HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's a better fit for Habs? Kaberle or Kubina?

Old
01-06-2009, 11:07 AM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

vCash: 500
Who's a better fit for Habs? Kaberle or Kubina?

I don't see a lot of the Leafs games, so I was wondering for those who know more about them than I do, who's better? Or who's a better fit for us..........PLUS, who would cost more?

Kaberle: Offensive?
Kubina: Defensive?

Thanks for the info.....

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Fire Brunet*

Kubina. He has a cannon of a shot and that's what we need on the powerplay, plus he's solid 2 way d-man

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Brisk-Illusion

Kaberle is much better than Kubina in every way. He's also signed to a better contract and would cost more assets to acquire.

I wouldn't want Kubina, just because he's signed through next year, for Kaberle I would offer up to a 1st rd 09' pick + Chipchura/Maxwell + mid-level prospect.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:14 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Kubina. He has a cannon of a shot and that's what we need on the powerplay, plus he's solid 2 way d-man
Agreed, but acquiring Kubina means re-signing Komisarek is pretty much infeasible without trading either Hamrlik or Markov. Though I guess we could roll with a $22M top 4 defense next season if Gainey was really smart about it.

01-06-2009, 11:15 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Kubina's skillset is probably what the Habs need more (the shot), but I go for Kaberle if I have the choice between the two.

He is cheaper and is a much better all-around defenceman than Kubina who is overpaid.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Judge Sauer*

I'd take Kaberle.

Markov-Komo
Hamr-Kaberle
Bouillon-Gorges

That's an awesome top 6 for the D.
You get pairings of power and skill, Kaberle would take the set up spot on the 2nd pairing PP unit. It's much easier to wait and one-time a shot than it is to move around and set up a play properly.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABIMUS-MAXIMUS View Post
I don't see a lot of the Leafs games, so I was wondering for those who know more about them than I do, who's better? Or who's a better fit for us..........PLUS, who would cost more?

Kaberle: Offensive?
Kubina: Defensive?

Thanks for the info.....

Neither at the money they make....but if I had to take 1 it would be Kubina.
Kubina has a harder shot, he is right-handed, he is better defensively and he is more physical. Kaberle might be better skilled, but he is soft and smaller than Kubina.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Mike8

It's tough, but I lean toward Kubina.

Upside of Kaberle: excellent transition game, would solidify Montreal's identity as a puck-possession, quick-transition team. He's also solid defensively, of the Markov variety. Intelligent player.

Upside of Kubina: a big defenseman, strong shot, 240lbs and can lay opponents out with big hits. Will control large forwards down low, and can be an asset to a Montreal defense that lacks punishing defensemen beyond Komisarek.

Both Kaberle and Kubina bring unique assets to the table. To the individual claiming that Kaberle can do anything Kubina can, only better: you are incorrect. Kubina has a superior shot, a longer reach, is physically imposing, and can make game-changing hits. While he's not a big-time hitter, he's able to make the big hits and compete physically. He also brings Cup experience to the table.

Kaberle is the superior defenseman, and I like the transition, skating, and puck possession that he would bring to the table, but considering the relative cost of each of these players and the fact that both would bring tangible qualities that are needed by the club equally (in my opinion--though the transition game lately is looking like it needs more of a lift, which would give the nod to Kaberle) ... I would go with Kubina. Kaberle's on a different level talent-wise. He's a #1 or 1b defenseman, while Kubina's certainly a #2. That doesn't matter for Montreal, since Montreal needs the qualities that both players bring ... and that is why I opt with Kubina.

But that's said reluctantly, as the transition game is looking subpar of late, and that ought to be a strength in Montreal. If it continues to be below average, then you bite the bullet (provided it's not too large a bullet), and pay up for Kaberle. (this would mean benching Bouillon, though)

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I would go after Kaberle,better all around and I like his contract

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, if Kubina was significantly cheaper to acquire, or if Kaberle won't waive his NTC, then it would make the decision pretty easy. I think the fit is predicated on the cost as much as anything else these days.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:58 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Kubina

Right handed, harder shot, more physical and has won a Stanley Cup before. I'm also guessing he would be a bit cheaper to acquire as he makes more than Kaberle.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:58 AM
le_sean

Kubina is actually physical and he was Tampa's best defenceman during their Cup run. That alone is enough to warrant trading for him over Kaberle. Plus he's a RH, which makes it easier to insert him in the lineup as opposed to Kaberle.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, if Kubina was significantly cheaper to acquire, or if Kaberle won't waive his NTC, then it would make the decision pretty easy. I think the fit is predicated on the cost as much as anything else these days.
His NTC expired when the leafs failed to make the playoffs last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
It's tough, but I lean toward Kubina.

Upside of Kaberle: excellent transition game, would solidify Montreal's identity as a puck-possession, quick-transition team. He's also solid defensively, of the Markov variety. Intelligent player.

Upside of Kubina: a big defenseman, strong shot, 240lbs and can lay opponents out with big hits. Will control large forwards down low, and can be an asset to a Montreal defense that lacks punishing defensemen beyond Komisarek.

Both Kaberle and Kubina bring unique assets to the table. To the individual claiming that Kaberle can do anything Kubina can, only better: you are incorrect. Kubina has a superior shot, a longer reach, is physically imposing, and can make game-changing hits. While he's not a big-time hitter, he's able to make the big hits and compete physically. He also brings Cup experience to the table.

Kaberle is the superior defenseman, and I like the transition, skating, and puck possession that he would bring to the table, but considering the relative cost of each of these players and the fact that both would bring tangible qualities that are needed by the club equally (in my opinion--though the transition game lately is looking like it needs more of a lift, which would give the nod to Kaberle) ... I would go with Kubina. Kaberle's on a different level talent-wise. He's a #1 or 1b defenseman, while Kubina's certainly a #2. That doesn't matter for Montreal, since Montreal needs the qualities that both players bring ... and that is why I opt with Kubina.

But that's said reluctantly, as the transition game is looking subpar of late, and that ought to be a strength in Montreal. If it continues to be below average, then you bite the bullet (provided it's not too large a bullet), and pay up for Kaberle. (this would mean benching Bouillon, though)
I tend to automatically oversimplify things when discussing anything related to the leafs, so their fans would understand me.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:03 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I prefer Kubina, in all honesty. I think Kaberle is a bit better overall but Kubina is pretty damn awesome and brings something to the team that we really need, whereas Kaberle is a bit more of what we already have.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
His NTC expired when the leafs failed to make the playoffs last year.
Kaberle's? I was under the impression that Kubina's had expired, but has Kaberle's really?

I still don't know if I see Burke blowing anything up, though... the Leafs might just be able to hang in the race until the deadline passes.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:18 PM
mcphee

I lean towards Kaberle as I just think he's better, probably a little underrated defensively. Kubina has been good against Mtl though, has a mean streak, and seems to be more motivated at the present.

My concern is that Kaberle seems to be a victim of the Leafs situation, maybe part of the problem rather than the solution. That's just an impression, I'd have to watch them more .

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I prefer Kubina, in all honesty. I think Kaberle is a bit better overall but Kubina is pretty damn awesome and brings something to the team that we really need, whereas Kaberle is a bit more of what we already have.
Very true plus Toronto for years have been telling Kaberle to shoot the puck and for some apparent reason he always passes off so the decision is an easy one unless we want to play keep away all game

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Pascal

ron wilson loooves Kubina so i don't think he'll be shipped anywhere...

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Erika

I'd take Pavel Kubina... He's a bit slow on skates, but he has something that all the Habs defensemen doesn't have: an elite NHL caliber slap shot.

I believe that he would cost a little less than Kaberle to acquire...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:55 PM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

Thanks everyone.....it seems your all "SPLIT" on the 2 of them. Different skills brings different needs!!!!

Here's hoping we can land one of them, because J-Beau is "CRAZY $$$$" and no guarantee to resign....

People mention Zitlicky from The Wild...is he a softie?
Not alot out there for our needs.....

Thanks again 4 the info....

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
TheCH*

No thanks to Kubina. His 5 million dollar salary may = no Komisarek.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Dark4ng3l

We could trade the guy in the summer to keep Komisarek if thats what we want. In that sense it's even better than rental.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Kriss E

Kaberle hands down.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:51 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
We could trade the guy in the summer to keep Komisarek if thats what we want. In that sense it's even better than rental.
This is what it says about his no trade clause:
" Pavel Kubina, TOR - NTC [limited, can only be traded to pre-specified teams - can be traded from the Entry Draft to August 15 in the summer after the Leafs miss the playoffs without his consent]"

Is Montreal even one of his pre specified teams? If they are and he actually agrees to come here, then he will not want to be moved immediately after the playoffs(highly doubtful anyway). And we would need his consent.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
No thanks to Kubina. His 5 million dollar salary may = no Komisarek.
I was thinking about that myself, but looking at the numbers it *is* feasible, but difficult.

One scenario would involve letting one of Tanguay or Kovalev go.

Even if we wanted to keep both of them, the further this season goes along with Plekanec underperforming and Higgins being injured (our two key RFAs) the more likely it is they'd want to sign smaller 1 year deals to increase the values of their next contracts. We could then re-sign them the summer after to better terms when Kubina's contract expires.

Probably just a pipe dream though.

Quote:
This is what it says about his no trade clause:
" Pavel Kubina, TOR - NTC [limited, can only be traded to pre-specified teams - can be traded from the Entry Draft to August 15 in the summer after the Leafs miss the playoffs without his consent]"

Is Montreal even one of his pre specified teams? If they are and he actually agrees to come here, then he will not want to be moved immediately after the playoffs(highly doubtful anyway). And we would need his consent.
I think once a no-trade clause is waived it cannot be used again. But I'm not sure about that.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote