HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to play at the Big O

Old
01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Mustafa*

vCash: 500
I'll be there for sure, with my father.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:45 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Btw, why not have it on the Dec 9?? instead of Nov 28..
Because the Big O is closed from December to April.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Fido22

I don't like the Big O. I hope they build a new stadium downtown for this.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Something like a big Z?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:23 PM
mcphee

Playing at that abortion would forever taint the franchise and probably cause them to fold due to cholera or be re-located to Fort Lauderdale. A pox on anyone who would attend.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Yup, a cozy 40,000 seater would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Playing at that abortion would forever taint the franchise and probably cause them to fold due to cholera or be re-located to Fort Lauderdale. A pox on anyone who would attend.
Yeah, but tell us how you really feel about it.

I have nice memories of the Olympic Stadium. Was there for both Expos and Alouettes home openers there in 76, 77. Was there for expos playoffs as well. You pack 60 000 people in that place, and it's a great stadium. Of course, you wouldn't know, it's east of Saint-Laurent...

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-06-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:35 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Cooler if it was open air but would still be an amazing event and I would no doubt do everything in my power to attend.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
This type of game is about exposure in the US...the only way to generate that with a game in Montreal is to have the Habs play the Rangers? Maybe the Red Wings?
Who the **** cares?

In this situation, have the Habs play the Leafs, air it nation wide on CBC, TSN and RDS and watch the ratings be better than the latest winter classic.

US can have their own winter classic if they want to.

This is going to be awesome !!

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Yeah, but tell us how you really feel about it.

I have nice memories of the Olympic Stadium. Was there for both Expos and Alouettes home openers there in 76, 77. Was there for expos playoffs as well. You pack 60 000 people in that place, and it's a great stadium. Of course, you wouldn't know, it's east of Saint-Laurent...
I'll have you know that I was ejected form that stadium more than you were there. I was at the Als home opener there, vaguely remember Dickie Harris doing something. I was kind of insulted that you didn't say hello. I was there for the Expo playoffs, I remember the Friday noght game against the Dodgers, going into the Aird Tavern afterwards and you could still hear the chant of Steve Steve Steve. Easily the most exuberant I've ever seen a Mtl sports crowd, easily.

Old
01-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
I'll have you know that I was ejected form that stadium more than you were there. I was at the Als home opener there, vaguely remember Dickie Harris doing something. I was kind of insulted that you didn't say hello. I was there for the Expo playoffs, I remember the Friday noght game against the Dodgers, going into the Aird Tavern afterwards and you could still hear the chant of Steve Steve Steve. Easily the most exuberant I've ever seen a Mtl sports crowd, easily.
To be honest, I don't remember much about those home openers, except that a good friend of my mine spilled a tray of 6 beers (entirely), rushing back to our seats just before game started. If memory serves me right, we were well over 90 000 fans at that game. I don't remember Dickie Harris doing anything special, but I do remember Dickie Harris. But that Expos Friday night game, I agree, was something else. None of that usual "when is it going to be finished?" stuff from my g/f.

Maybe we were 95 000 for the Als opener...

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:15 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
To be honest, I don't remember much about those home openers, except that a good friend of my mine spilled a tray of 6 beers (entirely), rushing back to our seats just before game started. If memory serves me right, we were well over 90 000 fans at that game. I don't remember Dickie Harris doing anything special, but I do remember Dickie Harris. But that Expos Friday night game, I agree, was something else. None of that usual "when is it going to be finished?" stuff from my g/f.

Maybe we were 95 000 for the Als opener...
Jerry White hit a 3 run homer, right in front of us, we were down the 3rd baseline and couldn't quite follow it to see if it was fair or foul, I just remember the explosion of sound when it was ruled fair.

Still, my last memories of the place weren't good ones. It was neglected, poorly run and a monument to stupidity in the end, in what seemed like an organized attempt to turn us away. Waddaya gonna do ?

Old
01-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Meh. I rather see them play an outdoor game at Molson with 20k rather than at the Big O with 60k.

Zeus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Who the **** cares?

In this situation, have the Habs play the Leafs, air it nation wide on CBC, TSN and RDS and watch the ratings be better than the latest winter classic.

US can have their own winter classic if they want to.

This is going to be awesome !!
Easy there big fella...the idea for the NHL is to gain big exposure in the US, not to cater to us here in Canada. I agree it could be anawesome thing to have the Leafs and Habs play in front of 80,000 people, but it does nothing for the business of growing the NHL fanbase in the US. The New Year's Day bash could still be held in the US and this may still please the NHL.

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:49 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Easy there big fella...the idea for the NHL is to gain big exposure in the US, not to cater to us here in Canada. I agree it could be anawesome thing to have the Leafs and Habs play in front of 80,000 people, but it does nothing for the business of growing the NHL fanbase in the US. The New Year's Day bash could still be held in the US and this may still please the NHL.
just a cash grab.

Old
01-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Fido22

I think we should play a combined Leafs-Bruins team.

That would be awesome hatred.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Dripper

vCash: 205
Quote:
I think we should play a combined Leafs-Bruins team.

That would be awesome hatred.
What about a double-header?
Montreal vs Boston
Hamilton vs Toronto

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Holy **** I want to be there.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Jerry White hit a 3 run homer, right in front of us, we were down the 3rd baseline and couldn't quite follow it to see if it was fair or foul, I just remember the explosion of sound when it was ruled fair.

Still, my last memories of the place weren't good ones. It was neglected, poorly run and a monument to stupidity in the end, in what seemed like an organized attempt to turn us away. Waddaya gonna do ?
I thought you were some kinda farm boy from Kingston or something. If you were there through all this excitement at the Big O, then what are you doing in some stickhole yonderland watching carrots grow?

Anyway, yeah Dan Bigras was pretty much bang on. I think we should bake him a cake or something, send a few Mae Wests on UPS.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote