HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who's a better fit for Habs? Kaberle or Kubina?

Old
01-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
I wouldn't give Kubina alone for Subban. I think Subban is a great puck moving D, he's a good skater, but i think he's a big project and at least 2-3 years away from playing in the NHL. He makes too many mistakes, bad passes and likes to chip in as the 4th forward a bit too much.
Stop being so defensive. Subban ended the tournament at the top in the +/-. He's the D that made the least mistakes in his zone while being the most offensive one. Now that's the talent. "Too offensive?" lol I bet every teams salivated at the sight of him during the tournament.

Try again next time.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2009, 11:34 PM
le_sean

I'm sure Burke is dying to get Kubina's contract off his hands and would love to get Subban for him. Beggers can't be choosers.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
CPrice

Kaberle is the better performer but I don't think hes been on top of his game this year.
Kaberle would also cost more because his contract is a bargain and is signed for next year as well I believe.

Kubina is playing much better this year after carrying forward a good ending to last season with his strong play. His salary is pretty high though which would decrease his value and would make him somewhat attainable, although like someone else said RW loves him.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:35 AM
GNick42

Kaberle is better defenseman but Kubina much cheaper to acquire in a trade. Kaberle will cost us the farm. Kubina could play a role here, he's on pace for 16 goals this season.

It will mean the end of Kovalev here though, as Kubina is signed for next season at 5 million.

With Price's goaltending, and Carbo's tight defensive systems, go with average offense up front and still could win the Cup or go deep in playoffs. Jersey did it for years with Lemaire's coaching, Brodeur in net and the league's best defense in Stevens, Niedemayer, Danyeko, etc...

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:36 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm sure Burke is dying to get Kubina's contract off his hands and would love to get Subban for him. Beggers can't be choosers.
No way would I move Subban...he could be a franchise player

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:04 AM
peperebougon*

Who's the better player: Kaberle

Who fits our needs best? Kubina

BIG physical D-man with a booming shot. Bang on!

With Kaberle, we get something we already have...Markov.

I could live with Kaberle though

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:15 PM
capebretoncanadien

Kaberle for sure...no doubt.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Kubina, if he wasn't signed for next season.... Altho, its just one more season, we could manage that, but that would mean, no Tanguay next season, and hoping both Koivu and Kovy go for hometown discounts so that we can keep both... or else, no more Kovy and no more Tangs. But we would probably have one of the most solid D...

Especially since Kubina is right handed and would go well with Hamrlik.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:51 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post

With Kaberle, we get something we already have...Markov.
Yeah but Markov can shoot the puck, so Kaberle can set him up!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Marksman

I would take Kaberle, and its not even close.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:43 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
the more i think about it, the more i find trading for kaberle makes the most sense for adding a quality defenseman, instead of bouwmeester, kubina, schneider, zidlicky and all other possibilities

we get a great offensive defenseman, great first pass, markov type player, who is also very good defensively, he has a great, and i mean great contract at 4.25 million per year, and we would keep him for the next 2 seasons after this year, which would be great to leave the door open to the subbans,fischers,webers and mcdonaghs when they would be ready at that time

ray ferraro on TSN the quiz during the 1st intermission seems to agree with me, saying he thinks kaberle would be willing to waive his no trade clause to come play for mtl

higgins and obyrne for kaberle

make it happpen gainey!!!

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:45 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABIMUS-MAXIMUS View Post
I don't see a lot of the Leafs games, so I was wondering for those who know more about them than I do, who's better? Or who's a better fit for us..........PLUS, who would cost more?

Kaberle: Offensive?
Kubina: Defensive?

Thanks for the info.....
What's better? Lobster or a Fillet of Fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Kaberle's? I was under the impression that Kubina's had expired, but has Kaberle's really?

I still don't know if I see Burke blowing anything up, though... the Leafs might just be able to hang in the race until the deadline passes.
Kubina's didn't expire, it simply had a window open up for a limited time this summer. The Maple Leafs were able to trade him during that window, an when it closed, Kubina went back to having a No Trade clause in his contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ya..I'm baffled by how many people are choosing Kubina..
I thought Kaberle was an easy and obvious choice.
Agreed.

It's hilarious.

My favorite is the post where the guy said "neither with those contracts" as if Kaberle's contract was bad!

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-08-2009 at 12:07 AM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
the more i think about it, the more i find trading for kaberle makes the most sense for adding a quality defenseman, instead of bouwmeester, kubina, schneider, zidlicky and all other possibilities

we get a great offensive defenseman, great first pass, markov type player, who is also very good defensively, he has a great, and i mean great contract at 4.25 million per year, and we would keep him for the next 2 seasons after this year, which would be great to leave the door open to the subbans,fischers,webers and mcdonaghs when they would be ready at that time

ray ferraro on TSN the quiz during the 1st intermission seems to agree with me, saying he thinks kaberle would be willing to waive his no trade claude to come play for mtl

higgins and obyrne for kaberle

make it happpen gainey!!!
Speculation about Kaberle is going to take on a life of it's own over the next month, however this is really not what Ferraro said. He started his sentence off with "If I'm Tomas Kaberle ..." which only tells us what Ray would do if in TK's situation.

Having said that I think it was Doug Mclean that said tonight that Toronto would want a first plus second plus top prospect, which in my estimation should throw a wet blanket on our enthusiasm for TK.

My money is on Schneider out of Atlanta but I'm not betting the house on that either.

And for the record, I too am baffled at the interest in Kubina. He's slow, and years removed from being any good.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Slick Nick

Kaberle would be my choice... but Kubina would be also very appreciated. I'd be willing to sacrifce a good young forward or prospect for a D of that quality. Markov, Komi, Hamer, Gorges, Cube and either of Kaberle or Kubina would make our D squad among the 3 best in the league.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:00 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
No way would I move Subban...he could be a franchise player
My point exactly. He will not get Subban-like value for him.

Old
01-08-2009, 12:02 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Speculation about Kaberle is going to take on a life of it's own over the next month, however this is really not what Ferraro said. He started his sentence off with "If I'm Tomas Kaberle ..." which only tells us what Ray would do if in TK's situation.
Having said that I think it was Doug Mclean that said tonight that Toronto would want a first plus second plus top prospect, which in my estimation should throw a wet blanket on our enthusiasm for TK.

My money is on Schneider out of Atlanta but I'm not betting the house on that either.

And for the record, I too am baffled at the interest in Kubina. He's slow, and years removed from being any good.
thats exactly what i said...

ray ferraro THINKS kaberle would be willing to waive his clause to come here...

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
My point exactly. He will not get Subban-like value for him.
Subban vs Kaberle... I'd think about it.

Old
01-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Lone Rogue

Kaberle.

Better offence.
Smart defence.
Incredible contract.

Pre signing Komo, our D for next season would have Markov, Kaberle, Hamrlik and Gorges. Add Komisarek, thats five Top 4 D-men, three of which on most teams could be top 2 (Markov, Hamrlik, Kaberle).

People miss Streit? Kaberle would be Streit on steroids for our team. I don't care what he is doing in New York, if Kaberle had a team like the Habs to make that blueline and opening pass to, he'd have 60 points easily by the end of the season.

Kubina is tougher and scores more, but doesn't have the value in contract or the poise. Kaberle would give us, pound for pound, the best defensive units in the league.

Man, a Kaberle/Hamrlik unit. Unbelievable.

That said, Leafs would expect our first. Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Subban vs Kaberle... I'd think about it.
2 seasons of Tomas Kaberle. 7 seasons of PK Subban. Yeah, no.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post

As I mentionned earlier, I'd be willing to sacrifice a young forward or a F prospect first. But to get Kaberle, you have to give more than that.

I also think Subban's a little overrated... it the weakest WHJC I've seen in years, and he has made tons of errors...and attemting suicide plays that will never work in the NHL. I didn't find his defensive game very impressive either. I do believe in his potential, but I don't see him as high as some people here do. He's a keeper for sure, but we desperatly need to replace Brisebois with a sound top 4 D, and Kaberle would easily be a top pairing D in a lot of teams. His talent is spoiled in Toronto, he could be a major piece for the us in the playoffs....

Old
01-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Yes but that would be 2 seasons with Kaberle a top 10 defenseman. Over 7 seasons of PK Subban who we have no idea how well he's going to do in the NHL.

As you mentioned, adding a player of Kaberle's caliber would make our top 4 D unbelievable. If come the trade deadline our team looks poised to take a serious run for the Cup. As much as it would hurt to lose Subban, I make the trade.

01-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Yes but that would be 2 seasons with Kaberle a top 10 defenseman. Over 7 seasons of PK Subban who we have no idea how well he's going to do in the NHL.

As you mentioned, adding a player of Kaberle's caliber would make our top 4 D unbelievable. If come the trade deadline our team looks poised to take a serious run for the Cup. As much as it would hurt to lose Subban, I make the trade.
Yeah, but you would make Subban cry, he hates the Leafs. Now what kinda example is this gonna give to young players we draft. ""we are gonna send you to your most hated team!!! MWHAHAHAHAH""

But all kiddin aside, I'd exhaust other options first. We don't need such a strong top4 dman. If we do try to get Kaberle, let's see if we can't trade some of the extraweight we have among our prospects. I mean, I know its Burke, but he probably sees the value of our prospects when we gave them such a *great* players as Gabro for peanuts. We could sell them Carle, or Valentenko or other such notables. Maybe Chipchura. Lets dig in our lesser value for such a trade, see what we can grab for them.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeysense View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Leafs would never be stupid enough to trade a high-end NHL talent to a division rival. Montreal on the other hand... thanks for Grabovski
I hope your not serious.

PS.How is Raycroft doing for you guys this year?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
mooseOAK*

You wouldn't like Kaberle nor Kubina, it is Jeff Finger you really want.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:44 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Agreed.

It's hilarious.

My favorite is the post where the guy said "neither with those contracts" as if Kaberle's contract was bad!
Okay, I agree Kaberle would be a better fit for years to come because of his contract and he is better than he's playing right now.

But you cannot deny that for a single playoff run that Kubina is a better choice.

Old
01-08-2009, 02:45 PM
hockeysense*

Quote:
Okay, I agree Kaberle would be a better fit for years to come because of his contract and he is better than he's playing right now.

But you cannot deny that for a single playoff run that Kubina is a better choice.
Again, the Leafs are not going to trade one of their top-pairings to a division rival. To even think of it is asinine.

hockeysense* is offline   Reply With Quote