HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 20

Old
01-04-2009, 08:29 PM
koivu

vCash: 500
J T Wyman - nice effective year in Hamilton, would have thought he would be on your list.

koivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Kyle Chipchura at number 4 ?!

Wow... just WOw....

Maxwell, Weber, D'Agostini, White, Fischer, Kristo >> Kyle Chipchura

Maxwell, weber, white, fischer, and kristo haven't even proved anything in the NHL yet. 4 of your 6 players mentioned haven't played an NHL game. 2 of your 6 haven't even played an AHL game.

Nice list. I honestly get the impression that Fischer will surprise. I was under the impression he had good vision and hockey sense and joined the play a bit. Then again, i heard this in 06 when he got drafted. Don't know if it was wrong or it changed now. I'm optmistic he can end up a top 4, but we'll see.

Subban at #2 for me is more than how good of a prospect he might be. We lack offensive defensemen on our team. We have Carle & Weber in the minors(well, weber got called up) but i'm not sure they are as dynamic as Subban. Hamrlik is our second best off-dman(mind you, he's a two way d, more of a Defensive player, but still, goes to show how little offensive d-men we have on the team). He's getting older and him leaving after his contract, we need to restock, if Subban can hit, and be solid defensively in the pros, we have ourselves a well needed dynamic player. Maybe it's just me, but with his skating, offense and leadership, would it be far off to suggest a poor man's scott niedermayer?

I'm excited yet kind of reserved about Weber. His shot is great, everyone knows that. He was named the best OHL d-man by Deboer last year. Is it enough though? If he didn't have that shot, what would we think of him? I feel a lot of us overrate him and I'd be somewhat suprised if he ends up a top 4. I don't know how his size was translate at the NHL level. He seems to be doing well in the AHL, I hope it continues here. I hope people don't get too high on him if they play him. With the talent we have on the team and his shot, scoring goals on the PP should kind of be somewhat expected.

I like our prospects but I would like to add a Berglund/Kopitar to the list. Yes, they don't grow on trees, I know. Just suggesting a combination of size and skill down the middle wouldn't be such a bad thing. Our top center is Koivu(IMO anyway) and he's not getting younger, having a solid center prospect to take his spot when he gets older would be ideal. Speed means a lot to our team, but we can see Lang isn't exactly a speedster but because of his size and hockey smarts, he's able to get into prime scoring locations and succeed where guys like Plek and such cannot.

Also, as always, excellent post Montreal. I enjoy your posts. Keep it up.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-09-2009 at 11:03 AM.
LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 07:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
What happened to Carle? Two years ago he was one of the last cuts at training camp before he hurt his knee.

I saw that you didn't mention him in our top 4 D prospects
Carle has the same problem as Fischer, we have a number of RD's that are impressive so he's got his work cut out for him. He's a solid prospect though as he is great at moving the puck but needs to get stronger and quicker while improving his play in his own end. Imo Weber has clearly been better but Carle is still good and hopefully has a good future with the Habs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Great list as usual montreal, we're lucky to have a guy like you around here. But, concerning Chipchura, is he 4th because of his NHL readiness or for his projected potential, or the 2 combined ? Seems a bit high...

A last question, about Quailer, is he a PF prospect, or just a big playmaker ?
Thanks. Chipchura is at 4th because I think he's going to be very good for us, his defensive play is great, his offensive play has really picked up, his skating/foot speed have really improved, he's gotten better on face-offs. To me he's the kind of guy you don't notice all that much, but in tight games your glad you have. He was ripping it up in Hamilton this year which was great to see.

Quailer is not a PF from what I've seen so far, although I've only seen him twice. He's tall but skinny and while he doesn't seem to shy away from heavy traffic areas he doesn't appear to be overly physical, more of an offensive player from what I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I like the top 10. Personally think Fischer can be higher and Weber can be lower.
A lot seem to think Fischer should be higher, I don't find him to be overly impressive, whereas the others I do, so I keep hearing how he should be higher but I don't know why as he doesn't show it on the ice imo.

Weber I wasn't all that high on last year but now I am sold, his shot I just can't get enough of, so if i have him too high, it will be adjusted, but I think the Habs got a really good one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Whatever happened to Korneev...you were red hot on him after last spring's World Championships?
I happen to like Korneev a lot, but he's not a prospect since he's been in the RSL/KHL for 7 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu View Post
J T Wyman - nice effective year in Hamilton, would have thought he would be on your list.
I have him on the HM, so he's just outside the top 20. I like him a lot, and actually like him more as a D prospect, to me he's looked better on defense then he has as a winger in Hamilton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Nice list. I honestly get the impression that Fischer will surprise. I was under the impression he had good vision and hockey sense and joined the play a bit. Then again, i heard this in 06 when he got drafted. Don't know if it was wrong or it changed now. I'm optmistic he can end up a top 4, but we'll see.
Thanks. I think Fischer could end up being a very solid NHLer and if not for having several quaility RD's in our farm system, I'd have him higher but to me he's going to have his work cut out for him. Granted, I think he's very likely to play in the NHL, it's just that we have a bunch of really solid prospects, and it's really close between him and the rest. If Fischer was more dominate in the NCAA, I'd have him higher, he has improved a lot, but he's not even close to being among the top D in the WCHA let alone the NCAA. He does have good vision and hockey sense, he will jump in but not that much and when he does he hasn't been overly effective at it.

At this point I think he could end up a top 4 but for now I see him more as a bottom pairing guy as he's just not good enough in all the other areas. But we'll see how he continues to progress and go from there.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Conboy before Wyman?

I'm really high on Fischer too (just like Kostitsyn1489, we actually talked about him while walking downtown and we share the same love for him lol) and I think he should be higher. but that is just imo.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:09 AM
otto bond

Here is what I think is our top 10.
My opinion is based on what I think their impact could be. Offense, deffence, leadership,character and desirer/passion for the game.

1.Mad Max Patch-He seems to have all the tools. Ready or not, this kid has got great potential to dominate games with speed, checks and scoring.

2.PK.Subban-This kid just stand out and wants to be a winner. Maybe the WJC opened some eyes but he has been on my radar for some time.

3.Chipchura-Older then most here and he perhaps could be a graduate but this guy plays hard. Has decent skilled and has the potential to shut down any top line in the near future. This kind of player wins you championship.

4.Webber-Has a shot, a good head for the game.

5.Mcdonagh- great skater, can take the hits in the corners. top 4???

6.D'Agostini-Sniper in the veins.

7.Maxwell-top center well if he was, could be a top3 but I see good 2nd liner

8.Torp. Smaller but plays with an edge.

9.Emelin-Stock has drop, perhaps his willingness has taken a beating.could be a top 2 if he really wants it.

10.Fisher-Has a good head on his shoulder, needs to get stronger but this guy could burst out.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:17 AM
kostitsyn1489

I've done a top 25 before the season if you guys are interested, here it is.

http://www.fanatique.ca/canadiens/le...a-25+2944.html
http://www.fanatique.ca/canadiens/es...a-15+2955.html

It would be a bit different at this time of the year tho.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Mustafa*

Hey Montreal, you're puting Subban as our second prospect on the list, do you think he was a steal on the second round?Do you think he could have been a top 10? or a top 15? Just curious about the value of such a pick.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:30 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Hey Montreal, you're puting Subban as our second prospect on the list, do you think he was a steal on the second round?Do you think he could have been a top 10? or a top 15? Just curious about the value of such a pick.
A possible steal, it's still early. I know he was tabbed as a possible first rounder going into the draft. It's hard to say where he would rank against the rest of the draft since it's so early.

Old
01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The article is up on my site if anyone wants to read the write ups. The Subban/McDonagh thing is interesting, as they are opposites but both imo are very interesting when you consider that they are still very young and in the early stages of their development, so I'm sure the Habs are happy to have both and can't wait to see what they will be doing in the NHL down the road.

Here's the list, feel free to fire away I'm used to it and some comments I keep in mind when working on these type of articles. Oh and I've seen every prospect play in game action except Trunev who I have only seen in a small handful of clips.

Top 20

1. Max Pacioretty ('07)
2. PK Subban ('07)
3. Ryan McDonagh ('07)
4. Kyle Chipchura ('04)
5. Yannick Weber ('07)
6. Matt D’Agostini ('05)
7. Ben Maxwell ('06)
8. Danny Kristo ('08)
9. David Fischer ('06)
10. Ryan White ('06)
11. Mathieu Carle ('06)
12. Steve Quailer ('08)
13. Maxim Trunev ('08)
14. Nichlas Torp ('07)
15. Greg Stewart ('04)
16. Joe Stejskal ('07)
17. Alexei Emelin ('04)
18. Pavel Valentenko ('05)
19. Andrew Conboy ('07)
20. Philippe Paquet ('05)

HM David Desharnais (N/A), Brock Trotter (N/A), J T Wyman ('04)
Solid top 20 once again MTL, I agree on about everything...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Mars19

Olivier Fortier?

What is this guys status right now? He's been hurt since early November with a knee sprain, anyone know when he is due back? Oh, and im very surprised he didn't make the list!

Mars19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars19 View Post
What is this guys status right now? He's been hurt since early November with a knee sprain, anyone know when he is due back? Oh, and im very surprised he didn't make the list!
I think he's due back next month. I like his defensive play and work ethic but he gets pushed around easily in the Q and his offensive game needs a good bit of work imo. He did impress me during preseason though, so I still consider him an interesting prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koivu View Post
Just wanted to add that I heard they sent Wyman down so that he can get ice time on defense. I will have to follow on and see if he actually plays defense or not.

Also a heads up for prospects on tv, tonight you might see Scott Kishel play as his UMD Bulldogs are on the nhlnetwork and sat/sun they are showing Greg Pateryn on the nhlnetwork.

To those in the states, a heads up, 7:30 they are showing Pateryn play on FSN, 8 pm is Kishel and 8:30 is Fischer on one of the FSN channels. In addition I noticed 3 other NCAA games on tonight as well.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-09-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old
01-09-2009, 09:55 AM
kostitsyn1489

I'll try and catch the game tonight.

Also, I'll have something big prospect related in the next few weeks, more info next week It's sick.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote