HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators seeking to add Numminen

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

vCash: 500
Predators seeking to add Numminen

http://tennessean.com/sports/predato...nt_ID=55177494

Old
07-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Jarnberg

One question, why??

Makes no sense to me.

Old
07-30-2004, 12:24 PM
tulsytrid1

that is my question too. Why would we do that unless as 7na said in the other post that they were shopping Kimmo which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Last edited by tulsytrid1: 08-01-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old
07-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Pattypred

Maybe it could be that his agent has talked to the Predators so he can jump start either Dallas or Phoenix.

Could be...

Old
07-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

I'm beginning to think it is down to us and Phoenix, Hull I believe is pretty much going to sign with the Stars http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=...Name=nhl...and if that's the case, Teppo and Kimmo would be a great first pairing...why would he go back to Phoenix?, I think he'd rather play with his country man Kimmo instead of going back to Phoenix after a one year abscence

Old
07-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Jarnberg

So who would you drop for Teppo??

Old
07-30-2004, 02:27 PM
PredsMan

It's hard to see what Poile's thinking, unless he's looking to deal someone.

Maybe he's looking to move Hutch, or Hnidy. I just can't see him moving any of Zidlicky, Timonen, Hamhuis, Eaton, or Lilja.

Allison is pretty much a depth signing at this point.

Old
07-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Jarnberg

But even if he traded Hutchinson, we'd still have too many d-men in Nashville.

Wtf is Poile thinking...

Old
07-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger
But even if he traded Hutchinson, we'd still have too many d-men in Nashville.

Wtf is Poile thinking...
one or "more" will more than likely be traded in possibly acquiring an upgrade for Arkhipuff?

YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY DEFENSEMEN in this league.

Old
07-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'll tell you waht he is thinking......We are acquiring a dman that can play a top 3 role without giving up any assets....at an extremely cheap cost, while we allow our defensemen in the system to continue to develop. I see nothing wrong with this, and lets be honest, as good as our defense is developing into.....we definitely could use a top 3 dmen in the lineup, other than what we have. Hnidy has been used as the 7th dman in Ottawa, and he certainly can here as well......and some actual depth on defense that has experienced players can only be a benefit. I'm all for it, and frankly, I dont want to see Hutchinson in Nashville full time yet. He has too many defensive defeciencies, despite his offensive prowess. Besides, we all know we need a centerman, maybe this potential signing would allow us to make a move for one without significantly weakening our team.

07-30-2004, 04:06 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I'm certain there is a reason for all of this. I'm not quite sure what it might be. My only question is what is the status of his heart condition? Is this not a concern?

Old
07-30-2004, 04:12 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I'll tell you waht he is thinking......We are acquiring a dman that can play a top 3 role without giving up any assets....at an extremely cheap cost, while we allow our defensemen in the system to continue to develop. I see nothing wrong with this, and lets be honest, as good as our defense is developing into.....we definitely could use a top 3 dmen in the lineup, other than what we have. Hnidy has been used as the 7th dman in Ottawa, and he certainly can here as well......and some actual depth on defense that has experienced players can only be a benefit. I'm all for it, and frankly, I dont want to see Hutchinson in Nashville full time yet. He has too many defensive defeciencies, despite his offensive prowess. Besides, we all know we need a centerman, maybe this potential signing would allow us to make a move for one without significantly weakening our team.

Old
07-30-2004, 04:22 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I've always liked Teppo, if we could get him for a fairly cheap signing I say do it.

Old
07-30-2004, 04:32 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't want him, I think the preds money could be better spent elsewhere

Old
07-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

In another thread, it is reported that Phoenix's preliminary offer is 1.4 million dollars. Whats the harm in spending that small of a sum or slightly more, for somone that would signficantly benefit our team? Its not a 3 year, 10.5 million dollar contract we are talking about here, rather a 1 year 1.5-2 million dollar offer for one of the leagues most experienced defensemen, who can still actually play top 3 minutes. The heart condition, from what I read, is something that is more important 5 - 10 years from now. He has been cleared to play by doctors.

Old
07-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Whats the harm in spending that small of a sum or slightly more, for somone that would signficantly benefit our team? Its not a 3 year, 10.5 million dollar contract we are talking about here, rather a 1 year 1.5-2 million dollar offer for one of the leagues most experienced defensemen, who can still actually play top 3 minutes.
I don't think he'll signficantly improve our team. I don't think he's as good as he once was. The only way I see this signing as ok, is if we trade a defenseman in a deal for a center. But who would be on the way out?

I know you must give up good players to receive good players, but I'd rather keep Timonen and Zidlicky.

Old
07-30-2004, 09:14 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger
I don't think he'll signficantly improve our team. I don't think he's as good as he once was. The only way I see this signing as ok, is if we trade a defenseman in a deal for a center. But who would be on the way out?

I know you must give up good players to receive good players, but I'd rather keep Timonen and Zidlicky.
Why do we have to give up Zidlicky or Timonen? We can trade other assets that we have like wingers. If anything, this gives us the ability to rest Timonen sometimes on the PP and sometimes on the top pairing. Something like a wing Prospect + Orszagh + Hnidy might gain us a decent centerman. Or we could trade Orszagh and Hnidy and sign Cullen with the money we save and we'll have our 2nd/3rd line center.

Timonen-Eaton
Numminen-Hamhuis
Zidlicky - Hnidy/Allison/Lilja

Old
07-31-2004, 12:30 AM
CandyDelNOmore

If the Preds are may be offering slightly more than the 1.4 million the Stars are offering, then what is our payroll going to look like after Orzagh, Vokoun, and Sully re-sign? Plus add in the signing of Lilja(not that much, but still).
I would like this move, if it wouldn't inflate our payroll more. He would help out on penalty kill and power play, so I say if the numbers are right, go for it.

Old
07-31-2004, 12:56 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyDelNOmore
If the Preds are may be offering slightly more than the 1.4 million the Stars are offering, then what is our payroll going to look like after Orzagh, Vokoun, and Sully re-sign? Plus add in the signing of Lilja(not that much, but still).
I would like this move, if it wouldn't inflate our payroll more. He would help out on penalty kill and power play, so I say if the numbers are right, go for it.

Our payroll will be bumping up against 30 mil if all our players are resigned and we nab Tep.

Old
07-31-2004, 01:48 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Timonen-Eaton
Numminen-Hamhuis
Zidlicky - Lilja

If numminen can be had for say $1.5m, I say do it!!!

Old
07-31-2004, 02:04 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

A two year, three million dollar deal would be ideal, IMO. Within two seasons, you'll have a couple of younger Dmen ready to step in (Suter, Klein, etc) and he'd help you win now.

Old
08-01-2004, 01:58 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Tough decision...for the right money, do it, but if any overpaying goes on I think it will be a great injustice to what this organization is about. I won't pass any judgement though until everything is under way, I'd just be cautious if I were Mr. Poile.

Closed Thread