HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Kovalev bashing has got to stop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2009, 07:59 PM
  #76
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I just dont understand why some so-called fans are bashing ONE PLAYER and insisting on it when that player is leading the team in points and is doing his best in a team filled with injuries.
Too many Hab fans watch games based on "expectations". It's what they expect a player to perform, and their expectations are always overblown and overexaggerated. Higgins should score 40 goals. Andrei Kostitsyn should be our Kovalchuk. Kovalev should score 40 and lead our team in scoring. Koivu should be able to score anytime the game is tied. Price should never let in a bad goal or ever have a bad game. Komisarek should never have a - on his name after a game. Latendresse should be a top line power forward who eats people alive and skates like the wind. Chipchura should be Bob Gainey. Tanguay should score every game. Plekanec should be just as good as Ribiero. The list goes on.

Top it off that a lot of these same Hab fans are comparing us to the Bruins every day, envious of a first place in the Conference spot they had expectations that the team would have, since we had it last season. Everyone kind of forgets that Pittsburgh sort of tossed their final game on purpose.

If they just watched the games and cheered for the players who worked hard and hoped for the best, these boards would be void of angered discussion.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:11 PM
  #77
kovalost27
 
kovalost27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
You have to understand a few things about this place in order to get a better idea of why idiotic things like the constant slamming of Kovalev occurs.

First of all, the Canadiens are a team with a very large fan base, and as such, HFBoards has a very large community here in the Montreal Canadiens forum. As such, we get a full cross-section of "fans" - some of them are very knowledgeable and it's great to read their thoughts on the team. However, the ying to that yang is the Canadiens newsgroup, moreso then any other here, is aboslutely *filled* with people that don't know a damn thing about hockey.

There are literally dozens of posters here that wouldn't be able to tell you what system the team plays. They watch every single game, but couldn't tell you how Montreal breaks out, what system they use to forecheck or how their penalty kill works. They're fans of the Canadiens, but they're not fans of hockey. They don't fully understand it, yet they're quite vocal on their opinions about players.

At the beginning of the season, I was harshly criticized because I was saying how disappointed I was with Ryan O'Byrne's play. For a large chunk of people here, they simply couldn't notice that he wasn't playing the team system for the simple reason that they didn't know what the team system even was.

Even in recent weeks, there were a few threads were people were giving their "ideal lineup" for the Canadiens - this is with the team fully healthy - and an amazing amount of those lines had Matt D'Agostini on the first line and Max Paccioretty on the second line. With all of the Canadiens solid depth up front, these geniuses think the ideal scenario would see them ice raw rookies on the first two lines. That's what you're dealing with. That's the level of hockey knowledge some of the people here are drawing from.

These are the same people last season that were saying it was time to get rid of Saku Koivu. These clearly aren't knowledgeable fans.

Another amazing example from recent weeks was a thread about how the Canadiens had a lot of 'good players' but no stars. In the thread, someone even asked "When was the last time the Habs had a player other teams really coveted?" Ummm.... How about Andrei Markov? An elite defenseman who's among the leaders in the entire NHL in points ... Wouldn't he qualify? Things like that make you really shake your head and wonder how these "fans" watch the games and somehow miss such things.

You really have to consider *who* is doing the talk when you complain about the stupidity surrounding the criticism of Alex Kovalev.

It's amazing how often here a player is deemed "invisible" in a game. Here at HFBoards, "invisible" is really code for "didn't record a point." Recently I've read that Tomas Plekanec was "invisible" in games where he played very solid and created many chances not to mention played well defensively. Conversely, Matt D'Agostini has played games where he's "awesome." That means he scored. Makes you wonder if these people read the boxscores rather then watch the games, no?

I can't fathom how a fan could watch every game this season and be upset with the play of Alex Kovalev. He's had plenty of bad luck in terms of ringing the iron which means his numbers are lower then they should be, but he's rather consistently brought creativity, speed, skill and offensive prowess game in and game out. As the season wears on, I suspect those posts will start to even themselves out and all the geniuses here will talk about how he's playing "so much better" despite the only difference being a few posts are now going in.
Post of the year, IMO. I 100% agree although I'm one of those ignorant fans. You should inform us of the system Montreal plays and how it works. It would be interesting to learn about it.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:12 PM
  #78
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Too many Hab fans watch games based on "expectations". It's what they expect a player to perform, and their expectations are always overblown and overexaggerated. Higgins should score 40 goals. Andrei Kostitsyn should be our Kovalchuk. Kovalev should score 40 and lead our team in scoring. Koivu should be able to score anytime the game is tied. Price should never let in a bad goal or ever have a bad game. Komisarek should never have a - on his name after a game. Latendresse should be a top line power forward who eats people alive and skates like the wind. Chipchura should be Bob Gainey. Tanguay should score every game. Plekanec should be just as good as Ribiero. The list goes on.

Top it off that a lot of these same Hab fans are comparing us to the Bruins every day, envious of a first place in the Conference spot they had expectations that the team would have, since we had it last season. Everyone kind of forgets that Pittsburgh sort of tossed their final game on purpose.

If they just watched the games and cheered for the players who worked hard and hoped for the best, these boards would be void of angered discussion.
Excellent post.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
  #79
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Excellent post.
Same to you sir

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:37 PM
  #80
lxzred
Registered User
 
lxzred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
I was happy to see that this thread was still on top this evening, and even happy er that there are (some) intelligent posts. -

-Bump

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
  #81
SherbrookeW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Just to add..happened to see the Devils-Habs game in Newark last week. Far from a shining performance by our boys -- but there is no question, when you see him live, that Kovalev is the most talented, skilled, spectacularly gifted player out there. He does things with the puck no one else can do. He walks through people; around them; protects the puck as though he's playing his own game off by himself. Now, of course, that doesn't make him the most effective player out there. Hockey's not a spectacle; hockey's a sport. All too often, he is playing his own game off by himself. It isn't a skills competition. But remember, please -- if Kovalev had the other game-playing, sports-essentials skills-- ice vision, physicality, grit, consistency whatever -- that you would wish for him, he wouldn't be Alex Kovalev. He would be an older Ovechkin or a second Lafleur. And then - crucial point -- we would never have gotten him in a trade for Josef Balej. So: admire him, follow him , appreciate him , wish that a peformer this gifted could also be a player that good. But,remember-- when he's gone, it will be a long time before we see another like him.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
  #82
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,068
vCash: 500
just quit trying so hard to skate by 900 players, and use your teammates to pass too

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:49 PM
  #83
Nashy
The Honey Badger
 
Nashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
Just to add..happened to see the Devils-Habs game in Newark last week. Far from a shining performance by our boys -- but there is no question, when you see him live, that Kovalev is the most talented, skilled, spectacularly gifted player out there. He does things with the puck no one else can do. He walks through people; around them; protects the puck as though he's playing his own game off by himself. Now, of course, that doesn't make him the most effective player out there. Hockey's not a spectacle; hockey's a sport. All too often, he is playing his own game off by himself. It isn't a skills competition. But remember, please -- if Kovalev had the other game-playing, sports-essentials skills-- ice vision, physicality, grit, consistency whatever -- that you would wish for him, he wouldn't be Alex Kovalev. He would be an older Ovechkin or a second Lafleur. And then - crucial point -- we would never have gotten him in a trade for Josef Balej. So: admire him, follow him , appreciate him , wish that a peformer this gifted could also be a player that good. But,remember-- when he's gone, it will be a long time before we see another like him.



Even as frustrating as he is as times, Kovalev is supremely talented....I have to agree with this statement.

Grinders and plumbers are good to have, but guys like Kovalev are magic to watch. He's a magician with the puck.

I'll still be on him when he takes a bad penalty or makes a stupid play, but I appreciate his skill level.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
  #84
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
This game has first to be played with passion and intensity.. Thats what most of us have against Kovy, he takes too many shifts\games off and this attitude drags the team down.. He is the opposite of what a leader is supposed to be!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
  #85
Maurice Richard*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
You mentioned KOVafloat in the same post as GOD (Lafleur) and Jesus (Mario) ..are you insane !!!

Maurice Richard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:20 PM
  #86
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
Just to add..happened to see the Devils-Habs game in Newark last week. Far from a shining performance by our boys -- but there is no question, when you see him live, that Kovalev is the most talented, skilled, spectacularly gifted player out there. He does things with the puck no one else can do. He walks through people; around them; protects the puck as though he's playing his own game off by himself. Now, of course, that doesn't make him the most effective player out there. Hockey's not a spectacle; hockey's a sport. All too often, he is playing his own game off by himself. It isn't a skills competition. But remember, please -- if Kovalev had the other game-playing, sports-essentials skills-- ice vision, physicality, grit, consistency whatever -- that you would wish for him, he wouldn't be Alex Kovalev. He would be an older Ovechkin or a second Lafleur. And then - crucial point -- we would never have gotten him in a trade for Josef Balej. So: admire him, follow him , appreciate him , wish that a peformer this gifted could also be a player that good. But,remember-- when he's gone, it will be a long time before we see another like him.
Fantastic post.

This is quickly becoming the best discussion of this team and it's players I've seen on HF Boards in a long time.

You're take on Kovalev mirrors my own so perfectly it's like I was reading my own words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
This game has first to be played with passion and intensity.. Thats what most of us have against Kovy, he takes too many shifts\games off and this attitude drags the team down.. He is the opposite of what a leader is supposed to be!
I completely disagree.

I think Kovalev's passion and intensity are part of what makes him such a great player. The mans training is intense. He has incredible standards he sets for himself so he can be such a great skater, puck handler and deker. He demands that of himself. How can you question the passion of a player like that? Kovalev has always been a player that plays with such a emotion that if he's cheap shotted on the ice, it's he himself who responds. Speak to Mr. Tucker and Holleweg about the consistency of Kovalev's intensity on the ice. You'll discover quickly they disagree with you.

Kovalev is player that takes risks on the ice. It's a big part of his game. It's what makes him such a fun player to watch. He's not predictible, he excites you, he gets you out of your chair by making a play on the ice. He's one of the few players thats makes you shake your head but not out of anger, but rather out of astonishment. You can't play that style and not have some plays that don't work out as intended. When Kovalev gives the puck away, it never looks good because of the style of player he is. When other guys give it away, it's a long the boards, or being poke-checked as they come into the zone or having their pocket picked. When Kovalev does, it's because he's dancing through two guys or some other high risk play. Nobody remembers a little poke check, but they definitely remember the hot dog dancing around.

That poisons a lot of people's opinion of Kovalev's performance in my opinion, because the reality is, most nights this season, he's been playing as well as he did last season, he's just been much less fortunate. Shots that rang off the iron and in or picked a corner last season are hitting that post and staying out this season. In reality, with a little luck, everybody would be singing his praises this year. And I suspect, in the near future, they will be.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-06-2009 at 11:24 AM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:36 PM
  #87
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
but it would be nice that sometimes instead of just being the only good player on the powerplay, he actually tried to, you know USE HIS LINEMATES just for once
Now I'm going to reply to this, but I'm not sure the poster will see it because it looks like he gotta outta Dodge after being completely and utterly humiliated with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
say that to last year playoff's Kovalev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotrox View Post
You mean when he led the team with 11 points in 12 games? This is the problem with the bashers, the bashing doesn't even make sense.
I LOVE it! A poster with 9 posts completely owns this kid. Well done!

So anyhow (sorry, I had to bring that up because it was awesome), if Kovalev never used his linemates, how the hell did he end up with 19 assists, second only to Markov with 22?? Sounds like he's being way too selfish, I agree.

To everyone else that is writing some insightful stuff, thank you. It makes it worthwhile to come on and read posts like that instead of trudging through the daily crap on here. I just honestly had had enough of the bashing. Kudos to Captain Kovy!

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
  #88
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
The posts by FerretRox and Lone Rogue deviated from the HFboards norm of flaming and bandwagoning and said something with intelligence. Its very rare that happens. Don't be jealous now Asterix.
What was I thinking...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:09 PM
  #89
benji
Took too much, man.
 
benji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Too much.
Posts: 10,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Seriously... enough is enough. Everytime I log on here all I read are people bashing him left right and center. He's become the next whipping boy after Ryder, and just like Ryder last year, we don't see anything about the actual under-acheivers like Plekanec, Latendresse, etc.

.
How are Plekanec and Latendresse under-achievers this year if Ryder wasn't last year? I stopped reading there.

Love Kovalev though, you'll never hear me bash him without reason. Some good posts in here. He is what he is, but he only wants this team to win.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:28 PM
  #90
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
I LOVE it! A poster with 9 posts completely owns this kid. Well done!

So anyhow (sorry, I had to bring that up because it was awesome), if Kovalev never used his linemates, how the hell did he end up with 19 assists, second only to Markov with 22?? Sounds like he's being way too selfish, I agree.

To everyone else that is writing some insightful stuff, thank you. It makes it worthwhile to come on and read posts like that instead of trudging through the daily crap on here. I just honestly had had enough of the bashing. Kudos to Captain Kovy!
have fun moving your pompoms for Kovalev as much as you want

i just went down to the philly series threads, and it seems that I'm not alone thinking that even with his points in the playoffs, he still played like crap and started to play like the selfish mongrel he really is


And for the 18 assists "argument", with an average TOI of Kovalev that is around 25 minutes a night, it's pretty normal for a player to goble the second assists and to put up some points. And seriously, I haven't seen a lot of powerplays featuring Kovalev doing other thing that his crappy tentatives to the top corner right post. This or trying to deke the whole stupid team and ruining the powerplay.

And the facts are, and are not brought by me: when Kovalev plays bad, this team suffers and I, for one, think that next year will be time to end this dependence over Kovalev, he starts to slowly slip out of the system. Our team becoming a fast and talented team who focuses on defensive smart play in order to organise offense.
And his constant tentatives of deking the whole team, causing turnovers is definitively not fitting into this team "mold". Also, he is slower than a lot of our forwards. And even Latendresse is faster than him this season

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:46 PM
  #91
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
And even Latendresse is faster than him this season
This is when I question if you ever even paid attention to Kovalev at his best.

Kovalev at his best isn't about speed. He slows the game down to a grinding halt because everyone has to react to what *he* does. He'll enter a zone slowly, with D-men wondering what the hell to do to stop him, he'll wait for linemates to get in position, then he'll either deke out the D-men and go for a shot or he'll made a pass to find a better place to get into. It has nothing to do with blinding speed. It's all about controlling the pace.

It's ****ing bizarre that last season I was trying to inform people that they were overrating Kovalev and what he brought to the table and ignore the small mistakes he did, simply so people didn't think too much of him, and now I'm having to express the positives Kovalev brings to his game because some people, after a few mediocre performances, have decided that those games have dictacted the career of Alex Kovalev and he's now good to be sent off into the pasture.

When the season started, I said this team, pretty much entact, would win a Stanley Cup. With an attitude like that, I don't see how you feel the same. I bet you did at the start of the season, though.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:48 PM
  #92
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
This is when I question if you ever even paid attention to Kovalev at his best.

Kovalev at his best isn't about speed. He slows the game down to a grinding halt because everyone has to react to what *he* does. He'll enter a zone slowly, with D-men wondering what the hell to do to stop him, he'll wait for linemates to get in position, then he'll either deke out the D-men and go for a shot or he'll made a pass to find a better place to get into. It has nothing to do with blinding speed. It's all about controlling the pace.

It's ****ing bizarre that last season I was trying to inform people that they were overrating Kovalev and what he brought to the table and ignore the small mistakes he did, simply so people didn't think too much of him, and now I'm having to express the positives Kovalev brings to his game because some people, after a few mediocre performances, have decided that those games have dictacted the career of Alex Kovalev and he's now good to be sent off into the pasture.

When the season started, I said this team, pretty much entact, would win a Stanley Cup. With an attitude like that, I don't see how you feel the same. I bet you did at the start of the season, though.

you know... hfboards is fun, in context, my quote was right, but out of context, it sounds stupid.

Our team plays a game of speed, and Kovalev don't have speed

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:59 PM
  #93
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,642
vCash: 500
people have been trying to figure kovalev out his entire career. Nobody has been able to do it to this point, so I think its a waste of time to try and crack this enigma now.

Quite simply, kovalev is kovalev. I think Colin Campbell said best (and I paraphrase): Alex Kovalev is a player you have to be patient with. Its only when you let him go that you wish you had him.

Yes, he drives me nuts, but I'm also at the edge of my seat on most nights because of him... you just never know what you're going to get. A ridiculous stickhandling display or a dumb offensive zone penalty? A marvelous no look pass tape to tape or a giveaway leading to a breakaway?

About the only thing I'm sure of is that he will lead the league in goalposts by the time the season is over

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:07 AM
  #94
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
have fun moving your pompoms for Kovalev as much as you want

i just went down to the philly series threads, and it seems that I'm not alone thinking that even with his points in the playoffs, he still played like crap and started to play like the selfish mongrel he really is


And for the 18 assists "argument", with an average TOI of Kovalev that is around 25 minutes a night, it's pretty normal for a player to goble the second assists and to put up some points. And seriously, I haven't seen a lot of powerplays featuring Kovalev doing other thing that his crappy tentatives to the top corner right post. This or trying to deke the whole stupid team and ruining the powerplay.

And the facts are, and are not brought by me: when Kovalev plays bad, this team suffers and I, for one, think that next year will be time to end this dependence over Kovalev, he starts to slowly slip out of the system. Our team becoming a fast and talented team who focuses on defensive smart play in order to organise offense.
And his constant tentatives of deking the whole team, causing turnovers is definitively not fitting into this team "mold". Also, he is slower than a lot of our forwards. And even Latendresse is faster than him this season
Ok, its confirmed. You are Marc Bureau.

And please stop saying that he is always deking the whole team. He does that because he is capable of. Of course, you have more chance to lose the puck when you keep the puck then a guy that dumps the puck immediately after having it. Kovalev doesnt do dump and chase, he is the kind of player that enters the offensive zone by himself that why he keeps the puck longer than a guy like Begin, TKO or Tender. Thats how Kovy play. He doesnt have the speed to outskate to a defenseman but he has the skilled to fool them thats why he does it. Im quite surprise that a guy like you doesnt understand that.


Last edited by Stradale: 01-06-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:17 AM
  #95
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
you know... hfboards is fun, in context, my quote was right, but out of context, it sounds stupid.

Our team plays a game of speed, and Kovalev don't have speed
He's the best skater on the team. You can have the speed of Afinogenov, but if you don't know how to move your feet when you're skating, you "speed" is useless.

And FYI, Kovalev plays 20 minutes a night, not 25. 17 of his 28 came either from ES or SH time on ice, when last year over 60% of his points were PP points. He's producing as much as last year 5 on 5, and it's been our strength this year. Not to mention that he's doing a great job on the PK.The only thing missing this year is the PP points and that can be said for the entire team and in my opinion, it's because the coaching staff gave up too quickly on the Kovalev-Plekanec-Kostitsyn line on the PP. It was a panic move IMO, because we weren't at the 25% mark at the beginning of the season, so it was easy to pull the trigger.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:25 AM
  #96
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
How are Plekanec and Latendresse under-achievers this year if Ryder wasn't last year? I stopped reading there.

Love Kovalev though, you'll never hear me bash him without reason. Some good posts in here. He is what he is, but he only wants this team to win.
Sorry... I should've clarified this because after re-reading it you're right, it is misleading. What I meant to say was, Ryder did under-achieve last year of course... but there were also other players on the team that were under-achieving at the time as well but you never heard about them. Ryder was the whipping boy. Just like Kovalev is this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
i just went down to the philly series threads, and it seems that I'm not alone thinking that even with his points in the playoffs, he still played like crap and started to play like the selfish mongrel he really is

And for the 18 assists "argument", with an average TOI of Kovalev that is around 25 minutes a night, it's pretty normal for a player to goble the second assists and to put up some points. And seriously, I haven't seen a lot of powerplays featuring Kovalev doing other thing that his crappy tentatives to the top corner right post. This or trying to deke the whole stupid team and ruining the powerplay.

And the facts are, and are not brought by me: when Kovalev plays bad, this team suffers and I, for one, think that next year will be time to end this dependence over Kovalev, he starts to slowly slip out of the system. Our team becoming a fast and talented team who focuses on defensive smart play in order to organise offense.
And his constant tentatives of deking the whole team, causing turnovers is definitively not fitting into this team "mold". Also, he is slower than a lot of our forwards. And even Latendresse is faster than him this season
Ok then, I disagree with the entire post.

First of all, the people that think he played poorly in the playoffs last year must be in the same age group as you. 11 points in 12 games? Seriously? That's bad?? He was a leader out there. I was at the game he won in OT against the Bruins with his slapshot from the faceoff circle. The guy was money. Without him we would've been gone first round.

Second of all, he doesn't play 25 mins a game. And as another poster put it, he's put up the same points except less PP points. And the entire team is sucking on the PP, not just him. It's not his fault entirely. You say he tries to do everything himself, and I disagree completely. In fact when I'm watching the games, I don't find he shoots enough at all on the PP! He's always dishing to someone else, far from being selfish. Do me favour - the next game on the PP, count on a piece of paper how many times he passes the puck compared to how many times he shoots. I think you'll be surprised. The only time he tries to deke is when he enters the zone, or there is no lane to pass or shoot. Then really, what other alternative does he have? And by the way, you get all of those assists because you're a good setup man, not because of your icetime. Case in point, Plekanec has the second most icetime of all forwards and only has 9 assists compared to Kovy.

Finally, if your "facts" are true that when Kovy plays bad, the team suffers, well... we have more points at the same point in the year as last year. And I think we finished pretty good last year, so I guess the team is playing pretty well aren't they? I guess that also means according to your "facts" that Kovalev is also playing pretty good.

Bottom line, he's doing very well considering the crappy PP that is snakebitten and all of the injuries we've had.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-06-2009 at 11:29 AM.
BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:53 AM
  #97
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
He's had plenty of bad luck in terms of ringing the iron which means his numbers are lower then they should be, but he's rather consistently brought creativity, speed, skill and offensive prowess game in and game out. As the season wears on, I suspect those posts will start to even themselves out and all the geniuses here will talk about how he's playing "so much better" despite the only difference being a few posts are now going in.
Wow, deja vu, but not quite.

I wouldn't have phrased it so confrontationally, but absolutely. Apply Kovalev's career shooting % (or what I'd call his usual amount of puck luck) to this season, and he'd have 14 goals, leading the team. He's still a defensive liability, but odds are if Carbo keeps giving him plenty of PP time, Kovalev will score in bunches at some point.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
  #98
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Wow, we must have completely different expectations set for the man...

For a 35 year old Kovalev, I think 25 goals is completely acceptable!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
  #99
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,164
vCash: 500
My biggest problem in having Kovalev part of this team is to continuously keep hearing from Carbo and some people that AKost works better without him, that such and such player can't play with him.....I mean, seems to me that Kovy should have a line on his own, 'cause rookies are intimidated by him so they pass him to puck instead of shooting, 'cause Koivu and Kovalev don't click, 'cause Kovalev prefers a certain player.....

As talented as he is, it is troublesome to see that some players are becoming better away from him....So when you start building a lineup thinking who CAN'T play with him, I'm not sure you are building a real team out of this bunch of players.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
  #100
Brisk-Illusion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Thats not the point!!! The point was for you to bash someone who actually ISN'T putting points on the board and helping the team instead of bashing a guy who comes to play every night and is leading the team.

If you hate Kovalev because he didn't blow you a kiss or for some other reason, thats fine, but don't try to blame every loss or goal against on Kovalev when its not his fault. And don't blame our crappy powerplay on Kovalev either. There are 5 players on the ice for the Habs when they have a powerplay and all 5 of them are to blame if they don't score, not just Kovalev. Besides, who cares if our powerplay sucks, we are scoring more goals 5 on 5 and thats what really matters. You play more of the game at even strength then you do on the powerplay, so I tend to think 5 on 5 scoring is a little more important to the success of the team.
Don't bother trying to reason with people who aren't capable of being rational. Kovalev (or any player) haters are just using him as an outlet to vent the frustrations they can't yet deal with in their real life.

Here's what I would say to haters if I knew they would listen;

Its not Kovalev's fault your life sucks, he's just an entertainer, an actor, if you care so much about the Habs that his play causes you this much grief, you have much bigger problems. But its not about Kovalev, its about you not being to face up to your own life and taking the easy way out by repetitively shouting "Its Kovalev's fault" instead of working out whatever is really causing that anger.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.