HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What's up with Dan Girardi?

Old
01-07-2009, 02:54 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I don't think Girardihas been playing bad. quite the opposite. my point was he hasn't been doing anything differently, just the points aren't there.

I'm not one of those that thinks a win doesn't count unless you score three goals.

so how long does Mara get a free pass for?
A free pass?

You dont think Mara's been playing well?

Hes not only been a consistent defenseman but arguably one of the Rangers top 3 players all season...

Free pass? I'm confused...

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:01 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
A free pass?

You dont think Mara's been playing well?

Hes not only been a consistent defenseman but arguably one of the Rangers top 3 players all season...

Free pass? I'm confused...
to start the season off, he was very impressive. recently his play has been tailing off, and he's now moreso the Mara we've come to know over the past couple years.

-31- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
1-Staal
2-Girardi
3-Mara
4-Rozsival
5-Redden
6-Kalinin
Exactly as I rank them.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:39 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Do people just look at the roster some days, then just make up something stupid about a player not on the front page of the boards? OMG a defenseman without points?!?!?!?! How about every single forward on this team not named Prucha and Dawes? What a waste of a thread, Daniel Girardi is a great d-man.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
He hasnt been himself lately, but he hasn't been "horrific".

Hes probably had one of his worst stretches since he's gotten to the NHL the past month or two though.

He's not doing the little things that you don't notice unless your paying attention, like little quick chip plays and finding the open man quickly while absorbing a hit. His positioning seems to be off just a tad too... At times you almost forget hes out there, and that was never the case when his game was on. He was throwing the body a lot more early on in the year and thats gone down a bit too... Nothing that is of major concern though

I think its a product of having a new partner this year (Tyutin), and/or hes taken a ton of shots from the point (we dont know if hes nicked up or not)... I hate to make excuses for him, he does have to pick it up - but I expect a better second half from him. Hes a solid dman.

Let's all take a good look at his game tonight and the rest of the week and come back to this.
Yes, he hasn't been that great lately. He's made some really bad decisions about trying to keep pucks in versus backing off and playing defense, he's had trouble reading plays coming at him quickly, and just hasn't looked as sharp as normal.

But he's also not an all-star, 1st pairing type defenseman that some people seem to think he is...he can be a good 2nd pairing guy and that's mostly what he's shown.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 04:27 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
to start the season off, he was very impressive. recently his play has been tailing off, and he's now moreso the Mara we've come to know over the past couple years.
I can't agree with that.

I havent seen his play drop off that significantly, or much at all.

Old
01-07-2009, 04:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yes, he hasn't been that great lately. He's made some really bad decisions about trying to keep pucks in versus backing off and playing defense, he's had trouble reading plays coming at him quickly, and just hasn't looked as sharp as normal.

But he's also not an all-star, 1st pairing type defenseman that some people seem to think he is...he can be a good 2nd pairing guy and that's mostly what he's shown.
Most definitely.

Hes a solid 2nd pairing guy, and to think hes anything more would be a mistake.

Some think just because you pick up a decent amount of points as a defensman you're suddenly a number 1a/b guy... you're right, the expectations shouldn't be that high.

Old
01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwright79 View Post
This guy came out flying in September, and has been on a horrific point drought for the past two months. Has anybody got any clue as to why he's been so offensively quiet
Because he has been playing defense.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGravesNight View Post
Do people just look at the roster some days, then just make up something stupid about a player not on the front page of the boards? OMG a defenseman without points?!?!?!?! How about every single forward on this team not named Prucha and Dawes? What a waste of a thread, Daniel Girardi is a great d-man.
In the posters defense, he's clearly not a Rangers fan and was probably legitimately curios at to why a young guy that was putting up impressive points has slowed down. He's just unfamiliar with our on-ice play, and probably wants to know for fantasy reasons.

Quote:
I would have to completely disagree with that assessment. Mara has been solid all year for us.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 06:16 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

To me Staal, Mara and Girardi have been very solid this season. Girardi's early point production wasn't something I was expecting of him and more of an "extra". Rozi is coming back to form and is playing quite a solid game lately as well.

Redden seems to be playing better lately but is still too passive.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
shon

Girardi almost plays a flawless game. he makes sublte great plays. they won't pass it to him because he is covered.
he is playing great..but not putting up the points . because of Redden. who has no vision to make a pass.
Girardi gets no respect. he is a million times better than Staal but too bad for him he has no brothers playing in the NHL./

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 07:38 PM
In The Flesh

Girardi is fine, he's solid. And he's playing physical, something this D doesn't do a lot of. Has Girardi fought yet?? I love to see how he'd do. He's def. getting a mean streak.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
shon

look on you tube. against zajac... he almost was mean . killed him. he is a big kid. \\
he knows how to fight but doesn't want to sit in the box for 5 min. more effective on the ice. this kid is smart. i have to remember he is going to be 25 this year. not exactly a kid.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:11 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

IF there are any weaknesses in Girardi's game right now it can be directly attributed to playing with 2 of the worst defenseman to wear a nyr uniform in quite some time. GO from playing with an uptempo, physical, and fairly reliable defenseman in tyutin to being saddled with kalinen and redden and wonder why he's looking like a dog now. I scored 2nd row seats last night and watched every shift they took very closely, girardi does ALL the legwork in the corners while redden just stands there in the tripod position. As far as i see it girardi girardi is still top 3 no doubt about it.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
IF there are any weaknesses in Girardi's game right now it can be directly attributed to playing with 2 of the worst defenseman to wear a nyr uniform in quite some time. GO from playing with an uptempo, physical, and fairly reliable defenseman in tyutin to being saddled with kalinen and redden and wonder why he's looking like a dog now. I scored 2nd row seats last night and watched every shift they took very closely, girardi does ALL the legwork in the corners while redden just stands there in the tripod position. As far as i see it girardi girardi is still top 3 no doubt about it.
He was phenomenal to start the season, much better than he was last year with Tyutin. Hard to point the blame at Redden when he was stellar with Redden on his pairing.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote