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

I want a rivalry with the Caps

Old
01-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Crosscheck42

vCash: 500
It's important to note that despite the inflammatory language, most Caps fans also think Mike Wise is an idiot. He knows nothing about hockey.

I live in the DC 'burbs and my girlfriend comes from a family of huge Caps fans. And by that I mean they actually had season tickets to the old Cap Center. She even has a Scott Stevens Caps' jersey her dad bought her when she was a little girl still hanging in our closet.

Since they're the local team and she likes them, we have a partial season ticket plan. We, of course, go to all the Flyers games. As far as teams go, I do like the Caps. They're a fun team to watch. For the most part, they play the game the way it's meant to be played.

I have to agree that the hatred here is one-sided right now, but I suspect after this season, something more will develop. Between the playoff series last season and the 7-2 thrashing the Caps got earlier, something's going to come to a head, maybe even Tuesday night.

I'll be at the game, so I hope that it will ultimately be a Flyers win that sets someone from the Caps off, but with the Flyers as banged up as they are, I think this might be the game the Caps fans have been begging for since the playoffs.

Crosscheck42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:02 AM
txpd

You are right about Wise, but it got my point across. Lets be honest. Most Washington area fans think Philadelphia fans are animals in general. Its a reputation well earned in Philly(one i assume philly fans work to continue and approve of) and not held exclusively in Washington/Baltimore.

I am not sure how banged up the Flyers are, but it can't be worse than what the Caps were carrying in that December game in Philly and as we saw the Flyers were Nitty's best game away from being blown out themselves. I doubt injuries will have any effect except to give Flyer fans excuses if they lose.

Like I said, the Caps need to torment the Flyers for a while before there is any hate above the basic coming from Flyer fans.

Last edited by txpd: 01-05-2009 at 08:25 AM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Crosscheck42

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
You are right about Wise, but it got my point across. Lets be honest. Most Washington area fans think Philadelphia fans are animals in general. Its a reputation well earned in Philly(one i assume philly fans work to continue and approve of) and not held exclusively in Washington/Baltimore.

I am not sure how banged up the Flyers are, but it can't be worse than what the Caps were carrying in that December game in Philly and as we saw the Flyers were Nitty's best game away from being blown out themselves. I doubt injuries will have any effect except to give Flyer fans excuses if they lose.

Like I said, the Caps need to torment the Flyers for a while before there is any hate above the basic coming from Flyer fans.
Wow, someone's cranky.

I know the Caps have been banged up, but they've had years' worth of bad performances and good drafts to stock up good depth in their system. The Bears have been phenomenal this year and every one of the kids they've called up to fill-in has done a great job. It's definitely a credit to Boudreau and McPhee that they've kept it all going through the injuries.

Philly may have a bad reputation amongst other fanbases, but Washington's got some bad apples too. We had the 700 level, but DC has The Dead Tree Crew so stop acting like Philly has a monopoly on bad behavior. Wasn't it your classy fanbase that pelted our players with plastic bottles after they got eliminated from the playoffs last year? That's a trick question: I know it was because I was there.

And I know they're doing well this season in attendance, but even last season when they tore off that hot streak after Thanksgiving, there were still a lot of empty seats "rockin' the red" until they were in playoff contention. I know this again, because I was there and I had an entire row in the club section to myself.

It's funny how angry Caps fans come across. Almost without exception people from opposing teams laud praise on Ovechkin and the team and they still act like it's an insult.

Old
01-05-2009, 12:01 PM
BlackTuuk

Ovech

Alex is too likable. When even Bobby C. praises the guy, it is kind of hard to direct hate to the CAPS. It was funny listening to Ovy swear at Biron after scoring a goal in the playoffs, though.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
I remember the days when Washington was in the Patrick. It was cool hating them.
Good times, those were. Langway. Stevens. Gustafsson. Kelly Miller. Mike Ridley. Hunter. Stevens. Hatcher. Mike Gartner. Pivonka.

Ahhh, the days.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
kicksave27

the caps have brent johnson and jose theodore as there goalies, a big downgrade over huet. They'll win the southeast again, which is like being the tallest person at a midget convention. But i don't see them getting past the first round again unless they score 5 a game.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscheck42 View Post
Wow, someone's cranky.
Philly may have a bad reputation amongst other fanbases, but Washington's got some bad apples too.
Not cranky at all. Sorry that you took it that way. Most venues have their bad apples, but there is no comparison of a home Eagles crowd and say, a Redskins home crowd. I thought this was a point of pride for Philly fans, if its not I apoligize.

Old
01-05-2009, 12:46 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
the caps have brent johnson and jose theodore as there goalies, a big downgrade over huet. They'll win the southeast again, which is like being the tallest person at a midget convention. But i don't see them getting past the first round again unless they score 5 a game.
1. Look at the standings. They are a solid 2nd in the conference rather than the win the division or miss the playoffs situtaion of last season.

2. Theodore, like Biron, can be hideous or awesome depending on the day. Johnson sits right with Nitty on the stats page. Its not the disadvantage you think.

3. The way I remember it took the Flyers 7 games and OT to beat in the first round last season when the Caps had zero playoff experience.

Old
01-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Not cranky at all. Sorry that you took it that way. Most venues have their bad apples, but there is no comparison of a home Eagles crowd and say, a Redskins home crowd. I thought this was a point of pride for Philly fans, if its not I apoligize.
As a Philly fan, I do take pride in having crazy home crowds. It's amazing to experience first hand, but it gets old when every fan from other teams associate an excited crowd with one that constantly does bad ****. Take Santa for example. I'm only 23 years old. I wasn't there for the snowball incident, but yet I still get the rep for being one of those "Philly fans." It's honestly not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I have Flyers season tickets, and I was there for the playoffs last year, and I have to say the worst I saw was a little good natured heckling, which you will get anywhere. Of course, like you said, every team has the bad ones, but Philly fans get the rep for being all bad.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
1. Look at the standings. They are a solid 2nd in the conference rather than the win the division or miss the playoffs situtaion of last season.

2. Theodore, like Biron, can be hideous or awesome depending on the day. Johnson sits right with Nitty on the stats page. Its not the disadvantage you think.

3. The way I remember it took the Flyers 7 games and OT to beat in the first round last season when the Caps had zero playoff experience.
I'll agree that the Caps are legit this year, but let's not act like the Flyers had any playoff experience and the Caps didn't. Nearly every player on both teams was a spring chicken there.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:09 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I actually like the Capitals. I'll root for them if it doesn't involve the Flyers.
same here, and i love how they show Caps games on CSN Philly when nothing else is on (and also Sharks games)

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:13 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
As a Philly fan, I do take pride in having crazy home crowds. It's amazing to experience first hand, but it gets old when every fan from other teams associate an excited crowd with one that constantly does bad ****. Take Santa for example. I'm only 23 years old. I wasn't there for the snowball incident, but yet I still get the rep for being one of those "Philly fans." It's honestly not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I have Flyers season tickets, and I was there for the playoffs last year, and I have to say the worst I saw was a little good natured heckling, which you will get anywhere. Of course, like you said, every team has the bad ones, but Philly fans get the rep for being all bad.
See, I wish i was there to pelt Santa with Snowballs. Im an ******* though. I enjoy sports,. but I just enjoy my team winning more than anything else, and if they arent, someone must pay. If its Santa, well its Santa. **** it. I love being a Philly fan, I love being around Philly fans, I love our passion. Every other city can **** it. Flyers are #1 and thats all there is to it. Disagree and Ill pack them snowballs with batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DbHBPlvMQs

Old
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Crosscheck42

Quote:
No offense taken, I just thought you were being a bit snarky with the excuses line. I don't think anyone needs to make excuses for losing to the Caps this year, especially at Verizon. They're a good team who play out of their minds on home ice.

As for the point of pride issue, you've got a point, I just think it's not as bad as people make it out to be. I personally dislike the image, but that's because I deal with fans of other teams on a daily basis because I live out of market and I get sick of defending boorish behavior. I've never cheered for an injury or thrown a battery at anyone during a game and I don't agree with anyone who would do that type of thing.

I've been to every Eagles vs. 'Skins game at Fedex over the past 4 years with my friend from work who has season tickets and there are tons of belligerent idiots there, too. They usually leave me alone because I tailgate with the same people every time. I'm pretty respectful and I don't go out of my way to antagonize anyone in their own stadium. I also happen to think Fedex is a bit more tame because it's so much easier for outside fans to get tickets there than it is at the Linc.

I grew up as a Flyers fan, but it doesn't mean that I'm complicit in their marketing concept. I'm a hockey fan who happens to be from Philadelphia originally. I love my team. I would still watch them and support them whether they were billed as a group of thugs or if they were a European-influenced skill team.

That that Metro ride home after the Flyers blew the lead in Game One was the longest ever.

Old
01-05-2009, 05:28 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't find the Capitals to be a hateable team.
Come and live in MD for a bit...believe me... You'll start hating them. You will loathe everything they stand for. All bandwagon fans who can't even explain what that 'keerrazzyyy' off side rule is and **** like that. Yet to meet one Caps fan around here who claims to like hockey actually uh like hockey.

I even sometimes check the Caps board here to see if anyone from my area posts here. Ocean City/Salisbury/College Park etc. hoping maybe someone else from the universities are around this message board... but nahhhh.

The only people I have met in this area that actually know the rules and all the crazy stuff about hockey have mostly all been Pens fans. Guess SU gets a lot of Pens fans to enroll there. haha. Oh and 2 Sharks fans i've met also like 4-5 years ago.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Come and live in MD for a bit...believe me... You'll start hating them. You will loathe everything they stand for. All bandwagon fans who can't even explain what that 'keerrazzyyy' off side rule is and **** like that. Yet to meet one Caps fan around here who claims to like hockey actually uh like hockey.

I even sometimes check the Caps board here to see if anyone from my area posts here. Ocean City/Salisbury/College Park etc. hoping maybe someone else from the universities are around this message board... but nahhhh.

The only people I have met in this area that actually know the rules and all the crazy stuff about hockey have mostly all been Pens fans. Guess SU gets a lot of Pens fans to enroll there. haha. Oh and 2 Sharks fans i've met also like 4-5 years ago.
Cheer up buckaroo! I'm sure you'll find some friends soon enough, little buddy!

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:39 PM
PlantersOye

Quote:
But there just isn't one. As much as I want one, as great as last year's playoffs were, I just don't feel like there's an actual hatred there between Flyers fans and Capitals fans.

I remember the days when Washington was in the Patrick. It was cool hating them. Keith Jones was a ******* along with 20 other players I could name. But that was a long time ago, and 1 playoff series plus ovechkin? I'm just not feeling it.

I hate lots of northeast division teams. I think that might be it, it's a divisional thing. I think I can't respect a team that's in the Southeast division.

If you're in the Southeast division, you do not have a soul. Yep, that's what it is.
There isn't a hatred at all, period. However, I see both of them as some sort of a "friendly rivalry." Both of the teams were worst in the league not to long ago, now lead divisions and top in the league. Besides, Ovechkin's my man and I wouldn't want to see hatred between the Flyers and Capitals. We'll leave that with Pittsburgh.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
XS Chop

Curious how old some of you that are calling Pittsburgh our biggest rival are. I'm 40, The Rangers and Devils are still the most hated teams to me. The Pens, even with that little putz Crosby, are still just a minor annoyance as far as I'm concerned. Can't stand him but I don't have much animosity towards the team as of yet. Could be an age thing or the fact that I've never had to tolerate any real Pens fans, unlike Rangers and Devils fans who seem to come out of the woodwork whenever they're doing well and dissapear when they're not.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:21 PM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
Curious how old some of you that are calling Pittsburgh our biggest rival are. I'm 40, The Rangers and Devils are still the most hated teams to me. The Pens, even with that little putz Crosby, are still just a minor annoyance as far as I'm concerned. Can't stand him but I don't have much animosity towards the team as of yet. Could be an age thing or the fact that I've never had to tolerate any real Pens fans, unlike Rangers and Devils fans who seem to come out of the woodwork whenever they're doing well and dissapear when they're not.
If any from this post was in reference to me or others, I threw Pittsburgh out there because I'm making note from recent years. In recent Flyers hockey, I find Pittsburgh to be our biggest rival.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:25 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
the jersey pine barrens are aweful thick. lol. thats where they hide.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:17 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
the jersey pine barrens are aweful thick. lol. thats where they hide.
Pens fans?

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:21 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Pens fans?

more like devils fans if you ask me. ive seen folks who look like that

Old
01-05-2009, 11:01 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
It's not an age thing. I'm 32 and the first year I was a bonafide superfan was 89-90. 4 years of not knowing why I cared, followed by all the devils/rangers hate you can ask for.

Rags and Devils are huge historical rivalries, but those types of rivalries can have some lean years, for lots of different reasons. Right now Penguin hate burns the brightest. I might even put the habs ahead of the rags and debs.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Unstable

Anyone else going to the game tonight? I'm way up in the nosebleeds, sec. 423.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:24 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Anyone else going to the game tonight? I'm way up in the nosebleeds, sec. 423.
If you're spamming to get ***** I support you. Bang some capitals fan chick

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Unstable

Quote:
If you're spamming to get ***** I support you. Bang some capitals fan chick
Posted here because I wasn't sure if the GDT was going up or not. If a mod wants to delete the double post that's fine.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote