HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mock Offseason

Old
01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
rizface

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I don't see Schneider reaching Luongo or Lundqvist status, but I could see him being at the level of Giguere/Backstrom/Kiprusoff at the tier just below.
and that's what more than good enough for the flyers. If they get a Kipper type goalie or at a level around his, I just don't see any team in the east as good and as well rounded as philly from top to bottom.

rizface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Slowbro

does no one think munroe deserves a shot to be 1b for the flyers?

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 03:48 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Mock. Yeah. Off. Yeah. Season. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.

That's seriously all I can think of when I read this thread's title.
dumb and dumber classic!

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
captainpaxil

i think the flyers build from within. letting free agents walk and replacing them with young players.

knuble walks replaced by both giroux and jvr
Kukkonen just goes. if he makes it to june on the flyers ill be surprised.
hatcher retires replaced by guennin or alberts who gets a 2 years 2mil offer
vaananen walks leaving ice time for parent
upshall gets offered the minimum 10% and we take the pick if he signs an offer sheet.
brion signs elsewhere at 4 mil a season
nitty stays for the chance to be a starter at 2 years 3.5

flyers draft centers and goalies. they usually do bpa but there are trends in each draft.

draft day trade of andreas nodl for a playoff proven backup (probably one of johann hedberg or brian boucher) and a 2nd

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cannon View Post
does no one think munroe deserves a shot to be 1b for the flyers?
no one ever intentionally develops a backup. you try and groom a starter and monroe isnt one at the nhl level. hes playing really well this year and may get a look at camp but hell probably have to compete with someone who has experience at the nhl level.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:25 AM
mikedifr

Ok here goes....

Trade Jones for a bag of pucks to clear salary
Let Knuble go (as much as I love the guy)
Let Alberts walk
Let Nitty walk

re-sign Upshall, Vaananen, Biron

Trade Lupul either in a deal to get Schneider or maybe add picks and get one of the goalie prospects from Atlanta or Tampa. (This is the potentially unrealistic part of my offseason)

Sign Malhotra (this one is for you CsC )

If you like Briere at wing:

Gagne Richards Giroux
Hartnell Carter Briere
JVR Malhotra Upshall
Cote Metro Nodl
Asham

or if you like Briere at center

Gagne Richards Nodl/Hartnell (I think you could get more from Nodl playing with Richards)
Hartnell/Nodl Briere Giroux
JVR Carter Upshall
Cote Malhotra Metro

Coburn Timonen
Carle Vaananen
Sbisa Parent (I think Parent is good enough defensively that you dont need to worry about having 2 young dmen on the same pairing)

Biron
Schneider

Knuble can always be brought back (if cheaper) if you dont feel Nodl/Giroux/JVR will be ready to play in the top 9 (or maybe JVR needs to stay in AHL for a year due to cap issues)

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I think your dissmissing the impact that Knuble has on the team. Our team is very short on veteran players. If you think about it, we are looking at

Kimmo, Briere, Knuble, Metro. I really wouldn't lose knuble. But for the people saying that he will sign cheap. I very much doubt it. He will want his value considering its the last contract he will ever sign

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:27 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I think your dissmissing the impact that Knuble has on the team. Our team is very short on veteran players. If you think about it, we are looking at

Kimmo, Briere, Knuble, Metro. I really wouldn't lose knuble. But for the people saying that he will sign cheap. I very much doubt it. He will want his value considering its the last contract he will ever sign
I would love to keep Knuble, I am just trying to be realistic in thinking they wont be able to unless he decides he is going to sign for like 1-1.5 million

Old
01-06-2009, 09:20 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Sign Malhotra (this one is for you CsC )
I can't believe I forgot to suggest that before!

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 06:43 PM
rshnk29

This is how my team would look next season.

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Lupul-Carter-Hartnell
Nodl-Briere-Asham
Kalinski-Powe-Gratton

Timmonen-Coburn
Vaananen-Carle
Sbisa-Parent
Kukkonen

Ersberg
Munroe/Aubin/Conklin

This should keep the team cap compliant as well as give them a young core and a goalie that can win now.

rshnk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnk29 View Post

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Lupul-Carter-Hartnell
Nodl-Briere-Asham
Kalinski-Powe-Gratton

Timmonen-Coburn
Vaananen-Carle
Sbisa-Parent
Kukkonen

Ersberg
Munroe/Aubin/Conklin

This should keep the team cap compliant as well as give them a young core and a goalie that can win now.
Brutal third line. Makes no sense at all.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Corduroy

Quote:

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Lupul-Carter-Hartnell
Nodl-Briere-Asham
Kalinski-Powe-Gratton

Timmonen-Coburn
Vaananen-Carle
Sbisa-Parent
Kukkonen

Ersberg
Munroe/Aubin/Conklin

I like the Ersberg idea. If the Flyers sing Conklin does that mean they get into the Winter Classic game?

Corduroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:30 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Lupul-Carter-Hartnell
Nodl-Briere-Asham
Kalinski-Powe-Gratton

Timmonen-Coburn
Vaananen-Carle
Sbisa-Parent
Kukkonen

Ersberg
Munroe/Aubin/Conklin

Well We lose 7 players out of nowhere. Upshall I guess we gave away for a 6th round pick or something? Exactly what storm said, that third line doesnt make sense at all. What about JVR making it? And we decide to keep Gratton who I dont think has won a fight yet over Cote. Theres just so many things wrong with that post

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'll give a shot for what I think next year's team will look like:

Gagne - Richards - Hartnell
Upshall - Carter - Giroux
JVR - Briere - Nodl
Kalinski - Metro - Asham
Cote

As for the defense:

Timmonen - Coburn
Carle - Vaananen
Sbisa - Parent
Alberts

The goaltending:

Khabibulin
Munroe

As much as I hate the idea of Lupul being dealt, I don't think there's any way the Flyers would be able to justify having 10.7 million dollars in salary tied up in the third line. If the Flyers trade Lupul, I really hope they end up getting high draft picks or blue chip prospects for him.

With regards to the D, Alberts has been a pleasant surprise for us. While we could use a D-man with a nasty disposition, fact is, none of the guys we have on the current roster or in the minors have that disposition. Alberts comes close in that he can hit and hit hard, same with Vaananen.

Speaking about Vaananen, he needs to be rewarded for a very good year he's had so far. He's played smart and physical and he's been a very good mentor for Sbisa. As for Sbisa, I think he and Parent are going to make a very solid third pairing. 17 to 19 minutes a night of ice time for the two of them at this stage is more than sufficient. The one thing about Sbisa that really stood out for me has been his poise.

The goaltending is where I expect the biggest shake up. As much as I like Biron, I think Holmgren will look at a guy like Khabibulin and sign him to a two or three year deal while the Flyers start the process of grooming a goalie for the future. Maybe it's just me, but I really think the Flyers are going to go after a top notch youngster like Pavelic or Schneider. Maybe even Montoya, even though his play in San Antonio has slipped a bit (I think it's because he's bored with the AHL and he's ready to make the jump to the NHL). I've got Munroe as the back up, but really, if Holmgren can acquire one of those three, the Flyers have secured a future number one guy for the team.

As good of a guy Mike Knuble has been, it's time for him to go. People may say we need his veteran leadership, but guys like Carter, Richards, Gagner, Hartnell, Upshall, Briere, Metro, Asham, Timmonen, Coburn, Carle, Vaananen, etc....have all been around for a while now, so they should be more than comfortable in accepting a leadership role. Yes, the majority of it is young, but these guys have all played a minimum of four seasons now. They should start being leaders in the locker room and guys like Knuble should be starting to get phased out as the team moves forward.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Corduroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

JVR - Briere - Nodl
Kalinski - Metro - Asham
Cote

As for the defense:

Timmonen - Coburn
Carle - Vaananen
Sbisa - Parent
Alberts

The goaltending:

Khabibulin
Munroe

As much as I hate the idea of Lupul being dealt, I don't think there's any way the Flyers would be able to justify having 10.7 million dollars in salary tied up in the third line. If the Flyers trade Lupul, I really hope they end up getting high draft picks or blue chip prospects for him.

With regards to the D, Alberts has been a pleasant surprise for us. While we could use a D-man with a nasty disposition, fact is, none of the guys we have on the current roster or in the minors have that disposition. Alberts comes close in that he can hit and hit hard, same with Vaananen.

Speaking about Vaananen, he needs to be rewarded for a very good year he's had so far. He's played smart and physical and he's been a very good mentor for Sbisa. As for Sbisa, I think he and Parent are going to make a very solid third pairing. 17 to 19 minutes a night of ice time for the two of them at this stage is more than sufficient. The one thing about Sbisa that really stood out for me has been his poise.

The goaltending is where I expect the biggest shake up. As much as I like Biron, I think Holmgren will look at a guy like Khabibulin and sign him to a two or three year deal while the Flyers start the process of grooming a goalie for the future. Maybe it's just me, but I really think the Flyers are going to go after a top notch youngster like Pavelic or Schneider. Maybe even Montoya, even though his play in San Antonio has slipped a bit (I think it's because he's bored with the AHL and he's ready to make the jump to the NHL). I've got Munroe as the back up, but really, if Holmgren can acquire one of those three, the Flyers have secured a future number one guy for the team.

As good of a guy Mike Knuble has been, it's time for him to go. People may say we need his veteran leadership, but guys like Carter, Richards, Gagner, Hartnell, Upshall, Briere, Metro, Asham, Timmonen, Coburn, Carle, Vaananen, etc....have all been around for a while now, so they should be more than comfortable in accepting a leadership role. Yes, the majority of it is young, but these guys have all played a minimum of four seasons now. They should start being leaders in the locker room and guys like Knuble should be starting to get phased out as the team moves forward.

I like your train of thought -- but Isnt Khabibulin getting long in the tooth? At this point looking at next year I agree that Knuble and Lupul have to go. Knuble -- well his hands have seen better days, and it seems so has his brain. He has been taking the same bad penalties on the PP for 3 years now. Lupul just doesnt seem to get it. I wish Homer would of been more pro-active in Signing Richards and Carter to deals like Lupul got. Alberts should stay depending on price -- 1.5M a year I think is a good figure, same with Ossi

Old
01-07-2009, 09:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post
I like your train of thought -- but Isnt Khabibulin getting long in the tooth? At this point looking at next year I agree that Knuble and Lupul have to go. Knuble -- well his hands have seen better days, and it seems so has his brain. He has been taking the same bad penalties on the PP for 3 years now. Lupul just doesnt seem to get it. I wish Homer would of been more pro-active in Signing Richards and Carter to deals like Lupul got. Alberts should stay depending on price -- 1.5M a year I think is a good figure, same with Ossi
Khabibulin will be 36 once the season is over. When you consider that he keeps himself in very good shape, three years of Khabibulin at 4 million a year might not be that bad at all.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Corduroy

Quote:
Khabibulin will be 36 once the season is over. When you consider that he keeps himself in very good shape, three years of Khabibulin at 4 million a year might not be that bad at all.

to me the only problem is that then the team is on the hook for 12M regardless. Thats a small cap hit per say -- but if he loses it and is bought out... I could see a 1 year deal but over 35 and long contracts are scary

Old
01-08-2009, 09:28 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post
I like the Ersberg idea. If the Flyers sing Conklin does that mean they get into the Winter Classic game?
I wouldnt mind Conklin, not as a start though......I did hear somewhere that they were once talking about doing a game up at Penn State - Philly vs. Pitt, which would be awesome!!!! Maybe if we sign Conklin that will happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Brutal third line. Makes no sense at all.
Agreed

Quote:

JVR - Briere - Nodl
Kalinski - Metro - Asham
Cote

As for the defense:

Timmonen - Coburn
Carle - Vaananen
Sbisa - Parent
Alberts

The goaltending:

Khabibulin
Munroe

I kinds like your line combinations actually....JVR and Nodl with Briere sounds interesting, my only concern is how are they defensively and how much grit will JVR and Nodl bring to that line??? I might just want to switch one of them off that line.

I agree with you on Lupul, I just dont think we have a choice....I just dont want it to be a salary dump. Either use him in some type of package to improve the team, get a goaltender prospect in here or move up in the draft....Or I wouldnt mind a Lupul/Carle package for an upgrade to Carle, although that would be unlikely.

DO NOT WANT Khabibulin....Sorry, this is the only thing I disagree with. Since that cup year in Tampa he has been maybe a tiny bit better than Biron, up until this year that is, if he has been at all.....He appears to me to be one of those guys that just shows up big in his contract year and is mediocre the rest of the time....Although I do agree with you that we might see a shake up here, which makes me very nervous to be honest

I agree on Knuble, love the guy and defend him constantly on here but we might just have to say bye......Now if he is willing to sign very cheap and fill the role that Andreychuk did on TB (mostly 4th liner, PP specialist) I would be all for that....especially if someone like JVR is not completely ready. Losing Knuble's production and Lupul's in the same offseason, guys like Giroux, JVR and Nodl best be ready to step up or we could be in trouble if the defense and team play at even strength does not improve to compensate for less scoring.

Old
01-08-2009, 09:37 AM
rshnk29

Thoughts on the rebuttals from my post above.

Until the instigator is gone, there is no need for this team to carry Cote to play 3-4 minutes a game.

Upshall can be traded for a mid round pick.

The third line maybe better than anyone thinks. Asham would be the wall player, while Nodl would be the new Prospal to Briere.

As for JVR, he will need at least one if not more seasons in the AHL till he is fully ready. I believe he has to take the same road Bobby Ryan and Ryan Carter have done with Anaheim before he is NHL ready.

The biggest thing the team I mentioned does though, is that it keeps the young core together while still staying under the cap. Those players are already on a team that is leading the Atlantic Division and 3rd in the Conference standings. I believe they will work very nicely together.

Old
01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Thoughts on the rebuttals from my post above.

Until the instigator is gone, there is no need for this team to carry Cote to play 3-4 minutes a game.

Upshall can be traded for a mid round pick.

The third line maybe better than anyone thinks. Asham would be the wall player, while Nodl would be the new Prospal to Briere.

As for JVR, he will need at least one if not more seasons in the AHL till he is fully ready. I believe he has to take the same road Bobby Ryan and Ryan Carter have done with Anaheim before he is NHL ready.

The biggest thing the team I mentioned does though, is that it keeps the young core together while still staying under the cap. Those players are already on a team that is leading the Atlantic Division and 3rd in the Conference standings. I believe they will work very nicely together.
Upshall doesnt need to be traded, he wont cost much, and he would be a much better wall player for Briere than Asham. Asham is not a waste of a hockey player like some enforcers are, but he has no business playing with someone like Briere, unless that other winger is a pure stud, kinda when you had Keith Jones or Trent Klatt playing with Lindros/LeClair, and even both of them were much better hockey players than Asham.

I dont disagree on JVR, I wouldnt mind him spending one full year in the minors. I think they completely screwed up Downie by bringing him up and down, and I dont want this team to completely rely on JVR, Giroux, Nodl to replace Knuble, Lupul.

Nodl hasnt done much yet with his 26 games, but I believe he will become at the least a very good third liner in this league.

Old
01-08-2009, 12:26 PM
rshnk29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Upshall doesnt need to be traded, he wont cost much, and he would be a much better wall player for Briere than Asham. Asham is not a waste of a hockey player like some enforcers are, but he has no business playing with someone like Briere, unless that other winger is a pure stud, kinda when you had Keith Jones or Trent Klatt playing with Lindros/LeClair, and even both of them were much better hockey players than Asham.

I dont disagree on JVR, I wouldnt mind him spending one full year in the minors. I think they completely screwed up Downie by bringing him up and down, and I dont want this team to completely rely on JVR, Giroux, Nodl to replace Knuble, Lupul.

Nodl hasnt done much yet with his 26 games, but I believe he will become at the least a very good third liner in this league.
I understand the worry of Asham and Nodl with Briere, but I see them complementing each other well. Nodl to me seems like a play maker in the making that would play the give and go game well. I fully believe that Asham is getting back to his Islanders form. He would benefit playing with two play makers and setting up or crashing the net.

As for Upshall, I think it will cost at least 2 million to have him come back for next season. I also don't see Knuble taking anything less than what he makes this year.

Everything I have done has gone by the numbers on nhlnumbers.com. They currently have the Flyers current cap hit at 48.212 million. I believe the line-up I posted, holes and all leaves them just under the cap if it stays the same as this season.

I also believe I kept Lupul, so they wouldn't need anyone to take up for his lost production. I think we will know more about the offseason moves as the trade deadline nears. Who Holmer keeps or trades will go along way for that to happen.

Old
01-08-2009, 12:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Ersberg has played less than 30 games. He has been very good to date with the Kings, but not someone who should a 1 without a 1A.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
I understand the worry of Asham and Nodl with Briere, but I see them complementing each other well. Nodl to me seems like a play maker in the making that would play the give and go game well. I fully believe that Asham is getting back to his Islanders form. He would benefit playing with two play makers and setting up or crashing the net.
I hope you've got a method for stopping goals against on that line. Is asham going to do all of the defending?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:17 PM
rshnk29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I hope you've got a method for stopping goals against on that line. Is asham going to do all of the defending?
Hope and pray, like I do now with the current 3rd and 4th liners.

Old
01-12-2009, 08:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=29402

Look like some have jumped the gun on Olivier Roy. He is no longer in the #1 ranked goalie in North America.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote