HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

So I play hockey backwards

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2009, 12:20 AM
  #1
wcb231*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
So I play hockey backwards

Let me explain. I'm a natural right hander. I write with my right hand, throw with my right hand, hit a baseball right handed, and I'm a 0.8 handicap golfing right handed. Problem is, I'm a left handed hockey player. Shooting right handed just feels awkward and I just can't get the stick in the right position for shooting.

Now this may not seem like more than a coincidence, but my problem is I am SEVERELY left-footed. My left leg is 100x stronger than my right leg so when I go for a slap shot or try to balance on my right leg it's damn near impossible.

Since I'm a beginner is there any tips for training balance on your weak leg for taking a shot?

wcb231* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:31 AM
  #2
Ice Hockey
Registered User
 
Ice Hockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
I'm a natural righty who plays hockey lefty. I can't do anything with my left hand but I play hockey as a lefty like it's natural.

as for your leg problem, i don't have that. if you hit the ice enough it will even out. weight training and jogging wouldn't hurt either.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:42 AM
  #3
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!
 
Gunnar Stahl 30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Marty's Better
Country: Iceland
Posts: 14,908
vCash: 500
i noticed in pictures ALOT of nhl players golf opposite what they play hockey. brian rolston and marcus naslund are some examples. its not that weird

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:01 AM
  #4
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
A lot of people subscribe to the belief that your dominant hand should be your top hand, which would make right handed people left handed shooters. With the dominant hand on top, it gives you you stick control. As for your left foot being stronger, that will become less apparent as you develope your skating skills. Make sure you train yourself to start and stop and turn both ways equally well and this imbalance will disappear.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 07:55 AM
  #5
Nbr-17
Registered User
 
Nbr-17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stouffville, ON
Country: Germany
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
I'm a lefty, my son's a lefty and we both shoot right, my father-in-law and nephew are both righties and shoot left:

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:05 AM
  #6
Grind Line
 
Grind Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Country: England
Posts: 343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
I'm a lefty, my son's a lefty and we both shoot right, my father-in-law and nephew are both righties and shoot left:
WTF! That's crazy!

Anyway....

To strengthen your left leg and balance simply do weights work on it and balance work on a bosu board...with and without weights. Lunges will also help. Also one footed glides and balance on the ice will help you strengthen your weaker side.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. Easier to demo than explain but i've tried!

Grind Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:27 AM
  #7
87vert
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
alot of people play like that, I'm lefty and play lefty but my brother is right handed but plays left

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
  #8
EmptyNetter
Registered User
 
EmptyNetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb231 View Post
Now this may not seem like more than a coincidence, but my problem is I am SEVERELY left-footed. My left leg is 100x stronger than my right leg so when I go for a slap shot or try to balance on my right leg it's damn near impossible.

Since I'm a beginner is there any tips for training balance on your weak leg for taking a shot?
I don't understand your question. Are you trying to strengthen your right leg or are you having difficulty taking a slap shot without falling? If you want to strengthen your right leg then try balancing on it for as long as you can. If you're trying to correct your slap shot the answer is is a bit more involved.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:50 AM
  #9
josra33
Registered User
 
josra33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,118
vCash: 500
From what I understand most Canadians are trained in that way. Where if they are right handed in everything else they learn to play hockey left handed. I could be wrong but thats what I had heard.

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
  #10
87vert
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I don't understand your question. Are you trying to strengthen your right leg or are you having difficulty taking a slap shot without falling? If you want to strengthen your right leg then try balancing on it for as long as you can. If you're trying to correct your slap shot the answer is is a bit more involved.
I think during the slapshot he is shifting his weight from his left to his right (back to front foot) and that weight shift is causing him to fall over.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:59 AM
  #11
EmptyNetter
Registered User
 
EmptyNetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Steve View Post
WTF! That's crazy!
No, it's consistent. Many players, myself included, want their strongest hand to be the top hand. Any time you take your bottom hand off the stick to extend your reach, either for a poke check or just to corral the puck, it's beneficial to have that extra strength. It all comes down to personal preference but Nbr-17's family just happen to all subscribe to the same theory.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
  #12
wcb231*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I don't understand your question. Are you trying to strengthen your right leg or are you having difficulty taking a slap shot without falling? If you want to strengthen your right leg then try balancing on it for as long as you can. If you're trying to correct your slap shot the answer is is a bit more involved.
It's not that I fall over...it's that I don't even get the chance to fall over because I favor my left side and just cannot get my weight over to the right side, mainly because I'm afraid of falling

wcb231* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
  #13
EmptyNetter
Registered User
 
EmptyNetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb231 View Post
It's not that I fall over...it's that I don't even get the chance to fall over because I favor my left side and just cannot get my weight over to the right side, mainly because I'm afraid of falling
Allow yourself to fall, just make sure you're protected when you do. If you're practicing on ice your hockey gear should protect you from bruises. Avoid sprains by only bending knees and elbows the way they're supposed to. If you're practicing on concrete I'd recommend wearing knee and elbow pads, even helmet and gloves (protect your wrists) if you're overly cautious.

Just how weak is your right leg? If you can hop on your right leg this shouldn't be an issue -- it may just be a question of turning your leg so it better absorbs the weight transfer.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
  #14
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
What you're describing isn't that uncommon.

It's natural for a player to put their strong hand at the top of the stick in order to handle the puck.

Every player has a strong side and a weak side for skating. The idea is to practice with both until the gap between the two is minimal.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:38 AM
  #15
EmptyNetter
Registered User
 
EmptyNetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,541
vCash: 500
Try going through the motions of throwing a fastball pitch with your left hand. If it helps don't even worry about the throw, just lift your right leg, take the big step forward and then shift your weight forward until your left foot is off the ground. If you can do that then it's not your right leg that's holding you back from having a good slap shot. If your right leg gives out under you then you do need to work on making it stronger.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
  #16
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,490
vCash: 500
I'm right-handed and shoot right, but my skating instructor in college told me that I skate left-handed, so apparently I had been shooting wrong my whole life. Well, it explains why I'm basically completely incapable of stickhandling.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 07:22 PM
  #17
IniNew
 
IniNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Keller
Country: United States
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post
From what I understand most Canadians are trained in that way. Where if they are right handed in everything else they learn to play hockey left handed. I could be wrong but thats what I had heard.

I've heard the same, with the thought that having your dominate hand on the top of the stick lets you finesse it more accurately, while having your dominate hand on the bottom creates stronger more accurate shots.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:15 PM
  #18
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb231 View Post
Let me explain. I'm a natural right hander. I write with my right hand, throw with my right hand, hit a baseball right handed, and I'm a 0.8 handicap golfing right handed. Problem is, I'm a left handed hockey player. Shooting right handed just feels awkward and I just can't get the stick in the right position for shooting.

Now this may not seem like more than a coincidence, but my problem is I am SEVERELY left-footed. My left leg is 100x stronger than my right leg so when I go for a slap shot or try to balance on my right leg it's damn near impossible.

Since I'm a beginner is there any tips for training balance on your weak leg for taking a shot?
right handed - check
throw right - check
bat right - check
shoot left - check


You are in the majority in every category right up to the left foot thing.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
  #19
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb231 View Post
Let me explain. I'm a natural right hander. I write with my right hand, throw with my right hand, hit a baseball right handed, and I'm a 0.8 handicap golfing right handed. Problem is, I'm a left handed hockey player. Shooting right handed just feels awkward and I just can't get the stick in the right position for shooting.

Now this may not seem like more than a coincidence, but my problem is I am SEVERELY left-footed. My left leg is 100x stronger than my right leg so when I go for a slap shot or try to balance on my right leg it's damn near impossible.

Since I'm a beginner is there any tips for training balance on your weak leg for taking a shot?
Boy you have just opened a whole can of worms with this post.

This is not the first time this question has been asked. In fact, I did a whole write up about this on the forum and It was pretty heated for a while.

So, here what 35 years of hockey experience is going to tell you. First, lets look at these three things... stick, stickhandling and shooting.

The stick, which I perfer, I like using wood use wood. Plus it's a little cheaper when they break. I want to have the maximum amount of flex I can get. The more the flex...the better! Why? Make the stick work for you, not the other way around.

Next, lets look at the way you write. The top of the stick is the protion of the stick that controls the artistic side of stick handling. When you stick handle, the hand that is down the shaft, kind of holds the stick shaft, allowing the shaft to move up and down freely. This bottom hand holds the stick while you stick handle or deke the opponent.

So this means that if you write with your right hand, that is the artistic side. This means that you place your hand at the top of the stick. So this means that you shoot left.

The bottom hand is use for the power side of the shot during a slap shot.

Now let look at shooting.

Do you know what a fulcrum is? Here's an example: It's the point of balance in a "teeter-totter.

Now, the bottom hand acts like a teeter-totter. If you place a box on the ice and you place you stick blade underneath the box, the folcrum will be at your wrist if you try and pick it up with one hand. Chances are really good that your wrist will strain or break if you try to pick up the box.

But, if you place a fulcrum, say the tip of your skate, then what you have done is add a fulcrum to the stick. Then you can press down on the stick with your finger and the box will come off the ice with ease.

Now, shooting is kind of the same way. The bottom hand is used as a fulcrum durning the shot. Make sure that as you follow through with the shot, that the top hand moves away from your body. Once both are at maximum distance, take the top hand, leave the bottom hand still. Take the top hand and move the stick towards your body. This will provide you maximum leverage for the shot.

Now for slat shots, the bottom hand is for power in the shot! This is the hand that help drive the shaft down to help it bend during the slap shot. This is where the flex of your stick comes in. The more flex you have the better. It's like a compound bow, but without the pulley system.

And because you are shooting left and you are moving that shot across your body, you need to balance your weight on your right leg and follow through with the shot. It's ok to pick up that left leg to help counter balance the shooting motion. However, the more you try and keep that leg down, the more stability you will have in your balance, the better the shot will be.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:58 PM
  #20
Dan Cloutier
Registered User
 
Dan Cloutier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
it really is totally personal preference its just how you feel comfortable for example i write righty and throw righty, but i bat lefty, play hockey lefty, and play lacrosse lefty(which isnt as common as in hockey) and as far as golf goes i drive righty but putt lefty. Explain THAT!!

Dan Cloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:55 PM
  #21
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Boy you have just opened a whole can of worms with this post.

This is not the first time this question has been asked. In fact, I did a whole write up about this on the forum and It was pretty heated for a while.

So, here what 35 years of hockey experience is going to tell you. First, lets look at these three things... stick, stickhandling and shooting.

The stick, which I perfer, I like using wood use wood. Plus it's a little cheaper when they break. I want to have the maximum amount of flex I can get. The more the flex...the better! Why? Make the stick work for you, not the other way around.

Next, lets look at the way you write. The top of the stick is the protion of the stick that controls the artistic side of stick handling. When you stick handle, the hand that is down the shaft, kind of holds the stick shaft, allowing the shaft to move up and down freely. This bottom hand holds the stick while you stick handle or deke the opponent.

So this means that if you write with your right hand, that is the artistic side. This means that you place your hand at the top of the stick. So this means that you shoot left.

The bottom hand is use for the power side of the shot during a slap shot.

Now let look at shooting.

Do you know what a fulcrum is? Here's an example: It's the point of balance in a "teeter-totter.

Now, the bottom hand acts like a teeter-totter. If you place a box on the ice and you place you stick blade underneath the box, the folcrum will be at your wrist if you try and pick it up with one hand. Chances are really good that your wrist will strain or break if you try to pick up the box.

But, if you place a fulcrum, say the tip of your skate, then what you have done is add a fulcrum to the stick. Then you can press down on the stick with your finger and the box will come off the ice with ease.

Now, shooting is kind of the same way. The bottom hand is used as a fulcrum durning the shot. Make sure that as you follow through with the shot, that the top hand moves away from your body. Once both are at maximum distance, take the top hand, leave the bottom hand still. Take the top hand and move the stick towards your body. This will provide you maximum leverage for the shot.

Now for slat shots, the bottom hand is for power in the shot! This is the hand that help drive the shaft down to help it bend during the slap shot. This is where the flex of your stick comes in. The more flex you have the better. It's like a compound bow, but without the pulley system.

And because you are shooting left and you are moving that shot across your body, you need to balance your weight on your right leg and follow through with the shot. It's ok to pick up that left leg to help counter balance the shooting motion. However, the more you try and keep that leg down, the more stability you will have in your balance, the better the shot will be.

Head coach
I don't see how, everything said here is absolutely correct. I would have said the same thing, but just not as well.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:02 PM
  #22
UserName
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
right handed, shoot right.

hard shot, weaker stickhandling.


Last edited by UserName: 01-07-2009 at 01:13 PM.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:11 PM
  #23
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,443
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Boy you have just opened a whole can of worms with this post.

This is not the first time this question has been asked. In fact, I did a whole write up about this on the forum and It was pretty heated for a while.

So, here what 35 years of hockey experience is going to tell you. First, lets look at these three things... stick, stickhandling and shooting.

The stick, which I perfer, I like using wood use wood. Plus it's a little cheaper when they break. I want to have the maximum amount of flex I can get. The more the flex...the better! Why? Make the stick work for you, not the other way around.

Next, lets look at the way you write. The top of the stick is the protion of the stick that controls the artistic side of stick handling. When you stick handle, the hand that is down the shaft, kind of holds the stick shaft, allowing the shaft to move up and down freely. This bottom hand holds the stick while you stick handle or deke the opponent.

So this means that if you write with your right hand, that is the artistic side. This means that you place your hand at the top of the stick. So this means that you shoot left.

The bottom hand is use for the power side of the shot during a slap shot.

Now let look at shooting.

Do you know what a fulcrum is? Here's an example: It's the point of balance in a "teeter-totter.

Now, the bottom hand acts like a teeter-totter. If you place a box on the ice and you place you stick blade underneath the box, the folcrum will be at your wrist if you try and pick it up with one hand. Chances are really good that your wrist will strain or break if you try to pick up the box.

But, if you place a fulcrum, say the tip of your skate, then what you have done is add a fulcrum to the stick. Then you can press down on the stick with your finger and the box will come off the ice with ease.

Now, shooting is kind of the same way. The bottom hand is used as a fulcrum durning the shot. Make sure that as you follow through with the shot, that the top hand moves away from your body. Once both are at maximum distance, take the top hand, leave the bottom hand still. Take the top hand and move the stick towards your body. This will provide you maximum leverage for the shot.

Now for slap shots, the bottom hand is for power in the shot! This is the hand that help drive the shaft down to help it bend during the slap shot. This is where the flex of your stick comes in. The more flex you have the better. It's like a compound bow, but without the pulley system.

And because you are shooting left and you are moving that shot across your body, you need to balance your weight on your right leg and follow through with the shot. It's ok to pick up that left leg to help counter balance the shooting motion. However, the more you try and keep that leg down, the more stability you will have in your balance, the better the shot will be.

Head coach
I believe the bolded pieces are the parts of your post that may have created a lot of contention. You're partially correct with both comments, however most people have the same 'artistic hand' as they have a 'power hand'. And while a considerable amount of manual dexterity is needed in your top hand in order to stickhandle, poke check, battle for loose pucks, etc, a large amount of coordination is required in your bottom hand in order to receive passes, and shoot and pass with power and accuracy.

I don't think there's any 'right way', really. It's all about what's comfortable.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
  #24
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,671
vCash: 500
I'm a bit of the opposite. I write left-handed and am left-footed (played soccer), yet I golf right-handed, bat right-handed, and shoot right-handed, but catch as a lefty. I use a forehand on both sides in tennis also. I'm all kinds of jacked up, but mostly because nobody had lefty equipment for me to use growing up.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:57 PM
  #25
PIMking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Country: Germany
Posts: 559
vCash: 500
I always thought it was because most goalies are left catch and right blocker wo if you shoot left hte forehand shot would be on the blocker side. Thats how I always thought. I play right. Write righty I have tried left and played like garbage and had no stick handling. thats just me.

When I played baseball I batted left and right And did just as good on both sides of the plate. By just as good is I struck out most of the time.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.