HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TFP has Habs looking for PP QB..

Old
01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Mustafa*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
We didn't let him go vanylapep, Gainey offered him the same contract he offered Hamrlik. Souray just decided he didn't want to play for the Habs anymore.
He said that the Habs showed no respect by trying to sign him after the deadline, he felt he was a second option.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
He said that the Habs showed no respect by trying to sign him after the deadline, he felt he was a second option.
I missed that Mustafa, but I do remember him saying that he understood the Habs decision to sign Markov as the team's priority.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Maxpac

All this because Carbonneau is too afraid that one of Bouillon/ Brisebois gets pissed when Weber plays better then the both of them anf forces a perminent job. We have a solution within the system godamnit, what is there to lose trying him? Especially since Brisebois and Bouillon have been nothing short of atrocious since the end of november

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

All this because Carbonneau is too afraid that one of Bouillon/ Brisebois gets pissed when Weber plays better then the both of them anf forces a perminent job. We have a solution within the system godamnit, what is there to lose trying him? Especially since Brisebois and Bouillon have been nothing short of atrocious since the end of november
Calling Breezer/Bouillon atrocious and Weber a solution before seeing him play one regular NHL game is pushing it.

But I agree, we should give that kid a try and let Breezer sit one out.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 02:49 PM
la25ecoupe

Brisebois: 981 games played.

only 19 more to endure him

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Yeah I remember him being a big baby about not getting first crack at a contract.... he made it seem that the Habs were disrespecting him and I recall him saying as much in the EDM media as well, how he wasn't wanted in MTL.

And ftr, he is bloody terrible one-on-one, Spezza or whoever, his backwards skating ability is so poor he couldn't make plays with any speed coming at him.

I still like him - he's a good offensive D-man, hits, brings leadership.... but his time ended for good reason here. I'm sure he's well-liked closer to home, but there's no sense crying over him now.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
No one expected Streit to have the success he's having elsewhere.
Err..I did.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
I still can't believe kids on this site still cry over Mark Streit...a defenceman who cannot play defense whatsoever. The guy wanted to play on the Defensive corp...except he cannot play worth ****! Habs are way better 5 on 5, something that is needed in the Playoffs where refs blow the whistle less and less.
I know eh. The habs 5 on 5 play is much better than last year. How else can anyone explain the habs having a better record than last year at this time. It's amazing how they scored 5 goals (all on even strength vs Florida). The game, by default, is played 5 on 5, therefore being better at that means you increase your chances of winning each game.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Megaforce

First you argue that the Habs are better this season than last. That's just not true. The Habs came in first overall in the conference last year. We're not even close this year.

Then you deduce that this alleged better season must be due to the fact that Streit no longer plays on the team. Whereas in fact there are countless other possible variables: the arrival of Lang, Tanguay, the maturation of other youngsters, etc.

We need a guy who can blast a shot from the point on the PP, this added weapon would put a lot more pressure on the opposition PK.

Old
01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
First you argue that the Habs are better this season than last. That's just not true. The Habs came in first overall in the conference last year. We're not even close this year.

Then you deduce that this alleged better season must be due to the fact that Streit no longer plays on the team. Whereas in fact there are countless other possible variables: the arrival of Lang, Tanguay, the maturation of other youngsters, etc.

We need a guy who can blast a shot from the point on the PP, this added weapon would put a lot more pressure on the opposition PK.
We weren't first in the conference at the same time last season and if I remember correctly, we didn't reach the #1 spot until late in the year.
Also, not finishing first doesn't mean we're not better.

Other teams can be better as well, which will make us get less points than last year.

Not to mention we didn't miss any key player last season except at the end of the year before POs.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 07:34 PM
mcphee

Quote:

They are ahead of last year in terms of points.

If the idea was that they could have a good pp without Streit, assuming Tanguay or one from the pp office pool could fill in, well it hasn't worked.

They are a better defensive team though and have actually been more consistent 5 on 5.

Factor in that they've done without valuable players for extended periods, they don't have much to be ashamed of.

You can't argue that Streit would've helped the pp though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Yeah I remember him being a big baby about not getting first crack at a contract.... he made it seem that the Habs were disrespecting him and I recall him saying as much in the EDM media as well, how he wasn't wanted in MTL.

And ftr, he is bloody terrible one-on-one, Spezza or whoever, his backwards skating ability is so poor he couldn't make plays with any speed coming at him.

I still like him - he's a good offensive D-man, hits, brings leadership.... but his time ended for good reason here. I'm sure he's well-liked closer to home, but there's no sense crying over him now.
I like Souray, I never thought he was near as bad in his zone as he was made out to be, but he clearly spun things to his advantage afterwards which was pretty cheap,imo, as the org. was good to him when he was going thru some stuff.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-07-2009 at 01:37 PM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:19 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I like Souray, I never thought he was near as bad in his zone as he was made out to be, but he clearly spun things to his advantage afterwards which was pretty cheap,imo, as the org. was good to him when he was going thru some stuff.
Souray at one point even admitted that Markov had to be the #1 priority, and then in the offseason whined about it? Too bad he had to go, but like Streit, they weren't worth the $$$ they wanted, and the Habs, like every other team, have to make decisions on what's best for them, and not the player...both Souray and Streit are good guys, and good for their teams...wish them both well, but I am sure they sometimes wish they had stayed put ( especially Streit)

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
They are ahead of last year in terms of points.

If the idea was that they could have a good pp without Streit, assuming Tanguay or one from the pp office pool could fill in, well it hasn't worked.

They are a better defensive team though and have actually been more consistent 5 on 5.

Factor in that they've done without valuable players for extended periods, they don't have much to be ashamed of.

You can't argue that Streit would've helped the pp though.
Speaking of last year the Habs were 19-13-6 for 44 pts after 38 games. The habs of this year are 6 points better than that after 38 games. One thing they'll have to account for is the tear the Habs went on from this point on. The habs went 28-12-4 from this point on last year. Truly amazing. With 50 points already in the books and not even at the halfway point there's no reason to believe the Habs won't reach 100 points again. Better defense this year makes this team better than last year's IMO.

Old
01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Bouillon has a good shot; He was even known when he was playing in the Q for that shot. I wonder why Carbo has never tried him on the PP, at the one-timer position on the right.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Bouillon has a good shot; He was even known when he was playing in the Q for that shot. I wonder why Carbo has never tried him on the PP, at the one-timer position on the right.
Bouillon's shot is the weakest on the team IMO.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
I dunno. It looks harmless, but he has 3 goals so far and all were from pretty good shots from near the blueline.

Old
01-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Souray at one point even admitted that Markov had to be the #1 priority,
Remember that coupla months during Souray's amazing season that everybody was wondering if we'd re-sign him?

I had lunch with Souray during that time and I noticed that he had stars in his eyes when talking about 'the big contract,' although he also mentioned that Chara signed with Boston for less money than he could have gotten elsewhere specifically so he could get revenge on his old team, Ottawa which he felt had spurned him. So whereas Souray spoke of not necessarily going for the biggest money possible, the big massive contract was also something that clearly was in his consciousness, as it kept returning to the conversation like a motif. He was very hard to read, but I certainly didn't get the impression that he was signing back here on the basis of that talk.

Old
01-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Aparantly when he was in the Q, he had a great slap shot. He's never used it much with the Habs, I only see him using a wrist shot.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:42 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Remember that coupla months during Souray's amazing season that everybody was wondering if we'd re-sign him?

I had lunch with Souray during that time and I noticed that he had stars in his eyes when talking about 'the big contract,' although he also mentioned that Chara signed with Boston for less money than he could have gotten elsewhere specifically so he could get revenge on his old team, Ottawa which he felt had spurned him. So whereas Souray spoke of not necessarily going for the biggest money possible, the big massive contract was also something that clearly was in his consciousness, as it kept returning to the conversation like a motif. He was very hard to read, but I certainly didn't get the impression that he was signing back here on the basis of that talk.
I remember listening to some radio guys, it was probably the Super Bowl Sunday afternnon game, talking about Souray, to sign or not, to deal or not, and they were cryptically hinting that Souray was very adept at molding his public image and had decided to go high, no matter what happened. That's fine, I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same, the guy likes the fast lane so.....

I didn't like his comments after the fact however, I believe they were ego driven and unnecessary but what the hell, I think that th etime it took him to sign might have made him a bit sensitive.

Old
01-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Megaforce

He seemed keen on doing television. He had guested on a soap opera when he played for New Jersey.

Vancouver, LA, New York would have been better spots than Edmonton.

I wouldn't expect him to stay there when his career ends. The guy is pretty studly, he's got a great look, can't blame him for wanting to do some acting, an even easier job than hockey.

Old
01-07-2009, 09:45 AM
mcphee

Quote:
He seemed keen on doing television. He had guested on a soap opera when he played for New Jersey.

Vancouver, LA, New York would have been better spots than Edmonton.

I wouldn't expect him to stay there when his career ends. The guy is pretty studly, he's got a great look, can't blame him for wanting to do some acting, an even easier job than hockey.
I think that the crowd he's been exposed to has given him a sense of perception vs. reality and how to work the machine.

He's paid his dues though. When Terry Ryan was doing Mtl radio stints, maybe 2 years ago, he mentionned Souray in the BC jr. league, taking on all comers in a really tough league.

I just thought the time had come for a different group's voice to be heard on the team and that was a part of him leaving, Rivet before him, but it doesn't make anyone a bad guy, it's just hockey evolution and it's happened many times before.

and yes, he shares my animal magnetism.

Old
01-07-2009, 09:50 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
I dunno. It looks harmless, but he has 3 goals so far and all were from pretty good shots from near the blueline.
One of them was a deflected fluke and the opposing goalie was screened on another one. I do not remember the third one.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
One of them was a deflected fluke and the opposing goalie was screened on another one. I do not remember the third one.
Bouillon’s shot is not amazing but it seems he has great timing. His goals have been awesome heat seeking shots taken through traffic. They aren’t bullets, but he takes them with 3-4 people in front of him and if they hit the net, the goalie has no chance to stop them because they can’t see anything. I find it impressive that he’s able to take such accurate shots. Would be interesting to see him shot a little more, just to make sure it isn’t just flukey.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
So, what you're saying is that he's also a pretty smart player when using his shot. Good call. I agree. Taking shots when the goalie is screened and looking for deflections is part of being a great shooter from the blueline. Shooting with bodies infront of the net leaves the chance for so many opportunities for that puck to go into the net.

Old
01-07-2009, 04:29 PM
MisterTrep

add to that : even tho we don't see Bouillon use his shot often, when he does actually use it, he never miss ( close to never ).

Like you guys said, hockey smarts + accuracy > powerfull without the latter two.

MisterTrep is offline   Reply With Quote