HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere update -- January 23 (post #584)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2009, 01:54 AM
  #1
ipayyou1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Briere update -- January 23 (post #584)

I know we have to make a move before he plays so does anybody have any updates on the injury i here he could be back by Washington? Can someone confrim this?



Also who's getting dealt?


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-23-2009 at 07:06 PM.
ipayyou1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 02:07 AM
  #2
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipayyou1000 View Post
I know we have to make a move before he plays so does anybody have any updates on the injury i here he could be back by Washington? Can someone confrim this?



Also whoes getting delt?
Give me a moment..........



decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 03:54 AM
  #3
Raffl House
Registered User
 
Raffl House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,849
vCash: 500
I opened this thinking there was an injury report on Giroux or something, and you were asking about Briere's status. Either way, don't say Injury Report in big orange letters and then start asking questions. After a 2-1 shootout loss, its the last thing I personally want to see.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:25 AM
  #4
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40,440
vCash: 588
Briere return sparks trade rumors

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art.../1017/sports04
Quote:

VOORHEES — The Flyers are a banged-up hockey club these days, but by the end of the week they could have a $6.5 million decision on their hands when Danny Briere returns from a groin strain.

That, along with the emergence of centers Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, has made Briere a popular subject of trade rumors.

Monday, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren was asked if he'd consider trading Briere, who has seven years and $42 million remaining on his contract.

"No, absolutely not," Holmgren said. "He's got a no-trade (clause) every year. We'll be a much better team with Danny in the lineup."



__________________
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608053432596172518&w=278&h=156&c=7&rs=1&p  id=1.7

Rest in peace, Pat Quinn.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
  #5
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 500
And that's the only reason he's not going anywhere...the almighty NTC.



*sigh*

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
  #6
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
And that's the only reason he's not going anywhere...the almighty NTC.



*sigh*
Yeah, that and the fact that we dont get to the conference finals without him last year. This team is better with him, period.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:13 PM
  #7
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Yeah, that and the fact that we dont get to the conference finals without him last year. This team is better with him, period.
We win more WITHOUT him then we do WITH him.

What about that points to us being better when he is in the lineup?

The stats don't back it up, however right your statement may be.

I'm on the fence about him, he is too expensive either way.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
  #8
South Beach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Yeah, that and the fact that we dont get to the conference finals without him last year. This team is better with him, period.
I agree. As soon as he comes back and scores a few goals everyone will change their minds.

South Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:22 PM
  #9
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Yeah, that and the fact that we dont get to the conference finals without him last year. This team is better with him, period.
Were talking money here.

You going to trade Richards?
- NO

Carter?
- NO

Do we really need Briere???
- NO

Can we trade him?
- NO

Are 'we' cap strapped becuase of his (Briere) contract
- It's not helping!

Sure...Richards, Briere, Carter >>> Richards, Carter Metro as a top three. I'm talking dollars here though.

Also, have we really missed him? Sure he helps...but he's not necessary at this point in the game. Just my opinion.


Last edited by Opus: 01-06-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
  #10
chromemaro
Registered User
 
chromemaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach View Post
I agree. As soon as he comes back and falls on the ice alot and plays poorly in his own zone everyone will change their minds .

werd

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
  #11
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,785
vCash: 50
The matchup problems Briere will create in the playoffs for other teams will be profound. People talk about playoff hockey, with tight defense and matching shutdown defensemen and checking lines and such. Against the Flyers that's not going to happen.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:32 PM
  #12
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
We win more WITHOUT him then we do WITH him.

What about that points to us being better when he is in the lineup?

The stats don't back it up, however right your statement may be.

I'm on the fence about him, he is too expensive either way.
We have won more without him because the team started turning it around during the time he started having injury problems.....When he was in the lineup, the entire defense was playing like a bunch of high school defenders and Biron looked like a rookie netminder......They didnt start playing better BECAUSE of him leaving the lineup.

In fact, if I remember correctly, they won the first couple games after they moved him back to center and we werent relying on one line +Carter scoring.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
  #13
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The matchup problems Briere will create in the playoffs for other teams will be profound. People talk about playoff hockey, with tight defense and matching shutdown defensemen and checking lines and such. Against the Flyers that's not going to happen.
Funny how Buffalo has like the 4th most playoff wins or something since the lockout, considering they missed last year that was all when Briere was on the team. Anyone who wants to point to him as a problem is crazy....I guess the 5 goals in the first 9 games of the season arent enough for everyone either...

Like you say, the other teams will have to match their best line against Richards....no maybe Carter.....wait, then you still have Briere


Everyone likes to point to Briere's bad +/- last year, and his lack of defensive play and preach that Carter is much better that way....well Cater has 43 points and 27 goals (around 15 of them even strength) and he leads the team in scoring....If he was such a good defensive player, shouldnt he be better than +7??? Richards/Gagne are +16 and +18 by comparison

I know +/- isnt everything, but it just looks odd to me


Last edited by mikedifr: 01-06-2009 at 12:39 PM.
mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
  #14
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I dont see Briere waving his NTC. And I agree, 3 potential #1 lines are going to be hard to stop in the playoffs.

There are more movable players on our lineup (Jones? Knuble? Lupul, who I dont want to move?)

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
  #15
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
We should sign Jimmy Dowd.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
  #16
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Were talking money here.

You going to trade Richards?
- NO

Carter?
- NO

Do we really need Briere???
- NO

Can we trade him?
- NO

Are 'we' cap strapped becuase of his (Briere) contract
- It's not helping!

Sure...Richards, Briere, Carter >>> Richards, Carter Metro as a top three. I'm talking dollars here though.

Also, have we really missed him? Sure he helps...but he's not necessary at this point in the game. Just my opinion.
No, not going to trade Richards or Carter obvously but I will trade Lupul, I will trade Jones and I will let Alberts and Knuble go after this year. 6.5 cap hit for someone the caliber of Briere is not a lot (I bet NY would trade Gomez for him right now) and until Giroux, JVR, potentially Nodl are all a couple years into their careers and true top 6 scorers, we need Briere.

Lets use NJ as an example....We play them in the playoffs and Holik does a great job on Carter and Madden does a great job on Richards.....You still have Briere than can carry you. Lets say Madden stops Briere and Holik stops Richards...you still have Carter.

See the point.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:08 PM
  #17
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
We should sign Jimmy Dowd.
Hell yeah!!! Make him our #1 center

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:11 PM
  #18
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
the flyers are a 3 line team again with briere. If you have a choice between jones(and any combination of spare part player) and briere, I'm taking briere every time.

It's pretty simple, they are over the cap because they got carle to replace jones, now jones is back, one of them has to go. I'm not sure how this turned into, hey lets trade briere instead. Danny is one of the best playoff point producers the last few years. Does everyone like metro that much?

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
  #19
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
the flyers are a 3 line team again with briere. If you have a choice between jones(and any combination of spare part player) and briere, I'm taking briere every time.

It's pretty simple, they are over the cap because they got carle to replace jones, now jones is back, one of them has to go. I'm not sure how this turned into, hey lets trade briere instead. Danny is one of the best playoff point producers the last few years. Does everyone like metro that much?
It simply means Jones need to go (Carle has more upside)....and if you need to work out a little more change, figure it out.

Essentially these people are saying Randy FING Jones is more important to the team than Briere

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
  #20
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
the flyers are a 3 line team again with briere. If you have a choice between jones(and any combination of spare part player) and briere, I'm taking briere every time.

It's pretty simple, they are over the cap because they got carle to replace jones, now jones is back, one of them has to go. I'm not sure how this turned into, hey lets trade briere instead. Danny is one of the best playoff point producers the last few years. Does everyone like metro that much?
I like metro more than Jones lol. Briere needs to stay here if we want a cup. Simple as that. I hate the Salary Cap. lol.

Carle>Jones
Briere, Carter, Richards > any 3 lines on one team

Gags - Richards - Knuble/Giroux
Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
Upshall - Briere - Knuble/Giroux
Cote/Gratton - Metro - Asham

I really like those lines for the Playoffs. I don't think anyone can really match up with that.

Now, with that we are still not Cap compliant, so I would vote to move: Randy Jones, Andrew Alberts, and Joffrey Lupul (as much as I don't want to, I'm not a cap wizard by any means, and if there is a way to keep Lupul without imploding this team, I would do that.) or Mike Knuble (Hes more valuable to us in the playoffs.)

Bring up Parent, because Parent is 1000 times better than Jones will ever be. Get him into game shape for the playoffs, hes real good without the huge cap hit.


Last edited by TheDrizzle81: 01-06-2009 at 01:44 PM.
TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:18 PM
  #21
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul

What team outside of Detroit stops that top-6?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:20 PM
  #22
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Were talking money here.

You going to trade Richards?
- NO

Carter?
- NO

Do we really need Briere???
- NO

Can we trade him?
- NO

Are 'we' cap strapped becuase of his (Briere) contract
- It's not helping!
Well stated.

As it turns out, it was not a good signing.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:20 PM
  #23
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul

What team outside of Detroit stops that top-6?
San Jose.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:24 PM
  #24
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Well stated.

As it turns out, it was not a good signing.
Yeah, terrible signing.....he only helped take us to the conference finals last year

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:24 PM
  #25
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,560
vCash: 500
We have not discussed this to death.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.