HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pascal Leclaire

Old
01-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
I can't ****ing believe we're having the Leclaire conversation again. He plays on an extremely defensive minded team and can't stay healthy. He hasn't proven ****.

I swear to whatever all you people hating on Biron, or, even in this case, Nitty, swear to that if I see JUST ONE of you having a post similar to or mirroring, "MARTY!!!!!!11!1" come playoff time, I'll hunt you down and ring your neck myself.

and storm beat me to the OP's shortened version of Blue Jackets.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:24 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I swear to whatever all you people hating on Biron, or, even in this case, Nitty, swear to that if I see JUST ONE of you having a post similar to or mirroring, "MARTY!!!!!!11!1"

Dude. The word "god" isn't offensive in this country yet.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post

Dude. The word "god" isn't offensive in this country yet.
it's not that god's offensive, it's that i don't know or care what jagon anyone sucks, and i didn't want to leave anything out.

Old
01-07-2009, 06:41 AM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
I can't ****ing believe we're having the Leclaire conversation again. He plays on an extremely defensive minded team and can't stay healthy. He hasn't proven ****.

I swear to whatever all you people hating on Biron, or, even in this case, Nitty, swear to that if I see JUST ONE of you having a post similar to or mirroring, "MARTY!!!!!!11!1" come playoff time, I'll hunt you down and ring your neck myself.

and storm beat me to the OP's shortened version of Blue Jackets.
This is not hatred. I just cannot remember the last time the Flyers had an elite goalie. Cech? <---heh Ronny Hex? At some point, you want to see the scouting yield a talent who can be cultivated in the system. This is hard today, though. Goalies, as everyone knows here and as their draft positions evince, are a hit or miss group, really. Very rarely does a Lundquist, Hasek, Brod, Roy, et cetera come along. Best most teams can hope for are b-level talents in trades (Fernandez, Bulin, Osgoods, et cetera). Besides injuries (AND SHOOTOUTS), what else holds the team back? It appears a solid backstop. And, in writing BJs, I was conscious of the abbv.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 06:45 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
My sentiments mirror this. I don't know how valuable LeClaire is in the eyes of the BJs (insert Bevis laugh).
uh huh huh huh huh uh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh huh

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
This is not hatred. I just cannot remember the last time the Flyers had an elite goalie. Cech? <---heh Ronny Hex? At some point, you want to see the scouting yield a talent who can be cultivated in the system. This is hard today, though. Goalies, as everyone knows here and as their draft positions evince, are a hit or miss group, really. Very rarely does a Lundquist, Hasek, Brod, Roy, et cetera come along. Best most teams can hope for are b-level talents in trades (Fernandez, Bulin, Osgoods, et cetera). Besides injuries (AND SHOOTOUTS), what else holds the team back? It appears a solid backstop. And, in writing BJs, I was conscious of the abbv.
what's your point? that you think leclaire already is or will be an elite goalie?

Because he's not now. And there's no way in hell I'm trading assets (regardless of our cap situation or my own personal disdain towards jones) in this deal. The only way I even ever [/i]consider[/i] this is if Columbus wasn't a largely defensive minded team and he was still putting up the same numbers. But, again, he's not. He's just another guy with a bunch of talent. Who can't stay healthy. Who plays in a defensive system. He is not worth the gamble, especially if you're fine with him being a backup (which some of you guys are).

edit: give me all the crap you want about having to take a chance, yadda yadda yadda. why would we do that, in this deal, when we have a closer idea to what Leclaire truly is, when we can just finally have balls enough to develop our own goalie?

Old
01-07-2009, 07:53 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Anyone who thinks the Flyers should even remotely consider Pascal Leclaire at this point either needs to go see a doctor, or hasn't seen him play. The guy has been without a doubt the worst goalie in the league this season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:02 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Anyone who thinks the Flyers should even remotely consider Pascal Leclaire at this point either needs to go see a doctor, or hasn't seen him play. The guy has been without a doubt the worst goalie in the league this season.
Yea and also his name is Pascal. I mean come on, Pascal? Ha!

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He's been bad, I have to admit.

But really, have you seen Toskala and or Joseph???

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:23 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
If we need to deal him for cap reasons for next season, we can do that AFTER the season.

No need to have him be part of a PACKAGE for Pascal freaking Leclaire.
MY thoughts exactly....Move Jones and whatever else you need to do to stay under the cap this year, worry about Lupul/Knuble etc. in the offseason.

Quote:
All he's done since being put with Carter is put up a PPG, something he was able to do last season when given steady minutes with Richards.

All snipers are streaky, that's just part of it. He can be an extremely valuable player, he has real trade value, and there's no rush to move him. His raise doesn't go into effect until next season.

I just don't get people wanting to move a guy who should be able to score 25-30 goals a season for years for next to nothing. I just don't get it. It's the same thing with Briere.

I understand we have cap issues, but we don't deal with that by getting rid of PPG players for mediocre goalies.
You mean when you play with good players you put up points????? What a concept.....Too bad the moron behind the bench wasted part of his season playing him with Metro and a bunch of goons on the 3rd and 4th lines.

And I take Biron over LeClaire anyday....LeClaire hasnt proven squat yet

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
MY thoughts exactly....Move Jones and whatever else you need to do to stay under the cap this year, worry about Lupul/Knuble etc. in the offseason.

You mean when you play with good players you put up points????? What a concept.....Too bad the moron behind the bench wasted part of his season playing him with Metro and a bunch of goons on the 3rd and 4th lines.

And I take Biron over LeClaire anyday....LeClaire hasnt proven squat yet
If I'm moving major assets for a goalie, I want a clear-cut upgrade over what we already have. Leclaire MIGHT be as good as what we already have. MIGHT be. I wouldn't even do a straight up goalie swap with either of out goalies, let alone add in a 30 point defenseman and a PPG sniper. It makes ZERO sense on any level whatsoever.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
He's been bad, I have to admit.

But really, have you seen Toskala and or Joseph???
dont remind me about Toskala.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
PlantersOye

Quote:
Pascal Leclaire for Jones and Lupul (when everyone is healthy): overpayment?

Young, talented, and the BJs have a guy called Mason. But as both are cheap, it may make little sense to move the solid backup.
Maybe Leclaire was the product of Hitch's system (too much credit to Hitch?)?

Before you laugh, remember that my crystal ball has predicted the return of Jim Vandy (bust, but still) and Ossi Vannanen.
You have to give up talent for talent. Makes sense. But what happens to either Biron or Nittmaki?

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast View Post
You have to give up talent for talent. Makes sense. But what happens to either Biron or Nittmaki?
it's not "talent for talent." it's "talent for unproven goalie people have the hots for over no apparent, logical reason." this is why the deal doesn't happen, ever. nothing happens to biron or niittymaki.

edit: and, fyi, leclaire IS NOT cheap. his cap hit is 3.8 million dollars. does that at least scream "NO NOT EVER!" to anyone?

Old
01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
What happend to that 'vomit' smilie? This would be an appropriate place for it.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
/thread.

Old
01-07-2009, 06:03 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
it's not "talent for talent." it's "talent for unproven goalie people have the hots for over no apparent, logical reason." this is why the deal doesn't happen, ever. nothing happens to biron or niittymaki.

edit: and, fyi, leclaire IS NOT cheap. his cap hit is 3.8 million dollars. does that at least scream "NO NOT EVER!" to anyone?
On top of everything else his cap hit is 3.8 MILLION?

My god, if I could do one thing in Philadelphia it would be to set off a device that would eliminate 'the-grass-is-always-greener" syndrome that plagues this town's fanbases.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
rshnk29

Would any of you consider trading Jones and Nitty for Ersberg and a 2nd? Ersberg is an UFA at the end of the season and can replace Biron at a much cheaper price. Then they would have to then sign another goalie like Aubin or Conklin or Lalime as the back-up unless they think Munroe is ready.

rshnk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
On top of everything else his cap hit is 3.8 MILLION?

My god, if I could do one thing in Philadelphia it would be to set off a device that would eliminate 'the-grass-is-always-greener" syndrome that plagues this town's fanbases.
Exactly. What we have is what most teams have, a good goalie that gets hot and sometimes cold. How many teams have a starting goalie that doesn't get their fanbase scratching their heads and yelling at the tv? I think we have a better than average backup in Nitty as well.

Now if we could make a significant upgrade over Biron I'd be all for it. But if you make an objective list of who those guys are I think you'll find it pretty short. Then try to calculate what it would take to pry them from the teams they're on and you may find yourself appreciating Biron quite a bit more.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

I miss that one also so ill just use this other one

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:

Why is his cap hit 3.8? ::searches Jester's posts::

Old
01-07-2009, 08:12 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Why is his cap hit 3.8? ::searches Jester's posts::
http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CLB&season=0809

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:41 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
HockeyZonePlus mislead me.
http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/search...earchdbdisplay

I thought that kid was still getting 1.4.

Old
01-07-2009, 09:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

If the Flyers decide to upgrade the goaltending position, why not wait until the offseason and see what it will take to get Khabibulin here? I think he's a definite step up from Biron/Niittymaki and he's got his name on the Cup as well, so you know he's mentally capable of the task at hand and not folding like a cheap house of cards. Then, if the Flyers are looking at a goalie of the future, why not see about acquiring someone like Montoya, Schneider or Pavelic? I know Montoya's had a down season in San Antonio, but I think it's just because he's done with the AHL. He's been a great goalie there for a couple of years now and he's starting to get down for not making it to the show yet. He could be a real steal and a smart back up to groom as the eventual starter once Khabibulin retires.......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 09:21 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
If the Flyers decide to upgrade the goaltending position, why not wait until the offseason and see what it will take to get Khabibulin here? I think he's a definite step up from Biron/Niittymaki and he's got his name on the Cup as well, so you know he's mentally capable of the task at hand and not folding like a cheap house of cards. Then, if the Flyers are looking at a goalie of the future, why not see about acquiring someone like Montoya, Schneider or Pavelic? I know Montoya's had a down season in San Antonio, but I think it's just because he's done with the AHL. He's been a great goalie there for a couple of years now and he's starting to get down for not making it to the show yet. He could be a real steal and a smart back up to groom as the eventual starter once Khabibulin retires.......
Not a bad idea. The thing is, teams are aware just how rare a commodity young, talented goaltenders are: when is the last time you've seen a team let a solid goalie "go." It doesn't happen often. There has to be another solid goalie in place (Miller/Biron) in order for teams to release a solid goalie. That is why I targeted LeClaire, guys. And, we'll see if he busts now. His confidence can't be up. We know how fickle goalies are, so who knows. We'll see if Biron can get that GAA down come playoff time, if we are in it (injuries, et cetera). To be sure, I stress, I am no Biron/Nitty hater.