HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

NHL 09 Mock Draft (December)

Old
12-27-2008, 10:29 PM
JeffYear92*

vCash: 500
NHL 09 Mock Draft (December)

Hey Guys,Just wanted to hear your opinion on the mock draft that i found on http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

1: NYI
Victor Hedman
Ht/Wt:6.06/220 lbs
Position:LD
Drafted From:Modo (Swe JE)

2: Tampa
John Tavares
Ht/Wt:6/199 lbs
Position:C
Drafted From:Oshawa (OHL)

3: ATL
Jared Cowen
Ht/Wt:6.05/216 lbs
Drafted From:Spokane (WHL)

4: St Louis
Matt Duchene
Ht/Wt:5.10.5/190 lbs
Drafted From:Brampton (OHL)

5: Ottawa
Magnus SvenssonPaajarvi
Ht/Wt:6.01/187 lbs
Position:LW
Drafted From:Timra (Swe JE)

6: Dallas
Evander Kane
Ht/Wt:6/170 lbs
Drafted From:Vancouver (WHL)

7: Edm
Jordan Schroeder
Ht/Wt:5.08/168 lbs
Position:RW
Drafted From:USA U-18 NTDP

8: LA
Richard Panik
Ht/Wt:6.02/185 lbs
Drafted From:Trinec (Cze Jr)

9: CLB
Nazem Kadri
Ht/Wt:6/175 lbs
Drafted From:London (OHL)

10: Tor
Brayden Schenn
Ht/Wt:6/196 lbs
Drafted From:Brandon (WHL)

11: COL
Jeremy Morin

12: FLA
Zack Kassian
Ht/Wt:6.03/209 lbs
Drafted Frometerborough (OHL)

13: Min
Drew Shore
Ht/Wt:6.02/165 lbs

14: NASH
Ryan Ellis
Ht/Wt:5.1/175 lbs
Position:RD
Drafted From:Windsor (OHL)

15: Buff
Jacob Josefson
Ht/Wt:5.11/174 lbs
Drafted Fromjurgarden (Swe JE)

16: PHX
Peter Holland
Ht/Wt:6.01/178 lbs
Drafted From: Guelph (OHL)

17: Car
Stefan Elliott
Ht/Wt:6/175 lbs
Drafted From: Saskatoon (WHL)

18: PIT
Dmitry Kulikov
Ht/Wt:6.01/195 lbs
Position
Drafted From: Drummondville (QMJHL)

19: Ducks
Simon Despres
Ht/Wt:6.03/208 lbs
Drafted From: Saint John (QMJHL)

20: VAN
Scott Glennie
Ht/Wt:6.01/174 lbs
Drafted From: Brandon (WHL)

21: Cal
Tommi Kivisto
Ht/Wt:6.01.5/189 lbs
Drafted From:Red Deer (WHL)

22: NJ
Ethan Werek
Ht/Wt:6.00.5/184 lbs
Drafted From: Stouffville OPJHL

23: MTL
Taylor Doherty
Ht/Wt:6.08/220 lbs
Drafted From: Kingston (OHL)

24: WASH
Landon Ferraro
Ht/Wt:5.11/165 lbs
Drafted From: Red Deer (WHL)

25: PHI
Louis Leblanc
Ht/Wt:5.11/170 lbs
Drafted From: Omaha (USHL)

26: CLB
David Rundblad
Ht/Wt:6.02/185 lbs
Drafted From: Skelleftea (Swe JE)

27: Nyr
Ryan O'Reilly
Ht/Wt:6/190 lbs
Drafted From : Erie (OHL)

28: DET
Erik Haula
Ht/Wt:5.11/170 lbs
Drafted From: S hattuck St. (Minn. HS)

29: BOS
Calvin deHaan
Position
Drafted From: Oshawa (OHL)

30: Ottawa From Tampa from San Jose
Carl Klingberg
Ht/Wt:6.02/191 lbs
Drafted From: V. Frolunda Jr

I Like Schenn to Toronto,i like the fit of that

I cant see NYI passing on Jt

MSP in Ottawa,would be a great fit

Panik in La would be interesting,i would like the fit

I think Buff Takes Holland at 15 instead

MTL picks is interesting,i like the fit

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 10:05 AM
cantwell7

vCash: 360
Stamkos / Taveras
Schenn & Schenn
Hedman / Okposo / Bailey

Geeez the future would look some bright for them.

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
NYI doesn't take Hedman they take Tavares, he's their next Mike Bossy and he would bring a hell of a lot more fans to the arena then Hedman would

If TAM had the 1st overall I am sure they would take Hedman, their defense is brutal and Hedman is a future 6'7 - Niklas Lidstrom, and besides they already have their two dynamite forwards in Lecavalier and Stamkos

I am not so sure about the Cowen pick here, I think they would either pick a centerman or a winger to make Kovalchuk's life in Atlanta better, the poor guy has no offensive help. Bogosian, Enstrom, Valabik, Oystrick, etc...

I like the St. Louis pick, Duchene is pure sniper. He is fast, sneaky and his shot is deadly. He would look real well along with Patrik Berglund. He would help revive the fanbase in St. Louis

I love the Paajarvi pick for Ottawa. We have only one potential top 6 forward in our system and his name is Ilya Zubov. Once Alfie retires we have his replacement. Paajarvi is extremely fast and has great hands. Future 80+ point scorer IMO

I am sure Dallas won't stay this low but I like the Evander Kane pick. He is obliterating the "dub" and would further boost the Stars offense. I think a defenseman might have been a better pick here, just to ease the loss of Zubov when he retires but after Cowen there is a steep drop in talent for defensemen other than Ryan Ellis but he is very risky

I really doubt they would take Schroder when Richard Panik is sitting in the stands. He is Milan Hejduk v2.0 and would look amazing sniping corners with Hemsky feeding him pucks. They want a sniper for Hemsky, not another playmaker

Not sure with LA, they could go for a forward, defenseman or even a goalie.

CLB NEEDS DEFENSE!! Nash, Brassard, Voracek, Filatov. They need no more offense at all, their future defense is a little shaky and I would pick either Cowen (if available), Ryan Ellis or Stefan Elliott.

Two Schenns is better than one

Nice pick for Colorado in Jeremy Morin the U.S kid. When Sakic retires Colorado's offense will be worse than it already is, I would go with either Morin, Shore or Nazem Kadri

I think Florida takes a centerman here. Horton and Frolik occupy the wings while Matthias is the second line centerman. I think Peter Holland or Nazem Kadri would mesh nicely in Florida

Minny definatly takes Zack Kassian if available. He is the perfect fit for their new "rough 'n tough" style

Nashville does not take a defenseman, nor a goaltender in the 1st round in 2009. Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Franson, Blum and Klein are their future defense corps and their goaltenders are Chet Pickard, Dan Ellis, and Pekka Rinne. Their forwards are thin and since the fleeing of Alexander Radulov to Russia they have been short of goals. Morin or Shore would be good picks here

Buffalo could go for a goaltender here but they do have Miller and Enroth. I personally think they will go for a defenseman but Josefsson is a good pick here

Phoenix goes for a defenseman or goaltender here. I am not sure if Montoya is their saviour though so I would give them Oliver Roy here

Ellis or Elliott would be perfect fits for their run and gun system. They picked Boychuk last year, when most would have picked a defenseman, it is time to replenish the backend

Winger. Probably a goal scorer for Crosby. Scott Glennie would be a nice fit

When Niedermyer retires, Anaheim will need more help on defense. I like the Depres pick a lot, he is the perfect Anaheim player

Either a high-scoring forward or a defenseman, they have enough 3rd liners. The highly skilled Rajala would be great alongside the Sedin bros or Cody Hodgson

The Flames are stacked on D and Iginla could use some help. Landon Ferraro would be a great fit

When Brodeur retires, who is going to carry the team in New Jersey? Mike Lee is a fantastic goaltender, and is a small-notch below Oliver Roy

Lol the Canadiens are pretty much stacked in every area of their team. They definatly don't need a goaltender and forwards are pretty good. I would pick Tommi Kvisto or Dmitry Kulikov

Not sure what to do with Washington. Maybe Ethan Werek or Taylor Doherty?

Philadelphia doesn't need anymore forwards. And there isn't a goaltender other than Oliver Roy or Mike Lee that reaches the first round IMO. Taylor Doherty, Tommi Kvisto, Dmitry Kulikov, or David Rundbland

Like I said Columbus needs no more forwards, if they had more they would be coming out of their ***holes. I really like Calvin DeHaan and think he would fit nicely with Columbus

I like Ryan O'Rielly to NYR, they lost a huge chunk of their future offense when they lost Cherepanov

Carl Klingberg to Detroit fo sure

I really like Tomas Vincour to Boston, he could become a big name if he could put it all together and score more

And finally Marcus Foligno to Ottawa. Foligno is already bigger than Nick and is scoring around the same pace as Nick did. Think of a Foligno - ??? - Foligno line, that would be amazing.

So here is how I think the draft will turn out:

1. New York Islanders - John Tavares
2. Tampa Bay Lightning - Victor Hedman
3. Atlanta Thrashers - Jared Cowen
4. St. Louis Blues - Matt Duchene
5. Ottawa Senators - Magnus Svensson Paarjarvi
6. Dallas Stars - Evander Kane
7. Edmonton Oilers - Richard Panik
8. Los Angeles Kings - Jordan Schroeder
9. Columbus Blue Jackets - Nazem Kadri
10. Toronto Maple Leafs - Brayden Schenn
11. Colorado Avalanche - Jeremy Morin
12. Florida Panthers - Peter Holland
13. Minnesota Wild - Zack Kassian
14. Nashville Predators - Drew Shore
15. Buffalo Sabres - Jacob Josefsson
16. Phoenix Coyotes - Oliver Roy
17. Carolina Hurricanes - Ryan Ellis
18. Pittsburgh Penguins - Scott Glennie
19. Anaheim Ducks - Simon Despres
20. Vancouver Canucks - Toni Rajala
21. Calgary Flames - Landon Ferraro
22. New Jersey Devils - Mike Lee
23. Montreal Canadiens - Tommi Kvisto
24. Washington Capitals - Dmitri Kulikov
25. Philadelphia Flyers - Brandon Maxwell
26. Columbus Blue Jackets - Taylor Doherty
27. New York Rangers - Ryan O'Reilly
28. Detroit Red Wings - Carl Klingberg
29. Boston Bruins - Tomas Vincour
30. Ottawa Senators - Marcus Foligno

Forgive me if I messed up with a couple of the teams, I am not Pierre McGuire

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2008, 11:32 PM
JeffYear92*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
NYI doesn't take Hedman they take Tavares, he's their next Mike Bossy and he would bring a hell of a lot more fans to the arena then Hedman would

If TAM had the 1st overall I am sure they would take Hedman, their defense is brutal and Hedman is a future 6'7 - Niklas Lidstrom, and besides they already have their two dynamite forwards in Lecavalier and Stamkos

I am not so sure about the Cowen pick here, I think they would either pick a centerman or a winger to make Kovalchuk's life in Atlanta better, the poor guy has no offensive help. Bogosian, Enstrom, Valabik, Oystrick, etc...

I like the St. Louis pick, Duchene is pure sniper. He is fast, sneaky and his shot is deadly. He would look real well along with Patrik Berglund. He would help revive the fanbase in St. Louis

I love the Paajarvi pick for Ottawa. We have only one potential top 6 forward in our system and his name is Ilya Zubov. Once Alfie retires we have his replacement. Paajarvi is extremely fast and has great hands. Future 80+ point scorer IMO

I am sure Dallas won't stay this low but I like the Evander Kane pick. He is obliterating the "dub" and would further boost the Stars offense. I think a defenseman might have been a better pick here, just to ease the loss of Zubov when he retires but after Cowen there is a steep drop in talent for defensemen other than Ryan Ellis but he is very risky

I really doubt they would take Schroder when Richard Panik is sitting in the stands. He is Milan Hejduk v2.0 and would look amazing sniping corners with Hemsky feeding him pucks. They want a sniper for Hemsky, not another playmaker

Not sure with LA, they could go for a forward, defenseman or even a goalie.

CLB NEEDS DEFENSE!! Nash, Brassard, Voracek, Filatov. They need no more offense at all, their future defense is a little shaky and I would pick either Cowen (if available), Ryan Ellis or Stefan Elliott.

Two Schenns is better than one

Nice pick for Colorado in Jeremy Morin the U.S kid. When Sakic retires Colorado's offense will be worse than it already is, I would go with either Morin, Shore or Nazem Kadri

I think Florida takes a centerman here. Horton and Frolik occupy the wings while Matthias is the second line centerman. I think Peter Holland or Nazem Kadri would mesh nicely in Florida

Minny definatly takes Zack Kassian if available. He is the perfect fit for their new "rough 'n tough" style

Nashville does not take a defenseman, nor a goaltender in the 1st round in 2009. Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Franson, Blum and Klein are their future defense corps and their goaltenders are Chet Pickard, Dan Ellis, and Pekka Rinne. Their forwards are thin and since the fleeing of Alexander Radulov to Russia they have been short of goals. Morin or Shore would be good picks here

Buffalo could go for a goaltender here but they do have Miller and Enroth. I personally think they will go for a defenseman but Josefsson is a good pick here

Phoenix goes for a defenseman or goaltender here. I am not sure if Montoya is their saviour though so I would give them Oliver Roy here

Ellis or Elliott would be perfect fits for their run and gun system. They picked Boychuk last year, when most would have picked a defenseman, it is time to replenish the backend

Winger. Probably a goal scorer for Crosby. Scott Glennie would be a nice fit

When Niedermyer retires, Anaheim will need more help on defense. I like the Depres pick a lot, he is the perfect Anaheim player

Either a high-scoring forward or a defenseman, they have enough 3rd liners. The highly skilled Rajala would be great alongside the Sedin bros or Cody Hodgson

The Flames are stacked on D and Iginla could use some help. Landon Ferraro would be a great fit

When Brodeur retires, who is going to carry the team in New Jersey? Mike Lee is a fantastic goaltender, and is a small-notch below Oliver Roy

Lol the Canadiens are pretty much stacked in every area of their team. They definatly don't need a goaltender and forwards are pretty good. I would pick Tommi Kvisto or Dmitry Kulikov

Not sure what to do with Washington. Maybe Ethan Werek or Taylor Doherty?

Philadelphia doesn't need anymore forwards. And there isn't a goaltender other than Oliver Roy or Mike Lee that reaches the first round IMO. Taylor Doherty, Tommi Kvisto, Dmitry Kulikov, or David Rundbland

Like I said Columbus needs no more forwards, if they had more they would be coming out of their ***holes. I really like Calvin DeHaan and think he would fit nicely with Columbus

I like Ryan O'Rielly to NYR, they lost a huge chunk of their future offense when they lost Cherepanov

Carl Klingberg to Detroit fo sure

I really like Tomas Vincour to Boston, he could become a big name if he could put it all together and score more

And finally Marcus Foligno to Ottawa. Foligno is already bigger than Nick and is scoring around the same pace as Nick did. Think of a Foligno - ??? - Foligno line, that would be amazing.

So here is how I think the draft will turn out:

1. New York Islanders - John Tavares
2. Tampa Bay Lightning - Victor Hedman
3. Atlanta Thrashers - Jared Cowen
4. St. Louis Blues - Matt Duchene
5. Ottawa Senators - Magnus Svensson Paarjarvi
6. Dallas Stars - Evander Kane
7. Edmonton Oilers - Richard Panik
8. Los Angeles Kings - Jordan Schroeder
9. Columbus Blue Jackets - Nazem Kadri
10. Toronto Maple Leafs - Brayden Schenn
11. Colorado Avalanche - Jeremy Morin
12. Florida Panthers - Peter Holland
13. Minnesota Wild - Zack Kassian
14. Nashville Predators - Drew Shore
15. Buffalo Sabres - Jacob Josefsson
16. Phoenix Coyotes - Oliver Roy
17. Carolina Hurricanes - Ryan Ellis
18. Pittsburgh Penguins - Scott Glennie
19. Anaheim Ducks - Simon Despres
20. Vancouver Canucks - Toni Rajala
21. Calgary Flames - Landon Ferraro
22. New Jersey Devils - Mike Lee
23. Montreal Canadiens - Tommi Kvisto
24. Washington Capitals - Dmitri Kulikov
25. Philadelphia Flyers - Brandon Maxwell
26. Columbus Blue Jackets - Taylor Doherty
27. New York Rangers - Ryan O'Reilly
28. Detroit Red Wings - Carl Klingberg
29. Boston Bruins - Tomas Vincour
30. Ottawa Senators - Marcus Foligno

Forgive me if I messed up with a couple of the teams, I am not Pierre McGuire
ELLIS goes to buffalo

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Ivey71

I dont think Edmonton would pass over Schenn to take a euro in Panik .
Nothing against Panik but they have enough small skilled players , with Gagner & Cogliano .
Schenn would curtainly bring grit , toughness & skill to help Gagner & Cogs .

Ivey71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2008, 01:11 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffYear92 View Post
ELLIS goes to buffalo
you dont have to quote the whole damn post for a one liner.

Anyways SensationalSpezza, Marcus Foligno is not first round talent. He's probably not even 2nd round talent. The fact that he is bigger than his brother has no bearing on that.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Kingsfan1

I don't think Tampa can take Tavares with Stamkos and Vinny as center whos going to play 3rd line ?

NONE OF EM

They can use defense

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:34 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I can't see Edmonton going with another small guy. They need to start drafting some guys who've got some size.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

BPA people.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

BPA, to a point. Phoenix has enough centers. I really hope they go with a defenseman. I hate the idea of drafting a goaltender in the first round, too. I don't even like taking them in the second.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote