HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Gainey resign Brisebois next year?

View Poll Results: Will Brisebois be resigned?
Yes 8 5.88%
No 102 75.00%
Depends on remainder of season 16 11.76%
Uncertain 10 7.35%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
I would vote no, no, no and then no......but then, I guess he'll end up being, AGAIN, a fine #7 d-man, who'll end up being in the top 6 once again...

But logic would say that after he will celebrate playing his 1000th game with the Habs, Breezer needs to start contemplating retirement.....if not, I will predict he'll be a Habs once again.....

I just wish that if it happens, it will be CLEAR that he's a 7th and that he'll understand his role...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:30 AM
mcphee

How things shake out with all of the ufa's will determine whether there is any interest or not. There's no way to predict whther a veteran d man will be wanted or needed. Solidifying th etop 4 may change what's needed at the 5,6,7 slots. If a young d is believed to have some offense, it could be decided that Dandy would be ok as a swing man, 13th forward,7th d man.

There are just too many variables right now to even consider it. They have to like what he's given them this year but they are obviously hoping they can upgrade. It isn't cap space as much as roster space. If they consider it, it'll be late, an August signing when everything else has shaped up. They aren't in a situation where anyone owes anyone anything so he'll understand that he's about the last concern that they'll have.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Puckhead58*

Brisebois should NOT be re-signed!!!

I don't like Brisebois one bit as a hockey player, but I will admit that he has been decent since he re-joined the Habs, but that being said....he isn't valuable enough to waste anymore time and money on. The money that would be spent on Brisebois' contract could be used towards Komisarek's contract in the off season or to go towards signing a solid UFA. The other reason why Brisebois shouldn't be re-signed is because we have a number of good defensive prospects coming up from the AHL who are ready to make the jump and keeping Brisebois around would mean those players wouldn't get that roster spot and their progress would be stopped. Its not fair to our young players.

If Brisebois was a solid defencemen, if he was tough and if he scored 50 points a season, then I would say re-sign him for sure, but he is old, he is scared to get hit and he makes a ton of mistakes in his own end...he's not worth keeping around at the expense of our young defencemen's progression.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:48 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Brisebois should NOT be re-signed!!!

I don't like Brisebois one bit as a hockey player, but I will admit that he has been decent since he re-joined the Habs, but that being said....he isn't valuable enough to waste anymore time and money on. The money that would be spent on Brisebois' contract could be used towards Komisarek's contract in the off season or to go towards signing a solid UFA. The other reason why Brisebois shouldn't be re-signed is because we have a number of good defensive prospects coming up from the AHL who are ready to make the jump and keeping Brisebois around would mean those players wouldn't get that roster spot and their progress would be stopped. Its not fair to our young players.

If Brisebois was a solid defencemen, if he was tough and if he scored 50 points a season, then I would say re-sign him for sure, but he is old, he is scared to get hit and he makes a ton of mistakes in his own end...he's not worth keeping around at the expense of our young defencemen's progression.
If he was a solid d man giving you 50 points we wouldn't be talking about a league minimum contract guy who would play in case of injuries or if your projected guy, let's say O'b suddenly has his game go so far south that hell is in sight.

He's simply insurance and if he sin't re-signed it'll be because someone else fits the bottom end role better.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
If he was a solid d man giving you 50 points we wouldn't be talking about a league minimum contract guy who would play in case of injuries or if your projected guy, let's say O'b suddenly has his game go so far south that hell is in sight.

He's simply insurance and if he sin't re-signed it'll be because someone else fits the bottom end role better.

If that happens then we should be looking at other options like Weber, Subban or making a trade for a good defencemen or signing a free agent defencemen.
Brisebois is old, soft and slow....he would rather cough the puck up then get hit making a play and I'm not even going to get started on his blind passes up the middle of the defensive zone that get picked off 2 or 3 times a game.
Brisebois has served a purpose the past 2 seasons, but its time to call it a career IMO. I think Dandenault would be a better choice as a 7th defencemen. He's younger than Breezer and he doesn't mind throwing checks and taking a hit once in a while.

I guess my point is that we have many other options to consider before we should consider re-signing Brisebois.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:49 AM
BLONG7

Let's hope not...Briser is still having a rough time back there more often than not...some nights it looks like he is playing without a blade on his stick. Hopefully he will get his 1000th game and head out of town...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

I hope the retard retires soon, enough with the soft, can't do **** dman.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Lone Rogue

When he hoists his second Stanley Cup in the air, he'll feel satisfied about his comeback to Montreal and call it a career.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Anthony P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Oh, so you mean that heart attack I had last summer could have been averted

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He'll only be signed next year if he gets injured and fails to reach the 1000 game plateau.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He'll only be signed next year if he gets injured and fails to reach the 1000 game plateau.
screw that,give him a gold stick,gold skates what ever he wants but no more contracts.We have the talent and depth to move on

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
screw that,give him a gold stick,gold skates what ever he wants but no more contracts.We have the talent and depth to move on
A lot of us thought we had the depth this year. That Breezer would spend the majority of this season planted in the press box. Yes we do have plenty of defensive depth, now we just have to wait and see who will step up and take Breezer's spot.

01-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
i sincerely hope not

it's time to move on...
I agree and said no as well... although I felt the same way last year and...

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
A lot of us thought we had the depth this year. That Breezer would spend the majority of this season planted in the press box. Yes we do have plenty of defensive depth, now we just have to wait and see who will step up and take Breezer's spot.

I agree with you and was one of those who thought he would spend most nights in there,but with the injury to Komisarek it forced him to play and it also forced O'Byrne to play in a weaker defensive lineup.Now im not gonna defend O'Byrne and stuff cause I know he didn't play very well but last year early on Gorges made many mistakes too but we kept playing him and now is one of our better players back there.Problem with the coaching staff is I know it's not easy but they gotta be a bit more patient with these young players

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Delat

Who else then Natey could start a topic on Brisebois...
I hope Gainey won't resign him, we need young guys down there and we have yung guys that are ready.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
HabsDood

Breeser will play his remaining 19 games for a 1000 than he'll play here and there, less and less.. To eventually fade away, only to come back in the organisation somewhere, because he loves the Habs..

We're loaded at D prospects so NO, he won't be re-signed..

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote