HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban Better than McDo?

Old
01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
gillyguzzler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
See.....that's where I just disagree. He didn't constantly joined the rush....he wasn't pinching on every play, and was sometimes going for a big hit but not all the time.

There was one play that struck me, people probably don't remember, but he was in his zone close to the blue line, passing the puck between him and Ellis just prior to start a play since they were on the PP......But then just as they were going to start the rush, he let Ellis alone at Canada's blue line and started to skate towards the center zone. Sweden saw Ellis alone and 2 forwards start attacking him to try to create a turnover....Subban had to suddenly came back to stop it. So plays like THAT he can do. Passing spinoramas needs to be reduced....not stop 'cause Markov does it from time to time and tons of other d-men in the league do it.....obviously more accurately that Subban 'cause they have the experience. But I wouldn't say to Subban to just stop it....I would say to him to recognize more when it has to be done. As far as pinching and rushes.....It's the winger's job to recognize that Subban is going for the homerun to take his place.

But I just can't believe that some people are not recognizing the progress he made defensively. Does people see the numerous times that despite being smaller than his opponent, he wins a lot of battles along the boards AND takes the puck from him and make a good first pass? And how many pokechecks he did that were succesful.

Does he need to be better defensively? Absolutely. Like every juniors out there....from Tavares a forward, to the big Hedman who made some bonehead plays, to Karlsson who I thought was great as a 2-way and will be a great d-man for the Sens, but still made some strange decisions throughout the tournament.....

But the improvement he made from when he was drafted is somewhat spectacular. He just need to continue that way and seems to me that his personnality and character won't let him relax....He'll work hard improving.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with him joining the rush if he has the stamina to do it. He just can't be leading the rush all the time and can't be ahead of his forwards on the rush if he doesn't have the puck (which he used to do). Too many defensemen casually stride up the ice but I'd rather see the D boot it up the ice and become on option as a trailer.

BTW, PK's dad is immigrated to the Moulin fleurs (flower mill) area of Sudbury, a predominantly french speaking part of town, or at least it used to be.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Never seen Markov truly help the offense like the top offensive Ds do. And i've watched every Habs games since the mid 90s. He's great, don't get me wrong. But it's just not his style. PK has a completly different style. He's a guy that will cary the puck a la Paul Coffey. And I hope he doesn't change.
You need to pay more attention then...Markov IS the Habs key in both zones. When he's not on his game, the whole team suffers, especially offensively.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
You need to pay more attention then...Markov IS the Habs key in both zones. When he's not on his game, the whole team suffers, especially offensively.
He is 'The General'

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
He is 'The General'
It's true though...i've got trouble understanding how anyone who watches the Habs could say that Markov "doesn't help the offense".

Old
01-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
It's true though...i've got trouble understanding how anyone who watches the Habs could say that Markov "doesn't help the offense".
People is just look at points these days...

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:38 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
A bit of OT but of course Markov is an offensive D, he's top ten in the league.

I find that rushing the puck from end to end is not nearly the same part of the game it used to be, while the ability to make an accurate two-line is now huge thanks to the elimination of the red line. If Paul Coffey were in the league today, he'd make far fewer rushes by himself. The game has changed.
+1

I guess Lidstrom is not an offensive defenceman, because he doesn't rush the with the puck from end to end...

Saying that Markov is not an offensive defenceman is pretty strange (I try to remain respectfull here)...

As for the McDo/Subban comparaison, I'm tired of always downgrading a prospect/player to another one, Higgins vs Latendresse, Halak vs Price, O'Byrne vs Bouillon, Kostitsyn vs Kostitsyn...

I mean both are great prospects, one might have a little more upside offensively than the other, but who cares... they complete each other perfectly, I drool over the idea of a pairing D composed of McDo-Subban with Markov and Komi in front of them...

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
People is just look at points these days...
They obviously don't...because isn't Markov our leading point getter? Or top 2?

Old
01-07-2009, 04:01 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
BTW, PK's dad is immigrated to the Moulin fleurs (flower mill) area of Sudbury, a predominantly french speaking part of town, or at least it used to be.
What's actually funny is that the sector is called 'Moulin Fleur' in french, and 'Flour Mill' in English.

So the mill isn't for flowers, it's for flour. But due to poor translation, a lot of Northern Ontarians say fleur instead of farine.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:11 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
absolutely insane footwork.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:47 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

I seriously think Subban has everthing to become the next big D superstar.. This kid is incredible! He is to me our best prospect, Ive him even over Paccioretty.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 05:57 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
His defense has to improve for him to play in the NHL.
Nothing wrong with his defense, he has been realible and solid defensively all the tournament long.. Was pretty solid one on one and was reading the play really well.. This kid has everything!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Nothing wrong with his defense, he has been realible and solid defensively all the tournament long.. Was pretty solid one on one and was reading the play really well.. This kid has everything!
What does everyone always say?

You can't teach Offense, you can't teach Vision, you can't teach Hockey Sense, you can't teach these types of skills

You can teach defense... the Habs organisation has great teachers

He is only 19 years old

Just wait and see, this kid could be something else

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote