HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Renney Tinkering Again

Old
01-07-2009, 01:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
That's a pretty abysmal way to put things into perspective. That's like saying Betts is a better offensive player than Korps b/c he may have as many or more points as Korps.

Again, numbers aren't everything, especially in this case.
No, I think its fairly telling. You are saying his linemates are bringing him down but those same players have more points. And when he did get time with better players his production still didn't increase.

I'm not saying he's not a useful player. I just think any enthusiasm about or hopes for offensive production need to be tempered a bit. And right now, the biggest thing that Korps brings to the table is his defensive play.

01-07-2009, 01:37 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
No, I think its fairly telling. You are saying his linemates are bringing him down but those same players have more points. And when he did get time with better players his production still didn't increase.

I'm not saying he's not a useful player. I just think any enthusiasm about or hopes for offensive production need to be tempered a bit.
Yes let's base his 2 games with "better linemates" (nazzy and gomer) and call it a day. His numbers didn't go up, what a shame.

Renney made Korpi's role evident. Korpi said he knows what his role is when playing on the bottom two lines. His role was for checking purposes, defensive purposes. His placement with guys like Betts, Orr, Sjostrom was done for him to take a defensive role. So yes, off-course that's going to bring his production down. Actually, not bring it down, but prevent it from increasing.

Let's compare 3rd 4th line guys who've been in the league for multiple seaons, and have produced numbers that are low to a offensive 2way kid(the way i see it) who is in his first nhl season. Korpi knows that on the bottom two lines he needs to do the little things to have a sucessful checking role, which is why he's more conservative. He knows a few rough patches will have him scratched. Like I said, playing on the top two lines gives him more breathing room to play the game he is capable of playing. A two-way offensive game.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2009, 01:39 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

I'm not saying he's not a useful player. I just think any enthusiasm about or hopes for offensive production need to be tempered a bit. And right now, the biggest thing that Korps brings to the table is his defensive play.

We are Rangers fans after all...aren't we?

What I see in Korps (and what I hope he will become), is a player in the mold of Sammy Pahlsson.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Looks like the Korpedo should be back, as per Sam.

Good. Voros really needs to be out of the lineup for a few games.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/0...t-an-all-star/

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 03:19 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Looks like the Korpedo should be back, as per Sam.

Good. Voros really needs to be out of the lineup for a few games.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2009/0...t-an-all-star/
Good move especially since its straight up.

I think what the line of Voros - Dubi - Z needed last night was another strong forechecker with a better nose for the open spaces and better defensive zone play. Korpikoski will deliver that. Not to mention not running into his own players and the ability to stay on his feet more than 60% of the time.

Really really hope that line clicks in Buffalo for all 3 of their sakes. All three of them need a goal in the worst way to get some kind of roll going, especially Dubinsky.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote