HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Purchasing Skates

Old
01-06-2009, 01:56 AM
WickedWrister

vCash: 500
Purchasing Skates

*EDIT* Considering Nike Bauer Vapor IX's. Anyone know anything about these skates?

I've never played ice before but I'm thinking about taking it up. What are some affordable skates that I can start out with? I'm looking at web pages and seeing a HUGE difference in prices. There are Nike Bauer One95 for $650, One35's for $139 and One05's for as low as $47.99.

What is the big difference in these skates?

Anyway, I'm looking for something lightweight, and under $150 probably. Any recommendations?

Last edited by WickedWrister: 01-07-2009 at 09:51 PM.
WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 06:33 AM
DevilsFan38

Go to your local hockey store and have them fit you. Easton will fit different than NBH which will fit different than RBK, etc. If your skates don't fit right you won't be happy when you get out on the ice and try to skate on them. And they're one of the most important pieces of equipment, so it's worth it to spend a little more if you need to to make sure you get the one that fits best.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Grind Line

I started playing 6 months ago. I bought a really cheap pair of CCM skates. I now need and want better skates to progress further with. I'll probably end up with some mid range Easton skates having tried a few pairs they seem the best for me.
As already recommended go to the skate store and get measured etc. Spend what you need to and don't think you've got to spend loads to learn in.

Grind Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Placebo Effect

Speaking of CCM (sorry for semi hijacking of thread) I've been looking into getting skates as well to start playing ice hockey and my LHS has Vector Vibe, Vector Shock and Vector Control skates but I don't seem them anywhere else or on the CCM site. Are those just renamed models like the 04, 06, 08? It's the same with shoulder pads, elbow pads and shin pads. Going by color and design I can pretty much guess that is the case but if anyone knows for sure.

I've been looking at the Shock which are 199 since I am slightly tight on money atm (obviously will have to go in and get fitted, etc). I don't expect to be playing any serious hockey anytime soon and will probably just do stick and puck and eventually move on to drop in. Eventually though I hope to get on a team and do some league

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/catalog...ates_Player_Sr

Last edited by Placebo Effect: 01-06-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:18 PM
EmptyNetter

Lower price skates (under $100) have probably skimped in one or more of these areas:

padding (comfort)
stiffness/ankle support -- better skates boots are stiffer and need time to break in, and will last much longer
blade -- cheaper metal won't hold an edge/stay sharp

You should be able to get a good pair of skates for about $150-200. If that's more than you can afford I'd opt for a good pair of used skates rather than a cheap pair of new ones. You'll have a miserable time playing if your skates are uncomfortable.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
shattuck13

for good cheap skates buy one35s or if you can find some of last year models rbk 5k, they might be around the 150 range. my dad bought some one35s and he says he loves them. i wear the one95s and for the price of the one35 they are very good. just go to your local shop and buy them from there.

shattuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:51 PM
WickedWrister

what about Nike Bauer Vapor IX's? anyone know anything about these

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Devil Dancer

I don't know anything about the NB IXs, but I LOVE my bottom of the line Eastons. Here's the closest thing I could find:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hssynergy500sr.html

They lack serious padding, but I don't block a lot of hard shots with my feet at this level, and they're stupidly comfortable.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:00 AM
qwertysac

There's certain things in hockey that people shouldnt go the "cheap" route with, and i think that skates is definately one of them.

The difference in quality between the higher end skates is huge compared to the lower end ones. You're paying for quality, so chances are, if you're paying "nothing", you're usually going to get nothing in return. That being said, as a beginner there's no need for you to go out and buy skates that cost 400$+. But i wouldn't recommend the lowest priced skates you can find either, that's for sure.

Like somebody already mentioned, usually the biggest difference, is protection, comfort and ankle support. Which is already pretty much the most important things youd want in a skate. Then there's the minor differences like the skates breathability for your foot, the overall wieght of the skate, etc.

Another thing you should really take into consideration is the stainless steel blade. Usually lower end skates don't have one and in my opinion it's a must.

Also keep in mind skates usually last a long time, especially if you're not going to be playing 3-4 times a week plus. As a casual hockey player you can probably keep the same pair of skates for years.

The most important thing is to go and try the skates on yourself, don't just buy them based on what a sales rep tells you or what you heard. Think of it like buying a new pair of shoes. Make sure they fit right and make sure they're comfortable for you.

You seem like you're leaning towards some bauer skates so i'd suggest you go with the vapor XVI instead of the IX.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-vapor-xvi-sr.html

The price isn't too steep and its a good skate.

Hope this helped

Last edited by qwertysac: 01-09-2009 at 10:32 PM.
qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the main difference in the high end models to the lower ones is the weight. the one35s qill probably do the job, mayb rbk 5k

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyla View Post
Speaking of CCM (sorry for semi hijacking of thread) I've been looking into getting skates as well to start playing ice hockey and my LHS has Vector Vibe, Vector Shock and Vector Control skates but I don't seem them anywhere else or on the CCM site. Are those just renamed models like the 04, 06, 08? It's the same with shoulder pads, elbow pads and shin pads. Going by color and design I can pretty much guess that is the case but if anyone knows for sure.

I've been looking at the Shock which are 199 since I am slightly tight on money atm (obviously will have to go in and get fitted, etc). I don't expect to be playing any serious hockey anytime soon and will probably just do stick and puck and eventually move on to drop in. Eventually though I hope to get on a team and do some league

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/catalog...ates_Player_Sr
Those models are what's referred to as SMU's. They are made specially for the store that's selling them and are based off the stock brand model. There are usually some slight difference between them and the corresponding brand model.

To the original poster. First, don't concern yourself with weight. You won't feel the difference and it doesn't become a real factor until the higher end models.

$47 dollar skates are for the people who skate once a year on the pond or hit the rink for public skating. If you're gonna play hockey don't buy new skates in that price range.

Since you are just taking it up you might want to consider going with some used skates....as long as they fit correctly. You'll get a better skate than what you can afford new. For new, I wouldn't spend more that $200....I don't care what people say. I'd check out Vapor XXII's, Vector 04's, Supreme One35's, or even an Easton Synergy SE6. Those are all less than your $150 budget and will do what you need them to do.

You can find some killer deals on Mission skates and gear right now. You can end up with close to high end skate for little more than half of your skate budget.

I'll finish with this advice. To stress it's importance I will put it in bold with all caps.

BUY THE SKATE FITS YOU THE BEST REGARDLESS OF THE BRAND!

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Taranis_24

Send a message via MSN to Taranis_24
couple quick questions about the one35's and Bauer in general. How is the width? I have RBK's now but nearing their end. I got them regular but are pretty tight on the sides. For an average foot with Bauer's should I look at D's or the E's?

Taranis_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis_24 View Post
couple quick questions about the one35's and Bauer in general. How is the width? I have RBK's now but nearing their end. I got them regular but are pretty tight on the sides. For an average foot with Bauer's should I look at D's or the E's?
ive had alot of bauers and have a regular foot and D works fine

Old
03-20-2009, 03:29 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
ive had alot of bauers and have a regular foot and D works fine
In what line? The vapors and the Supremes fit completely differently.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
In what line? The vapors and the Supremes fit completely differently.
true, i should have specified. ive had supremes. ive had 2000s, 8000s, and 8090s. all of them are d width and i think i have a pretty normal foot

Old
03-20-2009, 04:52 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
true, i should have specified. ive had supremes. ive had 2000s, 8000s, and 8090s. all of them are d width and i think i have a pretty normal foot
Yeah, the vapors are a lot narrower.

And there is no such thing as a normal foot. Everybodys are screwy in different ways.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Yeah, the vapors are a lot narrower.

And there is no such thing as a normal foot. Everybodys are screwy in different ways.
thats true. i meant width, i dont have duck feet but i have a bit of a high arch. the one think that kind of hurts, really only on the 2000s, was teh heel. it was a bit tight