HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

ALERT: John Stevens on NHL Live

Old
01-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

vCash: 500
ALERT: John Stevens on NHL Live

He's expected any minute. He's in a meeting right now. XM and NHL Network

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:08 PM
AaronTrieu

can you get it online?

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I don't know. He just came on.

Old
01-07-2009, 12:31 PM
shooters

just missed it. what did he have to say?

NHL network should have the replay on TV today around 6pm EST i thin

shooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Nothing earth shattering. Was asked about Boudreau, nothing new there. Asked about who's surprised him among this season's new players and he started talking about Carter. I didn't know Carter was new to the team??? He then talked a bit about the defense. He seems to like Carle.
Also talked about traveling out west. He seems to dislike the annual holiday West Coast swing. At least he refused to flat-out whine about it. He just said it's tough on the team as far as maintaining energy.
No questions about what the team is facing cap-wise. Sure, Stevens can't fix that (it's Homer's job), but I'd be interested to know what the players and coaches think of that weight on their shoulders (that someone probably has to go).

Old
01-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Nothing earth shattering. Was asked about Boudreau, nothing new there. Asked about who's surprised him among this season's new players and he started talking about Carter. I didn't know Carter was new to the team??? He then talked a bit about the defense. He seems to like Carle.
Also talked about traveling out west. He seems to dislike the annual holiday West Coast swing. At least he refused to flat-out whine about it. He just said it's tough on the team as far as maintaining energy.
No questions about what the team is facing cap-wise. Sure, Stevens can't fix that (it's Homer's job), but I'd be interested to know what the players and coaches think of that weight on their shoulders (that someone probably has to go).
Hopefully they're not thinking about it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hopefully they're not thinking about it.
Either way were screwed.

GM's aren't going to do us a favour...were going to get fleeced unloading contracts here. They hold all the cards.

...brutal!

Homer needs to hire a numbers guy to help him with cap management. We severely botched this up.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

They're human. They know something has to happen, whether injury or trade. Nothing's happened at my work (yet?!), but I go in everyday hoping not to hear:
1. That someone, or several someones, from my staff is/are being laid off.
2. That someone, or several someones, from my plant is/are being laid off.
And especially 3. That someone -- ME -- is being laid off.
In some circles, the economy is brutal. In a cap way, the Flyers' economy is brutal.
They think about it. but you go to work everyday and simply be a professional. You do your job and move on to the next day. The Flyers have done an exceptional job of that recently.

Old
01-07-2009, 01:35 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
He then talked a bit about the defense. He seems to like Carle.
He called him "Matty Carle". Also mentioned Vaananen and Alberts and Sbisa as additions, said they struggled for the first twenty games but now he considers the back to get the strength of the team.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:36 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
He's expected any minute. He's in a meeting right now. XM and NHL Network
And thanks for the heads up.

Old
01-07-2009, 02:48 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Either way were screwed.

GM's aren't going to do us a favour...were going to get fleeced unloading contracts here. They hold all the cards.

...brutal!

Homer needs to hire a numbers guy to help him with cap management. We severely botched this up.
I dont know if I just dont have the updated numbers or what, but doesnt Jones salary cover what we are over for this season???? Or Jones and Alberts should.

Worry about next season next season. Chances are someone else is going to get hurt again anyway and we will be fine.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:41 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I dont know if I just dont have the updated numbers or what, but doesnt Jones salary cover what we are over for this season???? Or Jones and Alberts should.

Worry about next season next season. Chances are someone else is going to get hurt again anyway and we will be fine.
Exactly. I'm fairly certain, with the Flyers deep pockets, that Homer has more than one cap-ologist working with him. Coburn is playing himself out of some serious cash, which is a pro and a con--he needs to be re-signed, but not at the price I thought he would last season.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:02 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Coburn is playing himself out of some serious cash, which is a pro and a con--he needs to be re-signed, but not at the price I thought he would last season.
That has been true, but I heard from Jim Jackson for the first time during the Caps game that Coburn started the season with a bum wrist. That could explain the weak clears, the off target passes, reduced physicality along the boards, tentative play at the power play point, opponents loose in front of Flyer keepers, etc.

I think he's played better of late (last three or four games) and at Washington he sure spent a lot of time below the Caps' circles, like last year (and unlike earlier this year). I have little doubt that he'll crank it up from here on out.

Old
01-07-2009, 11:06 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
That has been true, but I heard from Jim Jackson for the first time during the Caps game that Coburn started the season with a bum wrist. That could explain the weak clears, the off target passes, reduced physicality along the boards, tentative play at the power play point, opponents loose in front of Flyer keepers, etc.
I didn't hear that, thanks for clueing me in. At first, I thought something was up with him physically, but then I just thought it was because he wasn't with Timonen, for the most part, this season.

Quote:
I think he's played better of late (last three or four games) and at Washington he sure spent a lot of time below the Caps' circles, like last year (and unlike earlier this year). I have little doubt that he'll crank it up from here on out.
He's definitely looked better of late...which is a good thing for us on the ice, but a not so good thing when it comes to our cap. I said it last year, but he really needs to be priority #1 in the re-signing department.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:20 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

I think being paired with Timonen helped ten fold. I noticed a change in his performance right when he was paired back with Kimmo.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Either way were screwed.

...brutal!

A Capologist like here in Vancouver?
I have to give Mike Gillis props. This guy can definately think outside the box. From hiring his own Capologist mathmatician to handle all Cap issues to hiring Dave Gagne to personally mentor First round draft pick Cody Hodgeson.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
I didn't hear that, thanks for clueing me in. At first, I thought something was up with him physically, but then I just thought it was because he wasn't with Timonen, for the most part, this season.
Another thing I just thought of is that late last year he was getting good shots on goal by creeping down to the circles and hitting one timers at the net off the cross ice pass. I remember JJ & c. mentioning how Coburn had been working on that.

He has just lately started getting into that position again this year, which would make sense if a bad wrist wasn't allowing him to really hit the puck.

Quote:
He's definitely looked better of late...which is a good thing for us on the ice, but a not so good thing when it comes to our cap. I said it last year, but he really needs to be priority #1 in the re-signing department.
Not often do you see size and speed and a bit of grit and a bit of creativity with the puck that he has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
I think being paired with Timonen helped ten fold. I noticed a change in his performance right when he was paired back with Kimmo.
That would make sense, too

Old
01-10-2009, 02:30 AM
chaosof99*

If anybody cares, here's the audio.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 02:53 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
[...]

Barry Hanrahan, the Assistant GM, is the Flyers Capologist. The position is manned...

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Barry Hanrahan, the Assistant GM, is the Flyers Capologist. The position is manned...
Well, if we have one...he's doing/done a horrible job.

Old
01-10-2009, 07:52 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Well, if we have one...he's doing/done a horrible job.
considering the situations we were put in this year with injuries, what else was botched? if you have to fill positions, you have to fill positions. im just not sure that we are guilty of proactively doing this to ourselves.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
considering the situations we were put in this year with injuries, what else was botched? if you have to fill positions, you have to fill positions. im just not sure that we are guilty of proactively doing this to ourselves.
I don't claim to be an expert, because I'm far from it...but we could have went to the farm.

We jumped the gun on more than one instance.

IE: J.S. Aubin.

Old
01-10-2009, 07:59 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

i know what you mean, but with some of these contracts you risk bringing up a hot prosepct only to be lost to reentry waivers or what ever insane AHL-to-AHL-to-NHL clause.

Old
01-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
i know what you mean, but with some of these contracts you risk bringing up a hot prosepct only to be lost to reentry waivers or what ever insane AHL-to-AHL-to-NHL clause.
At that point in time, there wasn't a 'hot prospect' though...just guys to temporarily fill hole and voids.

Alberts is another guy that comes to mind. And yes, I know he's been much better lately...but still. These are all reasons were screwed when it comes to the capola.

Old
01-10-2009, 08:06 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

project cap for 2010-2011 : 48 mil